Where will you be - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 05-03-2007, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
birthing? Have you thought about that yet?

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#2 of 35 Old 05-03-2007, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Both my boys were OB attended hospital births. They were pretty good for a hospital birth, but, this time I was hoping to try something different. I'm not sure if I can go all the way with a homebirth and getting DH on board with it as well. But I'm thinking of having a CNM and a waterbirth at a nearby hospital. We've got time to talk about it, but I do need to start thinking about who I'd like to attend.

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#3 of 35 Old 05-03-2007, 10:38 PM

Homebirthing with a direct entry midwife. I live in Illinois, so hopefully she'll be legal soon! The legislation is almost passed.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#4 of 35 Old 05-03-2007, 10:45 PM

Probably in the same hospital I delivered dd. My insurance covers it, along with certified nurse midwives - I don't have any financial support for a homebirth or birthing center (my ideal). The hospital was fine, (mostly) not invasive. I could labor, birth and restore in the same private room. They have deep tubs and allowed me to labor in the water, with a ball they provided, and encouraged me to move freely. They listened to what I wanted and helped me carry out my intentions, and the only thing I didn't like was the way they kept trying to listen to the baby's heartbeat - but I think a lot of midwives do that in homebirths too.
#5 of 35 Old 05-04-2007, 12:11 AM

I'm really really hoping for a homebirth. I had my dd in the hospital and it wasn't the birth I had wanted. I am interviewing midwives in the next couple of weeks and just hope that my blood pressure stays low enough so that I can birth at home!
#6 of 35 Old 05-04-2007, 12:31 AM

At home. Either mine or my parents. My ds was a coerced c/s and I'm absolutely not going back there. No way, no how. Especially not with an EDD of 1/1/08 or anywhere around the holidays.

The CPM that I've chosen has never had a mom with PCOS so she's currently "doing her research" and doesn't know if for her it will risk me out of an hb. I've already contacted another CPM that lives near my parents and check with my mom to make sure they'd be ok with me birthing at their house. It's three hours away from home and I'll have to relocate there towards the end, but I'd relocate even further just to have the chance at a normal birth!

If both CPMs fall through...a UC has certainly crossed my mind.
#7 of 35 Old 05-04-2007, 01:51 AM

I am very lucky to live in a very out-of-hospital-birth-friendly part of the country!! I will be giving birth either at home or in a birth center. I haven't totally made up my mind yet, but my DH is on board either way!

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#8 of 35 Old 05-04-2007, 09:10 AM

Aiming for UC. I had my son at the local hospital after our homebirth didn't work out because my midwife couldn't come, and that's not something I want to do again.
I'm meeting with another midwife sometime soon who also does homebirths, but I guess I'll just have her do the check-ups and then "forget" to call or something.

Mama with babyboy.gif (2005), babyboy.gif (2008) & babygirl.gif (2010)

#9 of 35 Old 05-04-2007, 09:52 AM

Home
I gave birth to Dd and Ds at a hospital, but I told Dh that this time we are staying home. We went through hell because of the hospitals policies after Ds's birth. I had wanted to have a homebirth then, but we couldn't fund it Now I just have to figure out a way to get our insurance to cover it or find a way to fund out of pocket this time.

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#10 of 35 Old 05-04-2007, 10:35 AM

We will UC, unless we get the feeling that we shouldn't....in which case we will follow our intuition.

CPST
#11 of 35 Old 05-04-2007, 11:03 AM

How do you go about interviewing midwives or OBs? Do they expect this? Do they charge for interviews? How long of an appointment do you schedule? How nitty-gritty detailed do you get while interviewing, or is it mostly a chance to match philosophy? Do you bring a rough draft of a birth plan to your interview? Does insurance cover CNMs most of the time?
For mothers that have done this before, what were the pitfalls? Did you feel like you were able to follow your instincts?

