Essential Equipment - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 05-05-2007, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a question for the experienced moms on this board. I'm pregnant with my first, and I've noticed that there is SOOOOOOO much that I could get for my baby, and frankly I suspect most of it is worthless. So, I'm asking, what is necessary, what's helpful, and what should I skip?

I'm going to be a SAHM with some work on the weekends after 3 months post partum, co-sleeping, bfing, cding. I know I need to get:

changing table
cloth diapers, covers
clothes
blankets
nursing pillow
sling/wrap/carrier
carseat
some toys
glider/nursing spot

Should I get one of those co-sleeper things for naps? Or, perhaps a pack n play? We will be travelling up to grandma's regularly (who co-slept) and I'm wondering what we should be doing about that.

What else do I need? It seems like such a small list.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 32 Old 05-05-2007, 09:51 PM

it looks like you have a great list there. if you have any friends who will give you hand-me-downs or loaners of anything else you're considering, that would be the way to go. my mom always told me that babies are very inexpensive - you don't really have to spend money until they get older.
#3 of 32 Old 05-05-2007, 09:56 PM

We never used a changing table, just a blanket and a flat surface, usually our bed worked fine.
#4 of 32 Old 05-05-2007, 09:56 PM

I found so much of it to be useless just like you said. I'm actually so glad that I just went through all of this so I know exactly what I need and don't need and it's fresh in my mind.

changing table- I never had one, I think it's a bad investment since they outgrow them so quickly, we used the bed, floor or wherever we could get her to hold still, now at 11 months most of her changes are standing up lol

cloth diapers, covers- Yes yes yes, I could give you my extensive must have nb CD list but that is a whole other post he he

clothes- I have found that there are certain things I like and some things that are totally rediculous, like anything with a lot of snaps. My babies wordrobe must haves are long and short sleve t-shirts, lots of wool longies and a bunch of zip up footed sleepers.

blankets- really didn't need as many of those little blankets as I had, this time I will be sure to have at least 5 thick worm soft blankets rather than those thin little flannel kind.

nursing pillow-Boppy was my best friend for the first week learning how to nurse, after that it was useless and in the way, I think I'll just use a regular pillow this time around.

sling/wrap/carrier- My hotsling and DH's fleece pouch were MUST HAVE for a newborn. Moby wrap was nice too but a PITA to get on an off, now that she's a little bigger I'd die w/out my Beco and it's always nice to have a plain old mei tai on hand.

carseat-You can't go wrong with a convertable britax, I feel like she is so safe in our boulevard, but I think I'll go for a marathon this time around, only because the prints are way cuter and they are a little cheaper.

some toys- not importaint at all, we found that babies are most interested by everyday objects you already have in your house, and we ended up collecting quite a few toys as gifts over the months so I'm really glad we didnt' buy any.

glider/nursing spot-never had one of , always nurse on the couch or infront of the computer but I would like one this time around.

Baby bed- we have a bassinett and it was nice to have to lay her down in once in a while but she never slept a night in there. I use it now for her dolls and toys and like having it around. I'd rec. getting one with wheels on it. We never bought a crib I just don't like the Idea of putting my baby in a cage looking thing, she has always slept with us so I don't see the need.

Other stuff you might want to get:
Bumbo chair
Intellitainer/play center
umbrella stroller for the car
#5 of 32 Old 05-06-2007, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, obviously I'm a first time mom...why would I need a stroller (what's an umbrella stroller) if I'm using a carrier?

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#6 of 32 Old 05-06-2007, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
Ok, obviously I'm a first time mom...why would I need a stroller (what's an umbrella stroller) if I'm using a carrier?
I'm a pretty hardcore babywearing mama myself lol but having the umbrella stroller in the car has saved me so many times. Sometimes she just doesn't want to be in the carrier or sometimes I have a lot of stuff to carry, like when we are walking around at the farmer's market or the mall and I can hang the diaper bag on the stroller and stack all the stuff on there. We actually started out without a stroller but one day at the mall I was wearing a new Mei tai and it started to get really uncomfortable so we just bought one of those cheap $15 strollers in sears and put her in it. I have also accidently forggoten to leave a carrier in the car before, but the stroller is always in there.

Oh and an umbrella stroller is just a cheap lightweight stroller that folds up small, this is the one we have:
http://www.kolcraft.com/images/300x3...ES_300x300.jpg
#7 of 32 Old 05-06-2007, 02:29 AM

This is great information!! I'll be a FTM too, so I'm glad this thread got started!

