where do you put baby down when you need to get stuff done? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 01-22-2008, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
or... do you never put baby down at all?

maya likes to be held a lot, obviously, being that she's a baby and all, and we are more than happy to oblige. she is worn in the moby frequently in front carries. neither of us have been able to figure out the back carries, and tbh i'm not really that comfortable with them because i like to check her breathing pretty often. i feel like a back carry would be overly anxiety-inducing for a neurotic mama like me.

but sometimes i need to do stuff that i cannot be holding/wearing her for. well basically, cooking certain things that involve a risk of spattering hot oil or splashing boiling water on the baby. or dropping pots and pans on her head when i go to grab them out of the cabinet. no matter how careful i am, i don't like the idea of the baby being right there in case an accident were to happen, you know? i used to lay her down in a playpen bassinette thing right by the kitchen and she'd just chill out, cycle her legs, hang out, and then fall asleep - but now that's not working out so well. she will play, squeal, and have fun for 5 minutes... and then get lonely and fuss or cry. same with her little playgym thing. i have a crappy old bouncy chair and travel swing, neither of which has batteries yet (stupid husband), but she isn't too happy about being left in those for more than 5 minutes either. i wanted to buy a new swing, but the ones at BRU were way too fancy-pants and expensive. i just want one of those crappy old swings from like the 80s, but everything at the store was low to the ground and just, i dunno, i didn't like 'em.

anyway, so far we've been able to make it work out okay for the most part, but there have been two times that i burned things in the kitchen pretty badly because of trying to deal with both her and cooking. it would be easier if i could just not have to cook, but that's not really plausible, lol. and while i *could* just let her fuss for the 10 minutes i'd need to get all the unsafe stuff done, i really don't feel comfortable doing that.

so i'm wondering what you do when you're doing stuff where holding the baby or babywearing in a front carry isn't a good idea.

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 01-22-2008, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
hahahaha

Putting baby down? You silly girl.

Usually I put baby down on her belly on a blanket and have my kids watch (i.e. poke at her) while I run around like a chicken with my head cut off before she screams.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#3 of 28 Old 01-22-2008, 08:41 PM

^ :

That 5 minutes is about all I get...
Just wait until Maya is a spirited toddler, and while doing gymnastics on the furniture, falls and splits her lip open - requiring your full attention while her newborn sibling screams because he/she can't find their hands. :

Being a mother makes you the ultimate juggler - it just takes time to get used to it. It never ends. Ever. Ever ever ever.
#4 of 28 Old 01-22-2008, 08:50 PM

You just gotta master the back carry - or put 'em in a neglect-o-matic (I <heart> my cradle swing for this) and work fast

I do all my cooking and cleaning with Olivia on my back in a mei tai. I can usually even feel her breathing, and if you're really paranoid, they're easy to poke when they're right back there too
#5 of 28 Old 01-22-2008, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

meh. my brother and i are 22 months apart, so i often wonder how my mom did it, and then i remember that we lived in india till i was 1 and so my grandma and great aunt LIVED with her and were there to help with cooking, cleaning, and childcare. maybe my mom can quit her job and move in. my dad won't mind his wife moving 250 miles away, right? my husband won't mind his MIL living with us for the next few years, right? RIGHT???

any tips on mastering the back carry? or any brand name recs for neglect-o-matics? specifically swings?

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
#6 of 28 Old 01-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Banned

practice the back carry while standing on your bed. go to mamatoto.com or .org, i cant remember which, they have lots of pictures and videos of wrap (front and back)carries.
#7 of 28 Old 01-22-2008, 09:59 PM

Some ideas for cooking include sandwiches, salads, and making ahead on the weekends when husband is available? I have the best deal though--husband who cooks!
#8 of 28 Old 01-22-2008, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry_mama View Post
practice the back carry while standing on your bed. go to mamatoto.com or .org, i cant remember which, they have lots of pictures and videos of wrap (front and back)carries.
sweet, ty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erica990 View Post
Some ideas for cooking include sandwiches, salads, and making ahead on the weekends when husband is available? I have the best deal though--husband who cooks!
we've been doing thst, and akex cooks, but he gets home at dinnertimr... abnd i miss eating fresh-cooked stuffat dinner. & i missed cooking, cuz i was on modified bed rest for 5 months!

but i thought of two other solutions - crockpot and pressure cooker. pre-prep can mostly be done while wearing her, can spend 5 min at a time doing prep that cant be done w/her, abnd voila!

#9 of 28 Old 01-22-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeMuffin View Post
or... do you never put baby down at all?

i just want one of those crappy old swings from like the 80s, but everything at the store was low to the ground and just, i dunno, i didn't like 'em.