What about husbands... I think mine may be more worried about natural childbirth than I am, I am really keen on hypnobirth and a midwife and would love to find a birthing center not in a hospital but I don't think there is one around here. I'd feel comfortable exploring a homebirth but I don't know if he could handle it. In fact, as much as he loves and supports me he's a little squeamish and we may have my mom in as birth coach so he can just stand by my head and kiss me, we'll decide after the first few birthing classes. How have all of you covered this with your mates?

full time student, crunchy wife to my woodsy man, and mom to 2 homebirthed, cloth diapered, tandem breastfed kiddos. 
#12 of 35 Old 05-04-2007, 11:39 AM

We are doing a homebirth with a lay midwife and a doula as my support as both DH and I agree he will be no help; instead he can be camera man. I will have a birthing tub available if I want it for laboring or birthing. Unfortunately, insurance will not cover a dime of my care with my midwife (they only cover CNM who only operate with doctors and in hospitals around here).

"How do you go about interviewing midwives or OBs?"
I scheduled a consultation with a midwife. I just called and asked for a consultation.

"Do they expect this?" Most should.

"Do they charge for interviews?" They shouldn't, but I bet some do.

"How long of an appointment do you schedule?"
Mine lasted an hour, which is longer than the midwives expected.

How nitty-gritty detailed do you get while interviewing, or is it mostly a chance to match philosophy?"
I brought a two page list of questions, and it got really nitty-gritty and specific.
#13 of 35 Old 05-04-2007, 11:44 AM

wobit: Sounds like you need a doula! www.dona.org for more information and to find one near you!

Andrea

#14 of 35 Old 05-04-2007, 12:08 PM

I didn't interview mine because, well, I don't have any other option. Midwives are illegal in my state, and there are only so many who are willing to risk prosecution. HOwever, I also view birth as a natural, normal thing, so I don't feel like i need a ton of care. I'm not concerned. I'd almost consider UC but I'm too nervous for that.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#15 of 35 Old 05-04-2007, 12:26 PM

DoulaLMT - I'm happy to say that I'll be joining you in the wonderful Pacific NorthWest in a few weeks. DH and I will be moving to Hillsboro, Oregon the last week of June. We're expecting #3 and really want a homebirth this time. #1 and #2 were both nice drug-free hospital births... but we really want to avoid the hospital this time. We will be living with my parents, and my mom is not *into* homebirths, so I'm not sure yet if her skeptical-vibes will interfere with my labor. So we'll be spending the next eight months debating between a home-birth and a birth-center birth. Thankfully my DH is totally on board with either also.

Emily
#16 of 35 Old 05-04-2007, 02:36 PM

We are planning a homebirth this time around with a CNM.

DS was born in a hospital with a midwife. I was in a different state and was unable to find out info on homebirth (it was illegal but I know someone must have done it) - plus I wasn't sure how I would handle birth so I liked having all the options a hospital offered.

KittyTheCat - my friend is interested in doing something very similar to what you want. She was very upfront with the midwife and the mw has no problems with it. So my friend is going to call her when she feels ready but the mw is going to stay away in another room. That way my friend can call her in if she wants/needs her or not. Maybe your mw would be willing to do the same??

Wobit - I have been lucky (I guess) both times my choices were really limited. With my son I could either do an OB (which I didn't want) or there was a midwifery clinic - so no interviewing. This time around there is only one mw who does homebirth in the area. I have been going to a Birth Circle here that is mostly homebirth support and from the stories I have heard about the mw - she sounds exactly like what I have always wanted. I am very excited.

I think something I learned was that you don't have to rush into making any decisions. With my son I felt I had to get into the clinic right away - like the afternoon I tested positive. It is funny to me now - I mean - I have got 9 months!! Also, you can always change your mind later about what you want. My bff found the *perfect* mw and then halfway through the pregnancy the mw called and told her she wasn't going to do births anymore. So you never know what is going to happen.

Oh, one more thing - DH read The Birth Partner and fell in love with birth!!! His brother's wife had a regular hospital birth, induced, no labor at home, etc. DH was stomping around the house spouting out facts and saying but don't they know . . . . It was so funny. I would highly recommend it. It also has a little section on newborn care (like cord care and stuff) which I never thought of but most dhs don't really know anything about that stuff either.

