What is with all this induction talk? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-21-2007, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeMuffin View Post
Seriously. It is f'ed up how many people with MEDICAL DEGREES have no idea wtf they're talking about half the time.
Just had to agree and comment here: The other day my mw was sharing with me a conversation she had with an OB in town who happens to be, let's say, in the scheme of things, *fairly* non-interventive and maybe a little open-minded. Enough so that he actually speaks to her like she's a professional who might know something, at least. Anyway, she said for the first time in her life an OB actually said to her, "We just honestly don't have any experience with labor. None. it's not our focus in medical school, certainly not in residency. So, other than time frames in medical textbooks, we just don't know what's normal, because most of us who may have attended 100s if not 1000s of births have spent less than 50 hours total with a woman actually in labor. So a lot of us fall into the trap of speeding things along or reacting inappropriately because if something falls outside of the timeline we've been trained, we just don't have the real-world experience and the instinct that experience builds to know what's truly going to be safe and what's going to put mom / baby / LIABILITY COVERAGE in jeopardy."

How scary is that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2007, 02:25 PM

My SIL who has been a midwife for over 25 years has had similar exchanges with OBGYNs... It is scary stuff
Old 12-21-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2liv View Post
Just had to agree and comment here: The other day my mw was sharing with me a conversation she had with an OB in town who happens to be, let's say, in the scheme of things, *fairly* non-interventive and maybe a little open-minded. Enough so that he actually speaks to her like she's a professional who might know something, at least. Anyway, she said for the first time in her life an OB actually said to her, "We just honestly don't have any experience with labor. None. it's not our focus in medical school, certainly not in residency. So, other than time frames in medical textbooks, we just don't know what's normal, because most of us who may have attended 100s if not 1000s of births have spent less than 50 hours total with a woman actually in labor. So a lot of us fall into the trap of speeding things along or reacting inappropriately because if something falls outside of the timeline we've been trained, we just don't have the real-world experience and the instinct that experience builds to know what's truly going to be safe and what's going to put mom / baby / LIABILITY COVERAGE in jeopardy."

How scary is that.
Wow

I am shocked. I figured that they had SOME education. But that makes alot of sense and now I know why OB's seem so clueless!

User Tag List