Cloth Diapers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 147 Old 05-21-2007, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So how many are planning to use cloth diapers? Those of you that are mommas already, how many of you use CD and what kinds? Any advice for us newbies?

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#2 of 147 Old 05-21-2007, 01:23 PM

I plan on using them. My first two were in disposables mostly because my mother used cloth with my youngest brother and I hated having to change them. Luckily they seem quite different now (no rubber pants!) but there are so many options that I'm feeling overwhelmed.
#3 of 147 Old 05-21-2007, 02:16 PM

We currently use cloth and plan to continue using cloth with this one.

I use kissaluvs size 0 in the beginning then use Mother Ease one size dipes for the rest of the time. DS is a huge boy so I did have to switch to the toddler ease dipes for him since he outgrew the one size but I think that is because he is so big. For night time I just add a fleece liner, a doubler, and I use an Aristocrat cover. Covers for daytime are the Mother ease airflow covers. I have also used loveybums wool covers and stacinator wool covers. But I keep going to back to the ME covers.

cloth!!

~~Mama to DS1 6/05 and DS2 12/07~~
#4 of 147 Old 05-21-2007, 02:31 PM

I used cloth with both of mine. With Lacy I started out w/ 6 FB to try out, and then bough a whole stash when she moved to mediums. With Laina I bought NB, then smalls b/c I knew I wanted to CD from day 1. Her first dipe was a lavender KL0 I have 3 KL0s left over from Laina (the lavender one, a green and a blue) and I have a bunch of PFs, so I am going to get a couple of covers for those. Then my main stash will be pockets that I plan to make. I want both NB and size small. I bought 6 XS FB used this weekend, and plan to use those to size my pattern correctly (I hve the Very Baby pattern). I want to make about 15-20 newborn sized pockets. My girlfriend just made 24 smalls for her baby due in July, so I will use those when he outgrows them. I still need to get some more hemp inserts, though. Here is my list if I were to start from scratch:

24 pockets
30 inserts
30 velour/flannel wipes
2 wetbags for hte diaper bag
matching changing pad
2 large diaper pail liners (easily made w/ some PUL, even if you don't sew much, 2 straight seems and a hem!)

That would be my ideal stash, plus a dozen or so prefolds and a snappi for emergencies, and maybe one cover? I like the BSWW over prefolds in the newborn size.
#5 of 147 Old 05-21-2007, 03:31 PM

I use Cloth right now with Aidan. We started out with a diaper service when he was born so I missed out on the cute newborn fluff.. then I found the pin and OMG!! So not I am basically a pocket user but I have tried everything within my price range. SO I am going to attempt to convert some of my infant prefolds to prefitteds and then maybe get a new newborn stash after the birth since we won't be finding out the sex until then. And I have all of Aidan's Med and hopefully some larges soon so I won't be spending as much as I did when I first started out. I am a wool addict so I also learned how to knit.
#6 of 147 Old 05-21-2007, 04:53 PM

I CD'd my second from birth. Since I tend to have big babes I decided to start with infant prefolds instead of newborn ones, but they did end up being a bit big at first. I borrowed some Kissaluvs for that newborn stage until the prefolds weren't massive on him anymore (about 4 weeks I think).

I did pretty much exclusive prefolds until about 4 months when he was big enough for the size M All Together Diaper AIOs I got in a co-op. When he moved into the L size I invested in a few pocket diapers (which are my favorites for the can't-hold-still toddler stage.)

I love the simplicity of a prefold and a wool cover though, so that's what we use most of the time. I try and save the pockets for nighttime, since I only have about 4 or 5 and they work best for overnight.
#7 of 147 Old 05-21-2007, 05:13 PM

We are planning on cloth diapering, although DH is feeling unsure. He is worried about it being too hard or not as healthy for the baby. I think I have him convinced on the the health aspects. What I have proposed, and he is comfortable with, is me sewing a stash out of recycled fabric and giving it a try. That way, if it ends up not being for us, we haven't made a financial investment. That's fine with me -- we have a ton of old clothes and fabric that I think would be suitable. He asked if I could make the ones that are shaped like disposables and have velcro. He's super scared about using diaper pins. I feel really sure about CDs, but am keeping an open mind about it for his sake. I don't want our decisions to be made by one of us, but both of us together.

