Forum Jump: 

#61 of 93 Old 11-26-2007, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeMuffin View Post
Touche.
I admit, that's one thing I am very judgemental about. My mom smoked with me and my brothers and refused to quit even when I would beg her when she was pg with my brothers (who are much younger than me). We all had problems. It still really hurts me.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#62 of 93 Old 11-26-2007, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My SIL is a midwife
She always recommends a glass of wine when things get too tense or painful in those last hard weeks.
#63 of 93 Old 11-26-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
I admit, that's one thing I am very judgemental about. My mom smoked with me and my brothers and refused to quit even when I would beg her when she was pg with my brothers (who are much younger than me). We all had problems. It still really hurts me.
It is scary, how addictive cigarettes can be. My brother had asthma as a child and my parents were in a parent group for it, and there were a few parents whose children had SEVERE asthma... but they just REFUSED to quit smoking, even knowing that it could help relieve their symptoms. It was just a desperate addiction. My best friend's mom doesn't even believe smoking is bad for you OR that smoking during pregnancy or around little kids could cause any harm whatsoever. Sigh...

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
#64 of 93 Old 11-26-2007, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katfka View Post
I put the cocoa mix in whole milk.
So I hope not.

I think its just the 'likes chocolate'.
I recall reading that there is something in chocolate that binds with calcium and carries it out of the body, unabsorbed. It has been over twenty years and that is when chocolate was not the health food it is now, so I wonder about that information; just the same, check it out.

I ate lots of chocolate after the birth of baby #4 and I had no PPD!

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#65 of 93 Old 11-26-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeMuffin View Post
It is scary, how addictive cigarettes can be. My brother had asthma as a child and my parents were in a parent group for it, and there were a few parents whose children had SEVERE asthma... but they just REFUSED to quit smoking, even knowing that it could help relieve their symptoms. It was just a desperate addiction. My best friend's mom doesn't even believe smoking is bad for you OR that smoking during pregnancy or around little kids could cause any harm whatsoever. Sigh...
My dh still smokes. It is only recently he stopped smoking around me. (2 pregnancys and most of this one...) I dont know what changed.

I smoked through pregnancys 1, 2, and most of 3. It is the hardest thing in the universe to quit. I could not quit. Couldnt. I didnt know how other people did it, but no way was I going to be able to!

Thankfully I did quit.

Dh wants to quit now. I would love for that to happen.
#66 of 93 Old 11-26-2007, 11:16 PM

I smoked for 16 yrs, tried quitting more times than I can remember - but the only time it's stuck longer than a couple of months has been with this pregnancy. The morning I found out, I just never picked up another cigarette. I guess I just needed a bigger reason than me

Now I'm praying that I don't go back to it - although I know I won't smoke while bf'ing, so there is another year or so away from the cancer sticks.

I still dream about it all the time. I wake up after dreaming about smoking thinking "oh crap - I cheated!" Cigarettes have a way of wrapping their fingers around your soul.

Mama to DS (12/11/07) and partner to DH (08/08). Expecting #2 late November 2011!
#67 of 93 Old 11-26-2007, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Same.
Even after watching my brother go through nicotine withdrawal seizures at 5wks old, she continued for all of her subsequent pregnancies.

My brother had such severe asthma that he was helicoptered to large city children's hospitals a few times as a tot - almost not making it once.

I've forgiven her, but will absolutely not let her around my child when/after smoking - as she has given me life long health problems that stem from her use.
#68 of 93 Old 11-26-2007, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katfka View Post
Same.
Even after watching my brother go through nicotine withdrawal seizures at 5wks old, she continued for all of her subsequent pregnancies.

My brother had such severe asthma that he was helicoptered to large city children's hospitals a few times as a tot - almost not making it once.

I've forgiven her, but will absolutely not let her around my child when/after smoking - as she has given me life long health problems that stem from her use.
I think that's one of the reasons I'm so touchy about it. She's now also a recovering meth addict, and the pain is just very real to all of us still. And FWIW, I used to smoke and gave it up cold turkey. Not everyone can, and I'm thankful I could. I got started really, when I worked at the hospital. The cigs were the only way I could make it through that chaos sometimes. I am sooo glad I gave it up and never smoked with or around my babies.

#69 of 93 Old 11-27-2007, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionnakay View Post

I still dream about it all the time. I wake up after dreaming about smoking thinking "oh crap - I cheated!" Cigarettes have a way of wrapping their fingers around your soul.
I had so many dreams when I first found out I was pregnant about me smoking while knowing I was pregnant. It had me waking in the middle of the night and saying out loud, "Oh Sh*T! Have I been smoking?" My husband was very confused.

