How often are you bathing your newborn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 01-24-2008, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is 5 weeks old... we wash his face in the morning and rinse his bum when it's an explosive poop... we have also been trying to establish a nighttime routine... bath, nurse, tummy time with dad, nurse and sleep.... wait, I forgot the other reason we've been bathing him everyday... because we've been treating thrush....

but is bathing him every night too often?....
#2 of 45 Old 01-24-2008, 11:52 PM

Olivia has had three baths. She doesn't spit up, so I don't really feel the need to bathe her that often ...

I might worry about dry skin with daily baths. Does he feel dry?
#3 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I would also worry about too frequent bathing.

Baby gets one every 3-4 days. She showers with me.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#4 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 12:41 AM

I think we've done 5 baths. She doesn't stink at all.
#5 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 01:10 AM

I have to curb my bathing urges - but there are few things more lovely than bathing with your newborn.

Also reminds me of his first moments of his post-womb life (waterbirth.)

Oh snickerdoodle, there goes my letdown.

---
Yuri has had 2 baths. I keep forgetting that all of your newborns are like a month older than mine. (He just hit 2 weeks.) :
#6 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 01:32 AM
Banned

viano is almost 3 weeks and we haven't bathed her yet....maybe this weekend...
#7 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katfka View Post
Oh snickerdoodle, there goes my letdown.

I think Toren has had 3 or 4 at this point- mostly we wipe him down with a warm, wet rag.
#8 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 11:26 AM

Whats "bathing?"

This baby is so dirty.

I take her in the shower with me when I can. But I dont bathe her very often. maybe once a week?
#9 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 12:34 PM

Cooper is 6 weeks now and he has had one sponge(washcloth) bath in the baby bathtub. Otherwise I have wiped him down with wet cloth wipes a few times and I try to wipe his face on a regular basis, but that's it.

I too would worry about dry skin in bathing a baby every day especially during the winter.
#10 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 12:46 PM

Dd is 5 1/2 weeks. We only gave sponge baths up until she was 3 weeks. Now I am trying to give her a bath once a week so she gets used to it. I've heard not to bathe more than once or twice a week at first, though. Plus most newborns don't need more than that.
#11 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 12:55 PM

I think it's fine to bathe him daily...esp if you are establishing a routine. If you are concerned about his skin, skip the soap and add a baby massage after the bath.

I bathed my 1st daily, my 2nd every other day, and this one about once a week.

Christa
#12 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 12:55 PM

every other night the 3 of us do a family shower. she LOVES it. if she seemed like she was getting dry, i'd just stop soaping her as often, but she really likes the whole process so we just have a blast doing it. she sleeps better - as in, more relaxed, not longer - on shower nights.

i think every night is too much if it SEEMS like too much. but if his skin is fine and it's treating his thrush or helping him sleep better then i don't see how it's a big deal.

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
#13 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Banned

ok,well i felt guilty for not bathing my baby afyter reading this so i gave her a bath this morning and she hated it. poor little pumpkin...
#14 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 01:06 PM

The Boy gets a bath, probably twice a week or rather a shower with one of us since we finally figured out how to do it. I went into motherhood thinking there was no need to bathe newborns more than once a week and certainly no need to use soap but he sleeps with his head in my armpit and I leak milk all over him at night so after a few days he smells like a locker room.

By the way, for those of you who bathe with your babies, how warm do you make the water? When he's in with me, I stand there and shiver while DH insists the water isn't much different than what he showers in himself. Apparently I take super hot showers.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#15 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 01:09 PM

i take BOILING hot showers alone. with the baby, i'll make the temp a little less hot, but it's still pretty warm. not as hot as i like. i'll fill up a little mug of water and put my wrist and elbow in and judge w/that if it's too hot.

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
#16 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday13th View Post
but he sleeps with his head in my armpit and I leak milk all over him at night so after a few days he smells like a locker room.

:

:
#17 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 02:58 PM

DD is 4 weeks old. She has had two sponge baths and been dipped in a water bath for about 5 sec - which she informed me in no uncertain term was unacceptable.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#18 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 03:44 PM

maya hates being bathed (exhibit 1) unless she's on my lap in the tub or held by daddy in the shower. then she looooooves it.

