Cloth Diapers - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 147 Old 08-31-2007, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I missed the part about cloth wipes. You can do one of two things: you can prewet your wipes with your wipe solution and take them in a baggie or a plastic container (if you have a container with a good lid you can even pour a little solution in there with them to keep them nice and wet), or you can take them dry and either carry a bottle with your wipe solution, or simply use plain water. I used plain water for the longest time, it worked fine, so sometimes when we're out I'll just grab some dry wipes and wet them in the bathroom if I need to.
#62 of 147 Old 09-01-2007, 01:35 PM

I'm definitely planning to use them. I've found lots of great info in various Yahoo groups and on diaper sweing divas.com.

From everything I've heard, they're gentler on the baby's skin, on the environment, and on the wallet!

I'm sewing my own, and it's SO FUN to choose fabrics and to think about my little one wearing them.
#63 of 147 Old 09-01-2007, 01:51 PM

This will be the 3rd babe in cloth. I am already gathering newborn dipes.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#64 of 147 Old 09-05-2007, 01:20 PM

Another cloths wipes question -

I'm planning to start making some now that I know it's a boy. How many do you need? Also, anyone want to share their favorite fabric for wipes?

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#65 of 147 Old 09-05-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaLMT View Post
Another cloths wipes question -

I'm planning to start making some now that I know it's a boy. How many do you need? Also, anyone want to share their favorite fabric for wipes?
You need at least as many wipes as you have diapers. Think about it: you'll be using at least one wipe per diaper change, right? I think it doesn't hurt to have one and a half times as many wipes as you have diapers, maybe even more -- the messy poops sometimes require more than one wipe, and you might use them for other things as well.

I like cotton flannel, two layers thick. I also prefer to make them pretty big -- maybe 7 inches square? I get more mileage out of them that way.
#66 of 147 Old 09-05-2007, 08:07 PM

I ordered 50 flannel/velour wipes from a mama on DS board I can't wait to get them! I don't know if this will be enough but it's a start! With my other girls I had flannel (held up okay, worked but sometimes needed more than one), knit/velour (velour was super soft, knit was okay but kinda pilled a bit), velour/velour (just too thick for my taste but super soft), terry/terry (actually I really liked these, but liked the velour better, definately a good choice, though! Stayed soft). I like mine a 8x8 or 8x9 square. Hope that helped!
#67 of 147 Old 09-05-2007, 08:45 PM

We're doing cloth again this time, too! I'm so, so excited! I've got her newborn diaper stash purchased (prefolds and FLAMs), and now I need to get her teeny tiny wool covers made up myself!
#68 of 147 Old 09-05-2007, 09:00 PM

Thanks - I'm going to start working on them this week. Should be pretty easy though. In other news, I bought my first diaper today!! And I got a great deal on it. YAY!!!!! so excited DH was like "what's the big deal?" I knew you ladies would understand.

#69 of 147 Old 09-05-2007, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

I finally finished buying all of our cloth diapers, took me a while because we're going all used. But now it's kind of sad to have nothing to shop for! HAHA! Once we find out boy or girl (hopefully, hopefully any day now!!!!!), I'm going to buy just a few gender-specific dipes I can't wait to put those soft, cute things on my baby's bum!

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#70 of 147 Old 09-06-2007, 12:13 AM

We will be using cloth with this baby also. We switched to cloth (Fuzzi Bunz) when our youngest was a toddler so we have never CD'ed a newborn before so that should be a new experience!

I borrowed my sister's stash. She has a few NB proraps, kissaluvs o's, and several prefolds. I have added lots of my own......who can resist buying their own! I bought a NB and 2 SM wool covers for nighttime, several KL0's, more NB covers, and various sizes of prefolds. I have also been sewing some NB and SM fitteds that I hope will work. I have my cloth wipes from last time. I found a couple of small Fuzzi Bunz and a NB Diaperap at the thrift store. I was totally excited! I am not sure how the FB will work on a newborn but I love them when they are older. I also picked up a flip top trash can at Target today to use as a diaper pail.

