what do you DO with a belly cast? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2007, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK- I know some people paint them. What about YOU. Have you ever done one, and what is it doing now? I did mine a week ago, and I slipped it over the front of me yesterday, and lo and behold- my belly has really dropped, so that it doesn't even fit anymore. Unless of course my boobs have gotten perkier. Either my belly dropped or my boobs went up.

But what do you DO with a belly cast?

I just wanted to memorialize my last (planned and official at this point) pregnancy.

It's kind of... breakable, right?

I won't be using it to try on maternity clothes (unless we change our official plan)

I guess I could trick people in airports and public restrooms into giving me cuts in line

What did you do with yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2007, 06:26 PM

We are probably going to paint it like a monkey face and hang it in his room(matches the decor in his room), although I think my boobs are too big for this exact one:
Example of what we want to do

Then, when he is older and we do away with the monkey theme, we'll probably give it bronze/gold look and hang it in a different room or in a recessed part of the wall in a future home. I have always had a vision of draping it with a sheer fabric and having recessed lighting above it...almost like a statue. So, here's the bronze look we are liking:
bronze gold

But BEFORE all of that, when he's born we're going to do something like this:
Belly Basket
Old 11-18-2007, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarussell View Post
I guess I could trick people in airports and public restrooms into giving me cuts in line

What did you do with yours?

Now THAT'S a good idea! I love those pictures, Juli. I am going to do mine tonight or Tuesday. I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet as I have never done one before! I love that monkey idea and then bronzing it when we own a house, though!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 11-18-2007, 07:06 PM

Juli, I love the monkey! Hopefully you can work around your boobs and make your monkey happen!

I have to say, I got serious belly cast envy when you posted your pics! I'd kind of been meh about doing one, but now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if there's some way to squeeze it in sometime in the next two weeks! This is my only pregnancy, so I don't want to regret not doing it.

I'd always wondered what would really become of it after the novelty wore off, but you guys have some good ideas. I do love Lisa's idea of using it to cut in line!

Lynn, single lesbian mama to All Mighty Iris 12/10/07
Old 11-18-2007, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I have never had any idea what on Earth I would actually DO with a belly cast, therefore I've never made one.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 11-18-2007, 07:26 PM

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...2bMX3A&notag=1
Here is a picture of mine.I think I posted it before.My dd was born exactly a month after this was made. I am waiting until my ideal due date to make one this time.
Mine lives in the bathroom, I really wish I had a house with a mantel,it would be a perfect place to display them.
I am not sure what I am going to paint on the cast this time, I guess I will just wait until I meet the baby.
I think they are fun to make,but If I have more kids after this one,I don't think I willl make anymore. How many belly casts do you need,really?I think it would be a great way remember your last pregnancy.

treehugger.gifMamaknit.gifsewmachine.gifmodifiedartist.gif to one cool girlREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif4/3/01 and a sweet boysuperhero.gif1/1/08...and joy.gifsweet Goobie Rue born 3/6/12

**formerly known as Mamablueberry**

Old 11-18-2007, 08:08 PM

Not in this DDC but you ladies have me inspired. I was on the fence before - but now I can't wait (although I have to, I'm not quite big enough yet).
Old 11-18-2007, 08:17 PM

Well, FWIW, here's where we got our stuff. I can't remember if I posted it before:
www.proudbody.com
There are TONS of pictures for ideas too.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:16 PM

Here is ours. It's hanging in Ella's room, and will until she gets old enough to think it is weird (ohhhhh I wish I could say it will never happen, but I'm sure it will). I plan to do something similar with Cricket's. I really feel a deep connection to ours now and am glad we did it. For what it;s worth, we did ours for less than $15 using supplies from the craft store, so you do not have to buy an expensive kit if you are considering making one.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
Old 11-19-2007, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

wow- great pictures, thank you so much, I am sure I will think of something. I noticed, Juli, that those pictures were all part of the same gallery, but I wanted to browse through the rest of them, but I don't know how. How do I do that?

Maybe I will google image search for belly casts.

AND- Amen to whoever said the kit was silly. I used 2 rolls (but it needs reinforced, so I will end up using 3) of 4"x180" Rigid Wrap roll, from Michael's Arts & crafts for $4.99 a roll. Total cost, $15 plus tax

The only other thing you need is Vaseline, so your skin doesn't dry up.

The rigid wrap dries in 15 minutes

If you want to get even cheaper, you can mix up your own plaster of paris (or even wall-repair plaster from the hardware store) with muslin strips or gauze.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:06 AM

Those pics are all on from the gallery on proudbaby.com. If you go to the site, I believe there's a link at the top for the gallery.

Also, if you get your own supplies (which probably IS less expensive) you just have to be careful not to get the kind of plaster that has a heat reaction when "activated". I spent the money on the kit just to be sure I got the right stuff and didn't overheat my entire belly. And the convenience of getting it all together in one nice little box was worth it.
We had PLENTY of casting material left over and will find something cool to do with it.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:14 AM

Quote:

AND- Amen to whoever said the kit was silly. I used 2 rolls (but it needs reinforced, so I will end up using 3) of 4"x180" Rigid Wrap roll, from Michael's Arts & crafts for $4.99 a roll. Total cost, $15 plus tax

The Vaseline is also a must because otherwise every hair on your casted area will be pulled out when you take the cast off. I used a ton with my cast,and it still pulled a bunch of hair out...ouch!

treehugger.gifMamaknit.gifsewmachine.gifmodifiedartist.gif to one cool girlREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif4/3/01 and a sweet boysuperhero.gif1/1/08...and joy.gifsweet Goobie Rue born 3/6/12

**formerly known as Mamablueberry**

Old 11-19-2007, 04:47 AM

I wasn't going to make a belly cast. We have so much crap in the house-I didn't want to add more. However I've been so inspired!! I think I'll make one, paint it, and then hang it up in the baby's room.

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:55 AM

Quote:

We used cooking oil, though I imagine any oil/lubricant would work.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
Old 11-19-2007, 05:01 AM

I have to get to Michaels, but I wanted to do it this weekend or next.

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

Old 11-19-2007, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymae View Post
We used cooking oil, though I imagine any oil/lubricant would work.
loved your blog, and those pics were great- I did mine alone in the bathroom, because ctx were 5 min apart, and I was so excited to be going "at any moment" That was last week. I have been looking at a lot of pics today and I'm thinking I will put it back on, and add a shoulder to mine. It needs to be reinforced anyways.

I see you are in Eastern WA- we're probably just a few hrs from eachother. I'm in Central WA

User Tag List