What are you using to wear your baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 01-24-2008, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've tried using a non-adjustable pouch as well as a padded closed ended ring sling and he hasn't liked it too much... not sure I was doing positioning him correctly in the cradle carry, and wasn't cooing and moving around right away .... which might all be reasons he didn't like it....

BUT... maybe it's not the right thing..... I got the pouch and closed ended sling because the babywearer said it might be the easiest for a brand new user to learn..... but wondering if I should try an ergo with infant insert or even a mei tai?..... he's only 5 weeks though so I didn't think he was old enough for a mei tai.... (?).... i don't know what are you guys' experience?...
#2 of 38 Old 01-24-2008, 11:50 PM

I've used a wrap, pouch and mei tai so far. The mei tai is my favorite of the three.

I use the pouch for quick shopping trips, but I don't find it super comfy for extended use. I don't know how comfy Olivia finds it, either, as she's always smooshed up in there.

The wrap is now sitting in a drawer and probably should be sold - I loved it for the first month, but cannot be bothered with all that fabric and hassle right now.

The mei tai is just awesome. I do back carries all day long at home, and front carries when I go out. I didn't think it would be great for a tiny baby, but I just fold her legs up so she's 'sitting' on them, and she's fine. It's pretty much all I've been using for the past couple weeks.
#3 of 38 Old 01-25-2008, 01:31 AM
Banned

ellaroo (woven wrap) and babyhawk.
#4 of 38 Old 01-25-2008, 01:59 AM

ooooh. I really, really want to try a Mei Tai! I have an old Peanut Shell, a no name front carrier, and an Infantino sling thingie that we got at our local Flea Market- and that's what we use the most. I'm too impatient for my Moby.
#5 of 38 Old 01-25-2008, 01:07 PM

Currently the only thing he really likes is the Ergo, I don't use the infant insert, just frog his legs up inside it. He likes to be more upright than I can get him in a sling right now.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#6 of 38 Old 01-25-2008, 01:12 PM

moby in hug hold (not newborn hug). i want to try the ergo the way friday13th says but when maya's in the newborn hug hold w/frogged legs, she attempts to jump out every other second and gets mad that she's trapped. anything TOUCHING her feet makes her push off. but i do not like the infant insert of the ergo!

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
#7 of 38 Old 01-25-2008, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday13th View Post
Currently the only thing he really likes is the Ergo, I don't use the infant insert, just frog his legs up inside it. He likes to be more upright than I can get him in a sling right now.
Wait, how are the babies managing with the Ergo and Mei Tei if they can't hold up their heads?... have you found this to be a problem?.... I heard/read that newborns can be sometimes too young for the back carry... is this not true?.... it would be so great if I could do the back carry...
#8 of 38 Old 01-25-2008, 01:25 PM

I could have written your post. Before dd was born, I had bought a pouch and the maya wrap (ring sling). Neither of them are very comfortable to me and even though dd loves being held, she doesn't seem happy in either of them. I'm looking at possibly going with a mei tai or ergo as well because I think we would both be happier with the upright position.
#9 of 38 Old 01-25-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Wait, how are the babies managing with the Ergo and Mei Tei if they can't hold up their heads?... have you found this to be a problem?.... I heard/read that newborns can be sometimes too young for the back carry... is this not true?.... it would be so great if I could do the back carry...
*Usually* Olivia gets her head turned so it's kind of wedged between my back and the body of my BabyHawk, and it's easy to keep her head up. Once in awhile, she slumps down in there, but it doesn't seem to bug her when she does, and I can easily feel her breathing against my back.

In a back carry - in my experience - the babe is held so snugly against you that they almost always stay upright.
#10 of 38 Old 01-25-2008, 03:25 PM

I have a Maya ring sling and a New Native pouch, but I'm not using either very much. I find around the house I just carry him and do everything one handed. : It just seems like alot of trouble to "suit up" and get him in there and then I get so freaking HOT when I'm babywearing...I sweat buckets. What's with that?

I do use the ring sling when I'm out with all the kids and my dh has worn it on several occasions.

Christa
#11 of 38 Old 01-25-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
maya can hold up her head and could at birth. i dunno why.

