Into Nanna's Hands--Riley's birth story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-28-2007, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Riley Owen’s Birth Story

I think it’s possible that early labor actually started Friday night. I had contractions strong enough to wake me every fifteen minutes or so and considered getting up to call the midwives, but I was able to fall asleep after each one and decided that probably meant it was very early still and I would call when things picked up. When I got up Saturday morning the contractions spaced out and became unnoticeable. They returned, however, when I lay down to nap with Kenna and Landon and were 15 minutes apart for a couple of hours. I called Amy when I got up to let her know that things might be happening today.

After talking to Amy, I took a walk in the rain with Matthew. I walked on the curb in front of our house, feeling really silly, and found it exhausting to do for long. We walked for a half hour or so and then came back inside. I fixed some soup and sat down to time contractions. While we were walking contractions were closer than five minutes apart and not terribly painful, but spaced out some when we came back in. I called Amy again and she suggested I do restful things and try to “postpone” labor until the morning. So I lay down on the sofa to watch television. I suddenly had a really long contraction and during that contraction felt the baby move off my pubic bone and down into my pelvis. He moved so hard and fast that my water broke. I toddled off to the toilet to confirm that my water had broken and finally had the first “show” of something going on. I called Amy back. She was at the grocery store and said she’d come check on me in a little while. I sat back down and started timing contractions again. I had to move from the sofa to the floor for each contraction and have Matthew apply counter pressure. My sister has this really cute photo of Matthew pressing my sacrum, Kenna brushing back my hair, and Landon rolling a truck across my back!

Contractions were now less than five minutes apart and really strong, so I called the midwife again. She had to take her groceries home and then was coming. She told me to prepare the birth pool and get in (my mom was already running the water and had completely prepared the bedroom for the birth) and that when babies come fast that they are usually just fine. I didn’t think I needed the water this early and thought she probably just wanted to slow things down a little. About 10 minutes later I got into the pool. It wasn’t even full yet, but I didn’t care. I was sure I was active, but had no idea how far and fast I was progressing. I hit transition a few minutes later. My mom and Matthew applied counter pressure and gave me ice cold rags for my face. I was completely in labor land and completely in denial about how far into labor I was. My mom recognized transition and went to call Amy again to see what to do after the baby was born. She wasn’t sure if she should get us out of the water or leave us in the pool. Amy said to leave us in and that they were in Hernando, about 20 minutes away.

It wasn’t until I had the first pushing contraction that I realized my labor was ending instead of just beginning. I felt the change and came back from labor land uttering, “No!” I reached down and felt his head just inside. I was afraid I felt a cervical lip, but it was just membranes on the baby’s head. The next contraction was a real push. Pushing isn’t something I do, it’s something that happens to me. It’s not pleasant, but it’s over very quickly. I had his head out on that contraction and then got very concerned about birthing the rest. I was worried about the cord, I was worried that he wasn’t turning, I was worried that his shoulders weren’t coming. My mom kept telling me he was fine, the cord wasn’t around his neck (it was looped loosely around him) and that he would come out. Two more pushes and he was out and in Nanna’s hands. I just couldn’t believe it was over.

We had a really comical moment trying to figure out how to get him from behind me to in front of me without dunking him back under. But I finally stood up and we passed him through my legs and then I sat down and took him. We covered up with towels and I started ordering everyone around to get the kids (they’d been in the back bedroom watching a movie with my sister) and the camera. The midwives arrived about 10 minutes after he was born.

Riley Owen was born at 7:57 p.m., a little more than an hour after my water broke. He weighed 8 lbs 8 oz and was 20 inches long.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/crsta33/021.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/crsta33/023.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/crsta33/033.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41...3/000_0007.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 12-28-2007, 11:15 PM

omgoodness, your DD with her gloves! Such a big helper! Give her lots of from me!

Great job Christa!
#3 of 11 Old 12-28-2007, 11:17 PM

Not in your DDC, but I'm getting anxious. Great story, beautiful family. Enjoy your Babymoon.

Awesome job, Mama, and Happy Birthday Riley!
#4 of 11 Old 12-28-2007, 11:45 PM

How absolutely perfect! Congratulations on your newest addition, he's a doll!! The look on DH's face in pic2 is priceless, love it!!!
#5 of 11 Old 12-29-2007, 01:14 AM

what a wonderful birth!! congrats momma, your dd and ds are adorable!

#6 of 11 Old 12-29-2007, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

When the midwives came in and got out the gloves dd had to have some too. While I was laboring, my sister kept her in the back bedroom and told her I needed privacy to give birth to her brother. I've been informed that when she's a big lady like me and she has her babies that I have to give her privacy and that Nanna is going to catch her babies and then tell me to come in after the baby is born.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrycountess View Post
The look on DH's face in pic2 is priceless, love it!!!
His face totally captures what the birth was like.

We're off to my mom's for the week. Love on those babies!
And thanks to everyone for sharing your pregnancy and birth stories with me, and for allowing me to do the same. You've all be so supportive and helpful...don't know how I would have gotten through this without you.

Christa
#7 of 11 Old 12-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Banned

Your pictures are so wonderful - you have an absolutely gorgeous family. What a great birth!
#8 of 11 Old 12-29-2007, 03:34 PM

I love your birth story! What an amazing relationship you must have with your mother. Happy Birthday Riley! Congrats to you and your family.

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#9 of 11 Old 12-29-2007, 03:39 PM

What a BEAUTIFUL story!
CONGRATULATIONS :
and Happy Babymoon! Your family is precious...
#10 of 11 Old 12-29-2007, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
How adorable!!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#11 of 11 Old 12-30-2007, 12:41 PM

Congratulations on a fast and beautiful birth! Welcome baby Riley!!! Your photos and family are lovely

(I'm officially stalking former November 2005 mamas... )

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page