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#8 of 32 Old 05-06-2007, 03:15 AM

changing table- I bought one and it became a glorified crap catcher lol I use any (safe) flat surface now. It just makes things easier!

cloth diapers, covers- I didn't start CDing my son until recently so I'm not sure about the NB phase, but thats a good question for the Diapering Board!!

clothes- Onesies and footie pajamas! My son lived in those until just recently (he's 1!!)

blankets- Swaddling blankets are great for early on. I ended up using all my flannel receiving blankets as backup diapers!!

nursing pillow- I have a boppy and it's nice to have, but I wouldn't call it a gotta-have

sling/wrap/carrier- A wrap is the most versitle(sp?) imo.

carseat- If you plan on using a carrier I would get a carseat that will grow with the baby for a while. I used my infant seat for about 3 months before it became to much of a hassle. Now it's collecting dust in the garage.

some toys- Lots of soft easy toys to chew on for now. I wouldn't get too many until baby starts showing signs of interaction!

glider/nursing spot- I loved my glider even before I gave birth

I do agree about the stroller. My son very rarely likes to be carried.

A Tummy-Time mat is a good investment too. They'll soon be needing that tummy time and those make it easy!!

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#9 of 32 Old 05-06-2007, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, why do you need a tummy time mat? I understand tummy time is important, but why not just the floor? (I'm crocheting a larger blanket right now that I plan to use for things like playing on the floor, and hopefully as a main blanket when they're older. It's more toddler sized than newborn).

Also, what is a carseat that'll grow with them? I know NOTHING about carseats.

#10 of 32 Old 05-06-2007, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Ok, why do you need a tummy time mat? I understand tummy time is important, but why not just the floor? (I'm crocheting a larger blanket right now that I plan to use for things like playing on the floor, and hopefully as a main blanket when they're older. It's more toddler sized than newborn).

Also, what is a carseat that'll grow with them? I know NOTHING about carseats.
Tummy Time mats have toys on them to keep them occupied My son loved his and it's not necessarily a "must have" just a good investment!

Carseat-wise I mean one like this :

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5515915

It goes from 5-35lbs rear facing and up to 40lbs forward facing.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#11 of 32 Old 05-06-2007, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice!

I've been poking, and I'll definitely be getting a convertible car seat. It just seems dumb to buy multiples when you don't have to. The Britax roundabout looked neat.

#12 of 32 Old 05-06-2007, 04:39 AM

Britax is the company I hear the most praise for. I'm very thankful for my convertible carseat and probably will end up giving away my infant seat.

#13 of 32 Old 05-06-2007, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

It seems like the best, and the way I see it, I'm doing my baby on the cheap. Cloth diapering, breast feeding, etc. are so much cheaper, and I'll therefore be able to afford a quality car seat.

Can they be re-used with later babies?

#14 of 32 Old 05-06-2007, 10:53 AM

Boobs and a sling. And some nursing pads of some kind. There ya go.

Seriously, get as much as you want, but I highly suggest you try to wheedle the grandparents into ponying up for as much as you can. :

My ds slept in a pack n play at the foot of our bed for 4 mos., then moved to a separate bedroom. We didn't do cosleeping 'cause I have a sleeping disorder and have a hard time sleeping as it is. I found the boppy to be useless and just used a regular pillow. We used our changing table once ds moved to his room. Before that, it was the bed.

Babies don't theoretically "need" a lot. Most "needs" are parental, if anything. Just get a few things, the basics for survival, i.e. diapers et al, and then wait to get the other stuff. In the beginning it's all such a blur. All nursing and sleep and laundry.
#15 of 32 Old 05-06-2007, 11:28 AM

I think all you really *need* are:

a sling - invaluable, ds lived in my new native pouch, dh used a maya, now we have a mei tai. He took all his naps in there also so no need for a portable bed.

diapers - we used kissaluvs and pul covers, I loved the kissaluvs and I will probably still use the pul covers but will probably add some wool (especially for night.) btw, you can get prowrap seconds for $4 (i think) if you call the company. Also, the diaper pail, pail liners, prefolds (for use for everything!), etc.

car seat - also have the britax but we choose to get the snugride for the beginning. I aslo saw no reason to get two but after researching it (I am a research hound) and saw some simulated crashes and stuff I got the snugride for the first 2-3 months because they fit better in that type of seat.

clothes - ds was born in the summer in GA so nothing really in the beginning and then just onesies and some rompers. This babe is going to be completely different so not sure at all for clothes!!

