Mothering Forum banner

my WIC appt today

662 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Belleweather 
#1 ·
ok. when i made this appt last month. the woman says to me. bring the baby with you. i say, what if i havent had it yet? She looks at me in bewilderment. she says, baby needs to come too. I say again. my due date is the 28th. i may not have had the baby yet. she says again. Bring baby with you
: i just say ok lady, whatever.

so i go to my appt today. and they are like, why didnt you bring the baby? i say, i did, its still in my belly. the woman is quite stunned, and says, why is your doctor letting you go this overdue. I say i'm not. my due date is tomorrow. she is confused. she goes to the computer. she doesnt understand why the previous person has booked an appt for a baby, that is not born yet. she apologizes. then, she says, we have to rescedule. WHY? i say. because we cant certify baby until its here. i'm confused. she explains it again. i'm still confused. she says we can do G (DS) but i have to come back for baby. i'm still not understanding. finally she says something about formula. i say i dont want nor need any. and she is like OH! well then we can go ahead and do both of you today!
: i still dont get the whole thing. and i dont know what scares me more. they fact that they had no clue what was going on, and tell me i cant have an appointment until i have my baby, or the fact that it is assumed that i will be formula feeding. UGH!

fast forward. DS does not want to stand up to be measured for height. DS is very strong. it does not go well. the woman sits in her chair with her arms crossed, watches me, the 9 month pregnant woman fight and struggle with my very strong 3 year old. and just says over and over again. "i cannot continue until i have a height entered in the system" after much fighting, and pain, we have DS height. and then. the woman sighs deeply. and says "i see from your chart you have these religious beliefs about immunization, but i need to take the time to stress how important they are"
(insert lecture here) i smile and say thanks. i wanted to scream at her. i spent years researching my vaccine decision, and suddenly i'm going to change that based upon some BS from a WIC lady and a couple pamphlets. Right.

i'm really glad today is over. Come out baby. please???

See less See more
#4 ·
Ick. Do you have an alternate office you can go to? I've found that there is one office in town that I've had good luck with, where as the others are just a horrible experience. Also, if you go and eventually find a nurse/attendant you like, don't be shy about asking when she works.

#6 ·
ugh- I'm sorry the appointment was so frustrating. I had the nurse look at me like I was insane because they have it in their system that dd can't handle milk (lactose free or regular), and her response was "but she can still take breastmilk at 2?" like if she can't drink cow's milk she can't drink mine. It took all I had in me not to say "yes, she can, because see I am a human and not a cow".

#7 ·
^hahah.

Your apt sounds very similar to mine - (I wrote about it in the random complaints thread.)
It was unnecessarily stressful for ds, but not a huge deal, we got through it.

Thats odd about the formula though - in our office, above the nurses station is a huge 'BREASTFEEDING IS BEST!!!' banner. They really push it here.

#8 ·
Ugh. I was just thinking that I should schedule a WIC appointment, before that reminder of why I'd pretty much rather stab myself in the back of the hand with a fork. *sigh*
s and best wishes for smarter workers in the future!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.