Weekly Thread - June 18 - June 24 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 06-18-2007, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,

Didn't see a new thread yet so I thought I would start one.

Still feeling awful, but carrying on.

How is everyone doing?
#2 of 52 Old 06-18-2007, 02:47 PM

Feeling much better this week, no morning sickness just getting headaches now. My latest development is that I am breaking out like crazy! Anyone else having this problem? I look gross!

SAM, momma to 3 beautiful babies: Tristan (5), Gabriel (4) , & Brighton (2)

#3 of 52 Old 06-18-2007, 03:28 PM

I am with you with the headaches and breaking out. And I'm really hungry all the time but nothing sounds like it will taste good. Very cruel. I'm getting kind of annoyed with the constant peeing too. My toddler is just starting to sleep though the night more and more, and I am waking up and having to pee!
#4 of 52 Old 06-18-2007, 03:41 PM

I am also with you on the headaches and breaking out! Plus, while I've conquered the debilitating nausea that kept me moaning and on the couch for the better part of the afternoon, now I'm just plagued with a general queasiness that never quite goes away. Does anyone else get that? Plus, I hate waking up starving but being disgusted by food! Most days I just force it down and feel better because of it.

We had our first u/s on the 15th and the image was so clear and clean. We could easily make out the profile of a tiny little face, and also an arm sticking out! The heartbeat was normal at 170 BPM. And, there appears to be only one in there. All of this is a big relief.

I'm still popping out of all my clothes, which is frustrating this early on since none of it is baby!

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#5 of 52 Old 06-18-2007, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
I am also with you on the headaches and breaking out! Plus, while I've conquered the debilitating nausea that kept me moaning and on the couch for the better part of the afternoon, now I'm just plagued with a general queasiness that never quite goes away. Does anyone else get that? Plus, I hate waking up starving but being disgusted by food! Most days I just force it down and feel better because of it.
I feel sick all day and am disgusted by food, but have to eat to at least calm the nausea a bit. I am normally a big fan of food and eating, but pregnancy just makes me hate both. Eating is just one more chore. In addition I feel guilty about gaining weight when I haven't lost the weight from my last pregnancy:

Anyway enough whining. I figure I should feel better by August
#6 of 52 Old 06-18-2007, 04:02 PM

I'm feeling a bit better but now I think I'm getting a cold or something! I woke up this morning with half my throat hurting and a slight hint of pain or pressure in my ears. Normally I wouldn't be so upset but we are leaving for Scotland one week from today! Yikes! Sigh.

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#7 of 52 Old 06-18-2007, 06:06 PM

I learned a valuable lesson yesterday....how NOT to wake a dreaming dog. DH and I were watching a movie and the dog was snoozing on the floor next to us. She started dreaming and was barking in her sleep. It was funny at first, then it started to interrupt the movie, so I reached down and petted her head to wake her up. A micro-second later, her head popped up and she snapped at my hand. She has NEVER EVER shown ANY type of agressive behavior....not mouthy at all...so I know it was just a reaction. Honestly I don't think she fully woke up until I yelled. So now I have moderately deep puncture wound in my right hand. I think we will wake her up with our voices next time.

DH and I are quite the pair. He broke his leg a month ago and won't be walking for at LEAST another 3 weeks. I have had ear infection/ear pain the ENTIRE time I've been pregnant and have seen 2 docs who both say my ears look perfect. Now I have to be very careful with my hand too. I am SO GLAD I haven't had THAT bad of morning sickness. I don't think I could handle much more.

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#8 of 52 Old 06-18-2007, 06:36 PM

I feel horrible. The newest thing for me is terrible muscle aches all over. It feels like I'm coming down with the flu or something but I don't have a fever. Not sure what's the deal with that. A midwife friend suggested warm epsom salt baths, electrolytes, and Ca/Mg.

In addition my allergies are bothering me, I'm always nauseous/dizzy/tired, and I alternate between sweating and chills. oh and headaches. My poor DH and DS--I am not a real pleasure to be around right now!

