What are your vax plans? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 56 Old 10-10-2007, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No vaccines? Delayed? Selective? Your doc's schedule? Just wondering what you all are planning to do re: vaccines. As for us we definitely want to delay, but I'm not sure beyond there. So long as we find a pedi who's on board (which seems like it won't be too hard according to my tribal area), I figure we'll just agree not to do anything until 12 or maybe 24 months and I'll look into it more THEN. Heh. I'd love to hear what other people are planning, though, so share whatever you'd like!

I also wouldn't mind any resources that anyone's found helpful in creating their own delayed/selective vax schedule.

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
#2 of 56 Old 10-10-2007, 03:44 PM

I'll do Polio and DTaP at the 2, 4 and 6 month appointments. I always make sure they order the kind that isn't derived from fetal cell lines. We skip everything else (though DS had the HiB before I knew any better). www.cogforlife.org is the website I use to make most of my decisions on vaxes.
#3 of 56 Old 10-10-2007, 04:14 PM

We won't be doing any vaccinating. With my daughter I had planned to keep delaying until I was convinced one way or the other...and the more I researched the more I found little reason to vaccinate her.

Emily Wife to Luke and Mama to: Violet 9-20-05 Fletcher 12-20-07 : and Owen 7-03-09
#4 of 56 Old 10-10-2007, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No vax at all.

Not willing to risk my kidlets lives or health.

Sheal
#5 of 56 Old 10-10-2007, 04:24 PM

none at all.

i have 2 vaccine damaged boys.

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
#6 of 56 Old 10-10-2007, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Absolutely no vaxes. Period.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#7 of 56 Old 10-10-2007, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
No vaxes here. Since we don't plan on having them attend childcare or public schools, I can't find any convincing reasons to vaccinate before the child is old enough to make that decision for themselves.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#8 of 56 Old 10-10-2007, 05:03 PM

I'm in the "No Vaxes" camp as well - or at least very delayed. I'm considering the IPV a little bit later; if DD hasn't been exposed to Measles or Rubella in her teen years, it will be time to do a little thoughtful thinking regarding this.

Otherwise, for now and at least five years, NONE.
#9 of 56 Old 10-10-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneymoonBaby View Post
I'll do Polio and DTaP at the 2, 4 and 6 month appointments. I always make sure they order the kind that isn't derived from fetal cell lines. We skip everything else (though DS had the HiB before I knew any better). www.cog4life.org is the website I use to make most of my decisions on vaxes.
The website won't come up.
#10 of 56 Old 10-10-2007, 05:12 PM

I'd planned on getting DD the DT vax (no pertussis component), but with her being sick and me being lazy, it hasn't gotten done yet. So...no vaxes for her yet. We won't even consider vaxes for the new baby until they're two.
#11 of 56 Old 10-10-2007, 05:13 PM

No vaxes. None of our kids have had any. There are circumstances under which I would consider some (when our kids are bigger, due to where we live and our outdoor/farmish lifestyle, tetanus might make sense) but only if I can get them separated. I'm always willing to consider the individual merits of anything such as that, but I'm not easy to convince.

When it comes to my kids, it's not enough to tell me that "there's no evidence that xxx causes harm." I need to see the evidence that it is actually beneficial beyond all doubt! And then of course, I have to do the risk v benefit thing....

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#12 of 56 Old 10-10-2007, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheal View Post
No vax at all.

Not willing to risk my kidlets lives or health.

Sheal
Yep, this is me too.

And I'm going to take this wee moment to gush about my dh. Our 22 mo old came down with about 4 different illnesses all at once 2 mos ago. The poor kid was a mess but he recovered quickly, with nothing but natural remedies (grapefruit seed extract, etc.). When I pointed this out to dh, he said "That's because he's got a healthy immune system, we didn't F it all up with vaccines." Ah, I love that man.

But ANYWAY, whatever you decide, good for you for doing the research! There is a LOT to learn out there about vaccines.

