PostPartum Check In - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-13-2007, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I'm so sad. My mommy left us today! She's been with me since Dec 1 and Cami came on Dec 3. I don't know how I'll keep up without her.

Update on Cami...She's doing great! jaundice is cleared out and she gained her weight back (9 oz). She sleeps a little bit, unlike Lili! I swear the baby slept from 2am-6am while Lili was downstairs playing! I don't know how to "gently" get her to sleep, so she runs the house(her dad goes with her, he is so wrapped around her finger). Ugh. Any suggestions???

What's up mamas? How's it going with you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2007, 02:24 PM

I'm so glad you started this thread - I'm not PP yet, but I've been wondering all about you guys and your babes.

./back to lurking
Old 12-13-2007, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

I've been wondering too. We need new pics!

Here's Cami!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...camiana112.jpg
Old 12-13-2007, 02:45 PM

OK, I'm not pp yet, but just wanted to say that even though my mom hasn't even come yet (and baby hasn't either of course) ... I'm still already dreading the day when my mom leaves! When dd#1 was born she came for 10 days, and the day she left I felt SO sad, I remember that I cried. I can only imagine it'll be the same this time around, except that dd#1 will be crying too.

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beppie View Post
OK, I'm not pp yet, but just wanted to say that even though my mom hasn't even come yet (and baby hasn't either of course) ... I'm still already dreading the day when my mom leaves! When dd#1 was born she came for 10 days, and the day she left I felt SO sad, I remember that I cried. I can only imagine it'll be the same this time around, except that dd#1 will be crying too.
I totally went to bed and bawled my eyes out. I don't know what to do with myself. She was so great...did all our laundry, dishes, meals, cared for Lili, checked Math papers...you name it!

Ugh, bawling again...
Old 12-13-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeej View Post
Well, I'm so sad. My mommy left us today! She's been with me since Dec 1 and Cami came on Dec 3. I don't know how I'll keep up without her.
oh man, my parents leave on monday after a week-long visit and i will miss them so much. i will also miss the laundry getting done. hang in there, bumblebeej!

so, the birth was last friday and we've been home since monday.

i can't get over the learning curve with milo! we learn so much about each other every day that you couldn't possibly chart or track it. there were things i didn't know how to do yesterday that i now can do like an expert. and milo is already learning about us, too, like he doesn't shriek when we start the tight swaddle anymore because he knows that he'll like it when it's done.

parenthood so far: a++
Old 12-13-2007, 07:38 PM

My mom's here and my baby's not so I feel like I'm totally wasting her time off and she'll have to leave sooner after the baby is born than I want. I bawled the first time she left me alone with dd (at about 4 days old) just to go shopping for groceries!

BJ, my dd has always fought sleeping and there was no gentle way to get her to sleep unless you just waited for her to fall over on her own. But now at 4, she goes to sleep in her bed quietly by herself...sometimes she plays around a little while before she crawls in, but it's no big deal anymore. It was just a matter of time...I never would have believed she would be able to do it.

Christa
Old 12-13-2007, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsta33 View Post

BJ, my dd has always fought sleeping and there was no gentle way to get her to sleep unless you just waited for her to fall over on her own. But now at 4, she goes to sleep in her bed quietly by herself...sometimes she plays around a little while before she crawls in, but it's no big deal anymore. It was just a matter of time...I never would have believed she would be able to do it.

Christa
Well I only have 2 more years then! LOL
Old 12-13-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeej View Post
She was so great...did all our laundry, dishes, meals, cared for Lili, checked Math papers...you name it!

Ugh, bawling again...
That sounds like my mom too. It was SO wonderful when she came after the first baby, because she just does everything that needs to be done, meals, cleaning the bathroom, washing the dishes, laundry (even poopy diapers!).

And she also was constantly bringing me glasses of water! She remembered how thirsty she would get when she was breastfeeding. It was so sweet of her.

