elimination diet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-15-2008, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone here done an elimination diet? My son has reflux and we're using Zantac, but I'm wondering if he is reacting to something in my milk.

The thing is, I love dairy. I eat it all the time - milk, cheese, ice cream, butter. I don't think I ate one thing yesterday that didn't include dairy or at least milk proteins. I even made rice krispy treats and thought about how I wouldn't be able to have them anymore.. I am not sure I could live on an elimination diet! What would I do without my vanilla powder from the Coffee Bean?? And no wheat? I would do anything for my baby, but the diet is so extreme I am not sure I would be a healthy person (I am already quite slim) or a sane person without all the foods I would need to cut out. Plus, my husband and daughter would NOT be cool with the diet, so I'd have to make them separate dishes.

How do you ladies do it??
#2 of 11 Old 01-15-2008, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I was the same way when I did the elim diet with dd#2. Now, I'm doing it again. It's a lot easier now that I've done it before. But I'm sure dairy is the culprit.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#3 of 11 Old 01-15-2008, 05:55 PM

I'm starting to do this, because ds seems to have reflux. DD#2 had it too, but I didn't know what I know now and the doc told me it was no biggie and not to worry about it, so I did nothing. Hers did go away after a few months. I'm a big dairy eater too, but I know I can (hard as it may seem) live without it if my little guy needs me to. Besides it's only temporary.
#4 of 11 Old 01-15-2008, 07:25 PM

I've given up obvious dairy, but I'm not a label-reader: meaning, I don't eat any cheese/milk/butter/ice cream, but I'm not eliminating foods because they have whey or other subtle dairy stuff. Just doing that has made a difference in how much/how ling Olivia cries.
#5 of 11 Old 01-16-2008, 05:25 AM

I'm facing the same problem. I don't drink any milk or eat yogurt or ice cream or butter but OMG! I love my cheese. I can't picture life without it. I'm trying to just limit it as much as I can.
#6 of 11 Old 01-16-2008, 08:10 PM

How do you know if a baby has reflux? I don't think mine does, but he has bouts of serious, painful gas. He never spits up. Do I need to eliminate dairy to relieve his gas?
Anyone else have a generally gassy baby? Should I assume that dairy is the cause, or just that he's a baby and needs time to develop?

Gripe water works temporarily. We're trying Mylicon tonight. I just hate for him to be writhing in pain all the time.
#7 of 11 Old 01-16-2008, 10:07 PM

Mylicon drops never worked for any of my kids. And of course the Hyland's colic tablets I bought have lactose in them.

#8 of 11 Old 01-16-2008, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Mylicon drops never worked for any of my kids. And of course the Hyland's colic tablets I bought have lactose in them.
Lactose is not a milk protein, but a milk sugar. All breastmilk is loaded with it, regardless of mother's diet. All infants can digest lactose (unless they have a metabolic disorder) - otherwise they would be seriously malnourished/sick. Babies that react to the mother's consumption of dairy are reacting to whey and casien - milk proteins - not lactose. So even if you are on an elimination diet, lactose alone is okay.
#9 of 11 Old 01-16-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by look11 View Post
How do you know if a baby has reflux? I don't think mine does, but he has bouts of serious, painful gas. He never spits up. Do I need to eliminate dairy to relieve his gas?
Anyone else have a generally gassy baby? Should I assume that dairy is the cause, or just that he's a baby and needs time to develop?

Gripe water works temporarily. We're trying Mylicon tonight. I just hate for him to be writhing in pain all the time.

Try these links

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gassybaby.html

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#10 of 11 Old 01-17-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCKH View Post
Lactose is not a milk protein, but a milk sugar. All breastmilk is loaded with it, regardless of mother's diet. All infants can digest lactose (unless they have a metabolic disorder) - otherwise they would be seriously malnourished/sick. Babies that react to the mother's consumption of dairy are reacting to whey and casien - milk proteins - not lactose. So even if you are on an elimination diet, lactose alone is okay.
I know this. My dd had a dairy allergy, and ds and I are lactose intolerant.

However, I am weary of introducing anything milk based (esp. from cow milk) to a baby who already is having a reaction to dairy. Make sense?

#11 of 11 Old 01-17-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
I know this. My dd had a dairy allergy, and ds and I are lactose intolerant.

However, I am weary of introducing anything milk based (esp. from cow milk) to a baby who already is having a reaction to dairy. Make sense?
Makes sense to me- I avoid the colic tablets for the same reason

Have you tried gripe water?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page