:

Only 4-8 more weeks and maybe I will start feeling better??! :
#9 of 52 Old 06-18-2007, 07:00 PM

I am around the end of my first trimester now and although I sometimes enjoy a nap..it isn't necessary to my survival any longer Unless of course, my 8 yr old decides to wake up the entire household prior to 6 am: I am not getting up at night to pee as much..I can hold it now without pain until I get in the bathroom at the usual morning time. OH..small pleasures that make a big difference. The last few months (since finding out I was preggers), I have had to go at midnight or so, and then was waking up around 4 or so each morning and having a very difficult time going back to sleep because my sinus's would open up and I would start sneezing and having to blow my nose..further waking me up. Very difficult. I am not as queasy.. (never had the pukes) but sometimes I will get a wave or so..nothing too severe that a little protein or carb action doesn't help. I am still in my prepregnancy clothes for the most part..although I think my waist is starting to "thicken"--which sounds funny to me because I am plus size anyways.. I was wearing some maternity around 6 weeks due to the bloating, but then it went down a bit and I was able to do my regular jeans.. it may be getting time to be in maternity .. I just wish there was more support instead of the ugly panels that let my flab just hang out. (Not baby belly..the flab above it.. I hate it: ) So.. all in all .. pretty good here. I am looking forward to the second trimester and I really am excited for another month or so when I will be actively trying to feel baby movement.

Warmly,

Mama to my tribe
#10 of 52 Old 06-18-2007, 07:02 PM

Yikes! Sorry about the doggie bite. I hope it doesn't get infected. I hope that it heals up super fast for you; that must have been scarey. ((hugs))

Mama to my tribe
#11 of 52 Old 06-18-2007, 09:14 PM

My latest thing is INSATIABLE HUNGER starting this past weekend. Ugh. I hate eating so much, too, when I haven't lost any baby weight from my 2.25-year-old. Oh well. At least it's MOSTLY healthy foods (with the exception of the cake at a graduation party on Saturday, and MAN was that good!)

We got a grill off of FreeCycle a few weeks ago, and my parents stopped by today for a visit and my dad got it up and running for us. It's nothing terribly special, but we can at least have fast easy meals again without much effort. I'm pretty tired still, and not really feeling like cooking. My son is fluxuating (sp?) between napping and not napping, but still getting up before 6AM. It's hard either way---I'm just needing more sleep than he's getting lately, so even if I go to bed with him I'm not getting enough. Oh well, over soon I suppose. The days will start getting longer soon, and that will help his sleep cycles. He seems to not want to sleep until after the sun goes down, which is after 10PM (even with room-darkening shades) and is up a little after dawn. Yuck.

My DH has pneumonia again----it happened the first time he did a triathlon, and BANG it hit him on Saturday, exactly two weeks after his second triathlon. He's going to see if he can get some help with the swimming---he doesn't FEEL like he's taking water into his lungs, but with those open water swims there's just a ton of people flailing around. He's going to do a half-iron this fall, and if it happens again I'm going to insist that he focus on other kinds of races----he just CAN'T be getting pneumonia every time he does a race like this! It made for a fun father's day, poor guy! At least he got to lay around and be taken car of, but I'm sure he would have preferred to feel well with the same treatment!

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#12 of 52 Old 06-18-2007, 11:50 PM

Well, I'm feeling a bit better. I actually got through a LONG work day today (over 9 hours with only a 1/2 hour break) without falling asleep while standing!

I've got that all the time nausea also. And, my nausea seems to get worse at night. In the morning I can stave it off with food somewhat but at night, nothing works. I never seem to have the food I want to eat on hand so... But today I was able to control it a bit. It was shameful but... I sipped two sodas all day. I'm hiding (or trying to hide, my moodswings/need to wear bigger clothing may give it away before I'm ready) my pregnancy at work so I can't just snack. Before I got pregnant I came into work with a large coffee in hand, took a smoke break once a day, and didn't eat much as I was trying to lose weight. I've obviously cut out the coffee and smoking and I can't add in eating too, with everything else it will just be too obvious. Plus, the act of chewing makes me sick! However, after spending the day sipping I've realized that if I can get my food through drink I might be better off. So, I'm going to start taking soups for lunch (no chunks! I'd gag on those) and probably a smoothie for the ride to work.

I'm breaking out too. Doesn't help that I'm out of honey and can't get more until payday.

