*~*~*Weekly thread; July 2-8!*~*~* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 07-02-2007, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't see a weekly thread yet, so I thought I'd start one.

The theme of this week has been trying to figure out what is going on with my alien body. I learned that our gums soften when we are pregnant and we are prone to infections. One of my partially erupted wisdom teeth developed an infection in the gums and I've been trying to get that taken care of. With antibiotics and a special mouth wash, I've been feeling better. I hope to Rod I won't have to have all of them removed!

In related news, I start teaching again tomorrow and am a little anxious about what my (college-aged) students will think/say. Do I look pregnant? Surely I will before mid-August when the class ends. Will they ask questions? How will I answer? I haven't told the people at work yet because I worry they will be disappointed (academia isn't really a family-friendly place) or stop taking me seriously.

I can hardly wait to get through these next two weeks and finally be in the second trimester!

How's everyone else doing?

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#2 of 23 Old 07-02-2007, 06:42 PM

Tofu- thanks for starting the new thread! I hope you don't have to get your wisdom teeth pulled. I had one pulled last year (still have the other 3) and it wasn't fun

Well, I was about to type a longer post but my 2 yr old just dumped cracker crumbs on my sister's bed : We are visiting her in North Carolina and I don't even know where she keeps her vacuum. UGH.
Be back later!

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#3 of 23 Old 07-02-2007, 07:13 PM

welcome to North Carolina ! (where I live)

and last week I was at a conference and while I never usually eat dairy I had some (M&Ms), and now I'm sick. WHY DID I DO THIS WHILE PREGNANT ??!!

I just feel so stupid because like clockwork I always get sick (coughing, sinus drainage, etc.) after eating any dairy before (I've been vegan since 1997 except for the rare times such as these when I cave and "try and be like everyone else")

I learn the hard way. Usually I just feel guilty and ashamed but now I have a baby inside me I'm dealing with it even harder

Melanie, vegan mommy to twin girls born Dec. 2007, and another little girl born Sept. 25th, 2009!
#4 of 23 Old 07-02-2007, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

PurpleMonkey, we have so much in common! I'm 31, vegan, and expecting my first at the tail-end of January, too.

I added you to my LJ FL--hope you don't mind! (P.S. I'm not "out" about being pregnant on LJ, so please don't mention it yet, if you don't mind. )

#5 of 23 Old 07-02-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
PurpleMonkey, we have so much in common! I'm 31, vegan, and expecting my first at the tail-end of January, too.

I added you to my LJ FL--hope you don't mind! (P.S. I'm not "out" about being pregnant on LJ, so please don't mention it yet, if you don't mind. )
no problem my lips are sealed. And I'm gonna add you back, too! SOO EXCITING ALL WE HAVE IN COMMON !!!!

Melanie, vegan mommy to twin girls born Dec. 2007, and another little girl born Sept. 25th, 2009!
#6 of 23 Old 07-03-2007, 02:24 AM

12 weeks and feeling lousy --- i can't even smile....see my other post titled: Painful left side....i could not sleep the entire night!

otherwise, i upped my proten and feel a little less nauseous - i wish i knew about the brewers diet like four weeks ago maybe my nausea would have been not a big deal...

anyways, u live and learn...this is the first pregnancy that i have such major problem with nausea.

i can't type anymore i have to go try to take a nap....later guys.

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

#7 of 23 Old 07-03-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
The theme of this week has been trying to figure out what is going on with my alien body. I learned that our gums soften when we are pregnant and we are prone to infections. One of my partially erupted wisdom teeth developed an infection in the gums and I've been trying to get that taken care of. With antibiotics and a special mouth wash, I've been feeling better.
oh no on the wisdom teeth! i just got mine out this year. i put it off last time when i had issues during ethan's pregnancy. it went MUCH easier that i had thought it would.

i'm 11 weeks today, yay! we just got the heartbeat yesterday (and i posted it on my blog - see siggy).

my dh deploys monday, and won't be home until christmas, so that sucks ... but we'll motor on, i suppose.

i'm feeling fine. the slight nausea i had during the day is pretty much gone, but i'm still tired, tired, TIRED. i'm also HUGE. lol. i'd like to try and not "look" pregnant for another month or two, but i highly doubt that's going to work, lol.