~~Mama to DS1 6/05 and DS2 12/07~~
#17 of 35 Old 05-04-2007, 03:37 PM

frogleymom - Definitely check out Andaluz Waterbirth Center in Tualatin, OR if you are thinking about a birth center! (http://www.waterbirth.net/) I've attended a birth there as a doula and loved the atmosphere and the midwives. It's a little far from where I live, but may be one of my options too, we'll see!

#18 of 35 Old 05-04-2007, 05:12 PM

I would love a home birth, but it is not a realistic option right now. Only Certified Nurse Midwifes are legal here, and there is only one in the area. It costs $3500. She is REALLY nice and knowledgable, but I dont have 3500 to spend onthe birth. I dont know how muchg a doula costs, but I have known a few people with my insurance plan who ended up spending between $250-400, with medication. So, I really see the hospital as being the choice I need to make for financial reasons, someday I will have a home birth though.
#19 of 35 Old 05-04-2007, 05:59 PM

I've heard some awesome things about the Andaluz Birth Center, plus I think it's one of the closest to my parents house.

We'll probably end up using that as our birth center if we go that route.

As for the finances. DH is only working part-time and doesn't get benefits, so we have private insurance. Unfortunately, since we're moving out of state, we have to change insurances and unless we can get group insurance when DH gets a new job, private insurance will consider pregnancy a pre-existing condition and won't cover it at all. That makes a homebirth the most financially savvy option we've got right now.

Emily
#20 of 35 Old 05-04-2007, 08:36 PM

home.

My dh and I agree that a hospital is the most dangerous place for me to give birth.
#21 of 35 Old 05-05-2007, 01:12 AM

We would like to have a homebirth again, this time I know I want a birthing stool, possible a birthing stool in the birth tub but that could get tricky We had a team of 4 midwives before 3 of which attended the birth and that was just too much for us. I'd really liked one of them in perticular and I'd love to have just her attend the birth. I definatly don't want to recive parallel care from a medical midwife this time, I'm thinking I will have a UP up until the end if I feel comfortable doing that when the time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matey View Post
I would love a home birth, but it is not a realistic option right now. Only Certified Nurse Midwifes are legal here, and there is only one in the area. It costs $3500. She is REALLY nice and knowledgable, but I dont have 3500 to spend onthe birth. I dont know how muchg a doula costs, but I have known a few people with my insurance plan who ended up spending between $250-400, with medication. So, I really see the hospital as being the choice I need to make for financial reasons, someday I will have a home birth though.
Just a thought for you...

we were in the same situation last time around, if we went with a hospital birth we wouldn't have had to pay a cent but we really wanted a HB. Our midwives let us do a payment plan that worked great for us, $1000 up front and $100 a month after that. It seems like most midwives are willing to work with you because they want HBs to be available to those that really want them. If you haven't already it might be worth asking her if she would let you guys do a payment plan or work out some kind of financial agreement
#22 of 35 Old 05-05-2007, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniscus View Post
KittyTheCat - my friend is interested in doing something very similar to what you want. She was very upfront with the midwife and the mw has no problems with it. So my friend is going to call her when she feels ready but the mw is going to stay away in another room. That way my friend can call her in if she wants/needs her or not. Maybe your mw would be willing to do the same??
I thought about doing it that way, but I'm not sure the mw would go with that (liability issues and all that). And, despite mw-attended homebirth is perfectly legal here, my choice of mws is pretty limited. We have two mws in town, another a good 30km from here (she was going to be at our first birth). The second one here in town is the sort of woman I definitely don't want anywhere near me while in labor, she's very domineering, and I just don't like her a whole lot.
Besides, it's kind of contraband to the idea of UC.