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#13 of 56 Old 10-10-2007, 05:22 PM

No vax. I won't even vaccinate my cat-baby

Heather, ds Dante (12.28.07) and due in April.
#14 of 56 Old 10-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Banned

no vaxes at all.

And the website Honeymoonbaby is talking about is www.cogforlife.org
#15 of 56 Old 10-10-2007, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

There's SO much info to look into! So I haven't done much research yet. But I do figure I won't do anything for the first year, and spend that first year deciding if/when to do anything else.

The only thing that might change that is a potential trip to India around baby's 1st bday time, but I don't know if any vaxes are recommended for that. We'll be in a city area and staying with family and not traveling around much, so who knows. I'll look into it when I need to. Researching vax stuff makes my head hurt. I mean, I still haven't found a detergent to wash my cloth diapers in, lol.

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
#16 of 56 Old 10-10-2007, 06:10 PM

We'll be vaxing on a delayed schedule, no "super" vaxes (you know, the ones where they combine so many in one shot) and we won't do rotavirus and I'm on the fence on HIB and PCV7 (prevnar). We'll probably start at 4 months with DTaP and IPV. Our ped has agreed to help us work out a schedule we are comfortable with.

Christa
#17 of 56 Old 10-10-2007, 06:20 PM

We're doing a delayed schedule, unless we decide to just skip everything by then. And I'm annoyed by my co-workers, "But don't they make you get them?" Yes. They make us. Because this is the Soviet Union and we have absolutely no say in anything. And we can't just walk out of the office with our child. Because our legs and arms are broken.
Hmmm, maybe I should check to see if there's a "sarcastic" mood....

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#18 of 56 Old 10-10-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeMuffin View Post
There's SO much info to look into! So I haven't done much research yet. But I do figure I won't do anything for the first year, and spend that first year deciding if/when to do anything else.

This is a good book to read....cheap, not a huge tome, good basic info.

Just to get you started!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#19 of 56 Old 10-10-2007, 08:47 PM

We are VERY pro-vax, but we vaccinate very slowly and on a delayed "schedule" - and I use that word in it's losest possible sense, since other than deciding we'd go one at a time and every 2 months at the most, we don't really have one. I'm psychotic about not vaccinating him when he's sick, so he's presently behind where I figured he'd be, but he has done all the DtaP, HiB, and IPV series and we're currently working through a separated MMR. We tried Prevnar but he had a bad reaction to the first shot, so we'll wait and do the Pneumoccocal conjugate after he's 7, with Chicken Pox if he doesn't get them naturally. We're waiting on Hep B until he's old enough to need it, and I'd really like to do Hepetitis A and the travel series when he's an older adolescent (Cholera, Yellow Fever, etc), just in case there was a break down in public health and those diseases became an issue. 50% less chance of dying from Cholera? Sign. me. up!

I actually started out being VERY anti-vax, and did all my research and reading including reading every vaccine-injury court case in the US for my summer job my first year of law school. When I was pregnant with E I sat down with DH, who has a degree in molecular biology, and talked it over with him... it was a very enlightening and humbling experience, especially watching him give me that look he has that says "I love you, but what you've said is so ignorant as to cause me actual, physical pain" when I asked him about some of the things I read in books and on anti-vax websites. He was very patient and kind to me and explained in small words with lots of drawings and examples (because I'm a total science idiot) what the science was and wasn't, which really changed my mind about vaccines -- probably because I know that he didn't have any skin in the game; no one was paying him and he'd already decided to let me make the decision regarding vaccines.

But we did both agree that the standard schedule was too much, too fast for our kids -- especially since it's designed the way it is mroe of 'public' health and our for-profit health system than the health of babies. We know that we're going to be responsible and take our kids in for their shots, so we see no reason to rush things. We're also psychotic about making sure that if our kids have even a minor adverse reaction (anything more than a low fever or a small bump or redness at the injection site) we stop that vax immediately. The majority of the vaccine cases I read were kids who'd had a minor bad reaction and whose parents were told to blow that off by their docs and went on to give another dose.
#20 of 56 Old 10-10-2007, 08:56 PM

http://www.nvic.org/

National vaccine information center. Seems straightforward, someone please tell me if they lean one way or the other.

