Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   December 2007 (http://www.mothering.com/forum/402-december-2007/)
-   -   @#$%! hospital....again (http://www.mothering.com/forum/402-december-2007/842186-hospital-again.html)

mom2liv 02-05-2008 12:57 PM

Oh, so exhausted. Just got home from the hospital Sunday, and I'm still trying to catch up on sleep, but have been dying to check in and get caught up. I look like I've been on about a month-long drinking binge (and probably feel like it!). Anyway, poor little dd#2 was admitted Wednesday for breathing problems from RSV, so I've lived on a fold-out chair in her hospital room for the better part of a week. We've all been sick for weeks (dd#1 seemed to bring something home after my mom had her for a few days and they made the rounds to lots of popular toddler / preschooler play areas). I had tried and tried to keep LO from getting it, but to no avail. So, at only a little over 5 weeks old, she was admitted straight from a ped visit (he wouldn't even let me go pick up dh--said I had to take her immediately to hospital with no stops. yeah, way to scare the crap out of mommy) with bronchiolitis / RSV. She was in a cool mist oxygen tent and got breathing treatments every 6 hours.

Any idea how tough it is to keep a baby who is used to being worn and carried, co-sleeping, etc, happy laying in a cold oxygen tent by herself? Heartbreaking for mom.

What's worse, this is the 3rd time she's been in a hospital in her short life! I couldn't find anyone to do a home birth and there are no freestanding birth centers around here, so I had to go into hospital for the birth. Then, we had to stay an extra day past when I wanted to be released (I wanted an early release) at the time of birth due to baby's elevated biliruben levels. We had a blood incompatability that was further complicated by a big cephaolohemotoma on baby, thus the high bili. Anyway, we then went home with a bili blanket only to have her numbers keep rising and they readmitted her 48 hours later. The worst part of both of those hospital stays was that she had to lay in the bili bed and I could only hold her when feeding her. (So we nursed a lot!)

And now we have just been back for the RSV. I have never seen the inside of a hospital so much in my life, and I really hope not to again! Three cheers, though, for my super nurser. I was able to convince them not to do an IV and we avoided it the whole stay due to her great determined nursing even when she had to keep coming off between sucks to catch her breath. Yay baby!

(Note here: I am SOOOOO grateful that she is a healthy, full-term baby, and things could be so much worse.)

Okay, got that off my chest. So the good news is, we're home. Now to hit the Internet to no doubt find confirmation for my bad feelings about the chemicals I'm pumping into my daughter's lungs with this nebulizer. Oh, so don't like this.

wife&mommy 02-05-2008 01:25 PM

glad you all are home, stay well!

kirk_heidi 02-05-2008 01:41 PM

I am glad she is better. get some rest.

cravenab00 02-05-2008 02:11 PM

i hope this is your last hospital stay!

i know how awful that is. DS#2 had RSV when he was just 10 weeks old. it was so scary.

glad to hear you are home, hope everyone continues to get better!

crsta33 02-05-2008 02:40 PM

Glad she's better...take care.

Christa

ivymae 02-05-2008 02:56 PM

I am glad she is home and feeling better - super nurser for sure. When my LO had a stuffed nose she would just lay back and open her mouth, like "Just spray it in here please!"

YummyYumYumMama 02-05-2008 03:00 PM

sounds like you & the baby are such troopers!

wholewheatmama 02-05-2008 03:24 PM

Poor baby! And poor mommy too! I'm sorry you had to go through all of that, but I'm glad she's better and you're home again. I hope things can get back to normal quickly!

bumblebeej 02-05-2008 06:46 PM

kittywitty 02-05-2008 06:49 PM

I'm glad baby is getting better.