Cool about the u/s!

I've got you beat, HollysMom, I've still got weight from my pregnancy with my oldest! I lost all the weight from my youngest but didn't touch what I gained with my oldest. No seriously, I know how you feel. I know that I should eat and that I should make myself eat even when I feel sick but it is so hard. I just keep thinking about all the weight that I DON'T want to gain... Ugly cycle.

For those with painful ears, have you tried peroxide?

That sucks about the dog bite!

Ok, has anyone been looking around on the newborn board? I hadn't... Until today. I was scrolling down to get to the due date boards and I saw the topic by the side of Life with a Babe was something about May '07 mamas so I took a look.

*Sigh* Until this point I was living in the moment of the pregnancy, knowing it will likely be my last. But now, I can't wait for my BABY to be here!

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#13 of 52 Old 06-19-2007, 01:05 PM

Has anyone else been experiencing night sickness???

I feel much better in the morning and throughout the day... but when the afternoon comes along, my sickness sets in + gets worse until i go to sleep. I get this saliva that builds up in my throat... almost like a post-nasal drip... and it justs churns my stomach. A lot of times i have to spit to try to get rid of it but nothing really helps. I've been told to eat lightly toasted bread and that helps, but only slightly. All i can do is go to sleep (which is easy to do).

I have my first appt w/ my dr tomorrow so i'll mention it to him. The nurse didn't give me much advice--she didn't think it was pregnancy related. I'm thinking it's a build-up of hormones. I experienced something similar when i first started taking the pill.

Any ideas?

Last week i was called into the dr for a blood test and an u/s to make sure everything is okay--and it is!! What a relief! I'm still scared, though. I can't wait to make it into the 2nd tri. Two more weeks... just hang in there...
#14 of 52 Old 06-19-2007, 01:42 PM

I am really getting sicker every day Today I have already had two throw-up episodes and I just don't know how much more I can take. I had my OB call in Reglan and Phenegran for me. I had to take them w/ my other 2 pregnancies as well in order to gain weight. I wanted them especially for our trip this past weekend, and I did do good. I only got dry heaves a few times, and I took meds the whole time. At home I always wait until I am "sure" I need them (IOW, I wait until I throw up a few times a day, then decide to take the meds). I think I may decide to take them more often now, b/c it really is hard to be throwing up and take care of 2 kids. It always makes me so weak for about 30 minutes afterwards and all I can do is just sit. If I stand I shake. This is the worst part of being pregnant!!!

Enough belly-aching!

We had a good time looking at houses this past weekend. We got to stay the night w/o any kids for hte first time ever!!! I was of course dead tired, but it was nice to get away for a little bit. My parents didn't put the kids in bed early enough, so it has taken them a few days to get caught up on rest. I have been trying to lay down everyday, too, so I can get caught up on my rest. I think my belly went down quite a bit!!! I am so glad, the bloat was hurting, and it just looked awful. I still have a little bit of thickness to me, but no more blobbyness. We are taking a vacation over the 4th of July, and I am trying to figure out what I will wear! I need to buy some new maternity clothes, but so far I havn't found much. I did buy one new top this weeken that will work great on into fall, and I bought a second pair of maternity jeans and a new bra, too I hate to buy too much summer stuff, b/c I know I'llneed more winter stuff than summer stuff.

How is everyone's house looking? Mine is awful b/c I am sick so much, it's almost worse at night, I can't usually eat much at all for dinner, and I sit and feel awful all night. I cannot seem to get all of my dishes done, I get about 1/2 way done, and then I just tired out. Same for the laundry. I have most of it washed and dried, but it just sits in the baskets, I make th ekids pick thru it to find their clothes : Am I the only one? Tell me your house is as bad as mine!
#15 of 52 Old 06-19-2007, 01:56 PM

Heh, my house is awful too. I've managed to get some energy to start cleaning some this week. I'm working on training my kids to do chores *cackles* The eldest unloads and sorts laundry and the youngest unloads the dishwasher. They think I'm the Evil Mama now but heck I did tons more chores when I was their age. All they do is that and clean up their room and any mess they make in the spaces they play in. They've got it easy. But yeah, the serious stuff involving scrubbing or Real Cleaning hasn't been getting done nearly as much as it should. I'm embarrassed at how filthy my kitchen floor is right now.
#16 of 52 Old 06-19-2007, 02:09 PM

Wow, it doesn't sound like pregnancy is fun for any of us right now.