Check freecycle for an older swing. I found a crank up swing that works great on freecycle and Elliot LOVE, LOVE, LOVES it!

Oh I use the boppy to when I need to set him down. I put another pillow under the back half of the boppy so its taller and he gets to sit up more. Oh and anoy of the containment devices (chair, boppy) coupled with a ceiling fan or the fireplace is great entertainment. Elliot could watch the fan for hours.
#10 of 28 Old 01-22-2008, 10:38 PM

Kaleb will actually fuss to be put down, sometimes he just needs a stretch.

I will put him in the boppy on the sofa (bad mommy! lol) facing pictures of his brother and himself that he LOVES to look at. Or I'll put him in the swing or bouncy.

Or I nurse him to sleep and get what I can done.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#11 of 28 Old 01-22-2008, 11:41 PM

I just mastered the back carry in the BH last night. It was great! I could get stuff done, and I can still feel her breathing against me (I was worried about not seeing her as well. In fact I brought out an old broken mirror and have it placed next to the closet so I can keep an eye on her on my back while putting clothes away.).

Otherwise, the only place(s) that she will tolerate being put down awake is the cradle swing upstairs and the FP Soothing Motions glider downstairs. It doesn't vibrate, but it does move back and forth and the motion soothes her and even helps her get gas out when she's cranky from having gas bubbles. I would get nothing done without it, honestly.
#12 of 28 Old 01-22-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katfka View Post
^ :

That 5 minutes is about all I get...
Just wait until Maya is a spirited toddler, and while doing gymnastics on the furniture, falls and splits her lip open - requiring your full attention while her newborn sibling screams because he/she can't find their hands. :

Being a mother makes you the ultimate juggler - it just takes time to get used to it. It never ends. Ever. Ever ever ever.
This reminded me of yesterday...while I was nursing the LO my toddler shoved a large bead up her nose!

Emily Wife to Luke and Mama to: Violet 9-20-05 Fletcher 12-20-07 : and Owen 7-03-09
#13 of 28 Old 01-23-2008, 12:49 AM

Alice is cool in her bouncy seat/swing as long as Ella is right in her face distracting her from the injustice she is being asked to endure. But then I am unable to relax and watch what I am doing because toddler+infant alone on the floor is just asking for an eye to get poked out (on accident - Ella loves to rub alice's cheeks, and silly alice just jerks her head around - it's more of "she ran her eye into my finger!" than the other way around.)

I've learned to do things fast, and be okay with a bit of whining/crying. I can't make everyone happy all the time, and I deserve to pee alone every once in a while.

ps her old school swing is from Craigslist. $10, and the cover is washable, so I don't worry about cooties.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#14 of 28 Old 01-23-2008, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

That's The Swing I Want!!!

eta - i wrote that in all caps! it looks like the title of a song or something now.

#15 of 28 Old 01-23-2008, 02:23 AM

I had a swing with my first DS that cranked up. It clicked and creaked something awful! We loved it so.

PS. The year was 1991.
#16 of 28 Old 01-23-2008, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katfka View Post
...while her newborn sibling screams because he/she can't find their hands. :
This is exactly what happens

Hahahahahaha laughup

Sophie, wife to DH, AP mama to DD1 (12/07) and DD2 (04/10)
#17 of 28 Old 01-23-2008, 05:38 AM

Gosh...
Reading this made me realize just how lucky I am to have 3 older children.
Well, 3 older homeschooled children, around the house all day, that is! Without all the extra hands to help me- I don't know how I'd keep it together right now! :
Of course- if I didn't have all those extra hands- I probably wouldn't need to be running around so much- and probably wouldn't need as much help...
But it is great, Toren always has fresh arms to hold him- which is good because he doesn't care much for any of the 'hang out' zones that he has...he hates the swing...and will chill in the vibrating bouncy seat for a few minutes only if he's in the mood...
#18 of 28 Old 01-23-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:

any tips on mastering the back carry? or any brand name recs for neglect-o-matics? specifically swings?
We have an older Fisher Price cradle swing, along these lines. A friend lent it to us and I can get Olivia to sleep in it for a short while during the day, and sometimes an hour or two at night. I do run the white noise sounds on it at full blast, tho, and often it takes running the vacuum first to stun her to sleep. But when I need a shower or she's inconsolable fussy, ya do what ya gotta do.