That is really all I remember using. That being said I think I would still opt for getting a variety of things because you never know what you will use or what your baby will like. You will get a TON of gifts - even if you think you won't - you will. I just kept it all but kept it in the package. That way I had the option of returning it or opening it and trying it out.

Some other things I had and used were:

bathtub - I had the one with the little mesh sling in it for little tiny babies and that was wonderful. I didn't use soap or shampoo except occasionally - i used the bb soap bar.

toys - ds liked the whoozit - toys seem very overrated for a very long time although you will probably end up with a ton.

changing table & wipes warmer - i really liked having everything in one place and it was a ton easier on my back. i use cloth wipes but still like the warmer.

thin large flannel blanket for swaddling

stroller - we have a maclaren - didn't use it until around 9-10 mos old when he started getting really heavy - besides he didn't really like it until then. it is nice to allow your body and mind a break by going on a walk around the neighborhood.

Nursing - i didn't use the boppy or rocking chair like i thought I would. I propped my feet up on the coffee table and propped an elbow on top of a sofa cusion and relaxed.

Ooooo - a birth ball, exercise ball or whatever - It was SO soothing to ds. Hmm, maybe I should move this to the must have category.

For you - nursing bras and nursing pads (I liked the lansinoh ones). I didn't like the cloth ones - funny because I thought I would since I don't like the idea of disposables. Oh, and Lansinoh.

Oh, I also really like The Baby Book by Dr. Sears. I would have something like that on hand because no matter how secure you are in your parenting style and choices and what to do - when your little baby gets here your whole world will be shaken up and it is nice to have a reference to fall back on.

I am sure there is more. I actually have a spreadsheet that I made when planning for ds's birth. I will go back and check it.

OK - I checked it and here are a few other things:

Night light - we cosleep so I didn't even think about it but it is so dark in the bedroom and I was either waking up and peeking at ds or he was waking me to nurse so I needed a little light.

For baby care - nail clippers, tylenol (so you have it just in case a fever happens in the middle of the night), thermometer, rash ointment, I also loved the weleda baby cream - for tons of skin things. I still use it.

~~Mama to DS1 6/05 and DS2 12/07~~
#16 of 32 Old 05-06-2007, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

A question about nursing pads; I don't wear a bra, and that will not be changing ever. Are they still worthwhile?

Also about the changing table. My mom used my bed as my little sister's changing table (she's 8 years younger than me) and it bugged the crap out of me. So, I have an aversion to using beds as changing tables, and VERY MUCH want one. Granted, I'm thinking DH will be making ours as he's been wanting a simple woodworking project.

Thanks so much for all this advice. It's been really invaluable.

#17 of 32 Old 05-06-2007, 12:09 PM

nursing pads - the only ones i know of are held in place by the bra. I know in the beginning my other side would leak every time I nursed so I held a prefold up to the "non-nursing" side whenever I didn't have a bra on. I have also heard of women holding a cup up to the other side so the milk was saved and could be used later in a bottle or whatever.

Also, not sure what you think of these but the glamour mom tanks have a shelf bra in them and the flaps that flip down have a place for the pad to go in. But that might be too much like a bra for you.

I am a SAHM so I mostly go without wearing pads and just let it leak through my shirt but, in the beginning, it would have been quite awkward in public.

~~Mama to DS1 6/05 and DS2 12/07~~
#18 of 32 Old 05-06-2007, 12:17 PM

some boobs are leakers and some are not - if you're soaking a shirt, you'll want the pads and you'll probably need a bra for that. i wasn't a soaker, so it didn't matter. maybe a shirt with a built-in shelf would do the trick? it's not something you'll know until after the baby comes, which i think is true with most of the props. it's great to have useful things handy when the baby arrives, but it's also frustrating to have spent money on something that you use for one month or not at all.

if you don't have procreating friends, now is the time to make some (LLL meetings - maybe?). and find the places in your town that do baby resale. you can do lots of window shopping and then send dh out to pick things up that become essential when you're living with the babe. really it's all about digestion for the first few weeks - feed them and take care of their poop. sleep and lots of holding. most resale items for infants are like new, because they were used for 1-3 months, if at all.
#19 of 32 Old 05-06-2007, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

I'm involved with a local natural family living group, so woot for mommy friends.

I just already know that I'm going ot have a baby shower, and I need some idea of what to actually put on the registry. Plus, I'm an obsessive planner, and I like doing window shopping in advance

#20 of 32 Old 05-06-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I'm involved with a local natural family living group, so woot for mommy friends.