I'm in the breaking out camp, the naseua all day and especially at night camp, the headache camp, and I'm definately in the exhausted camp.

So far, so good today. Yesterday, I got so sick in the afternoon. I think I waited too long to eat, and about an hour after I finally ate, I got so ill and threw up. Then an hour later I threw up again. And it was awful and acid/chemical tasting. The throwing up (or stomache acids really) burned my throat and it was on fire all last night. Another lovely thing to deal with.

I'm not sleeping well, and wake up before 7am everyday now (not normal for me).

I am so looking forward to the second trimester! It has got to be better than this.
#17 of 52 Old 06-19-2007, 02:14 PM

Weird note, but that stomach acid is hard on your teeth, so be sure and rinse and try to brush if possible! I hate puking stomach acid, it really burns!
#18 of 52 Old 06-19-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Thinker View Post
Weird note, but that stomach acid is hard on your teeth, so be sure and rinse and try to brush if possible! I hate puking stomach acid, it really burns!
Thanks, Freethinker! I did rinse, and knew I should brush, but I couldn't stand the thought of the toothbrush in my mouth at the time. I'll have to force it if it happens again.
#19 of 52 Old 06-19-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlasta216 View Post
Has anyone else been experiencing night sickness???
Well, I'm actually most sick right when I wake up and right before I go to bed. It sucks b/c those are two times I really need to eat. (Eating in the morning curbs nausea and eating before bed helps me not wake up so sickeningly starving.)

Have you tried taking B6? My midwife recommended it for nausea relief.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#20 of 52 Old 06-19-2007, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Gah, I can't wait for the weekly check-in thread where we get to talk about feeling better.

I am still horribly ill. I have tried it all. Sea bands, vitamin B, ginger tea, small meals, protein. I now take Zofran and Zantac to combat severe vommitting and acid reflux. I still puke once or twice a day and am thankful for that improvement.

On the bright side, I had an u/s and got to see my little bean. I cried and cried during the whole u/s. I have been so fixated on being sick, that I have been overlooking this lovely new life in me. I am so happy to be pregnant. I just wish I didn't have to be so ill.

And I am with you all -- zits, headaches, my house is a wreck and my poor children are not getting my time and attention right now.

Big sigh. This will be over soon, right?

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#21 of 52 Old 06-19-2007, 04:45 PM

I'll just jump in here, I suppose... I'm about 10 weeks and I feel worse every day that passes. In my past pregnancies weeks 10-12 were the worst so I'm looking forward to being past this stage. I had to make the girls eggs this morning (for brunch, we slept late) and I have no idea how I made it . I had a piece of bread. That's all I could handle. I've not actually thrown up, but I am nauseous pretty much 24 hours a day. Food is evil.

Other than the nausea and mind-numbing fatigue, I'm doing alright. I actually got a couple Braxton Hicks contractions the other night, it was crazy! I get them early anyway, but this is ridiculous! Neat though, so I don't mind.

Nursing my 12 mo is going well, some nipple sensitivity but no pain, and no sign of nursing aversion so far. YAY!

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#22 of 52 Old 06-19-2007, 04:57 PM

Had my first midwife visit today and saw a heartbeat and squirmy baby. We couldn't hear the heartbeat with the doppler, so I agreed to have her look real quick and stop as soon as she saw a living baby. That was really all I wanted to know. We are really excited now! I'm feeling a lot less worry.
yay!!

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#23 of 52 Old 06-19-2007, 05:03 PM

i'm only sick when i eat. go figure. although nothing sounds good. except olive garden salad .... yum!

my face & chest look like a 16 year old's .... lovely.

and i'm gaining this big gut (at 9 weeks!!) that looks nothign like "baby belly" lol.

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#24 of 52 Old 06-19-2007, 05:45 PM

Hi everyone! Sorry to hear we're all still feeling so awful My ms is actually a little better but I've been getting awful headaches, too. Still pretty tired but not horrible. Actually I could use a nap right now.