So, anyone have a link to a good, free pattern for newborn fitted diapers?
#8 of 147 Old 05-21-2007, 05:21 PM

I use Cloth with DD. If I'm preggo I will use cloth again. I did KLs last time, but won't again. They dont absorb much at all. My dd grew huge quick. I'm planning to use infant prefolds trifolded in the gdiaper covers or snappid with wool. Until we are into mediums. Then I will be using my own sewn pockets or fitteds.

I plan on having 3 dozen infant prefolds ( I can use them as pocket stuffers later) and 4 gdiaper covers and more wool than I can count.

I may use gdiaper flushables overnight or 'sposies. I didn't with my daughter, but recently have had to start as we couldn't keep her from breaking out in a rash overnight. She was a very heavy wetter and I don't want to have the what will work to keep her dry battle this time around.
#9 of 147 Old 05-21-2007, 05:26 PM

I've been cding ds for over a year now and love it. Even dh loves it and it was nearly a marriage breaker there for awhile (until we tried it).

I have 20 pockets, most bumGenius, then Mommy's Touch, then FB. I prefer the Mommy's touch right now. I like one size, makes me feel like I'm saving more money.

I plan on getting a few more as ds won't be out of them yet most likely. I may try some prefolds, but I won't lie, I'm rather lazy.

Kimber
#10 of 147 Old 05-21-2007, 05:53 PM

We started out with disposable because my grandmother gave us a year supply as a baby gift when DD#1 was born. We just assumed we'd stick with that. Then DD#2 was born exactly the time our one year supply ended, and we suddenly had to pay for 2 in disposables. After about five months of $60/month in disposables, I decided to switch. That was about six months ago.

We currently use prefolds which I trimmed down to contour diapers, with several different covers (mostly BSWW). I just recently bought a couple of used Rumpster's AIOs to test out. I wasn't incredibly impressed with the bindings, but I've kind of used the pattern to create my own AIO. The plan is for me to make my own stash of AIOs before the next baby comes.

I do laundry every other day, so I've been totally fine with 24 infant prefolds for my baby and 18 premium prefolds for my toddler (but I've never CD'd a newborn before). Both my girls fit in the same size cover, so I've got about a dozen of those.

I must admit though, if we could afford it, I'd stick with the disposables. I hate doing laundry in general, and I especially hate scraping poop off my girls diapers, and removing stains. It's just so much easier to throw the diaper away... I'm also planning on using disposables on the baby until the meconium is gone... I just know I won't have the energy to deal with staining, or laundry in general for a couple of weeks. Also, DH still refuses to change cloth diapers... : so as long as they're in cloth, I'm changing at least a dozen diapers a day. When this new baby comes, that'll jump to more than 18 diapers a day.

Emily
#11 of 147 Old 05-21-2007, 07:56 PM

I cd my two kids pt, the other I use sposies. I'm trying to potty train them now (but OH the resistance!). I didn't use cloth from birth with them though, I only learned that there were options to the diaper service when my youngest was... Well, he was older, I don't remember the age

For this baby I want to use only cloth from the beginning. To make that work, I have decided to be honest with myself. I need a LOT of diapers. If I only have a day's worth of diapers, I am not going to stick to it. Not if we are still in a place with no washer/dryer hookup. So, I am going to make at least two days' worth of diapers. I used mainly fitteds with covers for my boys but I'm going to switch to mainly AIOs and pockets for this baby. I'll still make fitteds too, but I need ease Plus, my fitteds and covers never fit right under clothing, if at all. I have small babies too so I'm going to make some preemie diapers if I can find a pattern. My goals:

24 preemie dipes
36 infant dipes
36 medium dipes
Wipes (haven't figured out how many yet)
3 wetbags (one for home, one for diaper bag, one extra)
Some doublers (haven't figured that number out either)

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#12 of 147 Old 05-21-2007, 08:40 PM

I've used cloth for both my kids. I've tried a bunch of different types but in the end I've found I really prefer just plain pre-folds and wraps. Cheap, simple, easy! For night time I used super-stuffed Fuzzi-Bunz. When I first started I got a sampler pack from http://greenmountaindiapers.com/ she also has good info on the site.

