Aquaphor on nipples? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-08-2007, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My nipples and areolas have been really dry and chapped looking the past couple of days. I've been trying to avoid soap in the shower, but sometimes it gets on there anyway, and also I've been SUPER dry lately all over my skin. It really hurts!

Anyway, I don't have any nipple cream or anything like that, though I plan to buy some soon. I do have Aquaphor & I used some yesterday and my boobies look & feel better, but I wanted to know if it's cool to do that. I was just using lotion, but it didn't really help at all. The Aquaphor helped and all, but it's so thick and stuff that I wasn't sure if it might be a bad idea to use on my nipples. I'm assuming I shouldn't use it when I'm actually nursing and plan to get something designed for breastfeeding moms like Lansinoh or that natural nipple butter stuff, but is it cool to Aquaphor it up right now?

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
#2 of 9 Old 11-08-2007, 10:31 AM

I would think it's fine if you don't have Lansinoh and aren't nursing. I usually just express some colostrum and use that as 'nipple moisturizer'.
#3 of 9 Old 11-08-2007, 11:06 AM

I agree it's fine. I've even resorted to carmex or basic chapstick/lip balm type stuff at times if I have no lansinoh handy. Just not, like you said, when you are actually going to be nursing the baby!

Something else you might wanna try is simple olive oil, or coconut oil. I adore coconut oil for skin, and olive oil is very soothing, too....and most people tend to have it on hand. And both are safe for baby to ingest (unless you have reason to suspect allergy issues--then I'd stay away from coconut oil).

OT, but vaguely related....my dh is a runner, and for awhile his nipples were getting really chapped! I had the hardest time convincing him to use the lansinoh, but once he finally tried it, he ended up stealing my tube to keep in his gym bag!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#4 of 9 Old 11-08-2007, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I would say it's fine. Could it be partly due to dried colostrum by chance? Mine are chapped looking, but I can tell some of it is dried colostrum that makes it look worse than it is.

It might be worth breaking out the lanolin to practice how to apply it, anyways. It's a bit solid, so you have to warm it in your fingers. Might be fun for dh to try.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#5 of 9 Old 11-08-2007, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

I have to actually *get* some lanolin. Or anything I can use on my nipples. All I've got is Aquaphor, which helps! I can't express colostrum, but it's frequently dried on my nipples. My husband asked me about it last night - he was like "What's this dry white stuff coming out of the nipples?" and I explained it to him and he thought it was really cool. Heh. I'm sure that it's not just colostrum that's making my nips look all chapped, because it's all over the areolas, and the skin is kind of peeling. OUCH. The Aquaphor is helping thuogh!

Can coconut oil be used while nursing? Being from India where coconut oil is used ALL THE TIME, I have vats of it at my parents' house and can ask them to bring some. If it's just as useful as other products and I can get it for free, not bad eh?

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
#6 of 9 Old 11-08-2007, 04:52 PM

We use coconut oil for everything--it's great on my kids' skin--they all have occasional bouts of mild eczema, not bad enough to even consider an Rx, but rubbing them down with coconut oil after baths nearly always clears it up quick. And they smell good enough to gobble!

But I know that some kids are badly allergic to coconut--like, anaphylactic bad! So, it might be wise to be careful, esp. if you have any history of any sorts of nut allergies on either side.

Yes, if it is food-grade quality oil, it is definitely safe for babies to ingest in such minute quantities (excluding of course allergic reactions) especially if it is organic, virgin quality. Same with olive oil...FYI, olive oil is good if you end up with yeast/thrush, because it actually kills the yeasties! You should NOT use lanolin with thrush, because yeast likes to eat lanolin, IIRC.

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#7 of 9 Old 11-09-2007, 02:35 PM

I can't take it, I'm so clueless

What do--

IIRC
KWIM
WOOT

stand for???? help..

Heather, ds Dante (12.28.07) and due in April.
#8 of 9 Old 11-09-2007, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Good question! I have had to look up so many of the abbreviations on forums.

IIRC - if I recall correctly
KWIM - know what I mean
WOOT - does this stand for something? I use it as an exclamation of happiness. Like, "Woot, Alex just bought me some chocolate chip cookies!"

#9 of 9 Old 11-09-2007, 02:52 PM

hehehe thanks!

Heather, ds Dante (12.28.07) and due in April.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page