That rocks!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#32 of 56 Old 10-12-2007, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by starry_mama View Post
I just called, they are "currently out of the office for lunch." On a side note, I love when they say, "if this is an emergency, hang up the phone and call 911." It sounds so snarky and I love it.
I called L&D a lot the last month and a half of dd's pregnancy because of having BV and PTL issues. I loved that they always asked if there was a foot coming out of my vagina, and then reminded me if that ever happened that I needed to call an ambulance right away rather than call them, and to not drive myself to the hospital. : Because if there's a foot coming out of me I'm going to be calling and discussing my contractions with you- don't they think I'd remember to mention body parts dangling out of my vagina???
#33 of 56 Old 10-13-2007, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I thought random body parts protruding from your vagina was a normal thing?

#34 of 56 Old 10-15-2007, 02:07 PM

Reusable chux:

http://www.1cascade.com/ProductInfo....roductid=08116

I saw them cheaper somewhere else, but I can't remember where...

#35 of 56 Old 10-16-2007, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Do you know what theya re made out of? I wonder if I could make some........
#36 of 56 Old 10-16-2007, 09:27 PM

We used them at the hospital all the freaking time. I would assume some pul or cut up some waterproof tablecloths or shower curtains, with a layer of what I remember being quilting or some towels (cheaper?). You could probably just put a layer or two of towelling or old quilts from the thrift shop and sew them to the waterproof layer. I wouldn't worry about edges, but you could serge them, T&T, or do a close zigzag on the edge.

I bought almost all my UC stuff! There are a few things I need-sheets and towels from the thrift store or clearance rack, bowl and freezer bag for placenta, hose and such for the pool, waterproof tablecloths for floor, heating pad, hydrogen peroxide, witch hazel, rocker, cotton rounds, snacks, and some baby shirts and gowns. I want to make up a Born At Home shirt, too. I can print that on transfer sheets and make my own, probably.

I got the baby dresser today, too, so I have been going through stuff. We've been insanely busy today. I also need to make up some RRL tea! I am trying to figure out a good recipe. I need to start exercising more, too. I think this kid flipped transverse yesterday, and I'm trying to move her back. I know it's still early, but NO transverse babies!

#37 of 56 Old 10-18-2007, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

My baby was transverse, but he/she finally moved head down! YAY!

All of our towels are random beach towels from who knows where, so we are using those for the birth, and then buying new bath towels. I'm very excited about that. I've been wanting new towels for awhile.

I was feeling SO anxious about UCing before, but ever since I cancelled that midwife appointment, my anxieties have disappeared. I have now realized that I wasn't anxious about the birth until I started involving other people/interventions. So thats a good reminder to me to stay calm, stay healthy, and keep people and their advice the heck away from me.
#38 of 56 Old 10-18-2007, 09:49 PM

Absolutely! And I am now 99% done buying stuff! I only need a few odds and ends (bowl for placenta, nursing gowns and bras, rocker, superglue, hose adaptors, etc.)!!

#39 of 56 Old 10-20-2007, 08:43 AM

i got the best "gag gift" from my sister.

Her husband is an EMT and she gave me a little ziploc bag thing filled with umbilical clamps, chux pads, a bulb syringe, all sorts of random things the EMTs use when delivering a baby.

I don't LIKE umbilical clamps, and didn't plan on getting any of that stuff, but the chux pads will come in handy postpartum (I like birthing in a room with easy-to-clean surfaces, so I won't be birthing in bed, bathtub, shower, bathroom, kitchen, living room- we don't have leather couches and hardwood floors for no reason!)

I don't like a bulb syringe, but it's good to have one on hand. sterile scissors for the cord are a nice touch, we always just use the same scissors we use every day for arts & crafts (wiped down before & after)

Anyhow, it's a cool thing to have on hand, but if I open it now the sterility (which is just a novelty to me) will be compromised, and that takes away some of the fun. we'll crack it open when she's born if I remember, so at least then the kids won't lose all the pieces.
#40 of 56 Old 10-20-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw826 View Post
Absolutely! And I am now 99% done buying stuff! I only need a few odds and ends (bowl for placenta, nursing gowns and bras, rocker, superglue, hose adaptors, etc.)!!
hose adaptors???????
#41 of 56 Old 10-20-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarussell View Post
hose adaptors???????
for filling the pool... not for baby!
#42 of 56 Old 10-20-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarussell View Post
hose adaptors???????
To fill up my pool inside using my faucet.

That's a pretty neat gag gift, at least. I can't see how much help those clamps would be, though! I got a pair of sterile scissors for $4 from inhishands because I use all mine in the kitchen or for sewing and I know they won't be much good.

#43 of 56 Old 10-22-2007, 12:08 AM

Thank you. Unfortunately many of us live in areas where midwives are illegal or the options are overwhelmed or not good. Plus many of us want to UC anyways.

I understand. I chose a UC for one of mine. I am also an "illegal" midwife, as are all the midwives (that are not CNM's, and they don't do home birth) in this state. I am not saying a person should not UC. I just hate to see people feeling they have no choice. If UC is your heart's desire, great. If you are "settling " for it - or "settling" for ANYTHING, I hate to see it!!
#44 of 56 Old 10-27-2007, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

So I have started to up my daily dose of vitamin C. I am trying to strengthen my bag of waters, since they tend to rupture early and before I'm ready for labor. I would like to avoid that this time. Anyone else taking supps? And what are they for? :
#45 of 56 Old 10-27-2007, 12:21 PM

From that other post,

I take right now:

1 prenatal vitamin
1 Calcium + Vitamin D
1 packet Emergen-C
1 large acidophilus packed smoothie with flax
2-3 pints of RRL, Alfalfa, Oatstraw, and Rosehips tea
2 garlic pills
large glass of cranberry juice (no sugar added) before bed

In a couple weeks I add:
1 more packet Emergen-C
3 capsules Echinacea
1 more clove of garlic
1-3 mega probiotics capsules
1 tsp liquid chlorophyll
GSE
3 capsules EPO

----------------------------

Man, I was trying to take a whole clove of garlic and http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=777127

I keep trying to kill myself. I have oral issues. So I got those garlic pills. They are strong, but I have yet to choke and die, thankfully. I got them on sale at CVS when I picked up dh's insulin.