Quote:
except olive garden salad .... yum!
That is so weird, I am seriously craving some Olive Garden salad and breadsticks.

I am still so freakin' hungry all the time. Starving! I am going to gain so much weight. Oh well! Oh speaking of, I have a quite a gut, too. I've been calling it my "baby gut" since its not really a baby belly yet. I'm way past the point of being able to button my pants!

In other news, we just got approved for a home loan and I think we're going to put an offer on a sweet little townhouse. This will be our first home so I'm very excited and very nervous!

Mama to Boy (10) Other Boy (7) and Girl (4)   mdcblog5.gif in my profile!

#25 of 52 Old 06-19-2007, 08:00 PM

So sorry everyone is still feeling the ick.

I'm alternating between STARVING and wanting to yak. My mom had dd at her house today, while I was at work, and when I went there to pick her up, I actually fell asleep on the couch for a few minutes : So yeah, I'm pretty freaking tired, too.

I think I'd be okay if I could either get a nap during the day or sleep through the night; but I work FT so, no nap, and dd always wakes up overnight. Usually just once, but by the time she's done nursing back down and I fall back asleep.....sometimes I'm up for a couple hours. Sometimes I fall asleep with her in her twin bed, and that's worse. :

DH took her out to dinner tonight. : They went to an Italian place a couple miles away. He's taking her on her new bike seat and she was just beside herself with joy when they were leaving. I'm so grateful that he's so amenable to taking her out to dinner and taking her other places when I feel like crap. I really did marry my Prince Charming :

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#26 of 52 Old 06-19-2007, 09:28 PM

Well I've been afraid I have an ear infection or strep- the good news is that I have neither, the bad news is that means it's a cold. We're leaving for Scotland on Monday and I'm really nervous about my ears (they don't fly well). The appointment at the doc was dreadful though- she had to do a swab to test for strep and I gag just opening my mouth, let alone having someone put something in it! The girl was really sweet though and I think it took at least five minutes because I kept having to stop and calm my gag reflex down again. YUCK! I can't wait until this next month is over and I feel "normal" again. Well hopefully.

#27 of 52 Old 06-20-2007, 01:48 AM

today my husband came home from work (late) and right away complained that my DS is watching too much tv. I can't even believe he said that. I do feel guilty about it anyway, but I am just so incredible sick and can't even get off of the couch most of the day. What else am I supposed to do?
#28 of 52 Old 06-20-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunebugsMom View Post
today my husband came home from work (late) and right away complained that my DS is watching too much tv. I can't even believe he said that. I do feel guilty about it anyway, but I am just so incredible sick and can't even get off of the couch most of the day. What else am I supposed to do?
Oh I'm sooooo sorry! Will reminding him that this *should* be over soon help any? Hang in there and keep taking good care of those babies.

#29 of 52 Old 06-20-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyisrrs View Post
Thanks, Freethinker! I did rinse, and knew I should brush, but I couldn't stand the thought of the toothbrush in my mouth at the time. I'll have to force it if it happens again.
But don't brush immediately after! You'll brush off the protective layer as well. Wait about 30 minutes, then it's okay.

Where do I sign up for the Sucky First Trimester club? I have it all - sickness, fatigue, headaches (although they're more like neckaches for me) and breaking out. Oh, joy.
I'm also hoping this'll be all over soon. With ds, I spent the first 16 weeks in bed, watching TV. Now that's just not possible, so I guess I have to drag myself to the start of the second trimester somehow without going completely insane.

Does anybody else get this, when too much time passes between meals/snack, it feels as if your stomach is trying to eat itself? I get that all the time. Fun. :

Mama with babyboy.gif (2005), babyboy.gif (2008) & babygirl.gif (2010)

#30 of 52 Old 06-20-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyTheCat View Post
Does anybody else get this, when too much time passes between meals/snack, it feels as if your stomach is trying to eat itself? I get that all the time. Fun. :
if i don't eat in time, i get weak & feel sick like i'm dying, lol. it started when i was pregnant with #1, and it's never stopped. i just assumed it's because i've also been pregnant/nursing the past 4 years since she was born.... it is not a good feeling.

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page