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#8 of 23 Old 07-03-2007, 12:21 PM

Impromptukiss - lots of (((hugs))) for you. Hopefully these next few months will fly by and your dh will come home safely and quickly.

I had my first midwife appointment on Thursday. I've had some really heavy spotting/bleeding from weeks 7-9 (I'm almost 11 now), but it finally let up last week. She didn't seem too concerned about it as I'm still very nauseous and tired and didn't have any cramping with the bleeding. Still, she set up an ultrasound for today at 1:30 just to make sure all is well and there is a beating heart. I'm nervous as h*ll and am trying not to freak out. If all goes well this afternoon, we'll tell dd (3.5) that she's going to be a big sister.

It's really hard to hid the pregnancy now. I'm bigger in the tummy area to begin with, so now, depending on what shirt I wear, I either look quite pregnant or quite fluffy. After the ultrasound I'm going shopping, as I can barely do up any of my pants - they all have to be rolled under my belly.
#9 of 23 Old 07-03-2007, 01:49 PM

We are in the process of telling family now. It feels so weird. But exciting at the same time. I guess this little babe is really real. :

I also saw my mw for the first time on Friday. She is *SO* amazing. I am so happy with her. I am really looking forward to sharing this experience with her. I think she is exactly what I am looking for and need.

My exhaustion is pretty much over. I am a little bummed that I didn't milk it a little more with dh.

impromptukiss - That is great that your dh will be back for the birth (assuming things don't change - and we all know that for some reason "they" don't consult us before changing ship's schedule!!!) Wishing you an uneventful 6 months!

~~Mama to DS1 6/05 and DS2 12/07~~
#10 of 23 Old 07-03-2007, 04:08 PM

Woohoo! I was getting worried beause of my lack of symptoms. MW told me it was common to worry...already looking out for my baby she said. She put the doppler on me, then she said, "well, that was easy" and we heard baby. It was amazing. I could have listened to that all day.

Other than my appointment today, most is going okay.

Cortney Mama to Lyra 1-20-08 and future midwife through Birthingway College of Midwifery
#11 of 23 Old 07-03-2007, 06:13 PM

I'm finally less tired. Yesterday I even went back to the gym--the first time I've been back since I discovered my situation I *still* feel sick at night. It's amazing how any little smell/sight can set me off gagging. The only way to work around this is to be in bed by 10.

Last Friday I felt some cramping so i called my dr to see if this was normal. I wasn't too worried b/c it was pretty light. It was just a dull ache when i walked. The dr called me in for an u/s (my 2nd) + i got to see the baby again (still haven't had the chance to hear the heartbeat!). Everything seemed fine. I sounded frantic when they did the u/s--"Where is it??? Where's the baby???"

I am getting bigger. I went out w/ my mom last weekend + bought some looser clothes. Now i have dresses to wear over my un-buttoned jeans.

Next week i start my second trimester (though some ppl say it starts at the 13th or 14th week but whatever!). I still hope this time flies by!
#12 of 23 Old 07-03-2007, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hey all, I am still hanging in 1st trimester craziness. The constant puking seems to be slowing down or maybe it is all the Zofran that is finally catching up. Anyway, I am eating and keeping food down finally and my weightloss is turning around and becoming weight gain.

I still feel tired and kind of blue. My dh has been gone for 3 weeks and I am so tired of being alone and ill. He has some serious hand-holding to catch up on when he gets back. Good news is that he will be back Thursday and I can't wait.

Ooop, this turned into a 'poor me' whine. I didn't mean for that to happen. Darn pregnancy hormones.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#13 of 23 Old 07-03-2007, 11:24 PM

MamaBear, how did your u/s go?

