why doesn't my child sleep? x-post. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-03-2008, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
seriously.

she's not cranky. so i can't really complain. but she fights sleep so hard. she'll fight sleep while sucking, even. the only time i can really get her to fall asleep is if i'm bouncing her on the yoga ball or if she's being worn in the moby wrap. she even fights sleep in the car seat. once she falls asleep at night she'll sleep for 2 stretches of 4-7 hours, which is GREAT, but it takes FOREVER to get there.

the other day she was awake from 3 pm till 11 pm. WHAT IS GOING ON HERE PEOPLE??? why is this child so anti-sleep? i've tried not letting her nap as much during the day, but as i said, she was awake from 3 to 11 the other day and still fought sleep super hard. i've tried letting her nap whenever she wants during the day because i've heard that better rest during the day = better rest at night. i make everything bright and sunshiney and happy during the day, and dark and quiet and sleepy at night. but nothing seems to make a difference! even now, she's exhausted, and has been awake for about 5 hours straight. she nearly fell asleep on the boob twice, and forced her eyes open, and will hardly let herself blink so she can stay awake.

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 02-03-2008, 04:29 AM

Yup. We're there too, though she's getting a lot better at falling asleep at night. We've been able to go to bed by 10:30 or 11-ish all week, instead of 12 or 1. It amazes me how long she's able to stay awake.

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#3 of 9 Old 02-03-2008, 02:21 PM

Another sleep fighter, except he does it by crying hysterically when he finally starts to fall asleep.

I don't get babies this small fighting sleep so hard but I feel better knowing it happens to other people.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#4 of 9 Old 02-03-2008, 04:40 PM

mine only sleeps 7 hours total in a 24 hour period. i am so sleep deprived that i could be insane now

Heather, ds Dante (12.28.07) and due in April.
#5 of 9 Old 02-03-2008, 06:34 PM

OK here is what works for us. And yes it is true that sleep begets sleeps so the better they sleep during the day the b etter they sleep at night, too.

- Happiest Baby On The Block, use the 5 techiniques in there. The main one that works for us is the SHHHHH SHHHH SHHHHing and then the movement with the head also. I also hold her hands since she hates the swaddle and sometimes use a pacifier just to get her to doze off then I take it out.

- Bouncing, you can also use the bed to sit and bounce on, while patting her back, tummy to tummy.

- White noise. The vacuum REALLY works for us. Then we have a humidifier and a sound machine that we leave on all the time while she sleeps. The vacuum just helps get her to sleep. But now that I have an MP3 of that noise we are using it more often to drown out 2 year old noise while she is sleeping in our room and I'm playing with him in the living room. I found a website yesterday that has free white noise MP3's if anyone wants it.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#6 of 9 Old 02-04-2008, 01:04 PM

ryan stays awake for long stretches too. :/ but she makes up for it at night by sleeping most of the time from 11pm to 8am. at night she'll eat and go straight back to sleep, but during the day after eating she usually wakes up again within a minute of passing out. oh well. as long as she sleeps at night i can deal!

married to my best friend, stillheart.gif britt, since 8.12.2004 ...homeschooling mama to my girls: avi born 8.3.05, my ryan leanor 1.5.08, azia 9.2.09, and #4 a BOY! due in november 2011.  homebirth.jpg

#7 of 9 Old 02-04-2008, 08:35 PM

Last night, she didn't go to sleep until 1:30. We had to get up at 4:50.:yawning:

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#8 of 9 Old 02-04-2008, 08:37 PM

Mine napped for 5 hours yesterday, and today-nothin. NO nap. Like 15 min on my boob.

I think all babies are different.

I think she is having a growth spurt though because she wont let me put her down and stop musring. My boobs are worked. My poor other kids are like "Uh, play with us!!! remember us??"
#9 of 9 Old 02-04-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wife&mommy View Post
OK here is what works for us. And yes it is true that sleep begets sleeps so the better they sleep during the day the b etter they sleep at night, too.

- Happiest Baby On The Block, use the 5 techiniques in there. The main one that works for us is the SHHHHH SHHHH SHHHHing and then the movement with the head also. I also hold her hands since she hates the swaddle and sometimes use a pacifier just to get her to doze off then I take it out.

- Bouncing, you can also use the bed to sit and bounce on, while patting her back, tummy to tummy.

- White noise. The vacuum REALLY works for us. Then we have a humidifier and a sound machine that we leave on all the time while she sleeps. The vacuum just helps get her to sleep. But now that I have an MP3 of that noise we are using it more often to drown out 2 year old noise while she is sleeping in our room and I'm playing with him in the living room. I found a website yesterday that has free white noise MP3's if anyone wants it.

we use the bathroom fan for white noise. If I dont, the other kids screaming wakes my baby up!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page