Anyone's sense of smell getting STRONGER? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-27-2007, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't think it was possible, but my sense of smell has gotten MORE sensitive. : I had to buy disposables for nighttime because I cannot stand the smell of wet cloth diapers in the middle of the night when the boys are sleeping with me. I freaked out at DH and threw the equivalent of a temper tantrum the other day because DH accidentally bought these weird lemon scented garbage bags and they smell SO BAD I thought I would die. Then last night DH ran to the store to buy dish soap and bought scented instead of unscented and now I can't even walk into my kitchen without getting a headache. : And the scent is lavender (by seventh generation ,usually one of my fav smells), not something gross.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2007, 03:41 PM

YES! cigarette smoke (despite the fact that i myself used to smoke) has bothered me a lot since becoming pregnant but now i start to cough if a smoker even walks into a building i'm in with the scent of smoke still clinging to his clothes.

the same goes for meat. i'm a vegetarian, and ordinarily the smell of meat cooking doesn't bother me in the slightest, but i caught a couple of thanksgiving meals being cooked and thought i was going to hurl everywhere.

but the smells that i really love, like coffee roasting and cinnamon and tea tree oil, smell even better to me than ever.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:23 PM

My sense of smell is so super sensitive already. And dealing with kids with the stomach flu has been kinda tough (dh had to strip the sheets for me b/c I couldn't stop gagging).

Christa
Old 11-27-2007, 04:38 PM

The other day DS ate celery and 1/2 hour later I smelled it on him from across the room.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Its crazy - I always get a really strong sense of smell when I'm pregnant, thats nothing new, but it seems like in the past few weeks, its gotten even stronger - its driving me crazy. I feel like a dog, constantly sniffing around.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Mine gets worse and worse as pregnancy progresses. It gets so bad that I am obsessed with any minor smell. It's like OCD and it drives me CRAZY.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 11-27-2007, 04:42 PM

I can smell the fridge when it's opened. Blech. I need someone to scrub it down.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:38 PM

Yes! The last few weeks, I don't like walking around the city, because I can smell every cigarette, shampoo, hand lotion, restaurant, and gutter at once. Bleah.

Oh yes, and I keep asking DH if he's brushed his teeth, and the answer is always yes - but his breath smells bad to me.

I'm looking forward to losing this ridiculous super sense of smell. I'm also looking at it as a sign that things are gearing up to go, for the somewhat unscientific reason that sometimes my sense of smell gets this way the day before my period starts, so some kind of major hormonal shift must be happening, right?

Mom of two kids, expecting again in June or July 2014. 
Old 11-27-2007, 10:08 PM

Oh man for the past couple of weeks all I can smell is pee in DS's room. No one has peed in there recently (I'm talking years ago when he was potty training). It is really grossing me out.
I am cleaning the carpet with my mom's steam vac. Everything smells so strong. This has only happened with this pregnancy.

User Tag List