I was thinking about telling my job at around 12 weeks. But, lately I've started thinking that it would really be nice if they never found out. All day today I was daydreaming about setting up my vacation for the day before my edd and then if I went into labor before then, rearranging it for that time. I've had both my boys very close to their edds (I believe on the actual date in both cases) so I don't think I'd go very much later.

Can you imagine that convo if I needed to take it a few days early?

"Hi, this is Muttix2, I'm calling to say I need to take my vacation a couple days early. It's an emergency."

"What is the emergency?"

"I'm having (or had) a baby"

:

Unfortunately, by the end I'm as big as a whale so I doubt I'd be able to hide it all the way through. But it would be so great if I could. Right now I'm just hoping for one or two more months. Ok, I'm hoping to hide it the entire time but I'm aiming for a month or two more so I won't be too disappointed when I realize I can't hide it anymore.

Not looking forward to the convo where I break the news at all. Unless I can actually hold out until the end... Probably not but I can dream, right?

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#14 of 23 Old 07-03-2007, 11:32 PM

muttix2 if you don't mind my asking what are your reasons for trying to hold out?

I felt compelled to tell everyone at my job for fear I would have been accused of "lying" had I kept it to myself

#15 of 23 Old 07-04-2007, 06:02 PM

I was wondering why you were keeping it from work, too, muttix. I look forward to your answer.

Dh and I own our own business, so I don't have to worry about that. My "boss" was one of the first to know.

My poor husband, he's never been the second to know. With our first, he wasn't home when I tested. I called my best friend, and then I had an appt. at my hairdresser, and told her.

Then, this time, I was at my best friend's house in FL when I tested and DH was home. So, my best friend knew first. Then my best friend's husband, then our kids. I ended up having dd tell him over the phone a couple days before we came home.

So, happy fourth of July, everyone I'm having a total veg out day. DH took dd to his parents' house. I'm supposed to be cleaning; but I'm watching a Rocky marathon on Spike TV : : It's almost over, actually; Rocky IV is on now. Then I'll eat something and get to that cleaning :

I am 12 weeks today I've been feeling a bit better the past week or so. I get nauseous when I go too long between meals. But, I'm not having horrible food aversions anymore. I can eat pretty much anything again. I'm still having issues with raw meat, so DH is still taking care of dinners, God bless him. And I'm still tired. Really tired. Can fall asleep at a moment's notice.

Hope everyone else is coming out of first trimester ick, too.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#16 of 23 Old 07-04-2007, 07:45 PM

Purple Monkey, I don't mind at all. I got this job a month before I got pregnant. Wasn't trying to but it happened. It is not a family friendly place at all. In fact the last time I worked in this field I was pregnant with my oldest (after working there for over a year and losing one baby in the process). The entire pregnancy was a fight between them and me, they would have fired me if they could've but luckily I was documenting everything. Even though I did it the "right" way (in thier eyes) with marriage and all they were still horribly disappointed in me for getting pregnant. This time around though it is a different location it is the same field and they are no more friendly towards pregnancy/families. I fear they'll think I "tricked" them and they'll fire me. I work in an at-will state so they can fire me at any time for no reason at all. So, I want to keep it a secret for as long as possible. I don't work for fun, we need the money. So I can't afford to lose my job.

#17 of 23 Old 07-04-2007, 07:52 PM

muttix2 I understand. Stupid how in this day and age we're still so undersupported as women

#18 of 23 Old 07-06-2007, 01:09 PM

Can I have some energy back?
This insomnia and an early rising 2yo are getting me down.
Chris
#19 of 23 Old 07-06-2007, 03:46 PM

muttix2 - thanks for asking. The ultrasound went well. I measured 10w6d (only one day off from what I thought) and the heartbeat was 170. The tech brought my husband and daughter into the room and we told dd she's going to be a big sister. She was SO excited. The tech printed a picture of the baby just for her and she's been carrying it around everywhere with her. Soooo sweet.

