How long are you waiting to see a dr/mw? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-07-2007, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to wait until about 12 weeks, is that a bad idea? I just figure if something goes wrong, there really isn't anything they can do about it this early and I'd like to just let things be more mellow this pg.

What about you?

Kimber
#2 of 15 Old 05-07-2007, 11:22 PM

Because of my PCOS I was seeing an RE prior to conception and am still seeing her at this point. Which sometimes really annoys me. I know that I could stop at anytime, but with my increased risk for miscarriage I have decided to continue seeing her figuring at some point that she will transfer care. At that point I'll go ahead and transfer to a hb midwife who I've yet to definitively select.

As to waiting until 12 weeks...with most obstetricians it's pretty standard to wait until you've missed your second af. 12 weeks is only four weeks beyond that point. The benefit is that you'll avoid bringing someone else into the equation. The negative is that depending on the provider it possibly *might* raise some red flags in their mind. Whether or not their justified is really up to interpretation.

For me personally....I don't see any issue with waiting until 12 weeks.
#3 of 15 Old 05-07-2007, 11:35 PM

I've waited longer and longer with each of my kids...with my first, I was 4 months along before I officially saw my MW. With my second, probably 5-6 mo and with my third, I was around 33 wks before my first checkup...I really don't see a reason for it since I have no health issues and pregnancy is not a disease...
#4 of 15 Old 05-07-2007, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I signed up at the MW office the MINUTE I did the four-day-early PG test (they book up immediately around here)... but they won't see me until 12 weeks anyway. Seems fine, I don't have health probs either. Just keep taking my prenatal vitamins and taking care of myself.

Kimber, you're wanting to be more mellow this PG? Mellow vibes

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#5 of 15 Old 05-08-2007, 12:15 AM

I have an appt to get in and do a pregnancy test with my mw, she requires it on Thursday, so I'll be 6 1/2 weeks. Not sure when she'll schedule my pap and all that. I'm due for my yearly anyways, so perfect timing!

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#6 of 15 Old 05-08-2007, 02:12 AM

My Dr doesn't require me to come in just to confirm (thankfully since he is about 30 miles away!) so i will have my first appt, bloodwork, exam, and sonogram on May 25 (about 7 weeks)----I am taking a plane trip at 8 weeks, so I'd like to know everything is ok before I get on the plane.

This is my first pregnancy, and we had a lot of trouble conceiving. Not to mention my mom's history of m/c and complications. I don't care about being "natural" with the first one....I want to KNOW everything is ok! Paranoid? Maybe, but it puts me at ease! :
#7 of 15 Old 05-08-2007, 04:49 AM

I'm having my first mw appointment on Friday, but we'll just talk then. I have to "book" her early because she's only one of two mws who do homebirth around here, so it's the early bird and all that.

Mama with babyboy.gif (2005), babyboy.gif (2008) & babygirl.gif (2010)

#8 of 15 Old 05-08-2007, 09:35 AM

I need to get on the ball and call a couple mws. The one that was highly recommended to me only does a small amount of births a year now. I want to interview her before her schedule fills up.

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#9 of 15 Old 05-08-2007, 10:04 AM

I will see the doctor nxt week, whcih will be a little over 6 weeks. I miscarried last time at 8 or 9 weeks. I want to keep being reassured that everything is ok. I am afraid. Plus, I am going to Italy in early June, which will be just following the 8-9 weeks period, and I will want to make sure everything is cool before I go.
#10 of 15 Old 05-08-2007, 11:39 AM

I am going to be about 12 weeks, which is June 27th; I just called and scheduled the appt with the midwife yesterday. I have to do it fast as she is the only midwife that I am aware of within an hour; the rest are closer to two hours away. Since I chart and am very confident of my ovulation date (and even implantation by way of a small spot of blood on my undies at 9 days post ovulation), and am in great health with no diseases and am on no medications, we agreed that there is no real benefit of me being seen before 12 weeks. She's great though and would see me whenever I want to see her, as early as six weeks.
#11 of 15 Old 05-08-2007, 12:53 PM

The OB here that I went to with DD#1 and DD#2 doesn't see anyone until 10 weeks. With DD#2 I happened to be in the office for my annual when I told her I thought I was pg. (That was about 5 weeks). We scheduled an early u/s to check dates because I was still nursing and my cycles were off. I didn't see her again until 10 weeks.

I know in Utah the big medicaid push is to have your first prenatal sometime before 13 weeks, and at least 13 visits...

We're planning on moving near the end of June, pretty much exactly the end of my first trimester. I don't plan on worrying about prenatals before the move, partly because our insurance is changing and will be weird to work with, and partly because I don't really see the need this time around.

Emily
#12 of 15 Old 05-08-2007, 01:21 PM

I called at like 3 w 6 days and set up an appt for 11 weeks. ?There's no real reason to go in sooner, anything that's going to happen (unless you have a specific known problem like low progesterone and need a prescription) so even things like ultrasounds aren't going to help anything.....if we confirn at heartbeat at 11/12 weeks , then chances of M/C are about as low as they get, and we can tell people, etc.......

CPST
#13 of 15 Old 05-08-2007, 01:32 PM

I'm meeting my prospective mw tomorrow, but it's just a meet and greet to see how she works and work out a tentative payment plan. I probably won't go for an actual appt. until July because I'll be traveling all of June So I will be over 12 wks by the time I actually have an appt. unless she wants to before I leave.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#14 of 15 Old 05-08-2007, 02:27 PM

I am going tomorrow to my Primary Care Manager (whoever that is - never met him/her) for a pregnancy test and referral for insurance purposes. I *know* insurance is going to screw things up because what I am asking for is not really the norm. All that is basically to get the insurance part set up.

As for the mw - I spoke with her on the phone yesterday and the first appt is at the backup ob's office with just procedural stuff. She said it takes about 2-3 weeks to get an appt so that puts me about 8 wks. I will probably try to call today to set up an appt. for reassurance. I had a m/c before my son was born. I knew from a quick u/s that the embryo had stopped growing at 5-6 weeks but I didn't actually have the m/c for another 3 months!! I just couldn't stand the thought of going another 3 months thinking I was going to have a baby only to have a m/c. So for me it is stricly for reassurances.

The next appt is with the mw and that will be much more laid back as far as scheduling goes.

~~Mama to DS1 6/05 and DS2 12/07~~
#15 of 15 Old 05-08-2007, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quite the range there!

I don't want to raise any flags, but tbh, if I could I wouldn't go in until longer because I barely don't quailfy for medicaid so $$, and I really want to be more relaxed about this pg, less testing, more enjoying.

so, the tightwad in me and the hippie in me are on the same page and I just want to make them both happy!

Maybe I'll call my mw and see how late I can come in without her being cranky with me.

Kimber

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page