Weekly thread! June 4-June 10 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 75 Old 06-09-2007, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirulina&Sage View Post
we are back from our camping trip.. im glad to be home. getting up to pee 3 times in the night in the freezing cold and rain to pee outside is notsomuchfun.
Yay, I'm glad you're back! I can't even imagine the pain of going out to pee in that weather. How annoying! And speaking of going pee... lol. I had this long thought process last night after going pee & then laying there with my usual insomnia. It's difficult for me to get up 3 times a night to pee without disturbing xeowyn, so sometimes I lay there & try to make sure he's deeply asleep 1st & sometimes I give up & just take him with me. If I get up to pee without him & he realizes it, he screeches & cries "BooooB! BoooooooB!" So I slung him over my shoulder & peed one handed with him on my lap.

As I sat there in the dark with him on my lap using the toilet , I was thinking about how much work it is to have kids close in age (of course it's work with any number of kids of any age, but I was pondering being pregnant & yet still having to care for my toddler...) & I was thinking about mamas with many kids or several close in age & thinking about how much work goes on that no one else ever sees. Like hauling your toddler over your shoulder to pee in the night for example. Just think about all the endless little sacrifices mamas make, all the bits of lost sleep, swallowing her impatience & smiling instead..... Being a mama to several kids, especially closer in age, sure requires a balancing act, & a lot of creativity. And of course endless patience. And being able to find joy in sitting in the darkness peeing with your kid over your shoulder.

That tangent came out of nowhere! All you did was mention pee!

ANYway, today's a sleepy, rainy day. I'm going to make waffles.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#62 of 75 Old 06-09-2007, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonAnne View Post
mmmmm I'm eating a cucumber with salt. I'm trying to increase my salt intake a bit, because I've been getting headaches and feeling lightheaded. Someone mentioned here in one of theheadache threads that my headaches could be blood pressure related. And when I put it together with the lightheadedness, duh.

So, I'm trying to get some extra sodium to help my body make all this extra blood. It doesn't hurt that salted cukes are one of my favorite snacky foods
Ooooo, you know what I've enjoyed recently? A sliced up cold cucumber with salt, pepper & dried dill! Yum! Tomatoes with the same toppings are yummy, too.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#63 of 75 Old 06-10-2007, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
all food is gross to me...i can't stand to eat but I have to or I will get sick and then if I do eat I get sick....

the midwife gave me some high fiber stuff to drink after my meals for constipation, some liquid drink for heartburn and more folic acid...i really hate the first trimester.

my kids are sick of my flatulence and constant burps -- i have become a joke oh here she comes -- watch out she might fart on you or burp...

lolol but all in all its okay its all worth it. I just feel sorry for ds (13 months) cuz my bm is really dwindling and he won't eat much - he just wants to eat yogurt and now he is constipated also...I am gonna try and keep bfing him until the baby comes that way I can tandem nurse.

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

#64 of 75 Old 06-10-2007, 12:44 PM

Well, I woke up this morning and tried to eat some cereal, realized the soy milk had gone bad a week before it was supposed to and ate an ice cream sandwich instead. Then, I laid back down and got on mdc (ah the wonders of off days and kids who play independently in the mornings!) and realized I wasn't nauseous. I was feeling sad and sorry for myself thinking m/c when I realized that I feel sick in the mornings because I don't eat until I get to work most of the time (if even then). So, that's the key, breakfast. However, I am still a little worried so I've decided to not eat until I feel nauseous again. Silly but my m/c happened at 9 weeks last time and my symptoms went away a week before so...

On another note, the milk that went bad was organic soy milk. I don't get organic all the time, is this normal for it to go bad so early? We hadn't used it in about a week or so, it was just about a fourth of it left, and when I shook it to pour on the cereal it was like the carton was full of yogurt. I didn't bother to pour it out as I took a sniff and it was gross. It wasn't supposed to go bad until the 17th.

Yum, now I really want a cucumber with salt!

I agree, there is so much that mamas have to do that just doesn't get recognized. No one thinks about the fact that I can't pee alone, my body is subject to gropes anytime someone is curious about something (and I don't even breastfeed anymore!), and five MILLION times a day I have little voices screeching at me "Mama, Mama, MAAAAAAAMAAAAAA!" I know that before I had kids I never even thought about all the things that mamas go through, like the fact that I now have this automatic reflex to catch throw up, no matter who is doing it. :

Camping, that sounds cool. Though peeing in the rain is certainly not!

I kinda want to find out the sex this time. We didn't with our first two and I had HORRIBLE ppd. I'm hoping to avoid that this time around and was thinking that maybe if I know the sex beforehand I can start working on a relationship with the baby... I don't know. I'm also just kinda curious. This will likely be our last and I'd just like to know. Though, my mw has predicted the sex with heartbeat rates with both my boys and been right both times. So maybe I could get an idea from that? Dh is more against finding out the sex than I am (usually, I don't know how he feels about it with this pregnancy as he's just barely stopped referring to my pregnancy with air quotes. the man was in crazy denial) so I'd have to convince him.

How positive can you be about u/s sex results? I would be so disappointed if I prepared for one sex and got another. I've only had one u/s (a dating u/s with my oldest b/c I was measuring small, he turned out to just be a small baby) so I don't know. If I go that route, should I ask multiple people to say what they think? Maybe ask them for a pic of the parts so I can show it to people? That sounds silly but if I find out the sex I'd want to be 100% sure, I'd be afraid that it would make my ppd worse if I got the opposite sex from what I'd prepared for.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#65 of 75 Old 06-10-2007, 01:10 PM

I've been less sick the last few days too and started to worry a little.....until I realized rolling over in bed wakes me up because my breasts are so sore. MAN they've gotten WORSE this week. So I'm just trying to be grateful for a less queasy tummy and am chalking it up to finally figuring out the perfect diet to avoid morning sickness as much as possible. I hope I'm right anyway.