The tech said she could see where the bleeding was coming from and that I'd pass a bit more blood. I started spotting again on Wednesday, but not as bad as last time, thank goodness. I just wish it would stop altogether!
#20 of 23 Old 07-07-2007, 10:28 PM

Mama-Bear that is precious about your daughter and the picture. Also congratulations on the good u/s.

this week has had some positive moments and some negative. i'm not exhausted ALL day, or throwing up ALL day. Just nauseous all day and throwing up every other day or two. i'm sort of starting to get heartburn. anyone else? i forgot how much heartburn sucked.

i have been keeping my eight year old nephew for my sister. i feel bad because everything he does annoys the crap out of me. i get on to him all day long. he argues with everything i say. i can't wait to get rid of him. i feel so bad because he really is a good kid. and his parents are recently divorced and i think it has been really hard on him. he has had a lot of behavior changes since then.

i'm excited that we are all getting to the end of the first trimester! yey!
#21 of 23 Old 07-08-2007, 02:21 PM

I'm feeling much better these days, but I'm starting to feel a little impatient to feel sort of normal again. But it's so much better than it was that I am really just glad for that!

Funny thing, to read about wisdom teeth... my top wisdom tooth just disintegrated. The whole back of it just disappeared and it's exposed and jagged. It's not bothering me at all... yet. But I know from experience that I have to get it take care of ASAP. In my last pregnancy, my other top wisdom tooth fell apart in the first trimester, in exactly the same way, and didn't give me any trouble for months. Until was around 7 months pregnant and I suddenly was hit in the side of the head by a railroad tie and ended up on the floor! I wish I had gotten this one taken out before I got pregnant again, but it's so easy to put off when it's not hurting at all and I'm terrified of dentists. So now I'm going to have to go, have an X-ray while pregnant, and get the stupid thing out. Hopefully before that pain hits. I have never experienced anything like it. Most definitely, without exception, the most painful thing that's ever happened to me.

I'm not super emotional, but I am more irritable than I'd like. I'm much less able to be present to my children when they're having problems, but I've managed to keep it on a pretty even keel this time. My last pregnancy at this point I had already had a bawling conversation with my husband about what a terrible mother I was, that I was one step away from being abusive and barely hanging on to any pretense of being a nice mom, that I was a wreck and didn't deserve my kids. Two days later I was like, What? Because I ran out of ideas for handling a new situation and ended up using a time out, because I snapped rudely, because I felt angry and frustrated and selfish for a little while... I'm secretly deep down an abusive mom? LOL This pregnancy has been emotionally even so far, except for the irritability. And that might be related a lot to the insomnia. I'll get an idea in my head and not be able to get back to sleep for anything. Things like, "I wonder if I said everything I needed to in that email?" will totally consume me.

The good news is I am still nursing with no problems... a little less patience with pulling off and on, but that comes as much with fatigue as anything else. No actual aversion yet. YAY! Every week with no nursing aversion is a blessing that I do not take for granted!!

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#22 of 23 Old 07-08-2007, 03:01 PM

SharonAnne, at your "boss" being the first to know

No heartburn for me yet and I am SO happy about that. Last two I had horrible heartburn all the way through, I think I ate more Tums than anything else. Sorry you're having to go through that! If you are going to use Tums (my mw said they were ok b/c they don't have the medication type thing that the long lasting ones have, can't remember specifics though), stock up on a BIG bottle. It's a waste of money to get the small one if you're going to be chugging them

I'm not really emotional either. Not in the breakdown crying way anyway. I'm more pissed at everyone and everything. I get offended QUICKLY and apparantly I've started "ranting" (or so I've been told ) I have cried a few times but they were more tears of anger than anything.

#23 of 23 Old 07-08-2007, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

So, do Tums really help? I've been having some horrible heartburn, and changing my diet has done nothing to improve it. I might have to get desperate. It's really uncomfortable and downright painful at times!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page