Mama with babyboy.gif (2005), babyboy.gif (2008) & babygirl.gif (2010)

#23 of 35 Old 05-05-2007, 10:51 AM

My first was a c-section. I am trying for a VBAC, but I will be in a hospital. I love my OB.
#24 of 35 Old 05-05-2007, 11:21 AM

After my last hospital birth I said I'd give birth alone in the woods with a dull knife before I went back to a hospital but we live in an apartment (and I'm really loud while birthing) so a home birth isn't really a practical option. The hospital I'd like to give birth at (with birthing tubs) doesn't appear to be in our insurance so I'm going to have to do a bit more researching to figure out what I want to do.
#25 of 35 Old 05-05-2007, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogleymom View Post
DoulaLMT - I'm happy to say that I'll be joining you in the wonderful Pacific NorthWest in a few weeks. DH and I will be moving to Hillsboro, Oregon the last week of June. We're expecting #3 and really want a homebirth this time. #1 and #2 were both nice drug-free hospital births... but we really want to avoid the hospital this time. We will be living with my parents, and my mom is not *into* homebirths, so I'm not sure yet if her skeptical-vibes will interfere with my labor. So we'll be spending the next eight months debating between a home-birth and a birth-center birth. Thankfully my DH is totally on board with either also.

Emily
I won't be far from you! I'm in Forest Grove so like 20mins from Hillsboro. Neato!! Have you checked out our crazy local tribe thread. Its the PDX thread, its a bit crazy to stay on top of, but all the moms there are so nice. Your going to love it here!

#26 of 35 Old 05-06-2007, 01:21 AM

I really WANT to homebirth, but DH won't go for it. His ex had an emergency c/s with DSS#1 and a scheduled c/s with DSS#2, so he hasn't seen a birth work the way it's supposed to. I'm hoping that after he sees that I can do it, I can homebirth with the next one.
#27 of 35 Old 05-06-2007, 01:03 PM

If everything goes according to plan, http://www.thebirthinginn.com/ with a CNM. They also provide a doula, so I dont think Im going to get another one.

Hopefully birth #2 will be a home birth, by then they should have finished the hospital.. right now, we are 45 minutes away from one and sometimes traffic is horrendous and there are no alternate routes.. gotta love the puget sound
#28 of 35 Old 05-06-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2DoubleCuties View Post
I won't be far from you! I'm in Forest Grove so like 20mins from Hillsboro. Neato!! Have you checked out our crazy local tribe thread. Its the PDX thread, its a bit crazy to stay on top of, but all the moms there are so nice. Your going to love it here!
That's awesome that you'll be so close!!

I actually grew up in Hillsboro (Glencoe Alum!!), and I'm SO excited to finally be moving back. I've missed the rain so much. Utah has been a great place to go to school... but I hate the desert.

We've only got 6 1/2 weeks before the move!!!

Emily
#29 of 35 Old 05-06-2007, 04:55 PM

YAY for Pacific Northwest January mommies!!!

#30 of 35 Old 05-07-2007, 08:25 PM

I'll join all of the PNW-ers! I'm in the Seattle area, and I plan on a homebirth this time. I went to a freestanding birth center last time, and while it was a GREAT birth, in the end it seemed kinda silly to go anywhere. I should have just birthed at home. Plus, I NEVER want to have another contraction in a car again! It was only 0.5 miles from my place, but the two contractions in the car were the worst ones!

We've moved down the street a bit since then, and our house will be better for a homebirth than our condo was anyway. I think I might change midwives this time, too. The ones I worked with before were fine, but I got a weird vibe from one of them that never went away. I think I'll drive a little farther to go to a practice in Kirkland instead of staying in Bellevue for convenience.

My insurance completely covers a hospital birth, a birth center, or a homebirth. The homebirth will cost a little bit, actually, because I'll have to purchase some supplies.

I hired a doula last time, and it was a good decision. It was great having someone at home with us who knew what she was looking at and had her wits about her. It was just good insurance to get us to the birth center before it was too late.

This time I suspect we'll hire the same doula, and have my mom or a friend either take my son away for a bit or stay here with him, depending upon how he is at the time. I'm also thinking about asking a friend of mine who never had children (she'll be 50 this year) if she wants to come. She's REALLY good a massage, and I think that under pressure she'll take orders well. I know that she'd like to experience a little bit of what it is like to give birth to a child.

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page