Cloth Diapers - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 147 Old 11-18-2007, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matey View Post
ANYWAY--my concern is, do I have enough to start? If i do want to get some kissaluvs should I get them for the next stage? Has anyone used the UTN diapers? If so, with what covers? i know they are bulkier so I figured the Aristocrat would work well over them. I also worry that the 6 bummis are excessive, but I got some as gifts and then again, a good deal on ebay. On FBs, I dont plan on getting any, I know Green Mountain has a new type of AIO that is 100% cotton inside called SposoEasy and I lust over them all the time, but they are 17.50 a diaper!
Hi matey,

I have used the UTN diapers and love them. You are right, they are a bit bulky, which translates into taking them a little longer to dry in the laundry, but the absorbency is worth it. They're nice for longer overnight stretches for that reason. I don't recall the sizes available on those, but I don't think they come in NB size? I think the smalls might devour your babe in the first few weeks, but s/he should grow into them and get lots of use out of them before too much time has gone by.

As far as covers for the UTNs, pull-on wool works great. The 'crat you have will cover them nicely. I've never used a Nikky, but I think that it may work, too. Depends on whether it's a fuller-cut wrap or not. You'll just have to try to see. What type of cover did your friend make you? (Nice friend!)

You asked about your inventory. Do you have any smalls yet? Even if your babe isn't huge, you may find you need to bump him/her up out of the NBs faster than you think.

I like to have 30 NB dipes and 30 SM dipes on hand before baby comes, although I know others differ. Some say you don't need any NBs at all - just go straight to smalls (but even my big 9-ish lb babes swim in smalls); and others say wait to buy the smalls until after your babe comes and you see his build and get a feel for what clicks for you. The problem with that philosophy for me is that those first few weeks are a blur, and when I finally realize I need small dipes, I need them *like now* and would be very put out by having to shop for them and wait for them to come in. Truth be told, I actually sew all my stash now, so that would be even worse time-wise (like a month of sewing for 30 dipes), but I did buy them ready-made with my first couple of kids in dipes, and remember how time-consuming and overwhelming online dipe shopping can be.

Wow, that is one rambling post. Hope it all makes sense...
#122 of 147 Old 11-18-2007, 11:49 PM

Quote:
ANYWAY--my concern is, do I have enough to start?
I'd say you have enough! I had 2 dozen infant prefolds (you have infant, not preemie, right?), 4 bummis wraps, and maybe a few wool wraps and covers last time, and it was plenty. My son stayed in the infant prefolds (snappi'd) for 5 months.

The one thing you might want to do is get some small bummis wraps, rather than just the NB ones. It was nice to have the newborn ones for a while, but even for my little peanut, the newborns only lasted a month or so. But he fit in the smalls for AGES!! He never outgrew the mediums---they still fit when he went out of diapers.

Do you have any wipes? Snappis? Just some other things that might come in handy to go along with your stash.

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#123 of 147 Old 11-19-2007, 03:16 PM

allnaturalmama -

I checked green mountain and they list that they have UTN in newborn, and that is what the ones I got were listed as on ebay, so hopefully they will work. My friend knitted me a really pretty cream colored cover, it looks very nice! I dont have any small diapers yet. I think my mom will get me the infant prefolds for christmas and I recently won 4 small bummis on ebay. You are right though, I should probably start thinking about smalls before the time runs out. I too have read some people say not to bother with newborn sizes, but then I have seen the infant sizes on new babies and they are SO big! So, I figured I might as well do the newborn too.

Simplehome - I have two dozen newborn prefolds and, hopefully with the help of my mother at Christmas, 3 dozen infant prefolds. I would like to get some wipes, and I do have 4 snappis. Although, I really dont like snappis...but I understand they seem safer then pins, and I am really clumsy, but I still dont like them.