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
#12 of 38 Old 01-25-2008, 03:44 PM

Hotsling was my fave....

or smaller sized MT like babyhawk or kolamo - both with front carry.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#13 of 38 Old 01-25-2008, 07:09 PM

I've been using my new native, moby and hotsling. Until my babyhawk came now that's all I use. I'm in :

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#14 of 38 Old 01-25-2008, 07:39 PM

I am using the ergo with the infant insert. I tried a hotsling and ring sling, but he did not like those at all. The first time I put him in the ergo, he fell fast asleep. He loves to be upright, so it was perfect for him, and allows me to have two hands finally.
#15 of 38 Old 01-25-2008, 08:59 PM

I'm absolutely in love with my Sleepy Wrap!
#16 of 38 Old 01-25-2008, 09:19 PM

I have used a wrap, a Mei Tai, and a pouch. In the past I have always used a ring sling but I lent mine out and dh is very possesive of his. She was fine in all of them until she started being aware of her surroundings and now she prefers the pouch facing out. I have to watch her head but she loves it.
#17 of 38 Old 01-25-2008, 09:27 PM

we use the peanut shell all the time. it's super comfy for me and jack loves it. I'm suspicious that he likes being in there even more than nursing!!! we alternate with the moby hug hold and the new native.

i like the moby for walks but it does take patience to get it all set up. i'm getting faster though and love the weight distribution. how big does he need to be before trying some other holds? like lotus?

Christy-SAHM to my elf princess(4/06) and my little man (12/07). Married to the love of my life and expecting our pumpkin baby boy 10/09! :
#18 of 38 Old 01-25-2008, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I love my adjustable fleece pouch! He's always fast asleep after about 5 minutes and it's way easy to get on and off when running errands and going in and out of the car over and over. Plus, it keeps him nice and warm in the frosty weather.

We've tried the Moby, but it just isn't worth the amount of work it takes so far. DS doesn't like it nearly as much as the pouch. We've also used a solarveil pouch in the shower, but I don't like the fit very much. Fortunately I don't need to use it for more than 15 minutes at a time.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#19 of 38 Old 01-26-2008, 01:24 AM

I have a fleece sling, cloth sling, and wrap. Use the wrap in the hug hold too. Both my dd have had strong necks and been able to hold their heads up from birth. Avye has been able to lift her chest off and hold herself up on her arms since around 4 weeks. It's their daddy's genes.

Pam, momma to Sofie Avye Seth
#20 of 38 Old 01-26-2008, 02:54 AM

We've been using a wrap. I like the snugness but don't like having to deal with all the fabric everytime I put it on. So far, I haven't been able to get comfortable w/a ring sling.

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#21 of 38 Old 01-26-2008, 03:56 AM

I am using a Moby wrap in a Hug Hold. DD falls asleep in it in 5-10 minutes. I like the weight distribution and the snug fit, but it really takes patience to put it on. And it does get hot in there.

I also have a Hotsling that is too big on me. Need to return it and take one my size.

I want to try Beco 4th generation, adjustable fleece pouch and a BH.

Sophie, wife to DH, AP mama to DD1 (12/07) and DD2 (04/10)
#22 of 38 Old 01-26-2008, 04:17 AM

We have a closed tail ring sling that stays in our small stroller as a backup. It's nice and easy, but not too comfy. I have a fleece pouch that I use for very small jaunts around the house. I'm finding one shoulder carriers pretty uncomfy. I'm hoping my RS will be different since I have a matching diaper bag and am in love with the pattern (Vera Bradley ::. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my babyhawk. I just hate that I've not gotten the hang of nursing while walking with it like I can with my pouches and RS. I've figured out the newborn back carry and it is wonderful while putting away laundry, etc. I also just got a podaegi, but it only arrived today so I did a primitive back carry with Anna-Lee but haven't tried it with Reese yet.
#23 of 38 Old 01-26-2008, 02:49 PM

Maybe it's not too early to pull out the babyhawk, then? I haven't touched mine yet but I think it's time for a test run.
Much to my surprise, I am not feeling the Moby love. I thought it would be my favorite around the house, but I think I need some more instructions. His head always seems squished in a weird angle and he tries to kick his way out.
I have a New Native that also isn't working out--it's the smallest size, which I think is the problem, what with my nursing boobs ready to eat Tokyo and all.
I do love my Zolo ring sling, and it's like morphine to Cyrus. He zonks out as soon as he's in it. That's the one I've been reaching for. Only it's this 1970s pattern, brown with pink and orange flowers, and it's sort of cute but not really my style. I want that blue and brown silk zolo--I'd track down the link if I wasn't NAK.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#24 of 38 Old 01-26-2008, 06:20 PM

nak

I'm using the Moby all the time. DH also wears her in his New Native. Haven't tried my ring sling yet. Am currently plotting a mei tai purchase.