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:02 PM

My mommy came after I had my twins so I could visit them in the NICU but other than that she doesn't usually come for more than a weekend to see the baby. I have 2 sisters that are only 14 and 10 so she can't get away for long. My husband has been home though due to his back and leg and I dont' know what I would do without him. He has been taking care of all of the other kids so I can take care of just Madison. Physically I am doing fine. Still a little achy but other than that I am good. Maddie seems to have caught the sniffles so I am hoping she gets over that quickly.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:17 PM

Bump! Two weeks PP today! Dh has to go back to work on Monday, and I'm simultaneously dreading and looking forward to it. I'm trying really hard to get some long-range organizational stuff accomplished before then so that homeschooling and all the rest will go smoothly without him here. So far, I've been doing all baby care and most of the laundry, but he's been doing all meal prep, most general cleaning, and all the schooling.

How will I manage to feed my kids lunch, much less lunch and prep anything for dinner?

I'm so thankful that he's been home the last two weeks....I just don't want everything to go to hell in a handbasket as soon as he leaves. Do we have a smilie for nervous?

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
Old 01-03-2008, 07:22 PM

I'm doing my first all-solo day today, Sarah. Isabel and I ate lunch while Olivia slept, and I managed to get Isabel down for her nap while Olivia was still asleep. But when they both need me at the same time, it gets a bit hairy
Old 01-04-2008, 12:42 AM

trying to get us all out of the house today was a challenge - it's about 20 degrees here today, so coats, hats, gloves all had to be wrangled and then it's down the stairs of our apt building. then i negotiate with ds for 10 minutes about putting the stroller blanket in (for some reason, he hates it this year) and finally get him in it. dd is in bjorn all bundled with 3 layers, and i'm sweating in my sweater and heavy coat. it seemed to take forever, but it was nice to get out to playgroup and see my girlfriend and her son there.

when dh got home, he said, "imagine what it's like with 3!"

i told him he can schedule that vasectomy asap.

but being on my own (ds went back to work on wed) isn't as bad as i thought. i'm sure there will be plenty of times when i want to pull out my hair, but today was a good day. and there will be plenty of those too.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:03 AM

I'm almost 4w pp and feeling pretty good. DH and I dtd last night, though, and today I started bleeding again- just really lightly. I guess it was a little too soon???

Baby is doing great, she's just a total gas bag. Most of the time I'm online she's laying on her tummy across my bouncing legs because it seems to soothe her belly. I'm having some success giving her gripe water and colic tablets. She's also got a little red splotchy rash across her face, so I'm cutting out dairy from my diet to see if it clears it up. I like my cheese. Small price to pay for her to have BM, though.

I decided summer babies are much, much easier. It's less worrisome to think of baby getting a bit too warm than it is to have to think of whether or not they're getting too cold, kwim?
Old 01-04-2008, 04:13 AM

Nearly a month out, and I'm feeling fine. Bleeding came back with a vengeance this week, which bums me out, but other than that and the squish belly (it's like bread dough. Mmm) it's like I was never pregnant. I'm even back to my prepregnancy weight, which wold be something if it meant I could fit into any of my old pants. But ohhh that is so not going to happen any time soon.

Breastfeeding is touch and go. Alice is still gaining like mad (she's 9lbs 4oz, up from 7lbs at birth!), and I'm not sore, so I'm not too worried, but she has a bad latch which makes her swallow a lot of air, and makes it so that I have to pump after each feeding to keep from getting blocked ducts (since she doesn't have good enough suction to empty them out). She also nurses every half hour or so, since she thinks she is full from the air, finally burps, then is hungry again 10 minutes later. We are working on it, but if it doesn't improve this week, my MW and the LLL leader I've been seeing both want us to go see a LC. I feel like a BFing newb, even though I nursed Ella for 22 months.

Umm, and it's late so I'm going to take the cheater way out and link to the 3 week update i did on the blog the other day.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
Old 01-04-2008, 11:07 AM

Dennie, I'm cutting out dairy, too, to see if it helps with Olivia's gas pains ... but man, giving up cheese is hard! I'm not 100% sold on dairy being the issue, since I'm not seeing any skin issues like I did with Isabel (eczema in the early days, diaper rash later) but if it'll help her, it's worth a shot. I'm focusing on my easier weight loss with ice cream and cheese out of the picture ... it softens the blow a little.

