Mothering Forum banner

Up since 4! UPDATE in post #8!

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  matey 
#1 ·
Every time i lay hom down he starts gurgking and choking, and wakes himself back up! Damn this reflux! I am tired and I have a head ache. I want to sleep.

#2 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by matey View Post
Every time i lay hom down he starts gurgking and choking, and wakes himself back up! Damn this reflux! I am tired and I have a head ache. I want to sleep.
Both of my girls were/are the exact same way. Sleep when he sleeps. I can't because I have a toddler that gets me up between 6:30 and 7am every morning
Have you tried elevating him? It does seem to help but good luck because neither one of my girls will sleep elevated. It seems to wake them up even more. Also try and get as many burps out of him as you can. Some nights I am so tired I just roll over nurse DD and fall back asleep and forget or am too tired to burp her and I think that makes the gurgling and choking worse. I know it's frustrating but hang in there it will get better

#3 ·
Try elevating him and swaddling. What we have done is to swaddle DS really tightly and then elevate his head on a Boppy-it works sometimes. However it does say on the Boppy not to use for sleeping-however since our LO can't roll over yet we do it. We also either sleep with him/stay in the general vicinity or watch him on the baby monitor in case he does choke. I have also propped myself up with pillows, wrapped baby up in the Moby using the hug hold and slept with the baby. He need to stay upright to get that nasty reflux down.

#4 ·
We swaddle and he sleeps on the Boppy right next to me. Most of the time he does ok, but last night it was just acting up more I guess. He ended up falling asleep a little after 7, but woke at 8:30. And he gave me big smiles when he woke. Hopefully tonight will go better.
:

#8 ·
We git in reflux medication yesterday. I have done everything i can, so this was the next step. Yesterday he was able to sleep better during his naps, spit up way less, and ate more (he had been eating less and appeared to be in pain while nursing).

Also last night I woke up a number of times because of how quiet he was. i have listened to this poor little sputter and choke for two months, and last night he slept peacefully. It will be hard to get used to the silence.

I know it isnt ideal to be on meds, but since it was starting to affect his food intake (he hasn't gained much in the past few week
) it was time to try it. I told DH that now that it is easier for him to eat and he can hold it down he might become a real fatty!

He is now nearly 8 weeks old and 8 pounds 13 ounces.

#12 ·
i use the boppy every night. I dont even use it for breast feeding anymore, it is just his pillow.

I dont know if the gurgles and chokes are always reflux. He also does a lot of active swallowing after he eats which I have been told (by a natural type first, then the dr.) that he does that because he is trying to continously swallow the stuff that is coming up. And sometimes at night spit up would fly out of his mouth in the middle of sleep and he shakes his head, grimaces, and screams out. Not for the last 2 nights though. And, he has slowed on weight gain because he doesnt eat as much beacause it hurts. Sorry if I am repeating info, i didnt check.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.