It sounds like your soymilk was REALLY bad. I got a carton from the store that was that way once. Poured it on my cereal and out came chunks. I think it was just a fluke. On a different note, I remember my mom telling a story about her first trimester when she declared a gallon of (cow's) milk to be bad and everyone else in the family thought it was fine. She refused to drink it, and the next day, it WAS bad. I think we pregnant women can detect that kind of thing earlier than mere mortals.

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#66 of 75 Old 06-10-2007, 01:51 PM

im having very up and down days. the last 2 days ive felt barely functional.. i feel a bit more human on waking today, but we will see.
#67 of 75 Old 06-10-2007, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirulina&Sage View Post
im having very up and down days. the last 2 days ive felt barely functional.. i feel a bit more human on waking today, but we will see.
This is me. I have really rough days and then poof! I'll have a so-so day and then I am back to a pukey day. The dry heaving seems to have slacked off. That's nice since my stomach muscles are super sore from all the time spent hanging over the toilet. Blech.

That was probably TMI.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#68 of 75 Old 06-10-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaLMT View Post
I've been less sick the last few days too and started to worry a little.....until I realized rolling over in bed wakes me up because my breasts are so sore. MAN they've gotten WORSE this week.
Yeah, me too. Mine weren't even sore until this week, but now? OUCHIE!

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#69 of 75 Old 06-10-2007, 06:33 PM

I'm trying not to be discouraged and hang in there. Maybe this is toughest for those of us where food was a big part of one's life? I used to looove to cook and fantasize about what I was gonna make and eat. This is getting annoying. I know tomorrow I'm 7 weeks and everyone's saying the 2nd trimester is better but I don't want to wait that long !

Melanie, vegan mommy to twin girls born Dec. 2007, and another little girl born Sept. 25th, 2009!
#70 of 75 Old 06-10-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMonkey View Post
I'm trying not to be discouraged and hang in there. Maybe this is toughest for those of us where food was a big part of one's life? I used to looove to cook and fantasize about what I was gonna make and eat. This is getting annoying. I know tomorrow I'm 7 weeks and everyone's saying the 2nd trimester is better but I don't want to wait that long !
Yup. I love to cook too and right now I can barely stand to go in the kitchen. I feel so bad for my kids and DH who are existing on what I can throw together quickly or take out.
#71 of 75 Old 06-11-2007, 01:49 AM

Luckily, by dinner I'm feeling better, but breakfast is another story. My kids have had a lot of yoghurt lately (not that that's a bad thing, but it's not particularly filling), because it's easy and quick for me to serve (and it doesn't make me nauseous).

I normally bake bread 3-4 times a week, but I have only baked twice since I got my BFP...5 weeks ago. My dh is in shock...we're going to have to start buying bread again!

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#72 of 75 Old 06-11-2007, 11:17 AM

I have my first appt with the midwife today. I'm unduly nervous as though they are going to laugh at me and say, "pregnant?! You're not pregnant? What were you thinking?!" I realize this is totally irrational of course. I'll feel so much better once I hear a heartbeat or see a baby but I'm trying not to expect that to happen on this visit.
#73 of 75 Old 06-11-2007, 12:57 PM

For those who are subscribed to this thread, come on over to this week's new thread:

Weekly Thread - June 11-17

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#74 of 75 Old 06-11-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttix2 View Post
How positive can you be about u/s sex results? I would be so disappointed if I prepared for one sex and got another. I've only had one u/s (a dating u/s with my oldest b/c I was measuring small, he turned out to just be a small baby) so I don't know. If I go that route, should I ask multiple people to say what they think? Maybe ask them for a pic of the parts so I can show it to people? That sounds silly but if I find out the sex I'd want to be 100% sure, I'd be afraid that it would make my ppd worse if I got the opposite sex from what I'd prepared for.
I think it depends on who does the u/s. I had u/s with both my babies, the u/s tech told me both times I was having a girl and both times she was right. When I was in labor in the hospital with #1, the nurse looked at the charts and said, "wow, that's a little boy's heartbeat!" When I told her I was having a girl she asked who did my u/s. My OB was there and told her, the nurse then said, "yeah, then you must be having a girl, she's only been wrong once before." Apparently there's another u/s tech in the area who is known for getting the sex wrong about 60% of the time.

Emily
#75 of 75 Old 06-11-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post
It's difficult for me to get up 3 times a night to pee without disturbing xeowyn, so sometimes I lay there & try to make sure he's deeply asleep 1st & sometimes I give up & just take him with me. If I get up to pee without him & he realizes it, he screeches & cries "BooooB! BoooooooB!" So I slung him over my shoulder & peed one handed with him on my lap.
I am totally with you here, as well as the conclusions you came to while peeing about the difficulties of multiple children. I was excited to find out I was pregnant, but now that I'm sick and tired, and not getting stuff done, with so much to do, I'm beginning to have thoughts of what was I thinking. I think I would't feel this way if I didn't feel so bad physically. I also haven't been able to get really excited about this pregnancy because I feel like it still isn't a definate thing. A friend of mine has four adopted children, one biological child, and one foster child. They are all under the age of four. She is like supermom. She knows how to get everything done, her kids are the perfect well-behaved children. She was able to take care of everything even while she was super sick and pregnant with her last child. I just feel like how does she do all that, when I can't handle myself and a toddler?
And on another note of the getting up to pee and waking up the kid. What am I going to do when I'm sleeping with a toddler and an infant that both want to nurse all night?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page