I love my BabyHawk for back carries - it's really easy to master without help. I line the bottom strap of the 'Hawk up with the end of the bed, then lay Olivia in the center of the fabric. I fold up the bottom strap to make a shallow pocket, tie the strap around my waist, smush her feet/legs up a little so we're both comfortable, then lean back and grab the top straps where they connect to the body of the carrier. Then I lean back a little and just lift her up using the carrier. I do a rucksack carry, so it's easy to just wrap the straps under my arms, cross 'em in back and then bring them around front and tie them. She'll spend 2-3 hours in this position, and while I can't stop moving for long, it allows me to get stuff done!
#19 of 28 Old 01-23-2008, 12:41 PM

We use the bassinet and I put it under the fan so she can look at it, she really likes it. But ideally I try to have her asleep when I'm cooking.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#20 of 28 Old 01-23-2008, 12:41 PM

Oh VickV I LOVE he vacuum trick! She's out so quick when I turn it on. DS did the same thing.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#21 of 28 Old 01-23-2008, 01:10 PM

People get things done? I got a shower today without DH being home with the baby, that's been the highlight of my week.

I do recommend the crockpot and if you were really on the ball (which I'm not) you could get everything ready the night before while DH watches the baby and then just turn it on in the morning.

I have an Ergo and for the life of me, I cannot get Ash into a back carry, although I'd love to because my short little arms make it hard to do things like wash dishes and cook with him in front.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#22 of 28 Old 01-23-2008, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

SUCCESS. she is in the bouncy right now and has been for an hour, sleeping happily, which i hadn't planned on at all - i just put her in there so i could poop! since she's been knocked out cold, i made dinner and cleaned the living room and i should stop playing online and should clean the bedroom. then i am gonna get dressed, nurse her, slap on the moby, take a walk, and then just hang out till daddy comes home.

edit: or, she'll somehow know i typed that and wake up. but the new plan is, to nurse & change, get dressed, moby, walk, clean the bedroom, and THEN just hang out. let's see how that one works.

#23 of 28 Old 01-23-2008, 07:47 PM

With Sofie I would just phone up dh and say "baby is fussy I can't put her down, bring something home for supper." It worked like a charm. Unfortanetly I can't do that now. Two kids adds a demension that is difficult to deal with to say the least.

Pam, momma to Sofie Avye Seth
#24 of 28 Old 01-23-2008, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minsca View Post
With Sofie I would just phone up dh and say "baby is fussy I can't put her down, bring something home for supper." It worked like a charm.
i'd love that, but we so do not have the money for that to happen very often. oh well. i do like cooking, at least, and i have some quick and easy meal ideas, a crockpot, & a pressure cooker. i've been making big portions so that one day of cooking leads to a few days of eating.

#25 of 28 Old 01-23-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
i'd love that, but we so do not have the money for that to happen very often. oh well. i do like cooking, at least, and i have some quick and easy meal ideas, a crockpot, & a pressure cooker. i've been making big portions so that one day of cooking leads to a few days of eating.
Do you have a Costco? They sell hugantic pizzas for like $8 - DH and I can get 4 meals out of one pizza. And the pizza is really good ... it's an awesome cheap and easy meal.

I made a wicked easy stew yesterday, too. I did take a little extra time to coat the meat with seasoned flour and brown it, but I used baby carrots and the refrigerator case 'Simply Potatoes' and a bit of beef stock and it was awesome.

Chili is another really easy crock pot meal - I almost always make vegetarian chili, too, since it's so easy to use a meat substitute and still have everything taste awesome.
#26 of 28 Old 01-24-2008, 09:52 AM

$6 thrift shop swing, or, if she's asleep, the bed.

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#27 of 28 Old 01-24-2008, 01:10 PM

Just to add...I told DH to eat lunch later so he's not starving when he gets home. He gets to cuddle with the baby and I get some two handed cooking time which I really enjoy.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#28 of 28 Old 01-24-2008, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickV View Post
Do you have a Costco? They sell hugantic pizzas for like $8 - DH and I can get 4 meals out of one pizza. And the pizza is really good ... it's an awesome cheap and easy meal.

I made a wicked easy stew yesterday, too. I did take a little extra time to coat the meat with seasoned flour and brown it, but I used baby carrots and the refrigerator case 'Simply Potatoes' and a bit of beef stock and it was awesome.

Chili is another really easy crock pot meal - I almost always make vegetarian chili, too, since it's so easy to use a meat substitute and still have everything taste awesome.
We do have a Costco, and a card and everything. Since I was on modified bed rest for the last 5 months of my pregnancy, though, that's ALL WE ATE... the pizza, the fire-roasted veggie lasagna, and the eggplant parmesan. I miss cooking! But I've been able to do it the past 3 days, so - yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday13th View Post
Just to add...I told DH to eat lunch later so he's not starving when he gets home. He gets to cuddle with the baby and I get some two handed cooking time which I really enjoy.
Alex never wants to eat right when he gets home, but I'm usually starving by then and ready to throw the baby to him and sit down and EAT with both hands!

OMG look at me capitalizing, guys! With a baby on my lap and everything!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page