I quit when we decided to TTC, though the stress of that did have me fudge it up a few days during that time. That and the realize that at 25/26 I had been a consistent (thought light) smoker for 10 years was horrifying. Then I became a gym rat

I did see a very pregnant woman walk out of a tobacco store with a pack of smokes and I got so angry. So I guess I'm judgmental about that too.
#70 of 93 Old 11-27-2007, 05:17 AM

I don't like seeing pregnant women smoke either. What I also hate though is people smoking around me. Hello-I'm drinking my coffee stop staring at me-but you feel it's OK to smoke in my face??!!!!! :

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.
#71 of 93 Old 11-27-2007, 10:24 AM

My first date with dh after our little boy was born, we went to a dive bar to play pool and there was a preggo at the bar, drinking beer and smoking ciggerettes. :

At least I tried to hide it.
#72 of 93 Old 11-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
My first date with dh after our little boy was born, we went to a dive bar to play pool and there was a preggo at the bar, drinking beer and smoking ciggerettes. :

At least I tried to hide it.
I went to my DH's work Christmas party the winter after Danny was born, and there was a DRUNK pregnant woman. Like, totally wasted. I was horrified.
#73 of 93 Old 11-27-2007, 11:13 AM

Seems like I read when I was pg last time that if you ate lots of chocolate while pg, that the baby would have a calm disposition. Chocolate was a big craving for me last time, and my little guy is very calm and sweet (esp if you notice how opposite his big sister is. ) I haven't craved it so much this time.

My dh used to smoke. Once we were married, he no longer smoked inside. And once I got pg the 1st time, he didn't smoke in the car if I was riding with him. And before ds was born, he got pneumonia and wrecked our car b/c he passed out from coughing (vagal response) and he quit a few days after that...I think more b/c it hurt so much to smoke (and yes, I did still make him go outside to smoke even though he was sick and it was cold) and he hasn't smoked since.

My sister teaches drug/alcohol prevention classes and she says that nicotine is probably the most addictive substance out there.

Christa
#74 of 93 Old 11-27-2007, 05:14 PM

My dh has been trying to quit smoking for years. He doesn't smoke in the house, the car or around dd, but it's taken a toll on his health, and his doctor just put him on Chantix, which scares me a little bit, but I guess desperate times call for desperate measures. I want so badly for him to be able to quit and to be around and healthy to see our girls grow up. He started smoking when he was 12--now 37--and has been upwards of 3 packs a day at some points in his life. It's an incredibly difficult addiction to break.

On the earlier coffee discussion, just had to chime in that I was actually lectured about having a cup of coffee in the break room at the office by a [I]male[I] coworker. (!) Couldn't believe it!

And isn't it something that many of these same "pregnancy police" who would condemn chocolate, salt or coffee would find it completely "normal" and acceptable if a minute later you went into labor and wanted to have the hospital put some hard-core narcotics directly into your veins???? Crazy!
#75 of 93 Old 11-27-2007, 05:21 PM

No-one tell the pregnancy police, but guess what I'm having for a snack? Coke Zero and Cheez-It snack mix. And I had Triscuits and cheese for lunch. Mmmmm.
#76 of 93 Old 11-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickV View Post
No-one tell the pregnancy police, but guess what I'm having for a snack? Coke Zero and Cheez-It snack mix. And I had Triscuits and cheese for lunch. Mmmmm.
I want soda. Maybe even Mountain Dew. That stuff is so nasty its delicious.
#77 of 93 Old 11-27-2007, 07:28 PM

I was naughty and at the beginning of my third trimester I had 1/2 a glass of red wine with a roast beef sunday meal, then at 8 months had a full glass of white wine with a fresh fish meal. The white gave me a buzz (oy! I am a lightweight now!)

I am an on/off smoker. I quit because of all day morning sickness with my first, and then started back up again when he was 6 months old, but I absolutely refused to smoke anywhere near him--always outside--why abuse his lungs--in fact I would never let him see me smoke. I quit again with the all day sickness with my daughter, plus I had heard on a news report that carcinogens found in cigarettes are found in the amniotic fluid of pregnant women who either smoke, or are around second-hand smoke. Uhh, yeah, Baby, wanna take a bath in some asbestos? Cigs wrapped their insidious hands around my lungs again when my daughter had weened at 18months and I started college, again the kids never saw me smoke. This last time around, I quit before we even TTC, as did my husband because of PURE LAZINESS! Long ago, it was decided that there is no smoking in hubby's apartment. So if we wanted to smoke, it was down 6 floors to street level--eh too much work! Honestly, this time around, I am the world's worst nonsmoker because I complain of the RANK STANK of cig smoke everytime I walk past someone smoking. I am so glad that England has gone smoke-free so we can go to any restaurant or pub and eat without smelling smoke. I have become the raving anti-smoker, that back when I was a smoker, I used to annoy and p!$$ me off!

Oh and Chocolate--it is my bestfriend! Buckets of hot chocolate with mountains of Cadbury chocolate and caramel bars with a side of chocolate chip cookies or white chocolate with macadamia nut cookies and for dessert reeses peanutbutter cups. I need to get baking because I am so hungry for brownies and chocolate cake now! Mmmm CHOCOLATE!!!!