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

#25 of 38 Old 01-26-2008, 06:24 PM

I'm loving my BH for around the house, I've also been using my pouch a little more.

Moby is getting the love during shopping trips and other outings when I know he'll sleep, otherwise he likes to check things out much more and can do that better in the pouch or BH.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#26 of 38 Old 01-26-2008, 09:34 PM

Calvin loves the adjustable fleece pouch, we've nicknamed it the "red friend" (it's red ). He wants to be in it to fall asleep, it works like a charm!
#27 of 38 Old 01-26-2008, 10:16 PM

I have a Moby and a sling. DS hates the sling, I only accomplished putting him in there once when he was fast asleep. He has screamed bloody murder every other time I've tried to put him in there-I think once he has better head control he will like some of the other carries.

DS has outgrown the newborn hug hold with the Moby-I need to get brave and try other holds-but I'm a big chicken. I have only worn him around the house as it's so cold that I prefer to keep him in his car seat bundled up. He also is so fussy when he wakes up-and getting him out of the seat wakes him up-so I let him sleep in the carseat-however I haven't done too many errands yet-I've been pretty much a recluse lately-however I want to try wearing him out shopping and around. I think he would enjoy some of the facing out holds-however he just doesn't have the head control yet. He almost does-but he still does the head banging thing once in a while.

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.
#28 of 38 Old 01-27-2008, 01:51 AM

Oh my gosh! I am in BWing heaven!!!! I got a podaegi in the mail yesterday. I tried it with dd1 on my back yesterday just super quick after I took it out. I was fairly impressed. Tonight I tried Reese on my back and it didn't work very well- no headrest like on the BH and her head control is good but not quite good enough. Well I decided to try it with her in the front carry with straps.

I. Am. In. Love.

Easy to nurse in (discreetly, no less since the blanket wrapping around solves the side-view problem I have with the BH) and the most comfortable carrier I've tried thus far. I got mine off of DS and the mama made it herself. It's a gold leaf tapestry and denim strap that is so nicely padded. I am going to have DH take pics tomorrow and get them up here!
#29 of 38 Old 01-27-2008, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expectantmami View Post
DS has outgrown the newborn hug hold with the Moby-I need to get brave and try other holds-but I'm a big chicken.
me too - try regular hug! it's so easy and a good "gateway hold" to help you get comfy w/the facing out stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGlimmeringHope View Post
Oh my gosh! I am in BWing heaven!!!! I got a podaegi in the mail yesterday.
is this the chunei??

i REALLY need something i can nurse easily in. if i had something i could nurse in where i could NIP hands-free, it would be SO great and make me much more likely to go out and do the things i want to do. i feel like the ergo will be great for that once we don't need the infant insert (i can't nurse w/that thing), and the moby is a bit too much of a hassle for nursing for my tastes. i want something easy!

#30 of 38 Old 01-27-2008, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeMuffin View Post
is this the chunei??

i REALLY need something i can nurse easily in. if i had something i could nurse in where i could NIP hands-free, it would be SO great and make me much more likely to go out and do the things i want to do. i feel like the ergo will be great for that once we don't need the infant insert (i can't nurse w/that thing), and the moby is a bit too much of a hassle for nursing for my tastes. i want something easy!
It's what the chunei is based off of. http://www.ellaroo.com/podaegi.php

I have a wide blanket one, which you need with a little bitty. I have her in the front hold (shown in the instructions)and can nurse her with her sitting up with her legs froggied. I stuck my hand down the top of the carrier to get the boob out of the shirt and then help her get latched on. But you can pull the blanket up a bit higher while you're doing that and she nurses to keep things more discreet. When she's done, pull your shirt back up over the boob and pull the blanket back down a bit if you need to.

I'll try to get pictures of her nursing in it and post them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page