Reccommend Pregnancy Books - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-03-2007, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, and have researched the medical literature and studies regarding childbirth, but beyond that I need some reccommendations for good reading.

Please list your favorite Childbirthing books. Thanks
#2 of 14 Old 05-03-2007, 04:50 PM

"The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" by Henci Goer
"The Birth Book" by Dr. Sears
"The Pregnancy Book" by Martha Sears
"Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering" by Sarah J Buckley
"Birth Your Way" by Sheila Kitzinger
"Trust Your Body! Trust Your Baby!" by Andrea Frank Henkart
"Birthing From Within" by Pam England and Rob Horowitz
"Having a Baby Naturally" by Peggy O'Mara
"Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn: The Complete Guide" by Penny Simkin
"Homebirth" by Sheila Kitzinger (if you might be interested in that)
"A Good Birth, A Safe Birth" by Diana Korte
"Childbirth without Fear: The Principles and Practice of Natural Childbirth" by Michael Odent
"Gentle Birth Choices" by Barbara Harper
"The Birth Partner" by Penny Simkin

NOT a book, but still helpful further down the road, www.spinningbabies.com and www.blueribbonbaby.org

As part of the healing process from a traumatic birth experience with my ds I became a little bit of a birth junky and literally read just about every birth book I could get my hands on. If you only read ONE of the books I gave...my suggestion is "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" by Henci Goer.

I tend to follow Marsden Wagner's guidelines for choosing pregnancy/birth books. If it ever says something along the lines of "if this happens or if you have a question...ask your doctor" put the book down and find another!
#3 of 14 Old 05-03-2007, 06:16 PM

Wow Pampered mom!!
Great list.
I second what she said, LOL!
I's also like to add that you get a breastfeeding book, either books by Dr. Jack Newman (ultimate breastfeeding book of answers or guide to BFing)are great, as is "the breastfeeding book" by Sears, or the LLL book.
don't wait til the baby is here to realize you know everything about pregnancy and birth but nothing about actually caring for the baby!!

CPST
#4 of 14 Old 05-03-2007, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
don't wait til the baby is here to realize you know everything about pregnancy and birth but nothing about actually caring for the baby!!
Yeah good advice!

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#5 of 14 Old 05-03-2007, 10:53 PM

I also liked the Sears books and one of the books by Kitzinger. "Birthing From Within" is also great. It's less of a week by week, month by month style and more about... um... going within I enjoyed it most in my last trimester.
#6 of 14 Old 05-04-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
Absolutely! :0) Totally forgot to mention that part, but it really is so key. I would definitely suggest that once you are further along in your pregnancy that you start to attend your local LLL meetings. They totally welcome expecting moms. It will give you the opportunity to start soaking up the breastfeeding culture, which if you live in the US (and I suppose a great many other countries) is severely lacking. I think it's good to start getting in the right frame of mind.

It will also help you develop connections that will be so vital after the baby is born. You just never know how things will turn out or how easy (or difficult) breastfeeding may be for you. It's always good to have folks in your corner who will stick with you and encourage you if things get rough. Folks who, when you're emotional and upset, won't encourage you to pop open a can of formula b/c it's "easier" for you. Absolutely key in my mind from my BTDT place.
#7 of 14 Old 05-04-2007, 02:47 PM

I would like to second a bunch of those books:

The Thinking Woman's Guide
The birth Partner
Birthing from Within
Ina May's Guide (although you already mentioned it)

I also read Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way and found it really helpful to understand what is going on physically. I didn't end up using the bradley method at all though.

One I have heard great things about but never got around to last time (but hopefully this time) is:

Active Birth

Another one that is great is Having Faith by Steingraber. It isn't a birth book per say but is an an ecologists view of having a baby. It is great because she goes into detail about what is going on during different parts of the pregnancy and how different environmental things affect the baby. It is punctuated by her own experiences. Then the second half of the book is all about breastfeeding and things that affect your milk - again punctuated by her experiences. Very informative and funny. Plus it is a little different than the other types of books so when your head is spinning from overload it is a good break.

~~Mama to DS1 6/05 and DS2 12/07~~
#8 of 14 Old 05-06-2007, 12:42 PM

Journey into motherhood : inspirational stories of natural birth
by Menelli, Sheri

Childbirth without fear; the principles and practice of natural childbirth,
by Dick-Read, Grantly

Heart & hands : a midwife's guide to pregnancy & birth
by Davis, Elizabeth

The Baby Catcher
by Penny Simkin
#9 of 14 Old 05-06-2007, 01:10 PM

Along with the suggestions you already got .............
The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, it really can be very helpful to read it before the birth.

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#10 of 14 Old 05-07-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniscus View Post
Another one that is great is Having Faith by Steingraber. It isn't a birth book per say but is an an ecologists view of having a baby. It is great because she goes into detail about what is going on during different parts of the pregnancy and how different environmental things affect the baby. It is punctuated by her own experiences. Then the second half of the book is all about breastfeeding and things that affect your milk - again punctuated by her experiences. Very informative and funny. Plus it is a little different than the other types of books so when your head is spinning from overload it is a good break.
I just picked that up from the library on Thursday on a whim. I LOVE it!!! Definitely another good read!
#11 of 14 Old 05-07-2007, 12:01 PM

The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is one of the best, most comprehensive guides to breastfeeding. If you don't feel you've got enough time to read it, Breastfeeding: Pure & Simple is another LLL publication that contains most of the same information, but much more compact.

Other great books regarding childcare and parenting are:

Adventures in Gentle Discipline - Hilary Flower
Attachment Parenting - Katie Gramju
The Baby Book - Sears
The No-Cry Sleep Solution - Elizabeth Pantley
The Sleep Book - Sears

I also love this peice of advice I got from my OB when I was in the hospital after my first was born. "Feed Her Frequently, Clean Her Often, and Love Her Always"

Happy Reading!

Emily
#12 of 14 Old 05-07-2007, 11:16 PM

Also, there may be some duplicates on this list, but it's a very good one as well. http://www.ican-online.org/resources/readinglist.php
#13 of 14 Old 05-12-2007, 02:18 PM

I don't want to repeat and most of my books have already been listed, but I also like:
The Natural Pregnancy Book
by Aviva Jill Romm

"The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Chidlbirth" by Sheila Kitzinger

and I second whoever said to start learning/reading about babies and children as well.

I also like most things by the Sears
#14 of 14 Old 05-12-2007, 09:39 PM

These are all great suggestions.. I have most of these books listed. I also like

"Hey, Who's Having this Baby Anyway" by Brett Hawk (a midwife)

"Special Delivery" by Rahima Baldwin

"Pregnant Feelings" (can't remember who writes this..it is sort of a pregnancy workbook for couples)

Right now I am also reading Open Season by Nancy Cohen.. helps me remember why I stay passionate about birthing education

Mama to my tribe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page