My dh was skeptical at first, too but he's a total convert now. Especially b/c we won't have to buy any diapers for this new lil one! (although I might anyway, just 'cuz )

Quote:
I'm also planning on using disposables on the baby until the meconium is gone
I actually found that I didn't have any meconium staining at all, just fyi. Also I don't do any poop scraping until they start solid foods! But I totally understand being overwhelmed by all those diapers! Would your dh change an all-in-one?

Mama to Boy (10) Other Boy (7) and Girl (4)   mdcblog5.gif in my profile!

#13 of 147 Old 05-21-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillybean View Post
I actually found that I didn't have any meconium staining at all, just fyi. Also I don't do any poop scraping until they start solid foods! But I totally understand being overwhelmed by all those diapers! Would your dh change an all-in-one?
This is going to be a stupid question I'm sure, but how do you handle the poo? It doesn't go straight into the washer does it? I keep thinking about how messy my youngest daughter's BF poo was.
#14 of 147 Old 05-21-2007, 09:05 PM

Yep, we CD with pockets, fuzzi bunz and ones I've made my ds#2, we will be doing this one from day 1. I was going to make them, but I just haven't been able to master the tiny newborn ones, so I'll just be making them once s/he is older. I'm starting to buy a few each month now just so I won't be bombarded with a huge cost at once. DH asked me the other day, "We'll be CD'ing this one right?" He loves how easy it is and how cheap it is.

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#15 of 147 Old 05-21-2007, 09:44 PM

I will prob use gdiapers for the first few days and then switch to cloth. I have prefolds, motherease, AIOs and a few fitteds. I have a cute little newborn Born at Home diaper I can't wait to use again :
#16 of 147 Old 05-21-2007, 10:02 PM

Everybody always asks about the poo!!

With babies who have not started solids, you just put the diaper in the washer. With toddlers/babies on solids, I use the Imse Vimse rice-paper liner insert thingies that go between baby's bottom and the diaper. When they poo, you just pull the paper off and flush it! Simple!

My wash usually goes like this:

Cold soak/wash/rinse/spin cycle (no detergent). Add detergent (only 1/2 recommended amount of Nellies Laundry Soda for a large load. Less if smaller load) HOT wash/cold rinse/spin. Dry on low.

Basically my first cycle rinses the poo/stuff out of the diapers and washer. Then the second cycle does the cleaning. I have never had a problem with poo!!

We use FB's exclusively on DD (4 mo old) and for night diapering with DS#2 (2.5 yrs old). During the day, DS#2 uses Bumkins which we love for him, but don't fit DD quite right.

Basically, the best advice I got was to try the trial packs that cloth diaper stores offer or only purchase one/two of each kind/type at a time so you can try them out and see which ones you like. Of course, when you have a new baby, it's pretty difficult to do. IME, the easiest to get accustomed to and use have been the FB's.

The more research/reading you do the more you'll get to know the different brands and what will work for you as well as little tips! For example, Happy Hieny prints are well-known for leaking through and are best for day use, but the solids have a pretty good reputation. If your FB's begin to leak, dry them on hot to reseal the waterproofing (FYI, I've never had to do this.). If you put lemon juice on your dipes and put them in the sun it will bleach your stains out. You can strip your dipes in the dishwasher if they begin to repel. Allen's Naturally and Charlie's detergent are supposed to be the best for cloth diapering, but some kids have reactions to Charlie's. If your child is a heavy wetter, they may need different inserts.

I suggest joining diaperswappers.com as well...GREAT info and GREAT used dipes for good prices as well if you're on a budget! (Just treat the transaction as if you were on Ebay and make sure you see pictures and get all the info, etc!)

