Surprise Homebirth of Jack Timothy!!! Updated with Birth Story & Pics! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 12-22-2007, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mama and Baby
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...r20030crop.jpg

One Hour Old
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ember20066.jpg

Meeting Big Sister
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ember20075.jpg

One week old-sleepy
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ember27267.jpg

One week old-Awake
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ember27254.jpg

Our son is born!

He came Thursday, December 20th at 10:40 am. He weighed 9lbs 6 oz. and was 20.5 inches. Born at home into his daddy's hands. The best Christmas present ever!:

His name is Jack Timothy. He is named after DH's grandpa and also my dad.

I'll come back later to write the birth story. I decided in labor that I wanted to stay home for the birth. It went fast (5 hours total) but most of it was intense excruciating back labor due to him being posterior. Pushing him out was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I can't believe I had that power within me. I pushed out a posterior, 9lb 6oz baby in my own bedroom and didn't even tear or have a skid mark!

I am totaly converted to homebirth now. I loved it! It was so wonderful to crawl up into my own bed with my new baby boy and snuggle. We are resting and babymooning. He is a strong nurser and my milk is in.

Thank you mamas, for sharing your lives and hearts and advice all these months. I've learned so much from all of you amazing women!

Jack’s Birth

I believe that with each birth, not only is a baby born, but a mother is born also. And with multiple children, new parts of a mother are born within that woman. I found this to be true after the birth of my son, Jack Timothy.

Jack’s birth challenged everything I know about myself and gave me victory on the other side.

December 19th 11:00 pm
My daughter was born 23 days early so with my second, as I approached my due date, I felt each waiting day as torture. “I wish I could just go to sleep and wake up and my baby would be here.” I wrote this in my journal just 12 hours before Jack was born. I was ready to meet my baby.

December 20th 5:30am
I must have been having ctx in my sleep because all of a sudden, I grabbed Jeff’s (DH) arm during one. Then another. “What time is it?” I said. “How close are these?” 5-6 minutes. Another one. I suddenly got up, out of bed and marched into the bathroom, turned on the water for a bath and got in before it was even filled. I didn’t believe I was in labor, but I felt very very serious as I stared at the water pouring into the tub. I told Jeff to call S and our doula, K.
“How close are these?” I asked again. One and a half, two minutes apart now. Things were moving fast. I was in my zone and I began my labor song. I started with “Oohhhh Kay, oooohhh kay.” And “Oohhh pen, Oooohhh pen.”
Based on my noises, my midwife told Jeff she would come straight to our house. The birth plan was to have a water birth at a local birth center. But that plan was gradually being tossed out the window.

My doula arrived first and joined me in my rhythm. “That’s the way” she said. “Blow it away”. I was shaking with adrenalin but I was feeling very confident and strong. “I can do it, I know how to do it, I can do it, I know how to do it.” I chanted through my contraxtions. Suddenly, I grunted, threw up and pooped all at the same time. K put her gloves on in case she had to catch a baby. My midwife wasn’t there yet. “Sloooowww, Slooow, slooow,” became my song. I found that I wanted my eyes wide open and wanted direct and focused eye contact with Jeff through each ctx. I sqeezed his hand as hard I as I could and we labored together. He was my teammate.

S arrived soon and checked me. 9 cm, almost 10 but there was a small cervical lip or ledge. “Christy,” she said, “I have to ask, Do you still want to go to the birth center or do you want to have your baby at home.” There was no way I was going to get out of the water, crawl downstairs, get in the car and change locations at this point. I chose to stay at home.

They let me keep laboring in the water for a bit while the assistant midwives scurried around to prepare for the birth. S felt that my progress had stalled in the tub so we moved into the bedroom and she checked me again. This time the news was not as positive. Still a lip; and the baby was posterior. This was at about 8:45am and the next hour was the most painful, intense and challenging work of my life. I had already been feeling like pushing but could feel the pushes were not productive. S tried to move the cervical lip but couldn’t because the baby’s head was bearing down so hard and the head was a bit tilted. They told me to try and hold back and blow through my pushy ctx until the lip was gone.

The back pain was strong. I started to fall out of my zone and enter panic. Jeff still locked eyes with me and tried to keep me grounded. I was anything but dignified. I tossed and flailed and swore. I declared, “I don’t think I can do it!” No one listened. “You are the only one who CAN do it, Christy.” Said my doula at one point. I felt like crying but didn’t have the energy. I wanted to give up. I couldn’t find my strength, mentally or physically. The contractions on top of the back pain were excruciating.

All this time, we tried multiple positions to get the baby to lift up and move a little off the cervix. I lunged sideways and leaned on stacks of pillows, I hunkered down on my hands and knees. After about an hour, his head turned just slightly and S slipped that awful lip over his head.

I moved into the bathroom to push for real now. My back still hurt so much. K massaged my lower back and I pushed as hard as I could. It felt so weird to have a posterior baby inside. I was resentful because I had heard that pushing your second baby out was so much easier than the first. I still wanted to give up. I was so tired. I think I was scared also and it was holding me back. All of a sudden, I remembered a verse I had read the night before: “. . . In quietness and trust is your strength.” Isaiah 30:15. I knew I had to surrender in order to find power to finish the birth. This is such a beautiful irony that as I surrendered in my brain and heart, I became more powerful in my physical body.

