side lying nursing... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-01-2008, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...makes maya a total gasbag. she gets really uncomfortable. so we'll both be lying in bed and sleep-nursing, and all's great except for the crick in my neck,
and then she wakes up and cries and needs to be burped for all this extra time and is then wide awake.

how do you guys avoid that?? seriously, everyone raves about side lying nursing like it's god's gift to BFing moms, and i wouldn't mind having that kind of luck!

also, it is now 10:11 pm, and let it be known that in the past 8 hours my child has slept for less than 5 minutes, and shows no signs of going to sleep now. even on the boob, she is FIGHTING to stay awake. PARTY AT MY HOUSE!

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-01-2008, 06:06 AM

It's nice sometimes, but Reese is extra gassy overnight...which is why I'm up right now (when I want to start sleeping at night I get a baby who can't get comfortable at night! . Sometimes if I do Gripe Water before bed it helps. But I can guarantee no matter how I nurse her between 2 and 3 and then around 5 she'll be awake with painful gas and monster truck sounding farts. It makes me and at the same time. During the day I nurse with her upright during (in the pod) or keep her upright afterward. But at night it's hard. Will she burp laying tummy-to-tummy on your chest? I have to cover myself with a receiving blanket, but sometimes that works for us...
#3 of 7 Old 02-01-2008, 07:42 AM

Middle of the night gasser here.

Side lying nursing is a joke with my ridiculous size K breasts and baby with reflux. Right now we are doing our upright for 30 after eating, but it is 4:45 and I am sleepy!
#4 of 7 Old 02-01-2008, 12:10 PM

Same problem here. We are sitting up in bed for nighttime feedings right now. We'll revisit sidelying (which I did less gassfully with both the other two) when he's a little older and hopefully can handle gas better.

A gassy sleepless baby is not fun at 4 a.m.

Christa
#5 of 7 Old 02-01-2008, 12:59 PM

I've got a burper too. Lately we've been sitting up to latch, then I lay back on a stack of pillows with him draped across my tummy still sucking. We both fall asleep that way and he seems less gassy overall. Of course, last night we were up twice for 1/2 hour each trying to get a burp out, so it doesn't work all the time I guess.

lover of K partners.gif mom to S superhero.gifb.12/07  and C joy.gifb.6/11

#6 of 7 Old 02-02-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGlimmeringHope View Post
But I can guarantee no matter how I nurse her between 2 and 3 and then around 5 she'll be awake with painful gas and monster truck sounding farts. It makes me and at the same time.
That's Olivia- we can side-lying nurse overnight but right around 5:00 she wakes up gassy and poopy, and then we're up for a good 30-45 minutes. Sometimes she'll let me go back to sleep from 6-7, if I've been a really good mommy ... <sigh>

To me it's worth it, tho, because if I nurse sitting up and then try to burp her, I deal with a lot more awake time, as it often takes 20 minutes or so to get a burp out of her, and she nurses 2-3 times before 5 a.m. And sometimes she gets pissy in the wee small hours and will keep me up from like 2-4. I'll take a 5:00 wakeup over that anyday!
#7 of 7 Old 02-04-2008, 12:03 AM

We have been practising side nursing for a week and it is finally paying off! DP awoke in the middle of the night to find Elah nursing and me completely asleep.

Are your LOs sleeping directly on the bed? Mine sleeps in the crook of my arm, so her head is always elevated. I think this helps with gassiness.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page