HTH! Good luck! I love my CD's!
#17 of 147 Old 05-22-2007, 12:06 AM

We arent this time. I did with dd and ds#2. But, we have 5 adults and will have 4 children in the house and a dog, a cat, and 2 fish and I just do not have the time or energy to wash. I mean, okay, if I could get another washer and dryer in the house but with 1 washer and 1 dryer and this many people, someone is ALWAYS washing clothes and its hard enough to get regular clothes washed so I had to give up my diapers.. I really miss them!!! But I just cannot put myself through that again.. I was seriously going insane!
#18 of 147 Old 05-22-2007, 01:28 AM

We used cloth with dd and will again with this one. We really liked the fuzzibunz but I might branch out a little more this time, I'm really excited to knit some soakers and longies for this one as I didn't know how to knit when dd was a baby.
#19 of 147 Old 05-22-2007, 01:52 AM

I used disposables with my son until he was one then switched to cloth diapers. i used them until recently. My favorites were the Bumpkins AOIs, but i usually needed extra absorbancy in them. I have recently found gdiapers. you can check them out on gdiapers.com. I haven't found anyone else yet who is using them. I got them at Whole Foods, but they are available online as well. They are cotton washable covers with flushable inserts made out of wood pulp and cellulose, so they can be flushed with regular waste down the toilet or they can be composted. Has anyone else used them? (they are supposed to be clorine free as well)
#20 of 147 Old 05-22-2007, 03:24 AM

Nico deMouse,Seriously, coming from a mom who has made many, many diapers herself, don't think that you can give cloth diapers a fair shot when you are making the first set you ever use yourself -- especially out of random fabrics. I totally understand the desire to be frugal when experimenting and most certainly the need to recycle, but getting the right fit/absorbancy is a little tricky. I would recommend just getting a few from the trading post to sample. Some people love fitteds (like your husband). I personally find them to be great for newborns but really like the simplicity and washability of prefolds with wool covers. You really need to experiment with the "real" stuff before you can sucessfully design your own for home sewing. Otherwise, you may end up with a diaper that leaks or has a wonky fit. You won't be sold on cloth with that as an initial experience. I think that cottonbabies.com has a newbie sampler pack. If you find that cloth is not for you, these diapers actually have an amazing resale value. We cloth loving ladies are rather obsessive and stalk for good fluff. Check them out. By the way, a set of 2 dozen prefolds will only set you back about $30. Not bad at all.

Christina, loving being a Mama to three and serving as a Co-Leader of the Holistic Moms Network, Tri-City Area, CA Chapter.

#21 of 147 Old 05-22-2007, 07:43 AM

Christina,

Thank you for the tips! Really, I am so new to this that I need all the help I can get...off to check the website you mentioned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbyard View Post
Nico deMouse,Seriously, coming from a mom who has made many, many diapers herself, don't think that you can give cloth diapers a fair shot when you are making the first set you ever use yourself -- especially out of random fabrics. I totally understand the desire to be frugal when experimenting and most certainly the need to recycle, but getting the right fit/absorbancy is a little tricky. I would recommend just getting a few from the trading post to sample. Some people love fitteds (like your husband). I personally find them to be great for newborns but really like the simplicity and washability of prefolds with wool covers. You really need to experiment with the "real" stuff before you can sucessfully design your own for home sewing. Otherwise, you may end up with a diaper that leaks or has a wonky fit. You won't be sold on cloth with that as an initial experience. I think that cottonbabies.com has a newbie sampler pack. If you find that cloth is not for you, these diapers actually have an amazing resale value. We cloth loving ladies are rather obsessive and stalk for good fluff. Check them out. By the way, a set of 2 dozen prefolds will only set you back about $30. Not bad at all.
#22 of 147 Old 05-22-2007, 08:11 AM

I used cloth for my son--mostly pockets stuffed with newborn prefolds or hemp inserts and a couple of large prefolds. Now that I am good at doing prefolds (using pins--I hate Snappis), for this one I will probably just use prefolds and covers (combo of wool and PUL) and I may get some fitteds as well. I have about a dozen small fuzzi bunz that ds didn't get a chance to use because he was really big. I will maybe use those at night and when we go out. I want a simple, no fuss diapering system this time. I'm glad that I've got my wash routine down too. That took forever!!

One cycle with no detergent, cold water and bac-out
One long hot cycle with detergent

And that's it!