Looks like I need to start thinking about the small size. Thanks ladies!
#124 of 147 Old 11-19-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
allnaturalmama -

I checked green mountain and they list that they have UTN in newborn, and that is what the ones I got were listed as on ebay, so hopefully they will work. My friend knitted me a really pretty cream colored cover, it looks very nice! I dont have any small diapers yet. I think my mom will get me the infant prefolds for christmas and I recently won 4 small bummis on ebay. You are right though, I should probably start thinking about smalls before the time runs out. I too have read some people say not to bother with newborn sizes, but then I have seen the infant sizes on new babies and they are SO big! So, I figured I might as well do the newborn too.
It's been several years since I bought my UTNs, so I wouldn't be surprised that either my recollection was wrong, or that they introduced a new size since I last shopped them.

I don't think you'll regret starting with NB size at all. Like I said earlier, my babes have all been on the big side (9ish lbs), but if I had put them directly into smalls, we would have had TONS of leaks in the first weeks because smalls are really big on NBs, even biggish NBs.
#125 of 147 Old 11-19-2007, 07:16 PM

We are planning to use cloth and wash them ourselves, as even if we HAD a diaper service out here it wastes just as many natural resorces as disposables; just in water and soap pollutants-unless you find one that doesn't use Chlorine. As long as you don't use Chlorine, they are ALWAYS healthier for baby

I am collecting:
24 unbleached indian prefolds (will become doublers later)
3 size 0 kissaluvs
2 small aristocrat wool soakers
1 small fuzzibunz pocket diaper (as cover and "going out) diaper)
2 newborn Pro-wrap covers (for over Kissaluvs)
2 x-small Thirsties covers
snappies
Cloth wipes (some Kissaluvs I think)

Some of these will only be good for 3 months or so, but others should get me into the summer.
I already have the Fuzzibunz and Kissaluvs; they are SO CUTE!

ROFL...who would have thought that the DIAPERS would be the cutest thing I have for my baby?!
:

Mother of 2 boys, new little one on the way
#126 of 147 Old 11-25-2007, 11:46 PM

hey all-

i'm FINALLY up and going with this CD thing. i have KL0s and GMD PFs on their way, and MIL is knitting a bunch of different wool soakers.

just for kicks, though, i'm thinking of picking up one or two used AIOs or pockets, just to see how i like them. i don't want to use either of them full time with a nb, but maybe down the road, they might work best for us. what are the brands of AIOs or pockets that you think would be best to try with a newborn or an infant?

and (i x-posted this question over in the diapering forum)-- i know the KL0s have the little fold-down jobbie thing for the umbilicus- do i also need to ask MIL to make a soaker or two with a little button down thing-a-ma-jig to protect the stump area? any advice is appreciated!

peace,
hcm

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#127 of 147 Old 11-26-2007, 12:25 AM

I'm just excited that I can finally say I've started a "stash." (Yay for craigslist!) What do you think? I know this is probably not enough. What do you think I should add? I'll get more small covers. I want to try a few brands and see what I like best.

1 dozen GMD newborn prefolds and 1 dozen GMD infant prefolds on the way.
5 NB proraps
1 XS Very Baby AIO
1 Small Very Baby AIO
2 Small proraps
2 Small fuzzibunz
1 Small Very Baby simply nights fitted

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#128 of 147 Old 12-01-2007, 11:30 PM

: I got my prefolds today!! I'm so excited....they're in the washer. The fact that I was so excited I had to post about it makes me a CDing nerd, doesn't it?

#129 of 147 Old 12-01-2007, 11:42 PM

i am totally there with ya! i got some kissaluvs in the mail this week (gotta love diaperswappers), and i'm making everyone touch them. no one quite understands how this can be so exhilarating for me, but it is! i am still waiting to get my pfs- i've registered for some as christmas presents, but i notice no one wants to buy me dipes, cause all the other baby stuff is gone, and my lonely diapers are still up there. if my family realized how excited i got over prefolds, maybe they'd actually buy them for me!

happy washing! i hope i get to do that soon, too.

