prune juice and constipation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-12-2007, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok so I'm constipated. I want to take prune juice. However if this baby is not ready to come out, I don't want to induce labor (even though if he is ready he can come out at any time!).

If I take prune juice will it induce labor if I am not ready yet? Also is there a risk of mecomium at 38.5 weeks.

I don't want to hurt my baby-but I'd like to go to do a number 2 sometime soon KWIM?

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2007, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I hear you. :

Taking notes.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 12-13-2007, 02:40 AM

I don't think prune juice would cause you to go into labor, but I would try lots of magnesium (preferably citrate or aspertate) and lots of vitamin C BEFORE I tried anything else.

The magnesium that comes in capsules (rather than tablets) usually contains the right kind of mag. Also, if you are not taking an oil (like Fish or Evening Primrose), take it in fairly high doses. When you do "go," it will be more slippery and less painful. . .

I didn't notice how many weeks you are, but if you are less than 36-37 weeks, take Fish Oil and if you are 36-37 plus, take EPO (per my MW).

Also, buy some plain colace (no stimulant) for post-birth use. Take it regularly until the first PP BM and then take it occasionally until the second PP BM. At that point you may not need it anymore.

Good Luck!
--LEE
Old 12-13-2007, 03:19 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
A fairly small glass of prune juice gave me some pretty convincing ctx for about 8 hours a couple of weeks ago. Since then, I have avoided it in favor of tons of Vit C and water. I'm also taking some cal/mag, though I could probably stand to take more, but can't imagine taking yet one more supplement.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
Old 12-13-2007, 03:54 AM

I drank almost half a jar of prune juice the other day, over several hours, and it did absolutely nothing for constipation, and didn't trigger any ctx either. Huh.

Mom of two kids, expecting again in June or July 2014. 
Old 12-13-2007, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

I think I am going to try the EPO. My MW had suggested it to soften my cervix, but I'm 75% effaced, so I didn't take it because I don't think my cervix needs too much softening.... But I think I'll go ahead and start it.

This would be the kind you take by mouth-not the kind you insert right?

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:59 AM

I've been drinking a small glass of prune juice every day and it isn't doing anything for constipation or causing ctx. I generally take colace. Maybe I'll up my EPO dosage and see if that helps.

Christa
Old 12-13-2007, 01:20 PM

Ever since I started drinking liquid chlorophyll, I haven't had ANY constipation in months, it's really amazing. No need for prune juice. Maybe that would work for you?

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:34 PM

Liquid chlorophyll is working great for me too. And it's minty fresh!

Molly, mom to three homebirthed girly girls: Lila 6/05, Nellie 12/07, and Lucy 1/11

Old 12-13-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expectantmami View Post
I think I am going to try the EPO. My MW had suggested it to soften my cervix, but I'm 75% effaced, so I didn't take it because I don't think my cervix needs too much softening.... But I think I'll go ahead and start it.

This would be the kind you take by mouth-not the kind you insert right?

Definately, the kind you take by mouth. You need it in your digestive track. Another is "Slippery Elm." The capsules are better than the tea for lower digestive issues because it goes down farther in your digestive track before it breaks down.

I still think Magnesium Citrate (or aspertate) is your absolute BEST bet! The stuff gives me diarhea if I take too much! You can easily add 800 mg to your diet for 2-3 days without overdosing. After that scale it back to 400 mg/day. This is in ADDITION to any magnesium you take in cal/mag/zinc or other vitamins.

After getting over my major constipation a month ago (following the above advice from my MW), I have scaled it back to an extra 200mg every other day and I'm still fine. This also made my leg cramps go away!

User Tag List