We do not vax at all. Ever read the ingredients? They're against our religious beliefs in addition to the very notion of vaxing in the first place.

The tetanus issue is a strange one- The bacteria cannot survive in an oxygenated area. Blood has oxygen. So um.... if it can't survive there, why am I worried? Besides, if one did want to get a teatnus shot, they're effective even 72 hours after an incident. Why get something if you don't need it?

I shook my head at the media coverage of the measles outbreak last year. They blamed those evil non vaxed people for spreading it. But if the vax was so effective, why did so many vaccinated people come down with it anyway?
#21 of 56 Old 10-10-2007, 09:00 PM

We used to vax, but quit about 14 years ago. The only vaccines I would consider use fetal tissue as a growth medium. I am also concerned at the # of my friends, in their 40's and 50's dealing with auto immune disorders. Lupus, MS, crones, etc I believe God created the immune system to work well, and while I know we live in a fallen world where illnesses happen, it just plain bothers me to inject my child's delicate, growing immune system with biological substances.

TraceyKy Wife, mama, Midwife
#22 of 56 Old 10-10-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacup9 View Post
The website won't come up.
www.cogforlife.org

Sorry, I'll go edit.
#23 of 56 Old 10-10-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva Mama View Post
I shook my head at the media coverage of the measles outbreak last year. They blamed those evil non vaxed people for spreading it. But if the vax was so effective, why did so many vaccinated people come down with it anyway?
My dad is on medicaid since he's disabled. During the outbreak they sent a letter telling how important it was to get the vax because "85% of non-vaccinated people will get the disease, but most won't know because they won't have symptoms besides a mild cough." Ummm, then WHY get the vax if it's so mild I likely won't even know I have it?? :
#24 of 56 Old 10-11-2007, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Belleweather, I actually had kind of an opposite reaction with dh. He is a chemist and used to work in pharma (now teaches organic chem). I was the bio-girl. When I started showing him things he was amazed at how under-emphasized many scary things were in non-vax literature. Everyone is different.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#25 of 56 Old 10-11-2007, 04:42 AM

I am a bit confused on where and (IF) when we are vaxxing. There is a bit of a family history on reactions to vaxxes--my mother will go into anaplylactic shock if she has a tetnus booster, and my daughter is (documented) allergic to ana-pertussis of the DTaP shot.

We live in the UK for now, but would really like to move back to the USA about when this little one is 3-6 months old. I am terribly uncertain what are the "true" laws on infant vax and travel or what is the "pharma-money" laws.

I'd prefer to separate, delay, and select what vaxxes little one gets.

Karin, Wife to Dear Sweet English Husband~Soon to be Legally American. Mom to Zach~13, Lily~9, Alex~2, and Izzy or Zeke arriving July 2010! Living a life full of LOVE!
#26 of 56 Old 10-11-2007, 06:24 AM

I need to research this more thoroughly. I don't want to just to vax without thinking about it. At the same time my LO will be in group settings. He'll stay with MIL for the first year or so-but then we may end up putting him in daycare. I don't want him to be susceptible to every germ he comes into contact with. We also may travel to Mexico while he is still a baby. I know that I don't want to give the hep shot when he's born-we will likely wait awhile, and we are foregoing the eye goop.

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.
#27 of 56 Old 10-11-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsaraw View Post
No vax. I won't even vaccinate my cat-baby
Roger that.

My research on cat vaccines is why I don't vaccinate my kiddo(s)
#28 of 56 Old 10-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Banned

I think a few are important and we get them on a one-at-a-time schedule. The others we skip completely or delay until it becomes more critical. For example, I think Hib is critical - I know two toddlers who died from meningitis. I don't think Hep B is necessary at this point, so we don't do it.
#29 of 56 Old 10-11-2007, 12:47 PM

We selectively vax.

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#30 of 56 Old 10-11-2007, 02:48 PM

For those of you who selectively vac, how do you decide what and when to do it? How is delaying better than doing it early? I'm newly researching this...

Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page