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#130 of 147 Old 12-02-2007, 06:28 PM

i recently set up the changing table, including stocking it up with my newborn/smallish stash. it looks great and my dd saw it and said, "Nice set, mama!" when dp came home she grabbed him to show him, "look at mama's new set. look, look." validation from a 3.75-year-old.
#131 of 147 Old 12-02-2007, 06:30 PM

awww, that's so cute!
#132 of 147 Old 12-02-2007, 10:49 PM

im excited about cding a newborn again! i sold a lot of my nice diapers after dd got big, but i kept a few and ive bought some on the tp.. i have about 20 fitteds..all sorts..and a few prefolds, snappis and a ton of woolens (because i love to knit).. i did a lot of ECing with my daughter so i didn't use a ton of diapers, but they were nice to have..and SO cute. i plan to EC again this time, but with a toddler and a 5 year old i may not do as well
i wish i had more $$ to spend on cute diapers, but alas we are very low on funds this season, so ill have to make do.

ETA: my daughter who is just 2 loves playing with them.. we have them in a little cloth shelf thing on the wall and every day she takes them out and unsnapps them all and takes out the insides and sometimes when she cant get the snaps undone she asks for the scissors "to cut it"
she likes trying them on the dollies and sometimes wants them put on her..but none of them fit because she is 2 and they are teeny.. its very sweet though and i cant wait to try them on this wee baby!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#133 of 147 Old 12-04-2007, 12:02 PM

okay, i have GOT to stop stalking the DS website. i've got my PFs and inserts/doublers, my KL0s, a few other fitteds to try, and i just picked up a few tie nappies that i think would be neat with a PF as a doubler overnight once the baby is older (guess we'll see) and a couple of bamboo PFs. and MIL is still cranking out the soakers and longies.

i need to leave the website alone for now and focus on other stuff! but it's so tempting to log on and look at all the yummy other dipes! i know i need to wait and see what kinds of diapers work best for us before buying any more, and i'm just wasting time now... but they're just so cute and fun to look at!:

anyone else have my problem, or am i total loserdweeb?
hcm

#134 of 147 Old 12-04-2007, 12:24 PM

Yup, I have to stay away from the FSOT part of DS.

DH was so cute the other day. We finally got some Snappis and I was practicing putting a GMD newborn prefold on one of the girls' dolls. I'd told him some of the silly stories about things other DH's on the DS had done with diapers and how a lot of the women bought special easy diapers just for their husbands to use, he thought it was ridiculous so when he saw he practicing he said, "Give that to me." and proceeded to do an excellent job snappi-ing the prefold on that doll his first try. Now he just has to remember which diapers need covers and which don't and figure out the wash routine and he'll be all set. Of course -I- will also be having to figure out the wash routine since every one seems to have a different opinion and some of them get kinda complicated.
#135 of 147 Old 12-04-2007, 01:47 PM

No, no I'm still stalking the FSOT too. I don't have THAT many diapers yet though, and I have almost no inserts/doublers (recommendations?) I got some pocket/AIO-friendly detergent yesterday so I can finally wash my VERY few dipes that fit into that category

ETA: OH and I don't have any snappis or pins yet, so I need to get some and start practicing!

#136 of 147 Old 12-04-2007, 02:36 PM

I didn't think I was going to get any new diapers for this baby, since I've got, I think 2 dozen infant prefolds, and some 0KLs left from DD (and plenty of diapers for baby to grow into, as well) but I found bumgenius diapers at Whole Foods last week and I'm in love :

I've got an addiction. Anyone know of a 12 step program for CDing?

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#137 of 147 Old 12-04-2007, 03:09 PM

"I've got an addiction. Anyone know of a 12 step program for CDing?"

I would so totally join if they did... or maybe I wouldn't.... I secretly love my addiction.
#138 of 147 Old 12-04-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCoreMom View Post
anyone else have my problem, or am i total loserdweeb?
LOL, mamas, I'm right there with ya.

I have to admit, my forum downfall on DS is All Things Wool. I knit and sew all my own covers, but I still can't help drooling over all that beautiful fluff.
#139 of 147 Old 12-04-2007, 08:21 PM

I think I'm worse!! Not only do I stalk on DS regularly, but I set my homepage to HC's daily calender!!!

