Cramps at 37 weeks, preterm labor or what?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-15-2007, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just a few days shy of 37 weeks and since last night have been having pretty consistent cramps in my front abdominal area. Read a couple things that could suggest preterm labor, but I don't know if Im ready to accept that!:

Bowels have also been a bit upset- maybe that's it?!! Wondering if anybody around this "time" has been experiencing this! Thanks in advance!
#2 of 8 Old 11-15-2007, 01:40 AM

I'm 36w2d and having cramping and back pain, but it's on and off, and my bowels are still hard as rocks. I'm sure that for me this isn't "it," but who knows if it is or not for you! I am definitely having increased cramping today and yesterday, but I feel a lot better when I rest.

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
#3 of 8 Old 11-15-2007, 01:45 AM

I wouldn't call 37 weeks "pre term" especially since most consider 36 weeks the safe zone for homebirths. My warm up with DS went on for 2 weeks.

Lately, sometimes I think I'm feeling crampy, but it's just gas
#4 of 8 Old 11-15-2007, 01:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I also wouldn't call it preterm. It may just be the baby dropping and your gradual effacement/dilation. It was like that with me the last couple of weeks with my dds.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#5 of 8 Old 11-15-2007, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Yeah I guess it would just be called "pre-labor" or whatever. That's all good to know! And that a homebirth is in the clear makes me feel better too.

Thank you!
#6 of 8 Old 11-15-2007, 02:57 AM

It definetly could be pre-labor, and more then likely is. But just to let you know pre-labor can take a long long time. With my first it was 4 days of hard contractions every 2 min apart. Though when it continues on like that they usually call it prodromal labor. This time I've been having pre-labor symptoms and contractions since 32 weeks. I finally found a site (though I didn't save it) which listed the differences between early labor, prodromal labor, and plain old braxton hicks. Basically early labor and prodromal labor are the same, just that early labor doesn't last for days (or weeks) and early labor the contractions won't stop at all. But they both eventually get the cervix to dilate to 4 cm and efface. Where as braxton hicks contractions don't do anything to the cervix. Plus it says the difference between a braxton hicks contraction and a do-something-to-the-cervix contraction, is that a bh contraction the uterus gets instantly hard, where as the other contractions are more of a wave type of contraction (usually first felt in the lower back before spreading to the front, though could also be felt as a very strong menstrual cramp). The real key I guess is that it is more like a wave, then instantly hard.

Every woman I think is different though, and experiences early labor differently. And we are not all textbook cases. Just know that whether or not it is early labor, your baby will come eventually.

Pam, momma to Sofie Avye Seth
#7 of 8 Old 11-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Banned

Sounds like prelabor. I have been having contractions every night for weeks now.
#8 of 8 Old 11-15-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minsca View Post
It definetly could be pre-labor, and more then likely is. But just to let you know pre-labor can take a long long time. With my first it was 4 days of hard contractions every 2 min apart. Though when it continues on like that they usually call it prodromal labor. This time I've been having pre-labor symptoms and contractions since 32 weeks. I finally found a site (though I didn't save it) which listed the differences between early labor, prodromal labor, and plain old braxton hicks. Basically early labor and prodromal labor are the same, just that early labor doesn't last for days (or weeks) and early labor the contractions won't stop at all. But they both eventually get the cervix to dilate to 4 cm and efface. Where as braxton hicks contractions don't do anything to the cervix. Plus it says the difference between a braxton hicks contraction and a do-something-to-the-cervix contraction, is that a bh contraction the uterus gets instantly hard, where as the other contractions are more of a wave type of contraction (usually first felt in the lower back before spreading to the front, though could also be felt as a very strong menstrual cramp). The real key I guess is that it is more like a wave, then instantly hard.

Every woman I think is different though, and experiences early labor differently. And we are not all textbook cases. Just know that whether or not it is early labor, your baby will come eventually.
That was uber-useful to know. :

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page