Ivory, Olivia's a gas bag too. And the stingiest burper EVAH - seriously, I can whack her back forever and get nothing; change positions and get nothing. I've started giving her a little Mylicon before feeding her, and I'm cutting out obvious dairy from my diet, and it's gotten a little better. We don't have the physical latch issues, tho - Olivia's ain't great, but it's not anything like what you've described, and she's able to drain boobs and sleep for 3ish hours. I hope you can get the latch issues fixed!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymae View Post
Umm, and it's late so I'm going to take the cheater way out and link to the 3 week update i did on the blog the other day.
Ivymae, I love your sling (from the picture on your blog)! Nikita only enjoys her ring sling when we're outside, but yours seems much smaller, more newborn-sized. I think she feels lost in all that fabric when we're home. What kind is it?

lips.gif mama to flower.gif n 12.17.07 and coolshine.gif j 08.13.09

Old 01-04-2008, 04:28 PM

Cutting out dairy here too. And we also have the oversupply/clicking issue. Driving me bonkers!
Things are really hard when they both need me at the same time. I'm just not sure what to do! She doesn't like the sling and I thought I'd be using that to cope with life with 2 but I guess not. My DH just had 2 days off and it was so nice. Now he's back at work and I want to cry again!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

Old 01-04-2008, 04:45 PM

1 week PP. I've never been so happy, I love him so much. I'm feeling very well, my crotch doesn't feel too broken anymore. I am having many problems with feeding and milk production, but am working on it. It's hard to deal with something as hard as this in the happiest time of my life.

Heather, ds Dante (12.28.07) and due in April.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wife&mommy View Post
Cutting out dairy here too. And we also have the oversupply/clicking issue. Driving me bonkers!
Things are really hard when they both need me at the same time. I'm just not sure what to do! She doesn't like the sling and I thought I'd be using that to cope with life with 2 but I guess not. My DH just had 2 days off and it was so nice. Now he's back at work and I want to cry again!
You're dealing with the same ages I am - day two flying solo has been pretty stressful, but with Olivia napping and Isabel falling asleep, I've got my second wind. Fortunately, Olivia loves being worn in a wrap. I can use a pouch when we're out shopping, but at home, the wrap is my go-to carrier. Have you tried anything besides the sling? When Isabel was a little Bean, she hated the pouch and the sling, but loved a wrap or a MT ... when she got older I could do a hip carry with a sling, but that was about it. I think the sling/pouch carries for newborns are pretty darn smooshy, and some kids just don't jive with that kind of carry ...
Old 01-04-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickV View Post
You're dealing with the same ages I am - day two flying solo has been pretty stressful, but with Olivia napping and Isabel falling asleep, I've got my second wind. Fortunately, Olivia loves being worn in a wrap. I can use a pouch when we're out shopping, but at home, the wrap is my go-to carrier. Have you tried anything besides the sling? When Isabel was a little Bean, she hated the pouch and the sling, but loved a wrap or a MT ... when she got older I could do a hip carry with a sling, but that was about it. I think the sling/pouch carries for newborns are pretty darn smooshy, and some kids just don't jive with that kind of carry ...
I do have a wrap but I have no clue how to use it!
She hates the pouch, too.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

Old 01-04-2008, 06:09 PM

3.5 wks pp here and am finally getting up off my butt during the day. I don't know how you mamas do it with more than one LO - I have been so lazy!!

Still 15 lbs over my pre-pg weight and no idea how it's going to come off. And fitting into my old clothes? Yeah right! I need to get into shape though, b/c dp finally proposed and we want to get married this late spring/early summer!

We want an outdoor wedding someplace that is meaningful to us. We didn't think we had a spot in KC b/c we haven't lived here long, and we can't afford to travel back to NM to get married there. But I am so excited b/c it hit me today - the birth center where Kieran was born sits on a huge lot of land filled with flowers and trees - what better spot to make our union legal than the very place where our two person family became three?!

2008 is really going to be lovely

Mama to DS (12/11/07) and partner to DH (08/08). Expecting #2 late November 2011!
Old 01-04-2008, 06:26 PM

Congratulations Dionna!

wife&mommy, I do a modified front cross wrap - http://www.mamatoto.org/Default.aspx?tabid=180

I don't thread the straps back under the cumberbund.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionnakay View Post
dp finally proposed and we want to get married this late spring/early summer!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That is such great news.

