If you don't vax what about - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 02-06-2008, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well baby visits. DD#1 was vaxed and went to all well baby visits on the 2,4,6 mth schedule. If I am delaying vaxing, then does dd#2 need to go and when. I am really dreading having the delaying discussion with my family doc.

Leslie, mama to Paige 8, Zara 3 and Audrey, Sophia & Nina June 7/11 @32.6
angel1.gifOct/01angel1.gif July/10angel1.gif Sept/10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 02-06-2008, 01:30 PM

My midwife suggested that WBV were really only for vaxing anyway. She recommended foregoing them completely. Take baby to doc if sick (they shouldn't be vaxed if ill anyway) and don't worry about WBV.

Some famildocs don't do vaxes anyway...they would send you to the health dept to get them.

Christa
#3 of 30 Old 02-06-2008, 01:55 PM

I go in every once in a while to secure a continuation of care from my ped. Also, just to have their health on record - Just.In.Case.

I have a great pedi though, and though the office visit is a drag, I always feel respected.
#4 of 30 Old 02-06-2008, 02:01 PM

see below
#5 of 30 Old 02-06-2008, 02:05 PM

I went to one yesterday and I must say, I dont know what the point was. I can go to the WIC center and check weight. And, they told me that if I didnt get DS vaxed by the time he was 6 months, they refuse to see him. This seems to be the pattern around here. There was one nurse practitionor who would see the non-vaxed and she moved, so I dont know what we will do. I would like to have a ped just in case I ever need one, but I dont even think anyone will see my DS without being vaxed.
#6 of 30 Old 02-06-2008, 03:41 PM

i'm planning to go. i love my FP. kid germs don't coat the office (the patients almost entirely adults - and i wear her in the moby in the waiting room), there's no pressure to vax, i like checking her weight gain and length, and so far i've had questions each time and i have questions for the 2 month appt too. i can understand why people don't go, of course, but it's not hard for me to get there, and i only get good things out of it, so i don't see why not, for now.

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
#7 of 30 Old 02-06-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katfka View Post
I go in every once in a while to secure a continuation of care from my ped. Also, just to have their health on record - Just.In.Case.
ditto

Lynn, single lesbian mama to All Mighty Iris 12/10/07
#8 of 30 Old 02-06-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katfka View Post
ditto as well

we have such an alternative lifestyle... have heard of people losing their kids from the food they eat even... also a sil works for cps. altho she's been the nicest of dh's sh&**y relatives i still don't trust her

the ped we went to said " i see you had a homebirth w/ ________(insert midwife)" then she let out a big sigh and didn't even bring anything up like vax

Heather, ds Dante (12.28.07) and due in April.
#9 of 30 Old 02-06-2008, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
We just had our first visit with a vax-free-friendly ped and even as a new patient visit it was pretty pointless. They only want to see us again if he is sick. I can keep track of his length, weight, and milestones without the hassle of a doctor's visit.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#10 of 30 Old 02-06-2008, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My doc is very friendly to us not vaxing. She said she'd like to see her at 2 mos, and I might take her because we seem to be having food allergy issues, but otherwise I would wait until 6 mos just so I can see how big she has gotten! Plus she's a cool doc, so it's nice to just go talk to her.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#11 of 30 Old 02-06-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Plus she's a cool doc, so it's nice to just go talk to her.
: i'm glad you said that, because that's a huge part of why i go.

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
#12 of 30 Old 02-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Banned

we go once a year for a physical.
#13 of 30 Old 02-07-2008, 02:23 AM

I cannot find a doctor. I went down a list calling today and no one wants to deal with us. I would like to at least have a dr.
#14 of 30 Old 02-07-2008, 02:34 AM

I started vaxing DS1 but stopped at 6 months and he hasn't been to the doc since.... so over a year. I have no cause for concern so I don't see the point in going.

