looking for help/suggestions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-07-2008, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is almost 8 weeks old and he will not nap by himself, only on me/DH. If he falls asleep and I put him down he wakes within five minutes. I woulndn't mind this so much except for that in another 8 weeks I am going back to work and he will have babysitters.

I am only working for another 28 days and babysitters are my
mil, mom, and friends. I know mostly they would hold him and it wouldnt be a big deal, except that one friend has a 15 month old son, so I know it sure would be easier if she can put my ds son down.

So, how can I get him to lay down or be away from a human? DH showed him the swing (again) last night, which started an hour long crying jag.

Any help would be great.
#2 of 11 Old 02-07-2008, 07:36 PM

first of all, if he likes being worn, see if you can take whatever you use for BWing in to whoever's watching him, because that will make it easier on them.

i haven't read it myself but have heard awesome things about the 'no cry sleep solution' book; supposed to give tips on getting your baby to sleep with minimal help without CIO.

also i was looking at this link (thanks ivymae!) and clicked on all the links that it links to, and i learned so much awesome stuff about infant sleep that i found really helpful. maybe you will find something you can use?

the swing and bouncy seat work best for us if she's already CONKED OUT when i put her in, but it's not 100% of the time - she still sometimes will wake up within a minute of being put in it. and some of those times she'll put herself back to sleep, but not usually.

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
#3 of 11 Old 02-07-2008, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

thanks MmeMuffin, I am going to look into all of this!
#4 of 11 Old 02-09-2008, 09:59 AM

Do you swaddle him, Amanda? The only way I can get O to sleep *not* on me or being worn is swaddled. Otherwise she startles herself awake.
#5 of 11 Old 02-09-2008, 03:27 PM

Would you consider letting them take him for a stroller ride? That often works quite well at inducing sleep, and they can just "park" him inside.
#6 of 11 Old 02-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Banned

My DD was like that. I would warm up her sleeping area with the heating pad ahead of time (not for her to sleep on the pad (DANGEROUS!), but just to warm the bed or whatever and then to be removed before I put her down.) It seemed to help. That and putting her on her stomach, which I am not advising, it's just what worked for me.
#7 of 11 Old 02-09-2008, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
my ds needs to be on his side or stomach if I want to lay him down to sleep - maybe a different position would help?

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#8 of 11 Old 02-11-2008, 02:37 AM

try putting a shirt you have worn by him or wrapping him in a blanket that you have had close to you. He may just want that familiar smell.
#9 of 11 Old 02-11-2008, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry been out of town, thanks for responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickV View Post
Do you swaddle him, Amanda? The only way I can get O to sleep *not* on me or being worn is swaddled. Otherwise she startles herself awake.
I do swaddle, normally every night, but noy really during the day, and I was thinking i was going to start trying it during the day but then i read that too much swaddling can cause the hips to not develop as necessary. Anyone ever heard this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erica990 View Post
Would you consider letting them take him for a stroller ride? That often works quite well at inducing sleep, and they can just "park" him inside.
I would have no problem with that, good suggestion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCKH View Post
My DD was like that. I would warm up her sleeping area with the heating pad ahead of time (not for her to sleep on the pad (DANGEROUS!), but just to warm the bed or whatever and then to be removed before I put her down.) It seemed to help. That and putting her on her stomach, which I am not advising, it's just what worked for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post
my ds needs to be on his side or stomach if I want to lay him down to sleep - maybe a different position would help?
I dont know about stomach because of his reflux but i will try side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk_heidi View Post
try putting a shirt you have worn by him or wrapping him in a blanket that you have had close to you. He may just want that familiar smell.
Good idea!
#10 of 11 Old 02-11-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matey View Post
I do swaddle, normally every night, but noy really during the day, and I was thinking i was going to start trying it during the day but then i read that too much swaddling can cause the hips to not develop as necessary. Anyone ever heard this?
Huh - I had never heard this, but some googling shows it's a pretty prevalent thought ... I use a Miracle Blanket, but I've started leaving her legs out and only swaddling her arms. She usually works one out to get a hand near her face, but it's still not "loose" enough to trigger her startle reflex.

I found this blanket when I was googling - I may order one: http://www.angelinasuniquebabythings...ng_blanket.htm
#11 of 11 Old 02-11-2008, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

I have been looking into the miracle blanket, and i think I may try it. With it the legs can left loose, just in case that hip thing is true. The blanket i use right now is a little small and J is getting bigger so he can pull out of it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page