I think I have completed my NB stash and am about done w/ my small stash. I think all that I am in need of is small covers. Somehow my dsis went straight from NB to Mediums and I am not sure that it will work for me. I know the cover needs to fit well in order to prevent leaks at night and she always had problems at night so she used sposies. Maybe the fit of the cover was causing leaks??? I don't know.
#71 of 147 Old 09-06-2007, 03:21 AM

DD1 was a super heavy wetter - especially overnight. The only thing that worked for her was a good hemp diaper, 4-5 hemp doublers, and a wool cover. I still remember the first morning she woke up dry on the outside - cd'ing success! lol
#72 of 147 Old 09-06-2007, 09:10 AM

I second the hemp. I bought some one-size hemp contour diaps from a WAHM on Etsy (I can post the link if you like, I'm not sure what's allowed) and some hemp doublers, and they work great for nighttime. Fleece covers also work well for night.
#73 of 147 Old 09-06-2007, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the info on hemp diapers. I hadn't thought of them.....hmm....something else to look for!! I really, really, really want to be able to use cloth at night also. There is just something so darn satisfying about walking past the diaper aisle at the store.
#74 of 147 Old 09-06-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljnance View Post
Thanks for the info on hemp diapers. I hadn't thought of them.....hmm....something else to look for!! I really, really, really want to be able to use cloth at night also. There is just something so darn satisfying about walking past the diaper aisle at the store.
I know! I always get a huge kick out of walking past the diaper/baby food/formula aisle at the grocery store and saying loudly, "Nope, we don't need anything down that aisle!" I don't know why.

You can also look into Happy Hempys and Hemparoos inserts for pocket diapers -- I just use them as doublers in my contour diaps for nighttime. Hemp can be expensive, but it's worth it.
#75 of 147 Old 09-06-2007, 02:06 PM
g&a

Wow, I am envious of everyone who's already good a good start on their stash! Due to DH probably changing jobs soon we don't have the extra cash, so I haven't bought a single dipe. I'm looking at some of the used ones on TP and am thinking of getting a variety of used small dipes to try out, and then decide what I want. That seems to be the consensus on how to go about it if you're a newbie. Ug....in a way I wish there were less choices, but then what fun would that be!

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#76 of 147 Old 09-06-2007, 05:01 PM

queenbean, could you PM me with the link on the hemp contours? I would love to take a look!
#77 of 147 Old 09-06-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenbean View Post
I know! I always get a huge kick out of walking past the diaper/baby food/formula aisle at the grocery store and saying loudly, "Nope, we don't need anything down that aisle!" I don't know why.
Glad I am not the only one!! It is amazing the amount of $$ that you could spend on those things. I am glad that we choose not to!

I think I have some hemp fleece in my fabrics from diaper sewing for our youngest dd. Maybe I will have to do some experimenting to see if I can make something that will work.
#78 of 147 Old 09-07-2007, 01:58 AM

Anybody have a diaper bag picked out? I want something simple and DH-worthy. I don't know what works good with cloth, or if there are any different considerations. I just have no idea what to look for in a diaper bag period.

#79 of 147 Old 09-07-2007, 10:11 AM

We used a wool pouch for quick outings - with just a diaper, wool cover and a couple of wipes inside. The pouch made a great changing pad and a nice place to store the dirt dipe afterwards. And, I carried a little squirt bottle of wipe solution (distilled water, aloe vera gel, and tea tree oil) in my purse - for dipe changes and a handy cleaning solution for other messes.

We bought smallish sling-type backpacks from GAP to carry the wool pouch in. Worked great and compatible with wearing baby, too!