And I can't seem to make it past row two on my longies pattern, and I'm still putting in a big mongo PureWool order for their holiday sale!!! (wanna jump on?) I WILL figure out knitting at some point, I swear!!!!
#140 of 147 Old 12-04-2007, 08:38 PM

Right there with you. My nb stash is insanely large and what makes it even more crazy is that I have big babes that grow at crazy rates so they are in nb sizes for no time at all. Right now I have, oh roughly 48 dipes (not inlcuding covers and wool) in the newborn size. Oh and 12 orange edge prefolds. Yeah. Its insane.

I tell myself that its good to have that many in case things are crazy and he is a heavy wetter and needs to be changed more than every hour and I get behind on laundry. But really, its because I have a slight addiction to those teeny tiny dipes.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#141 of 147 Old 12-04-2007, 08:54 PM

i can't express how happy i am to not be the only one experiencing these overwhelming addictions to cloth diapering.

i am trying SOOOO hard to stay away from DS today. no luck. at least i've convinced myself not to buy anything anymore, till we learn whether we like pfs or fitteds better.

my name is hcm, and i'm a cd-a-holic.

#142 of 147 Old 12-04-2007, 09:42 PM

i'm a loserdweeb too!

i went through a month or two of total obsession. i seriously dreamed about diapers for many nights. i think i ran out of expendable money one month and finally was able to rein it in. now i just knit soakers (and other stuff) from my existing yarn stash and that has helped to fill the void
#143 of 147 Old 12-04-2007, 10:35 PM

It looks like we're in good company! I added embroidery designs to 1/2 of our prefolds with some really cool glow in the dark thread, and bought a tyedie kit from Dharma Trading so dd and I can make the rest pretty while she's on her break from school. I have some hemp I'm going to serge into mama-cloth, so we might just dye that, too. 4 more newborn sized wool covers to finish up, and then I'll start on the smalls. I sooooo wish I could knit or crochet!
#144 of 147 Old 12-04-2007, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Exactly, there is no cure nor do I want one (but dh might ).

I have to get our playroom cleaned out and organized this week, then my reward is that i am going to get all teh diapers out! I have bought a few KL0s and FCB 0s, but other than that my newborn stash has already diapered 2 babies so it is fine.

I don't knit, but my MIL and GMIL both do, and if I buy the yarn, they are happy to knit for me. I have some hummingbird malabrigo (yummy yellow and purple) on its way to me, I can not wait untill that gets here!

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
#145 of 147 Old 12-05-2007, 12:52 AM

jess, that malabrigo yarn is awesome. MIL bought a bunch of it in different colors. i have one of them that i'm going to try to crochet into a soaker once i finish up the outfit i'm crocheting now, but she's already finished one pair of shorties and it worked up so nicely!

#146 of 147 Old 12-05-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkshamrocks View Post
It looks like we're in good company! I added embroidery designs to 1/2 of our prefolds with some really cool glow in the dark thread, and bought a tyedie kit from Dharma Trading so dd and I can make the rest pretty while she's on her break from school. I have some hemp I'm going to serge into mama-cloth, so we might just dye that, too. 4 more newborn sized wool covers to finish up, and then I'll start on the smalls. I sooooo wish I could knit or crochet!
btw, where did you get the hemp?? I really need some new breastpads and PP cloth, and mattress pad or two for our Amby.

I splurged yesterday and got this:
http://hyenacart.com/prod_details.php?id=61390&vid=836
I don't buy a lot new, but I couldn't resist! If my PP tree were endless I'd have a whole stash of them

And since I can't knit yet, I stocked up on antipill fleece remnants and have been making MHM covers out the ears!!

Soo... let's see some stash pics!!
#147 of 147 Old 12-05-2007, 12:21 PM

I buy mine from The Snap Store. I've been buying snaps there for over 5 years now, so I can highly recommend them. Here's a link: http://thesnapstore.com/catalog/prod...0d1383fea27e47 Anything 5 yards and over is discounted. hth!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page