#19 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeMuffin View Post
maya hates being bathed (exhibit 1) unless she's on my lap in the tub or held by daddy in the shower. then she looooooves it.
I have that tub. I think the babies get COLD in it.

try submerging baby (except head, of course) in deep water where they can "float." (and nurse!)

they'll love baths.
#20 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
I have that tub. I think the babies get COLD in it.
i think you are absolutely right. she would always feel cold to the touch after the bath. now, we usually shower w/her but sometimes i will bathe her in the tub with me. the bathroom is all nice and warm and steamy, and i dry her in the bathroom, then take her right out to the changing table for a lotion massage and a change into PJs. her skin is all warm, she's happy and cooing, and it's so adorable. i feel bad for the times i tortured her in that tub.

#21 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 06:44 PM

I've only given Ian 3 baths in his little baby bath...other than that I have just wiped him down. ::looking around guiltily:: It's just so cold around here....I do think you can give a baby a bath as often as you want unless you see his/her skin not reacting well or something. I have worries about eczema with this kid so I have been relaxed about bathing him too often.

Interestingly, he loves his baths though. He just looks around and has never even squawked once. I wondered if it was because he was a waterbirth. Our big-person bathtub has been out of commission for months and dh almost has it fixed. I can't wait to take a bath with him in the next few days, I think he will really love that.
#22 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeMuffin View Post
i think you are absolutely right. she would always feel cold to the touch after the bath. now, we usually shower w/her but sometimes i will bathe her in the tub with me. the bathroom is all nice and warm and steamy, and i dry her in the bathroom, then take her right out to the changing table for a lotion massage and a change into PJs. her skin is all warm, she's happy and cooing, and it's so adorable. i feel bad for the times i tortured her in that tub.
Yup, both of mine hated that tub too. And they have both LOVED nursing in the tub. With dd #1 as a first time mom I remember being surprised the first few times I would bathe with her that she would cry every time I got too close. Took me a little while to figure out that the cries coincided with every time a naked nipple crossed her path and she wasn't getting any! Once she was able to happily latch on at will she loved the bath.
#23 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 07:01 PM

I took an herb bath with him everyday for the first week, and then either bathed him or brought him in the shower with me every 2-3 days. (His skin gets pretty dry)

Emily Wife to Luke and Mama to: Violet 9-20-05 Fletcher 12-20-07 : and Owen 7-03-09
#24 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 07:08 PM

Jon is a month old and he has had 3-4 baths and 2 showers. He's got really oily skin and also sleeps in dh's armpit so the two combined makes for a stinky baby.

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#25 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 08:02 PM

Ds gets bathed once a week with just water. I do use soap on his hair though. He has a lot of hair and it gets all crusty from dried milk and spit up.
#26 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 08:05 PM

Jack has had a few baths. I do it when he stinks. He spits up a lot, so I am paranoid about him stinking. I have never taken him in the shower... is there anything special I need to know to do that? I hate baths, never take them, so in order for us to bathe together it will have to be in the shower.
#27 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 08:13 PM

I have the same tub Muffin does, and Olivia tolerates it reasonably well, but it makes sense that they get cold in it ... I think now that I've stopped bleeding (I think) I'll do the next bath with her - that sounds fun!
#28 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 09:03 PM

I've wiped her down here and there, shampooed her hair with a washcloth twice when it was getting a little stinky and used some Burt's Bees oil on her scalp...

But, no real baths yet...I love my baby's stank! :
#29 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 09:09 PM

i've got another one of the stinky armpit babies! we've only given him two baths in his five weeks of life. but we do take him in the shower once in a while. Sometimes I just wash his hair over the sink to get the stinky armpit/spitup smell off!

Christy-SAHM to my elf princess(4/06) and my little man (12/07). Married to the love of my life and expecting our pumpkin baby boy 10/09! :
#30 of 45 Old 01-25-2008, 09:12 PM

:
no baths or showers... just washcloth wipedowns
he's just not smelly or dirty
i wish i had a water sling though so i could feel comfortable taking him in shower

Heather, ds Dante (12.28.07) and due in April.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page