I'm definitely devoted to cloth.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#23 of 147 Old 06-09-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloise24 View Post
So how many are planning to use cloth diapers? Those of you that are mommas already, how many of you use CD and what kinds? Any advice for us newbies?
this will be my 3rd cloth diapered baby. i think it's easy if not EASIER than disposables (we did those the first 3mo with #1, before we moved & had a w/d, lol).

this is a great site -----> http://www.newtoclothdiapers.com/

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#24 of 147 Old 06-09-2007, 01:04 PM

We've been using cloth for about 7 months now. I mostly use homemade pocket contour diaps with covers, but I have a few self-contained pockets (two Swaddlebees, a Blueberry which sucks, and a Starbunz which is the best diaper EVER).

I hear that with newborns, if you don't want to be using stained diaps, you should use sposies for the first few days because of the meconium. Haven't been there yet. I personally do'nt care about stains -- all my daughter's diapers are stained anyway because she's addicted to blueberries. So I'll probably use cloth right away, and just have stains. It's up to you.
#25 of 147 Old 06-09-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenbean View Post
I hear that with newborns, if you don't want to be using stained diaps, you should use sposies for the first few days because of the meconium.
we used cloth from day 1 on #2, adn we had no staining issues. we used fancy prefolds, aios, pokets, and prefolds those first few days, and everything was fine.

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#26 of 147 Old 06-09-2007, 01:24 PM

I used cloth part time with my Dd and all the time with Ds(he is still in dipes). The next baby will be in cloth too, of course. I use a mix of PFs with covers and AIOs.

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#27 of 147 Old 06-09-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico DeMouse View Post
We are planning on cloth diapering, although DH is feeling unsure...He asked if I could make the ones that are shaped like disposables and have velcro. He's super scared about using diaper pins. I feel really sure about CDs, but am keeping an open mind about it for his sake. I don't want our decisions to be made by one of us, but both of us together.
I STRONGLY recommend folks get snappis instead of pins. They're cheap, they're fast, they're easy, and if it weren't for them my dh would never have changed a cloth diaper.

I'm expecting our 7th and at one point had three in cloth diapers. IME prefolds are by far the easiest diapering method. They dry really fast on the line or in the dryer. Beyond this they don't have velcro that sticks to everything in the dryer, makes noise that can wake a baby during middle of the night diaper changes, and gets crudded up so you have to spend time picking the lint out of the hook tape.

I think wrap covers are best for men and those new to cloth diapering as they go on like disposables.

To keep prices down call your local La Leche League groups and birth centers to see if they're having fundraising rummage sales.

~BV
#28 of 147 Old 06-09-2007, 03:29 PM

I make my own And i drafted my own pattern called fattycakes.
You can see pics in my stash link in my siggy. Although the most recent ones are the ones I sold on hyenacart.

I never did use them for the meconium time. I'd rather not clean that sticky mess.
#29 of 147 Old 06-09-2007, 04:12 PM

I've used cloth diapers on DS since birth. 95% of mine are made by me or someone else
#30 of 147 Old 06-09-2007, 10:56 PM

I have used cloth with DD since she was born. And she came out covered in meconium! I do "cheat" and use 'sposies when we are out and about now, because at 17 months, she is incredibly impatient and wriggly. I use prefolds and Bummis wrap covers--cheap, hard-working and super easy. My DH doesn't mind using them, and even my parents, who have nightmares of CDing me, like them. I second the rave about Snappis: so quick!

I started with 36 infant prefolds and 6 small Bummis covers; I now use 24 premium-sized prefolds, and 6 medium Bummis. At 30 lbs, DD is just about to need the large size Bummis. I also have about 10 doublers, a couple of wool covers, and a fleece cover which I love for nightime. I have 4 organic cotton fitted diapers for overnights, too. Oh, and I made about 30 microfleece liners to help keep poops off my dipes.

One sanity-saving tool: a diaper sprayer, like a small showerhead that hooks onto your toilet. I got mine for about 40 bucks canadian, and it has been a godsend.

I got all my stuff at www.jamtots.com, a neat local WAHM site. They ship lots to the US, and their website has everything in both currencies.

Andrea, DD 03/24/06, EDD 13-15th Jan 08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page