What do you do about vaccinations?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2008, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you guys vaccinating? Delaying? Selecting?

DD has her 2 months appointment on 21st and I cannot decide what to do about the vaccination :

Sophie, wife to DH, AP mama to DD1 (12/07) and DD2 (04/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Banned

we dont vaccinate at all.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:26 PM

i have 2 vax damaged boys. we will never vaccinate ourselves or our children ever again.

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
Old 02-03-2008, 10:31 PM

We don't vax here.

CPST
Old 02-03-2008, 10:36 PM

i've decided not to decide just yet. definitely want to delay till at least 2, if we do anything at all. so i've got 2 years to decide. i'm wavering between non-vaxing and del/sel.

as the ladies in the vax forum said to me - you can always choose to do a vax later, but you can't undo it once you've done it if you change your mind. so if you aren't sure about the 2 month vaccines, you can skip 'em, research more, and do 'em if your research leads you to that.

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
Old 02-03-2008, 10:51 PM

none for us
Old 02-04-2008, 12:15 AM

None so far for either DD.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:16 AM

We delay. We'll start vaccinations sometime after 9 months of age, and spread them out so they only receive one at a time. But we do them all... even if there are some childhood vaccinations that our children won't get until they're teenagers.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:24 AM

we're doing a delayed schedule too.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:38 AM

Delaying til two & selectively vaxing then.

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
Old 02-04-2008, 02:20 AM

Thank you for posting this! This topic dominates my world right now. I am really struggling with this issue.
For the record- I vaccinated my 3 older kids with no question- thankfully they have had no adverse reactions- but I really wish I had understood that I had an option not to.
I have been doing TONS of research- but I still don't have an answer I feel totally comfortable with yet. I am definitely leaning towards no vax- or at least delayed, but i am still unsure.
I have 2 huge files of info. for both sides...my biggest question is- how do you know who is telling the truth? Do I really have to track down the authors of each article and research their credentials- or what? I have people that I love and trust telling me opposite things. I am horrible confused.
My gut says no vax- but then sometimes I'm not so sure.
I feel like so far there seems to be a lot more credibility to the non-vaxing side- but I wish the issue was clearer to me!
For those of you who have already decided- how did you know for sure that the info you based your decision on was the truth? How deep did you dig? I don't want to base my decision on someone else opinion- I want real, un-disputable facts- how do you seperate those from the opinions? Where do you look?
I have read the vax forums a lot over here- they are awesome and have taught me a lot- and like I said, I am leaning towards no vaxing- but I still want/need to know why I should be convinced that the pro side is completely full of crap. Does anyone know what I mean? I'm willing to believe they are- but not based on opinion only. I'm still trying to find more basic facts to help me with my decision. And quite frankly- both sides seem to have facts to back up their arguments. How in the world do I know whose facts are true- and whose are false? I have read so much my head hurts- and I am frustrated!
I want to do the right thing!
sorry this was so long! back to my research...
Old 02-04-2008, 02:52 AM

serenity, i have/had the same issue. every time i research vaccines my mind literally wants to blow up. it's like the most @$$-kicking research paper one could write, because there's so much info, so much is contradictory, and since it has to do with your child's health it's EXTREMELY important to be comfortable with your decision.

honestly, i just stopped thinking about it for now. not gonna do it till she's 2, if at all. and i'm going to open myself to learning a little about it here and there. trying to make the decision NOW about non-vaxing, or what my del/sel schedule would be, is way too intense for me. so i'm giving myself time. i'm hoping to learn about it and have a definite plan of action going by the time she's 1, but if not i'll just go till 2.

the only thing that might change things is if we go to india (where a lot of my extended family live) before she's 2, but i'll cross that bridge when i come to it.

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
Old 02-04-2008, 03:02 AM

None for us.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesymama View Post
I have been doing TONS of research- but I still don't have an answer I feel totally comfortable with yet. I am definitely leaning towards no vax- or at least delayed, but i am still unsure.
I have 2 huge files of info. for both sides...my biggest question is- how do you know who is telling the truth? Do I really have to track down the authors of each article and research their credentials- or what? I have people that I love and trust telling me opposite things. I am horrible confused.
My gut says no vax- but then sometimes I'm not so sure.
I feel like so far there seems to be a lot more credibility to the non-vaxing side- but I wish the issue was clearer to me!
For those of you who have already decided- how did you know for sure that the info you based your decision on was the truth? How deep did you dig? I don't want to base my decision on someone else opinion- I want real, un-disputable facts- how do you seperate those from the opinions? Where do you look?
I have read the vax forums a lot over here- they are awesome and have taught me a lot- and like I said, I am leaning towards no vaxing- but I still want/need to know why I should be convinced that the pro side is completely full of crap. Does anyone know what I mean? I'm willing to believe they are- but not based on opinion only. I'm still trying to find more basic facts to help me with my decision. And quite frankly- both sides seem to have facts to back up their arguments. How in the world do I know whose facts are true- and whose are false? I have read so much my head hurts- and I am frustrated!
I want to do the right thing!
sorry this was so long! back to my research...
Oh my, I know exactly what you mean!!!! Every word. I am exactly in the same boat (Except that it is my first baby )

Old 02-04-2008, 04:24 AM

I'm still struggling with this. Anna-Lee has had no vaccinations. I've been debating getting her the DT (no pertussis...it's really only serious in the first year, which she is of course out of) and Hib. I'm still unsure. I look at the numbers of instances in the area, and they are low. But is that because of the vaccines? I don't doubt that vaccinations can be effective...I just doubt that the risks of injecting all the chemicals in them into our bloodstream is always better than the disease they mean to prevent. But, would I be quick enough to catch something like Hib if she were to get it? Would I recognize it as something she needed to be seen for, or would I hold off, chalking it up to just a virus and potentially hurt my child? Then again, I don't want to be the mom taking her kid to the doctor for every little thing because I'm scared. What about reactions? As much as I would hate myself if she got a vaccine preventable disease, I think I would hate myself more if she had a reaction to the vaccines themselves. And everytime I decide to take her in to get a vaccine I hesitate and wind up not going in. Is it just that I'm scared to make the wrong decision, my mama intuition telling me not to do it, or am I just afraid to hear dd1 cry (I admit, I've said if I do vaccinate her I want my mom to take her for this very reason.)?