SAM, momma to 3 beautiful babies: Tristan (5), Gabriel (4) , & Brighton (2)

#15 of 30 Old 02-07-2008, 05:09 AM

I think I'm switching the girls. I love love love my doctor right now, but he is part of a large family practice in a large teaching hospital. I can never get them in to see him when they're sick (well, Anna-Lee's the only one who's been sick, but ykwim), and I have to schedule appts with him months in advance. I found a smaller peds clinic that's in the town where we are more often. When we asked if they accepted patients who didn't vaccinate, the lady was confused. I explained that some doctor's won't see unvaxed kids. She replied with "no- we have parents who don't do any vaccines, some who do some but not all, and some who do them all. that's something to talk to the doctor about but it is ultimately your decision as the parent" (hallelujah- someone finally got that! ) So when we have our first 'get-to-know-you' visit we'll figure out how often he wants to see them then.
#16 of 30 Old 02-07-2008, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matey View Post
I cannot find a doctor. I went down a list calling today and no one wants to deal with us. I would like to at least have a dr.
I had that problem awhile back. Do you say about not vaxing straight off? I would wait until you are in there with the doc and claim religion and say you respect his opinion, but you're not budging and see if they'll keep you.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#17 of 30 Old 02-07-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
I had that problem awhile back. Do you say about not vaxing straight off? I would wait until you are in there with the doc and claim religion and say you respect his opinion, but you're not budging and see if they'll keep you.
Both times at the offices, the doctors said "today we are going to do the __________ vaccine" and i say, "I am going to hold off on that today" and then they tell me how they will only see him for a couple visits without being vaccinated. At the dr. on monday you actually sign a form that says you understand the dr.s policy on vaccines and you will have your child vaccinated. Do you think I could get around that using the religious exemption?

When I called the other day I said it flat out to see if anyone would consider it.
#18 of 30 Old 02-07-2008, 04:10 PM

I stopped all WBV after ds's last vax at 4mo. Didnt see a need since I was able to weigh & measure him at home. Now both kids only go when they are sick and dd goes when a school physical is required.

Unfortunatly Dr's do not have to accept you even with a religious exemption :

If they have that policy then I wouldnt want them to be my dr anyway since they are so closed minded.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#19 of 30 Old 02-07-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post

If they have that policy then I wouldnt want them to be my dr anyway since they are so closed minded.
That tends to be the mind set of all the dr.s around here.
#20 of 30 Old 02-07-2008, 04:59 PM

It really sucks when you run across this sort of thing

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#21 of 30 Old 02-07-2008, 09:40 PM

I decided to not go to well baby visits. (I'll trust my instints)

I took dd at 2 days, and also again at 2 weeks. As for right now I plan to take her at either 6m or 1 yr.
#22 of 30 Old 02-07-2008, 09:42 PM

Why are doctors so worried about unvaxxed babies? Is it because they dont come in and pay the $200 every 2 months? Is it becauses the other vaxxed kids are gonna get some kind of diseases from the dangerous unvaxxed kid?

Seriously, I would ask the doc "So you dont belive my child should be entitled to health care?"

WTF.
#23 of 30 Old 02-08-2008, 12:56 AM

They say it is risky for the other children and for my child. They dont want to be responsible. Shouldn't I, as the parent, have a choice in this? it feels as though I am being bullied into a corner. I agree...

WTF.
#24 of 30 Old 02-08-2008, 04:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
Why are doctors so worried about unvaxxed babies? Is it because they dont come in and pay the $200 every 2 months? Is it becauses the other vaxxed kids are gonna get some kind of diseases from the dangerous unvaxxed kid?

Seriously, I would ask the doc "So you dont belive my child should be entitled to health care?"

WTF.

I think doctors are worried because they feel their patients' lives are being unduly put at increased risk by the parent (not that I agree, just saying that's probably what they think.)
#25 of 30 Old 02-08-2008, 01:22 PM

I'm a little more jaded...I think it's a power play to coerce you into vaxing b/c "they" have decided it's necessary.