Karin, Wife to Dear Sweet English Husband~Soon to be Legally American. Mom to Zach~13, Lily~9, Alex~2, and Izzy or Zeke arriving July 2010! Living a life full of LOVE!
#78 of 93 Old 11-27-2007, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry_mama View Post
I want soda. Maybe even Mountain Dew. That stuff is so nasty its delicious.
I went out to eat the other night with MIL and fam, and I had not one - but TWO - huge glasses of pepsi.
[Let me say I do not condemn soda drinkers, its just that - high fructose corn syrup negatively affects me, so its out of character for me to drink it.]

I have no idea what compelled me, I'm not even a fan of soda. It just had to be done.

I ran out of hot cocoa the other day, and we're just not going to buy anymore until post-birth. So the pregnancy police may be off of my back for a little while.
Until we restock in the cocoa department... its just chai for me.

We're completely poor this xmas/solstice - so instead of small gifts, we will be giving out baked goods. I will be test running a fudge recipe I have this week.
#79 of 93 Old 11-28-2007, 10:16 AM

I may have a second cup of coffee this a.m., just to irk the PP (preg police) gods. It'll be the uber-sugary General Foods International Coffee, too.

Hey, at least I didn't join DD in her current favorite breakfast - a Back to Nature Classic Creme cookie :
#80 of 93 Old 11-28-2007, 01:30 PM

Yeah, well I just ate two eclairs.

#81 of 93 Old 11-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Banned

DH was supposed to go out last night and buy me mountain dew and gummy worms and brownies, but the kids took a long time to fall asleep, and then House was on, so he didn't go. But......I *did* convince him to go out afterwords, because I saw a KFC commercial. : KFC was closed, so he got mcdonalds instead. : And it was delicious. :
#82 of 93 Old 11-28-2007, 01:50 PM

I drank most of a 2 liter of caffiene free cocacola in the past couple of days.

The kids were sick and I was trying to eat carefully in case I started throwing up too and Coke always helps me with nausea and I thought I might need the extra calories (yeah, right)

Christa
#83 of 93 Old 11-28-2007, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Wow Starry. What a DP you have, seriously.

If I were to ask my DP for fast food or candy, he'd probably laugh in my face.
#84 of 93 Old 11-28-2007, 02:46 PM

2 hot dogs on fluffy white buns
doritos
diet soda.

that was lunch.
#85 of 93 Old 11-28-2007, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

4 peanut butter cookies was breakfast.
#86 of 93 Old 11-28-2007, 03:33 PM

My Starbucks Gingerbread Latte was oh so good just now, it helped wash down that 1/2 of a chocolate chip cookie I shared with ds2 at 930. :

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#87 of 93 Old 11-28-2007, 10:43 PM

Hmmm, I haven't had my weekly donut yet. Maybe I'll get a peppermint mocha to go with it. Drool.....

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#88 of 93 Old 11-28-2007, 10:57 PM

I am eating a sh!tload of chocolate chip cookies. Storebought from the grocery store bakery, heated in the micro, dipped in soymilk. I don't care about how I eat anymore. I've done a really good job for most of this pregnancy. Right now, all I want are some freaking cookies, so I will not feel bad about eating a ton of them a day. I NEED THEM.

Even though we have a TON of healthy food that needs to be eaten by Friday or it'll get gross... I need pizza, so we are ordering pizza for dinner. I wish it was here, right now. But it isn't. COME TO ME, PIZZA.

ETA: The pizza is here and I am dipping it (plain cheese) into ranch dressing.

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
#89 of 93 Old 11-29-2007, 01:47 AM

Have I mentioned that the majority of the meals I've consumed throughout this entire pregnancy have involved breakfast tacos?
mmm. so good. cheesy spicy breakfast tacos...
Oh, and I totally missed all the smoking comments. Yeah, after ten years at a pack a day, it was incredibly hard to quit. I mean, I "quit" the first week I found out I was pregnant. But honestly, it took a couple months before I had cut out all nicotine consumption 100 percent. There were some bummed cigarettes and some stolen drags in the first trimester--but in those first few weeks, at least half a cigarette every two days was better than 20 every day.
I still crave cigarettes, not as bad as the first couple months, but I'll still randomly want one. I'm glad I can't start up again while breastfeeding--I think by the time that's through, it'll be easy to stay on the wagon.
I crack jokes about bourbon and beer, but in all seriousness, not drinking was a non-issue. I just didn't drink anymore. And sure, it'll be nice to have wine with dinner again, but it's not a big deal. But quitting smoking was painful.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#90 of 93 Old 11-29-2007, 04:34 AM

Reviving our Oreo Cookie Thread from the first trimester!!! I discovered peppermint oreo cookies at Trader Joes and have already eaten half the box. (we just bought it last night.) I think I'll have some more for breakfast tomorrow. YUM!!!

Christy-SAHM to my elf princess(4/06) and my little man (12/07). Married to the love of my life and expecting our pumpkin baby boy 10/09! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page