How often are you bathing your newborn? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Madison gets one about once a week and she takes it with me.
#32 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
ds gets cleaned one way or the other at least once a week. Most of the time DH just gives him a sponge bath. I have also taken him in the shower with me twice (we have a water pouch) and he and I have taken a bath together once. We haven't used soap on him yet, though. I have really sensitive skin and want to avoid anything that will bother him until we absolutely have to.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#33 of 45 Old 01-26-2008, 04:11 AM

I think she's had 4 baths in seven weeks. :x First one wasn't until like 3 weeks old or so. Well, a few days shy. Pretty much she's bathed whenever we go to MIL's house since it smells like smoke.
#34 of 45 Old 01-26-2008, 02:34 PM

Cyrus has had one bath, more because it sounded like fun than I thought he needed it. We put him in one of those mesh bath chairs in the big bathtub, and he adored it. We took plenty of photos for his prom date. He doesn't seem dirty or smelly, so I'll probably keep them infrequent until he starts, y'know, making mud pies and stuff. They're fun but they are a bit of a production.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#35 of 45 Old 01-26-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MamaJen* View Post
We took plenty of photos for his prom date.

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
#36 of 45 Old 01-28-2008, 06:47 PM

ryan's not had a bath yet @ 3 weeks, i've washed her hair, once after birth. other that that, i wipe down her face and neck, and her butt of course. her skins been really dry so i don't want to bathe her too often.

married to my best friend, stillheart.gif britt, since 8.12.2004 ...homeschooling mama to my girls: avi born 8.3.05, my ryan leanor 1.5.08, azia 9.2.09, and #4 a BOY! due in november 2011.  homebirth.jpg

#37 of 45 Old 01-29-2008, 02:26 AM

Crikey! Alex has had a bath with either Daddy or Mommy every evening since he was born! I guess at first I wanted him to get used to floating freely (we support the back of his head far enough up so that his ears don't get wet, let alone face) just incase he became colicky like his older sister. Long baths combined with numerous nursing sessions were truely what got us through her colic. Alex has indeed followed in his sister's footsteps and is colicky, and like his sister, long baths are a godsend. He stops crying as soon as he hears the water running, and we even got one of his first smiles in the bath.

*knock on wood* his skin hasn't dried out, so well keep on with the nightly ritual.

Karin, Wife to Dear Sweet English Husband~Soon to be Legally American. Mom to Zach~13, Lily~9, Alex~2, and Izzy or Zeke arriving July 2010! Living a life full of LOVE!
#38 of 45 Old 01-29-2008, 10:50 AM

was bathing nicky in her little tub about twice a week, plus a washcloth top and bottom as necessary. she's minded it less and less (see first and second and later). but our apartment is super drafty, so this morning we put her in the shower with daddy which she loved! he held her with washcloths, but i'll definitely need to get a mesh sling. am now officially over baby tub, too hard to fill one-handed.

lips.gif mama to flower.gif n 12.17.07 and coolshine.gif j 08.13.09

#39 of 45 Old 01-29-2008, 11:25 AM

It was killing my mom that we hadn't bathed Zara in her first few days of life. She is 11 weeks now and we bath her maybe 2x/week. DH always does it b/c I'm actually scared of bathing a newborn, dumb I know but this way he always does it I just gave her one the other day and it was kind of fun. Anyways dh always put her in the kitchen sink and then the big tub. She loves it! I love BB apricot oil on her afterwards.

Leslie, mama to Paige 8, Zara 3 and Audrey, Sophia & Nina June 7/11 @32.6
angel1.gifOct/01angel1.gif July/10angel1.gif Sept/10

#40 of 45 Old 01-29-2008, 04:23 PM

After both my boys having dry skin and reading about the skin problems that can come from bathing too frequently... we give Jasmine a sponge bath once a week. If she's stinky we'll do it a little sooner... but I prefer to let her skin absorb her natural oils and not get dry like the boys did. Eh... that's just us.

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
#41 of 45 Old 01-29-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeMuffin View Post
i think you are absolutely right. she would always feel cold to the touch after the bath. now, we usually shower w/her but sometimes i will bathe her in the tub with me. the bathroom is all nice and warm and steamy, and i dry her in the bathroom, then take her right out to the changing table for a lotion massage and a change into PJs. her skin is all warm, she's happy and cooing, and it's so adorable. i feel bad for the times i tortured her in that tub.
Muffin...don;t feel too bad. It seems like the first kid is the one we do all the learning on...you seem to be figuring things out much better than I did with my first son (Owen)

With Silas there have been so many things that he hasn't had to endure because we already learned the hard way w/Owen.
Silas is so lucky to have a big bro breaking the way for him
#42 of 45 Old 01-30-2008, 01:47 AM

We bath DD every evening as part of a going to sleep routine - bath, nursing, cuddling, sleep.
I also took her to a bath with me several times and nursed her there. It is SO nice!!! And she loves it. Especially if I nurse her in a football hold, then she is fully submerged in water while nursing, except for the head of course.

Sophie, wife to DH, AP mama to DD1 (12/07) and DD2 (04/10)
#43 of 45 Old 01-30-2008, 05:23 AM

Reyes gets a bath or good sponge bath every 3-4 days. He hates it! I am going to try bathing with him to see if that works better.

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.
#44 of 45 Old 01-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Banned

So tonight I took Viano into the tub with me and held her head up while she floated around and she loved it. The only reason I did it was because a friend gave us this really luscious organic cotton baby towel and washcloth and I wanted to use it really bad. Now that I know how to make Viano actually enjoy her bath, maybe we'll do it more often. lol.
#45 of 45 Old 01-31-2008, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfam View Post
Muffin...don;t feel too bad. It seems like the first kid is the one we do all the learning on...you seem to be figuring things out much better than I did with my first son (Owen)

With Silas there have been so many things that he hasn't had to endure because we already learned the hard way w/Owen.
Silas is so lucky to have a big bro breaking the way for him
that makes me feel a LOT better. poor maya! the next baby's gonna have a much easier time. of some things anyway, but then maya will be poking him/her in the eyeballs constantly i'm sure.

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page