Chrsta
#26 of 30 Old 02-09-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeMuffin View Post
i'm planning to go. i love my FP. kid germs don't coat the office (the patients almost entirely adults - and i wear her in the moby in the waiting room), there's no pressure to vax, i like checking her weight gain and length, and so far i've had questions each time and i have questions for the 2 month appt too. i can understand why people don't go, of course, but it's not hard for me to get there, and i only get good things out of it, so i don't see why not, for now.
That's me, too. Our doc is totally fine with my kiddos not being vaccinated, and I like to just have a 'pro' eyeball my kiddos when they're teeny so I know they're doing well. And, like Muffin, I've had questions at each point, so I'd be making the appointments anyways.

I'm a little less A.R. about when we have the appts this time, and I'm not doing quite as many, but our doc and her nurse practitioner are both cool so I enjoy going.
#27 of 30 Old 02-09-2008, 12:47 PM

I'm lucky and found a no/delayed vax-friendly ped. He's great! He said, just tell me if and when you want to do any shots.

It is a hassle to take her in but I like the benefit of having established care with a doctor. I'd like to build a relationship with the man. Particularly since I *don't* want to vax, I'd like a doctor familiar with her health history in case I ever run into a VPD...I'd like to have someone who is familiar with my concerns and my daughter should she ever need medical assistance, etc. It's a drag to switch doctors all the time and try to reestablish yourself as a patient/going through your medical history/etc. It'd be different if I couldn't find a ped okay with my stance on vax but since he is, I figure it's worth the money and time. Like Muffin, too, I have questions! I enjoy that he looks over her hips, head, ears, etc. As a new parent I worry I may dismiss something "trusting my instincts" that may actually need some attention, so I do feel comfortable with that.
#28 of 30 Old 02-09-2008, 02:05 PM

If you can't find a ped, try going to the local health department for check-ups.

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#29 of 30 Old 02-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaheroine View Post
I'm lucky and found a no/delayed vax-friendly ped. He's great! He said, just tell me if and when you want to do any shots.

It is a hassle to take her in but I like the benefit of having established care with a doctor. I'd like to build a relationship with the man. Particularly since I *don't* want to vax, I'd like a doctor familiar with her health history in case I ever run into a VPD...I'd like to have someone who is familiar with my concerns and my daughter should she ever need medical assistance, etc. It's a drag to switch doctors all the time and try to reestablish yourself as a patient/going through your medical history/etc. It'd be different if I couldn't find a ped okay with my stance on vax but since he is, I figure it's worth the money and time. Like Muffin, too, I have questions! I enjoy that he looks over her hips, head, ears, etc. As a new parent I worry I may dismiss something "trusting my instincts" that may actually need some attention, so I do feel comfortable with that.
I agree. My daughter became seriously ill in November and I got "busted" because my daughter hadn't seen the Dr. in close to a year. The Ped. felt really uncomfortable not having a good history on my DD and basically told me that I needed to be more vigilant about bringing her in, even when she's healthy. Will not make that mistake again. It's much better to have a healthy, established relationship. If you want to skip appts., at least let the Dr. know your plans so he doesn't feel like you just "using" him when your baby becomes ill and you call him out of the blue.
#30 of 30 Old 02-12-2008, 01:18 AM

I like keeping WBVs for at least the first 6-9 months. It's nice to have an "official" record of growth, and so forth, and since our doctors in the past have all been very non-controlling* (in the sense of allowing me make the health decisions for my children! Imagine that!), so it's pretty low-pressure. I like to keep an eye on the growth curve, and while I can certainly do that on my own, if something were to come up, I'd feel much more comfortable taking my kids to someone with whom we've made the effort--on both sides--to establish a real relationship. After 6-9 months, I don't generally make WBVs, except perhaps once per year if we haven't been in for another reason that year. We are very healthy, FTMP, and it actually has happened--even with 3 kids--that we've had a year without any sick appointments whatsoever!

*and as a side note, IMO, a care-provider who is non-controlling and respects the parents' rights to make health-care decisions for their children is more important than a care-provider who agrees with me on any particular issue, even vax.

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page