Sleep issues-cross post - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-20-2008, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reyes has an active startle reflex. His hands move alot when he is asleep. We have been swaddling him and this helps. However DP is holding him right now as he sleeps-and just realized that he wakes up every time his hands move-which is alot. It explains his waking up every hour-and that he seems to fight sleep. I'm wondering if he's afraid to fall asleep because of this reflex. We were putting him in a bassinet during the day to sleep-but now I think I may have to wear him.

I've also noticed him thrashing around in his sleep at night-he wakes up for a second fusses and falls back asleep before I have a chance to soothe him-he does this mostly in the early morning (3-5am) Is there anything I can do in addition to swaddling to stop this? I feel so bad for him that he's having such bad sleep-it also makes my sleep really bad-as I wake up after every wimper then I can't sleep because I'm listening to him and waiting for the wimper that means he needs to be fed/changed etc...

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-20-2008, 08:29 PM

We had the same issue with Isabel, and she refused to be swaddled - I started tummy sleeping her for all her naps at around 5-6 weeks. She had good head control, and I'd check her often, and it really helped her sleep a lot more deeply, since it seems to circumvent the startle reflex.
#3 of 9 Old 01-20-2008, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmmm-since we co-sleep-Reyes has been know to fall asleep on my lap as I burp him or on my chest-and then I'll fall asleep. I've been trying to avoid it as I worry about SIDS-so he sleeps swaddled in between DP and me on a Boppy-I am going to try him on his tummy either on my lap or my chest at night-we did not have this issue pre-Boppy-so he slept on us-usually face down.

I'll try it!

#4 of 9 Old 01-20-2008, 09:09 PM

i got a sleep positioner for maya (by "first years" - it cost like $10, i can find the model if you're interested) and have her sleep on her side. she startles really bad on her back, but not nearly as much on her side!

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
#5 of 9 Old 01-20-2008, 09:21 PM

Toren is an arm waver too. He wakes himself up constantly when on his back- but will not tolerate swaddling. I have resorted to sleeping him on his tummy :- with lots of supervision 'cause I worry- and it has helped a ton! He sleeps soooooo much better that way! At night he's on his tummy snuggled against me- head in my armpit. (Unless nursing- then he's tummy-to-tummy, but turns himself back over when he's done. ) I think as long as you keep an eye on him it's OK...:
Maybe Muffin's idea of a sleep positioner will work for you, though!
#6 of 9 Old 01-20-2008, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeMuffin View Post
i got a sleep positioner for maya (by "first years" - it cost like $10, i can find the model if you're interested) and have her sleep on her side. she startles really bad on her back, but not nearly as much on her side!
Can you show it to me? I would like to try that. Reyes woke up today every hour and was soooooo fussy! Until DP held him for a 3 hour nap just holding his hands every time they startled. He woke up so calm. It was like we had a different baby. It was cool though he was cooing and vocalizing instead of crying!

#7 of 9 Old 01-20-2008, 11:21 PM

i'm glad i'm not the only one, i really can't make "back to sleep" work with Calvin, he startles constantly. I try swaddling, but he always gets his arms free, he's really strong. I try side, or even tummy and it works better, but definitely worries me a little.
#8 of 9 Old 01-21-2008, 02:05 AM

here you go! i got it figuring it's only $11 so if it doesn't work, not a huge deal. but it seems to help!

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
#9 of 9 Old 01-21-2008, 11:08 AM

yeah, ime, tummy sleeping makes a huge difference in the startle reflex. in fact, i once read (can't 'member where) that this the actual reason that back-to-sleep is supposed to guard against SIDS--the babies aren't able to sleep as deeply or as long, so the parent has to check on the more frequently.

personally, i would not worry for one second about tummy sleep if you are co sleeping, assuming your mattress is "safe" and all that.

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page