sleep position - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-06-2008, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so, what position does your LO sleep in? maya USED to sleep on her side in the sidecar, but then over the past several nights has been spending at least part of the night laying on her tummy on my tummy with her head on my chest. and now the past 2 nights she will not sleep in the sidecar at all and will ONLY sleep on me. i was nervous about her sleeping each night on her belly, but the doc said that it's probably fine since she's on me and we're tuned into each other and it would be hard for her to turn and mash her face into my chest and stop breathing in the first place, much less w/o me noticing.

i feel like i've seen a lot of mamas posting about their babies sleeping tucked into their armpits. i gotta find those posts and see if these are the same mamas posting in the TMI stinky thread. i'd be afraid of the fumes affecting maya if she slept in MY armpit.

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
#2 of 10 Old 01-06-2008, 05:03 PM

LOL... babies LOVE armpit fumes! Seriously, they've done studies where babies respond better to unwashed mamas.

DD slept on her tummy from 3 weeks on. IT was the only way she would sleep, so we went with it. Now Fisher will sleep on his back, but only if tightly swaddled. I've nursed him lying down and let him sleep in my armpit, but it did make me a bit nervous that he'd roll into me and suffocate, so if I do that again I'll give him more space.
#3 of 10 Old 01-06-2008, 05:32 PM

Reese sleeps on her tummy for the most part. I can't get her to sleep any other way.
#4 of 10 Old 01-06-2008, 05:35 PM

Toren is an armpit man- I'm developing achy shoulders as a result! no matter where I position him- he always ends up in the armpit. Also- does anyone else have to hold their boob up when they nurse lying down? If I forget- he gets drowned in boob and has to rear back and gasp for oxygen! It scares the crap out of me every time... I think he needs a little baby-boobie-snorkel!
#5 of 10 Old 01-06-2008, 06:25 PM

Yep, gotta hold the boob out of the way to make room for air. Or else hold myself in a totally contorted position. I've managed a couple of times to fall asleep while nursing but wake up feeling all jacked up.

Mostly Iris sleeps on her back next to me. We sometimes do the armpit thing though. She's not much of a tummy sleeper. She'll nap on her tummy on my chest when I'm sitting up, but when I'm lying flat in bed, she's not comfortable on my chest.

Lynn, single lesbian mama to All Mighty Iris 12/10/07
#6 of 10 Old 01-06-2008, 06:53 PM

Olivia's best sleep is when we pass out together on the recliner - me reclining, her sleeping on her side in my arms. She'll sleep almost as well if we manage to fall asleep in bed with her head resting on my arm, but still a judicious distance from the pit
#7 of 10 Old 01-06-2008, 07:32 PM

Kaleb sleeps on his side, or his tummy. Only on his back if he's swaddled. And I'm stinky and he sleeps in my armpit when we nurse laying down.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#8 of 10 Old 01-07-2008, 01:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My LO is a belly or side sleeper, too. She sleeps with her head propped up on my arm boob in mouth most of the night. Or she will occasionally request to lay on my stomach at night face down. During the day she always sleeps stomach to stomach with me.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#9 of 10 Old 01-07-2008, 04:09 AM

Reyes likes sleeping tummy to tummy me on my back, him lying on it.

DP discovered that he sleeps well in the Boppy while in bed with us.

LO also likes sleeping next to either one of us skin to skin with his head elevated. He does not like being flat on his back.

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.
#10 of 10 Old 01-07-2008, 11:58 AM

Cyrus likes sleeping in my armpit, usually on his back, and sometimes on his side. We always seem to wind up in that position, even if we fall asleep nursing. I think it's, like, some universal, deep seated biological sleep position that mothers have used for eons to protect their baby. Anyone have a copy of "Beloved" by Toni Morrison lying around? In the very end, the first night after she has her baby, the main character has a scene where she falls asleep in bed with the baby and she's afraid she'll roll over on him, but her own mother tells her that babies need to sleep with their mamas. And she wakes up with him curled into the crook of her arm.
I read that way back before I knew about the politics of cosleeping, but it always struck me as a really beautiful passage.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page