What do you do about vaccinations?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 02-04-2008, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
none till 2.. then i'll come up with a new argument then...
#32 of 43 Old 02-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Banned

We do most vaccines, some of them delayed. Personally I am not comfortable with my baby being left suceptible to things like Hib and pertussis, but I support a mother making the choice she feels is best for her children.
#33 of 43 Old 02-04-2008, 08:41 PM

selective an delayed

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#34 of 43 Old 02-05-2008, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We do not vax at all.

My kids were until I found out they can NOT actually call DCFS on you and take your kids away. Then my friend's ~6mo died of SIDS 2 days after her shots. Dh used to work in pharma, so he fully supports not vaccinating. Almost noone he worked with did (those with kids did not vax, the rest he didn't know other than his boss who also did not vax)

And as far as pertussis goes, the time when they are most vulnerable they aren't really protected by the shots anyways. Look at the schedule. That seems quite useless. We had pertussis last year.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#35 of 43 Old 02-05-2008, 09:45 PM

None for us, either.
#36 of 43 Old 02-06-2008, 01:43 AM

still undecided here also with brain exploding thinking about it. probably going to wait until at least 6 months and then selectively...we'll see when the time comes.

mmemuffin...pming you for the name of that ped!
#37 of 43 Old 02-07-2008, 04:25 AM

You know, DH and I have been talking the vaccination thing over and over lately. We'd said we'd reconsider when A-L was 2. And we've been doing that the past seven months. Everytime we decide "okay, we'll do these two vaccines" (DTaP and Hib) we start to do more research on them, we start to think maybe we shouldn't yet again. And our research is really biased TOWARDS vaccines- we use the package inserts from the vaccines themselves, the webmd.com and cdc websites, etc.

And, this is totally non-scientific and anecdotal (sp?), but....Anna-Lee is absolutely the healthiest child I know. Sure, she's been sick (I'm convinced that the 8 week bad cough she had from Oct-Dec 06 was pertussis. I was told it couldn't be because she never turned blue/threw up from coughing and it was just a cold, but later found out that not all children, especially BF ones, get it so bad that they do this.). But she's never had an ear infection, and 9 times out of 10 she's back to normal in a day or two.

Is she this way because of her non-vaxed status? Or would she be this healthy as a fully vaxed child? I don't know. But I do know I don't want to do anything to mess with her obviously strong immune system (and she's around school age kids pretty much everyday and goes to the play area at the local mall about once a week, so it's not isolation keeping her healthy!). And for me, right now, that means not vaccinating. Plus I've recently read studies about a causal link between the Hib vax and diabetes, and since it runs on both sides of my family...it's not something I want to risk.
#38 of 43 Old 02-07-2008, 01:26 PM

Delaying til 2 (I think??) and then we'll decide. I'm doing my research and am just about ready to throw up my hands in desperation.
I think my burning question right now is - are there any vax's that CANNOT be given if we don't give them w/in a certain time period? Anyone have a quick answer on that?

Mama to DS (12/11/07) and partner to DH (08/08). Expecting #2 late November 2011!
#39 of 43 Old 02-07-2008, 02:25 PM

I believe the rotavirus vaccine can only be given in the first 32 weeks, but I dont think it is a requred one...yet.
#40 of 43 Old 02-07-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionnakay View Post
Delaying til 2 (I think??) and then we'll decide. I'm doing my research and am just about ready to throw up my hands in desperation.
I think my burning question right now is - are there any vax's that CANNOT be given if we don't give them w/in a certain time period? Anyone have a quick answer on that?
I know what you mean. I have been researching for so long and I still feel like an idiot who knows NOTHING.

I dont have an answer to your question. Sorry.
#41 of 43 Old 02-07-2008, 02:32 PM

-dionnakay

i dont think there is any that CANT be given after a certain point. i know they used to say dtap is not for use in children over 7, but now they have that adult version; tdap. strange.
also, i dont think they give HIB or prevnar after a year. its funny, most people i know who dont really want to vaccinate but think you HAVE to, because of school, still give hib and prevnar, which arent required for school entry.

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
#42 of 43 Old 02-07-2008, 05:16 PM

No vaccines for us either..

~Stephanie )O(

DS- 07/01 & DD- 09/05 & DD- 12/07 & DS- 10/13

#43 of 43 Old 02-08-2008, 12:28 PM

fyi - I've since heard that rotavirus can't be given after 12 wks. We still aren't doing that one.

Mama to DS (12/11/07) and partner to DH (08/08). Expecting #2 late November 2011!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page