I just already know that I'm going ot have a baby shower, and I need some idea of what to actually put on the registry. Plus, I'm an obsessive planner, and I like doing window shopping in advance
planning is good! i like to plan, too. my dd totally undermined at least 50% of my planning with her preferences and needs. mostly that involved my perception of what i thought motherhood and parenthood would be, but sometimes it also involved purchased stuff. some babies are very mellow and meld to the family. mine worked the other way around, so i (who thought i was already really flexible) had to compromise in ways i wasn't expecting. it was still awesome - just different than i had planned. i'm so curious about what this one will be like....
#21 of 32 Old 05-06-2007, 12:45 PM

Once I got my supply established (that is another tale of woe entirely...), I leaked a lot. I was a faithful nursing pad user until ds was about 9 mos. old. I'm getting Lily Padz this time, I hear they are da bomb.
#22 of 32 Old 05-06-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
A question about nursing pads; I don't wear a bra, and that will not be changing ever. Are they still worthwhile?
LilyPadz can be worn without a bra. You might want to look into them!

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#23 of 32 Old 05-06-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
Once I got my supply established (that is another tale of woe entirely...), I leaked a lot. I was a faithful nursing pad user until ds was about 9 mos. old. I'm getting Lily Padz this time, I hear they are da bomb.
Everyone I know who has tried Lily Padz has ended up with Mastitis I hope they work out better for you. We were actually just discussing this on another board.
#24 of 32 Old 05-06-2007, 03:06 PM

We've never used a changing table either and I've never seen a need for one. We've got all our diaper stuff in a cupboard under the TV and we just change them on the floor in the family room.

I liked my infant carseat, but so far I've always had a baby to put into it before my infant grew out of it... so we just keep handing the carseats down to the next kid and buying a new one for the oldest.

Our umbrella stroller is awesome, even with two kids it's almost all I ever use, and most of the time it's just holding my stuff and not the girls.

As for the co-sleeping stuff. I'd recommend a bed rail so you can comfortably sleep with the baby on the outside. For naps, something simple like a small moses basket is plenty. That can also be taken to grandma's, or she could get her own for when you're visiting. When we're visiting family and our girls need to sleep, we usually just put them on a blanket on the floor somewhere. If the house is totally not baby-proof, and you can't find a good place to put them, a pack-n-play might be a good investment. I've just never found a need for it.

Emily
#25 of 32 Old 05-06-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
car seat - also have the britax but we choose to get the snugride for the beginning. I aslo saw no reason to get two but after researching it (I am a research hound) and saw some simulated crashes and stuff I got the snugride for the first 2-3 months because they fit better in that type of seat.
Just a FYI for anyone wanting a convertable car seat, the britax boulevard is awesome for a newborn, it has a pillow insert that makes it nice and snug. I'll try and see if I can dig up some pics of Whilder in her's as a newborn...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...daysold003.jpg
#26 of 32 Old 05-06-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:

I second the lilypadz idea. I never wore bras before having a baby either but found that I'd rather wear one than walk around with a wet shirt. The lilypads were great, I could wear them without a bra and feel comfortable walking around.

http://www.lilypadz.com/index1.html
#27 of 32 Old 05-07-2007, 01:36 AM

When I was nursing my ds and was going to be out and about I loved the Lansinoh Disposable nursing pads. : Yeah...yeah...I know...disposable really isn't the best idea, but I loved that they were thin and really worked well. They are kept in place with a sticky tape so it's probably possible that they may work if someone was sans bra.
#28 of 32 Old 05-07-2007, 05:00 AM

Hi-

Congratulations! I wanted to add something to the must-have list. Perhaps you already have it. A KING SIZE FUTON. We have ours directly on the floor.
#29 of 32 Old 05-07-2007, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Why a king size futon?

#30 of 32 Old 05-07-2007, 12:24 PM

Hi,

I suppose it doesn't have to be a futon....I have slept on one my entire life so I say "futon" instead of "bed." If you plan on cosleeping, it is just nice to have a little more room. As small as they are in the beginning, even a newborn can use a large part of the sleeping space because sometimes they spread out and sleep with their limbs stretched out like an X. We put ours on the floor rather than in a bed frame so that we have no stress during the night or nap time that a little one is going to roll off the bed. When our daughter was 4 months old we bought a bought a king-size futon and it was soooo worth it. Also, after having several of our friends visit (we live in Europe) who have small children, several of them also traded their beds back home for a large (king-size) sleeping area near to or on the ground. I think this is one of the top things on Dr. Sear's list as well.

Rachel

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page