Pushes became more productive and I could feel my baby moving down now with each one. I stopped feeling sorry for myself and took action. I stood and did hula movements, rotating my hips around and around. I don’t know why, it just felt right. Pretty soon, I got down on my hands and knees again and pushed with all my might. Then he was crowning. I reached to feel his sweet head. So soft and warm and just waiting to meet me. I pushed slowly and waited for my perineum to stretch. I knew it was almost over. Slowly, slowly pushing more and more of his head out each time. Finally, his head was out and he was crying immediately. I had to push again to get his body out. Jeff caught him with the midwife close by. I could hear his wonderful cries but I couldn’t see him yet since I was on my hands and knees. I was trying to turn around as fast as I could. The cord was all tangled up around his legs. They untwisted him and handed him to me. It is so glorious to hold your own slimy screaming newborn baby. I did it. My baby was here in my arms. I looked at my husband and the women around me. “Thank you. Thank you for not letting me give up.”

I did not tear or have any skid marks. This had to be due to my slow gentle pushing at the end. When they weighed him and he was 9lbs. 6 oz. I was shocked. My midwife says if I could push out that large posterior baby in my bedroom, then I can do anything.

As I write this, Jack is in the moby. His head is resting on my chest and my chin is resting on his little head. This is what I was made for. I learned many things about myself through Jack’s birth. I experienced a new birth of my own in my mind and heart. I know Jack will teach me many things as he grows up, but for now, I am born as his mother, a strong woman. I will continue to find my strength as I continue to surrender.

Christy-SAHM to my elf princess(4/06) and my little man (12/07). Married to the love of my life and expecting our pumpkin baby boy 10/09! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 12-22-2007, 09:34 PM

Wow - that's terrific!! Congratulations to you and welcome Jack
#3 of 25 Old 12-22-2007, 10:18 PM

woooo! congrats!

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
#4 of 25 Old 12-22-2007, 10:35 PM

Congratulations and welcome little Jack!

Christa
#5 of 25 Old 12-22-2007, 11:04 PM

hooray!

congrats on (not so) little jack!
#6 of 25 Old 12-22-2007, 11:39 PM

Welcome baby Jack I love that name!! Happy babymooning!

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#7 of 25 Old 12-23-2007, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Awesome! Congrats!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#8 of 25 Old 12-23-2007, 12:52 AM

That is great, congrats!!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#9 of 25 Old 12-23-2007, 12:54 AM

what a great story. have a beautiful babymoon! welcome baby jack.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#10 of 25 Old 12-23-2007, 03:19 AM

What an awesome birth story! And another fast labor- I swear we're like the Nascar version of birthers around here! Congrats on your little guy and welcome baby Jack!
#11 of 25 Old 12-23-2007, 04:23 AM

Wow, congrats!!

Heather, ds Dante (12.28.07) and due in April.
#12 of 25 Old 12-23-2007, 05:31 AM

Wow.....Welcome baby Jack!!!!
#13 of 25 Old 12-23-2007, 06:39 AM

Wow, congrats!

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#14 of 25 Old 12-23-2007, 12:10 PM

Thats fantastic! Congratulations and welcome earthside baby Jack!

May I ask what compelled you to stay home? Thats so interesting, especially with a posterior baby. You're such an incredible woman!
#15 of 25 Old 12-23-2007, 12:49 PM

That is fantastic - great story! So happy for you! Welcome Jack!

Lynn, single lesbian mama to All Mighty Iris 12/10/07
#16 of 25 Old 12-23-2007, 01:10 PM

congratulations, whatta huge baby, great job- I can't wait to hear the story. And see pictures. Rest up, and don't forget to come back & share with us!
#17 of 25 Old 12-23-2007, 07:31 PM

wow! amazing. i can't wait to hear your story fabulous job!
#18 of 25 Old 12-23-2007, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
COngrats on your lovely homebirth!

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#19 of 25 Old 12-23-2007, 11:13 PM

Congratulations, mama!

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

#20 of 25 Old 12-23-2007, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Awesome! And CONGRATULATIONS! I too can't wait to hear your story! Was it a UC you had then?

Welcome baby Jack! :

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#21 of 25 Old 12-28-2007, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Birth Story and Pictures added in original post. Thanks!

Christy-SAHM to my elf princess(4/06) and my little man (12/07). Married to the love of my life and expecting our pumpkin baby boy 10/09! :
#22 of 25 Old 12-28-2007, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
: What an amazing story! Congrats!

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#23 of 25 Old 12-28-2007, 10:15 PM

Beautiful! Congratulations.

Christa
#24 of 25 Old 12-29-2007, 02:29 AM

wow!!! congrats momma and wtg! hes gorgeous!!

#25 of 25 Old 12-29-2007, 04:50 PM

WELCOME BABY JACK!
He is GORGEOUS!
Congratulations, Mama!

User Tag List