Have fun shopping!
#80 of 147 Old 09-07-2007, 10:28 AM

I use the plain black bag that we got from the hospital stuffed with Similac. Hey, it works! We have another one that's bigger and has ducks on it, but we usually don't need one that big, and my husband's not all that comfortable carrying something so cutesy, so we use the other one.
#81 of 147 Old 09-07-2007, 10:43 AM
g&a

All the Real moms I know use backpacks. Not expensive meant-for-diapers backpacks, but just from wherever. Lots of pockets are good. 2 pockets at least on the front - one for sunscreen, extra diaper cream, and the other for toys. I keep extra clothes in a ziploc bag (started this when dd was potty training) and we have a plastic changing pad. I'm not sure how that will work with CDs, as it holds a bunch of diapers but CDs are bulkier than sposies so I don't think it will fit. I will probably have to figure out something else for that. Ug...more to do! Maybe a sewn pouch with everything stuffed in - wipes (and solution?), extra dipes, wetbag.

Hmmm...

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#82 of 147 Old 09-07-2007, 11:30 AM

I think I have picked out hte Lands End Do-It-All diaper bag in either green or baby blue? Probably baby blue! I want to get a matching wetbag and depending on how soft the changing pad it, I may want a seprate changing pad, too! I am considering getting it monogrammed with "R.... Twins" on it, but I"ll probably pass on htat. Wish I could come up with something creative! I thought this diaper bag at $29.95 was reasonable priced and it gets really good reviews! Much better than spending $15 -$20 on the plastic-y one at Wal-Mart that will break in a few months!
#83 of 147 Old 09-07-2007, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenbean View Post
I do this too

This will be my third CDed babe. My first dd, we used sposies and fought terrible (like blistered and bleeding) diaper rash for 2 years. When I was preg with #2, I was on bed rest and found out about cloth (and found MDC!). We used prefold only for the first several months, then slowly got a few fitteds and AIOs. My stash now exists only of prefolds, First Class Baby Gear fitteds and AIOs, and wool covers/soakers. I am going to get a few KL0s for this baby and maybe a few tiny FCBG if I can find them, but my stash is mostly set. I have made a few, but there are a lot of work, and I found I do not like sewing elastic!

I have probably over 100 wipes, we use them all the time - my kids won't blow their noses (neither will I) on anything else. My favorites are 2 sided velour and sherpa/velour (best for poopy bottoms). I have bought some, but mostly make my own. I just use water, or dry ones when we are out.

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
#84 of 147 Old 09-07-2007, 12:37 PM

Does a backpack-type diaper bag work with babywearing? I'm thinking down the road if I'm doing a back carry, how would I carry the diaper back pack?

This is all new to me. :

#85 of 147 Old 09-08-2007, 04:46 PM

Glad to see there is so much talk about CD. I didn't use them w/ DS #1, but are planning on using them w/this baby. I have talked to a lot of mommies who have much experience and have decided to start out with a little variety to see what works best for us. I am planning on getting some Chinese prefolds, a few fitted, and also a few of the grow w/ me diapers. Luckily many of them have offered to let me borrow their smalls b/c I DS was so...big I know it would be hard for me to swallow purchasing sm/newborn that we will only use for a few weeks.
My DH is also not crazy about the CD idea...but think he will learn to like it. Esp. in the sense of saving money. Another reason for me wanting to try a variety to see what works best for both of us.
#86 of 147 Old 09-16-2007, 10:51 PM

Another newbie question:

What are you using for a diaper pail and liner? I'm just not sure where to start looking....

#87 of 147 Old 09-16-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Another newbie question:

What are you using for a diaper pail and liner? I'm just not sure where to start looking....
in our 4+ years of cloth diapering, we've never used a diaper pail. i just use the washer. i'm lazy, i don't want another thing to clean, lol!

when we're on vacation i just use a big MOE wetbag (pail liner?) for the dirties. this is it -- http://www.fuzzibunzstore.com/Pail-L...Eden-p-28.html

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#88 of 147 Old 09-16-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Another newbie question:

I never used a pail. I use a hanging MOE bag on the back of the laundry room door.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#89 of 147 Old 09-16-2007, 11:56 PM

I use a step-on trash can. It has a removeable bucket-type liner that lets me transport the dipes to the washer, and it keeps the smells in (once the solid foods start). It has treated us well.

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#90 of 147 Old 09-17-2007, 08:41 AM

: I use the same as Sara. I keep a bit of baking soda in the bottom but that is more out of habit then any type of smell problem.

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page