Reason One Bazillion and One Why I am Glad I Breastfeed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2008, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night, one of my brilliant neighbors decided to dry her clothes in front of a high heat output electric heater and set her livingroom on fire. We were woken up at 3 am by a fireman knocking at our door saying that there was a fire in the building. We rushed to get dressed, as we only wear underwear to bed, get the cats in the pet carriers, I put a wrap on and put Alex in it, grabbed the diaper bag and blanket and our coats and got out. We were allowed to stay inside on the ground floor because the firefighters believed that they had the fire contained to the original apartment on one of the upper floors (we live in a 9 storey building). So we waited to hear what was going on.

In the mean time, Alexander was ready to eat, so I found a quiet corner, sat down and fed him. It was then that I realized that had I chosen to ff, we would have been in a world of hurt--I would have never remembered to grab the formula, water and bottles! I told my Hubby that I was so glad that I was breastfeeding and he wholeheartedly agreed.

Within the hour, we were given the all clear to return to our apartments. Ours was a teeny tiny bit smokey but all right after having the windows open to air out for a bit. Alex nursed to sleep, and Hubby and I soon went back to sleep as well.

Whew! Crisis averted!

Karin, Wife to Dear Sweet English Husband~Soon to be Legally American. Mom to Zach~13, Lily~9, Alex~2, and Izzy or Zeke arriving July 2010! Living a life full of LOVE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2008, 03:43 PM

OMG, that is so scary! I'm so glad you are all safe, and your home, too! for portable, delicious, never-hafta-think-about-it mama's milk!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
Old 01-19-2008, 03:47 PM

We had an apartment building fire in an adjacent building when I was in college...it was then that I decided my kids would be sleeping near me until they were capable of escaping a building on their own. I had my dog in the crate by the bed, we had to dress as well (I now wear more clothes to bed too ) and find the cat. It was so scary.

I'm so glad you guys are okay.

Christa
Old 01-22-2008, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
That is so scary! I am glad everyone is ok and thank goodness for bf!!!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

User Tag List