Do you have all your stuff together? I have almost everything now. I nested a bit last night and went through the house to trash/donate/take to the garage a bunch of stuff. I need to rearrange the kids' room to fit a mini trampoline for my SID ds at some point. Their room is so tiny and stuffed already, it will have to be a miracle!

#46 of 56 Old 10-27-2007, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

I feel basically ready. We actually just got a mini trampoline for my SID son. Its in the middle of our kitchen basically. We don't have much room, and I'm willing to walk around it constantly, because its been so amazing to have. Everytime Danny starts sprinting through the house on his tip toes, I point at the trampoline and he jumps like a madman, instead of driving me bonkers.

I am taking cod liver oil, vitamin C (1500-2000mg), acidophilius, calcium+magnesium, and I think I have a UTI, so I just sent DH to the store for some cranberry. I think my acidophilus is weak because its kinda old, so I just made some yogurt and will just eat that until I can get to the HFS and get more acidophilus. I don't trust DH to pick that out. I am also eating garlic, but I haven't been super consistent about it.
#47 of 56 Old 10-27-2007, 08:43 PM

I have been eating fruit and yogurt heavy smoothies with flax seeds until I got my mega probiotics from the frontier co-op. Come on co-op!! That blender is a PIA to clean!

That's cool that you have good results with your trampoline and ds, I know he needs it. Now just to find an affordable one and somewhere to put it!

#48 of 56 Old 10-28-2007, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw826 View Post
I have been eating fruit and yogurt heavy smoothies with flax seeds until I got my mega probiotics from the frontier co-op. Come on co-op!! That blender is a PIA to clean!

That's cool that you have good results with your trampoline and ds, I know he needs it. Now just to find an affordable one and somewhere to put it!
We found our trampoline at Big Lots for $20, and I had a 20% off coupon, so it was only $16! I was so happy.
#49 of 56 Old 10-28-2007, 03:43 PM

Awesome! I think that's where we are getting our rocking chair, so I will check while I'm there. Do you think the handle bar is necessary?

#50 of 56 Old 10-28-2007, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

No. Ours is called the body burner or something, it came with a tall pole and these extender things for the bottom pegs, to make it go at an angle. We just left it all in the box, and use it like a regular trampoline, and it works fine. At first I thought we needed the safety bar things, but we decided to give this one a shot and it is fine. They don't bounce very high like big trampolines do.
#51 of 56 Old 10-29-2007, 03:15 PM

haven't gathered any birth supplies still, but I dug out all the blankies from the garage. I'm thinking I need to also round up some ick towels and blankets for birthing comfort.

I think, once again, I will aim for the bathroom for easy clean-up. It was really nice last time to birth in the bathroom, step into the shower, be clean and fresh and THEN go lay down in bed for a few days (OK not like I really laid down much, but still, the existence of the clean comfy nest was comforting)

I still haven't decided if I want a nighttime or a daytime labor yet. Not that I'm sure i have a choice in the matter. The flash on my camera is unpredictable, though- so maybe daytime would be better.
#52 of 56 Old 10-29-2007, 03:49 PM

I'm worried about the flash, too. I hate bright lights. But our apt. is so dang dark, even during the day we have to use it!

I'm sure this baby will come at night.

#53 of 56 Old 10-29-2007, 04:46 PM

I might venture out today to pick up the rest of the supplies I need then at some point gather everything together. Not really feeling any sense of urgency about it like "Must.get.done.now." I think I just want a project to work on in addition to the daily marathon of toddler chasing.
#54 of 56 Old 10-31-2007, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

So either I wasn't getting a UTI or my extreme bitchiness scared it off. Or maybe the vitamin C/cranberry. Either way, I feel way better.
#55 of 56 Old 11-01-2007, 06:14 AM

I wish my extreme bitchyness would scare off this neck pain and carpal tunnel bs! I've been up since 330am :
#56 of 56 Old 11-01-2007, 12:44 PM

I slept like total crap. I hate my neighbors so much. I really wish they would drop off the face of the planet or move across the country or something. They had AT LEAST 10 different cars of people come over last night between 1am-530am. And the stairs are right by my bed and you can hear them go up and down, up and down, up and down all freaking night!!!! It makes me murderous.

In other news, we are going to family's house for Thanksgiving. I realized the other day I will be ~36-37 weeks during that 4 hour drive fiasco (4 there, 4 back). What if I go into labor? I'm certainly not going to the hospital, but my in-laws will probably be about as supportive of UC as they would my dh dressing like a woman for the rest of his life. So I need to figure out what to do if that happens. I'm sure baby won't come until right around Xmas anyways, but just in case...

And I haven't gone to my OB for almost 4 weeks now, thank goodness. But he requested an u/s at 32 weeks which I never scheduled and I'm thinking of calling back and asking for it. I just can NOT figure out how this baby is situated in here! I have always been good at telling, and I am at a total loss! I think she's diagonal or something. But I don't want to see my doctor or give them the illusion that I am even moderately forgiving of their last insaneness.

Should I call and tell them I won't need their services or just wait?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page