I am here, 2 weeks PP. I am still worn out and could sleep all day long if I could. Life with 2 is definitely different. DS is wonderful with Simon but continues to challenge me everyday, it is getting very tiring. Although this morning he did ask me if Simon was latched on yet - at least he does keep me laughing too.
Simon is a peach of a baby. He sleeps and eats and is just happy as can be. Today was the first day that he had any tummy problems - could have been the spicy Thai I had for dinner last night . He will sleep for 3-4 hour stretches and will even sleep in the cosleeper sometimes - during the day, not necessarily at night.
My house on the other hand is a sty and we have not had much in terms of food prepared at home for the past 2 weeks, but other than that - life is good.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:35 PM

1 Week PP. So happy with my little guy and chilling out with our family, but today we got news from the LC that she suspects we have major feeding issues -- Rhys has a high palate, and she thinks he's just not able to transfer enough milk from my boob. Which would mean I'm unlikely to develop a good supply, weight-gain/FTT issues, yadayadayada. Which I think is odd, considering it's day 7 and he's only lost 2.5 ounces from his birthweight... he isn't gaining, but he isn't losing either. So we've been grounded to the couch to do nothing but force-feed the baby with breast compressions and we'll do a weigh-in tomorrow and see if we gain enough to be spared supplementing. I'm totally left wondering whether 2.5 ounces is even worth all this brouhaha.

Otherwise, I'm totally ready to kick my postpartum "help" out. : They're nice people, but I really want some time to enjoy just my new family without other people hanging around harshing our groove. Unfortunately, I'll have to suck it up until the 14th. Then I get a month off before the dreaded inlaw visitation.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbabymama View Post
Ivymae, I love your sling (from the picture on your blog)! Nikita only enjoys her ring sling when we're outside, but yours seems much smaller, more newborn-sized. I think she feels lost in all that fabric when we're home. What kind is it?
It's just a New Native that I found at a thrift store a few years ago. It was one of our favorites when Ella was little, and is still our go-to sling for the pre-head control stage. Once they get sturdier, we have a hip hugger that we love.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
Old 01-04-2008, 08:58 PM

3.5 weeks. mom left sunday, me & baby were alone for 1st time wed & did great. went to LLLL & met some nice ladies w/newborns - yay! may have converted a mama to CDing! still having some latch issues but seeing improvement YAY.

SIL here y'day into today and soooo helpful omg.

1 mo checkup today. m was 7-11 at birth, 6-14ish at 2 days, 7 at 4 days... and now 8-14. go boobies!!!! grew an inch as well so now 21". 50th %ile ht & wt.

now she is up and wants to play so i'm off. want to post pics, will soon...

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
Old 01-04-2008, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Congrats dionnakay!!

Went to the doc today. They definitely didn't measure her right. She's 22.25inches, so there's no way she grew 3" in one week! She's also 8lbs. 14oz. already. A chunk!

My nipples are less sore, thank goodness. But that's about all here. Hard to NAK.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 01-05-2008, 08:18 PM

2 days shy of 3 weeks, my mom left today and I about had a nervous breakdown. I called DH home for a few hours so I could get the house neat enough that if anyone stops by (not that anyone would ) I don't look like a total slob. Now both boys are napping and I can't seem to find the energy to lay down and sleep too.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

Old 01-05-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionnakay View Post
Still 15 lbs over my pre-pg weight and no idea how it's going to come off. And fitting into my old clothes? Yeah right! I need to get into shape though, b/c dp finally proposed and we want to get married this late spring/early summer!
Congrats!!! And...me too! DP proposed while I was in the tub, squeezing out his baby. I think that's so hot.

Problem is, we want to do it asap really low-key and postpone the actual party until Niki is old enough to be a part of it. So I've just gone through my entire closet and nothing at all fits. I so do not feel marriageable right now. Guess I'll just have to ban cameras...we may have to do it as soon as next weekend 'cause my mom will be here.

lips.gif mama to flower.gif n 12.17.07 and coolshine.gif j 08.13.09

User Tag List