Birth Announcements? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-01-2007, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone making theirs? I plan on making ours, and found an invitation/announcement kit last night at Target on sale for $5! It looks kind of like wedding invitations- a bottom layer that's green with baby feet in GN colors across the bottom border, then a second layer where you write the announcement and they're held together by a blue, pink, and white striped bow. I LOVE them. I plan on sending them out with a picture of the four of us from the birth day (after I've showered and cleaned up...if I'd had an Oct. baby and could have sent them for Halloween it wouldn't have mattered! ).

But I have no clue how to word them! I know at the top I'll probably put a little message to the effect of "Sorry we missed you at Christmas, as you can see we've been quite busy this Holiday Season! Have a safe and wonderful 2008!" (we're not sending cards/going out for holidays this year). But other than that, I'm clueless. The example announcement says "Diaper pins and bottles, Rattles and bows, These are the little things that our new baby brings" than goes on to have the baby's name and stats with "Proud Parents So-and-So" below. But I'm not fond of that.

Anyone have any suggestions or websites to get cute ideas off of? And would it be odd to mention on the announcements that the baby was born at home? It will most likely be DH and I catching the baby ourselves so I thought something like "Reese Elizabeth was born gently at home into mama and daddy's hands on December XX, 2007" and then putting her weight/height below. Does that sound okay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 11-01-2007, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I like these:

http://www.tinyprints.com/products/ProductView_2185.htm

Family lives pretty far away, so I might just order the ones online with pictures.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#3 of 14 Old 11-01-2007, 03:33 PM

Yup, it's what I do for a living.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#4 of 14 Old 11-01-2007, 07:20 PM

As far as the wording goes, I'm not so into the little poems--I like keeping it fairly simple. I was just planning on writing something like:
Jen (me) and Aaron (him) joyfully announce the arrival of their son, Cyrus Boone, born at home on (when)
(height)
(weight)
and then it might have a sweet one-liner like "Welcome to the world, baby boy."

Since my boyfriend is a graphic designer and I'm a semi-professional photographer, we'll probably make our own announcements using my photos and..er...borrow the printing equipment at his work.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#5 of 14 Old 11-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Banned

I've been thinking about this because I do want to get announcements out fairly quickly after baby is born. I've always thought it was a teensy bit pretentious to include "Born at Home" on the cards - because it's like you're bragging about it - you'd never put "Born at a Hospital." KWIM? It's like you're maybe doing it for shock value. And I usually think it's better to have these things come up naturally rather than broadcasting them.

On the other hand, I think I will be very proud of my accomplishments, hopefully thrilled with my birth, and I also think it's important to get the idea out there that yes, normal people have babies at home safely. I am torn. Any thoughts??
#6 of 14 Old 11-01-2007, 07:58 PM

these aren't homemade, but we're hoping that we deliver in time to order these. (i'm due dec 1.)

i just don't want to have to think about xmas cards AND birth announcements, so combining them is the only option for me. if i don't deliver in time to order those, i'll be buying regular holiday cards and using flickr to order prints of digital photos from the birth to stick inside them.
#7 of 14 Old 11-01-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCKH View Post
I've been thinking about this because I do want to get announcements out fairly quickly after baby is born. I've always thought it was a teensy bit pretentious to include "Born at Home" on the cards - because it's like you're bragging about it - you'd never put "Born at a Hospital." KWIM? It's like you're maybe doing it for shock value. And I usually think it's better to have these things come up naturally rather than broadcasting them.

On the other hand, I think I will be very proud of my accomplishments, hopefully thrilled with my birth, and I also think it's important to get the idea out there that yes, normal people have babies at home safely. I am torn. Any thoughts??
Yeah, I was going back and forth on that very same issue. I was wondering if it was bragging or trying to be contrary. But it feels right to put a simple "born at home on Dec...." on the announcements (provided that he is, of course). Having a homebirth is something that's become very meaningful to me, philosophically. I want my loved ones to know when my son was born, and how big he was, but also where and how he came into the world.