It confuses me and I've done research. I started by actually researching the diseases we vaccinate against at webmd.com. It's helped me decide which ones I'm actually scared of. And Hib tops that list, honestly. It's the one vaccine I find that I'm definitely torn on. And moreso as Anna-Lee is around school age kids more and all.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:59 AM

I was going to reply, but MmeMuffin said everything I would have said, execpt I wouldnt have said the part about India, because we arent going there! Anyway, I am just not going to rush it, no reason to. I can always change my mind and vax him, but that cant be said for the other way around.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:34 AM

I just posted my quandry in the vax forum and I got some useful info there. my mother and my daughter are allergic to 2 different vaxxes, so I have family history not to vax Alex. I think it is best to wait right now, and perhaps never vax. What a cr@ppy place to be in, especially with ALL the freakin' pressure to vax.

Karin, Wife to Dear Sweet English Husband~Soon to be Legally American. Mom to Zach~13, Lily~9, Alex~2, and Izzy or Zeke arriving July 2010! Living a life full of LOVE!
Old 02-04-2008, 11:47 AM

`

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

Old 02-04-2008, 12:36 PM

We don't vaccinate. When I had my first child I said I would wait two years to research and decide. When that time came I was more than convinced that she shouldn't be vaccinated at all. It definitely helped me to talk to people I know who don't vaccinate.

Emily Wife to Luke and Mama to: Violet 9-20-05 Fletcher 12-20-07 : and Owen 7-03-09
Old 02-04-2008, 12:48 PM

`

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

Old 02-04-2008, 01:20 PM

We are waiting until 2. And not doing well baby visits. DD was fully vaxed on schedule. DS had regulr vaxes at 2 nand 4 months, then not until 9 months b/c of my concerns and then we waited until he was 2. I didn't think out my plan well enough for his 2 year visit and ended up allowing them to complete his vaxing. I wish I had thought about it more and spaced them out or was more selective or something.

Thinking about it all just makes my head spin. :

Christa
Old 02-04-2008, 03:10 PM

We're waiting until at least a year...other than that I'm in the same brain-exploding boat as the rest of you.

I've already ruled out a whole lot of vaxes as just not happening but I'm still trying to hash out a schedule for the rest. This is where I really wish I could find an open-minded pedi to discuss the details with, but that's never going to happen.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 02-04-2008, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I don't want to at all - I want the choice to be left to ds when he's old enough, but DH isn't sure about it. He needs to do some more research of his own. A few people have asked and for now I just say we're waiting for at least a year because he's fine doing that.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
Old 02-04-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday13th View Post
This is where I really wish I could find an open-minded pedi to discuss the details with, but that's never going to happen.
want my FP's name? she's about 5 minutes away from the midwives' office. during my interview w/her, i said that i was not sure what i wanted to do about vaxes, but i wanted a doc who would be open-minded. she told me that it's totally up to me - she supports a del/sel schedule for sure and is happy when parents learn about this kind of stuff. she said she has patients who vax according to CDC, do a delayed and/or selective schedule, and who don't vax at all. she said that while she doesn't necessarily encourage non-vaxing, she feels it's completely up to the parent. she also told me that she wanted me to know that her non-vaxed patients are healthy and doing great, in case i go that route.

eta: actually i guess i should just PM you. =)

Old 02-04-2008, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We aren't doing any.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
Old 02-04-2008, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeMuffin View Post
want my FP's name? she's about 5 minutes away from the midwives' office. during my interview w/her, i said that i was not sure what i wanted to do about vaxes, but i wanted a doc who would be open-minded. she told me that it's totally up to me - she supports a del/sel schedule for sure and is happy when parents learn about this kind of stuff. she said she has patients who vax according to CDC, do a delayed and/or selective schedule, and who don't vax at all. she said that while she doesn't necessarily encourage non-vaxing, she feels it's completely up to the parent. she also told me that she wanted me to know that her non-vaxed patients are healthy and doing great, in case i go that route.
I envy you that you have a ped that is like that. I just went to my ped today and got a whole lecture on how dangerous it is to not vaccinate an infant

Old 02-04-2008, 06:17 PM

i found her on my tribal area, and i'm so thankful. the pedi i was thinking about going with was "okay" with a parent's "irresponsible" decision not to vax, but there was so much pressure and i was really hoping i'd find someone better. i love this doc! you might find more vax-friendly doc info on your tribal area...

Old 02-04-2008, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeMuffin View Post
the pedi i was thinking about going with was "okay" with a parent's "irresponsible" decision not to vax, but there was so much pressure and i was really hoping i'd find someone better.
This was totally my family doc. Today we had our first appt with a new doc we found on the tribal area here and they are much better about us not doing vaxes.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
Old 02-04-2008, 06:41 PM

I dont vaccinate.

I would say "When in doubt, skip it."

You can always go back and do it if you decide to.

You cannot undo a vax. IMO, It only takes one shot to cause an injury. (And its not always the "MMR")
Old 02-04-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuaghua View Post
We don't vaccinate. When I had my first child I said I would wait two years to research and decide. When that time came I was more than convinced that she shouldn't be vaccinated at all. It definitely helped me to talk to people I know who don't vaccinate.
:

No vaxing here

User Tag List