Totally off topic, one thing I fully admit to doing just for shock value and giggles is this: if the birth goes as planned, I'm going to make a little onesie with an iron-on transfer that says "My mama had a homebirth and all I got was this lousy tee-shirt." I giggle just thinking of it.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#8 of 14 Old 11-01-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamatobe View Post
Totally off topic, one thing I fully admit to doing just for shock value and giggles is this: if the birth goes as planned, I'm going to make a little onesie with an iron-on transfer that says "My mama had a homebirth and all I got was this lousy tee-shirt." I giggle just thinking of it.
That's ADORABLE.

I also plan to combine New Year's cards (we don't really celebrate Christmas or Chanukah, although we include ourselves in the family celebrations for fun - my family's Hindu and his is half Jewish and half Unitarian) with birth announcements. I'm thinking about using vistaprint.com since it seems to have some awesome deals.

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
#9 of 14 Old 11-01-2007, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCKH View Post

I'm not sure. I've never gotten actual birth announcements in the mail. Around here, it's more common just to put the generic one in the paper (at least for our family/friends)...so I've only ever seen the ones that have the name of the hospital the baby was born at on them. That's why I was thinking where most announcements (like store bought ones) just say "born" I'll just add an "at home" to that. Like slip it in, but not make a big deal. I found some ideas for wording at VerseIt.com (which is the site we used for wedding invitation wording as well) that I thought were cute. I just want to get them all saved up on the computer so once the baby is born I can just add the birth stats and print them out. I'm enlisting my friends to help address the envelopes beforehand so all we have to do is assemble the cards, print the pictures and stuff the pre-stamped/addressed envelopes.
#10 of 14 Old 11-01-2007, 10:49 PM

I made mine on the computer already with my graphics programs and just have to fill in the details, insert picture, print out, stuff into envelopes, and mail. I made them regular envelope size so that they fit into those and I've already addressed them all. So just waiting for the baby!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#11 of 14 Old 11-01-2007, 11:01 PM

I'm using www.vistaprint.com, on the advice of a friend who has been in both my due date clubs on LiveJournal. I got one of her invites with her older son, and they were gorgeous... plus, I can design them on the computer and just pop a digital picture in when he's born, and off they go. I can't decide if I'm just going to print clear labels, or if I'm going to be reeeeeeally lazy and pay VistaPrint to mail the dang things for me.

Quote:
Actually, a lot of the birth announcements I get from local friends DO say which hospital the baby was born at, since there are only two in town. If they can put "Born at Meriter Hospital", I can put "Born at Home." And my out of town relative's announcements sometimes put the hospital as well, especially the ones from our family's home town where they're bragging that they delivered at the 'cool' hospital. I don't think there's anything pretentious about saying your baby was born at home, unless you're of the opinion that birthing at home is better than birthing at a hospital and therefore it's something to 'show off'.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#12 of 14 Old 11-02-2007, 12:12 AM

I see nothing wrong with saying "born at home". I don't consider it pretentious or anything. I know that when family finds out, it will spread like a wild rumor, so I might as well come out and tell everyone. And I am proud of it. I had three traumatizing hospital births. Having a home birth is like a dream to me.

#13 of 14 Old 11-02-2007, 02:52 PM

I have and will use "born at home" b/c if you don't state that, ppl will assume the child was born in the hospital and it's important to me to make the distinction.

Although I can understand not using it...it's not like I'd annouce, "born vaginally" or "born via c-section."

Christa
#14 of 14 Old 11-02-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsta33 View Post
I have and will use "born at home" b/c if you don't state that, ppl will assume the child was born in the hospital and it's important to me to make the distinction.

Although I can understand not using it...it's not like I'd annouce, "born vaginally" or "born via c-section."

Christa
I wouldn't have problems writing born naturally/vaginally, either. But maybe that's because I have had to fight tooth and nail for years not to have an unnecessary c-section b/c of a past myomectomy and that's really important to me.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page