How's your weight gain? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 07-04-2007, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am now 13+2 weeks, and I have only gained maybe 2-3 pounds. If I were large, that wouldn't worry me, but I'm very thin to begin with. My pre-pregnancy weight was 133lbs. at 5'8". I'm still nursing my son (25 months), but only twice a day, and I'm almost completely dried up anyway.

Thing is, I'm eating from sun-up till sun-down, and not exactly fat-free. I also checked my fundal height yesterday and it's 11cm which is okay for 13 weeks.

Any thoughts? I'm going to see my MW on Monday, but I'd like some input anyway.

Mama with babyboy.gif (2005), babyboy.gif (2008) & babygirl.gif (2010)

#2 of 48 Old 07-04-2007, 01:14 PM

I haven't gained any weight since being pregnant but that's fine with me cause I started out kind of more than I wanted (I'm 5'9" and 158 pounds). My normal weight is about 148 but right before getting pregnant I'd just gotten back from a vacation (in Germany actually where you live!) and hadn't had time to lose all the 10 pounds I'd gained the 3 weeks time I was there. Sooo I'm not too concerned about not having gained any weight yet because I'm only 10 weeks.

Melanie, vegan mommy to twin girls born Dec. 2007, and another little girl born Sept. 25th, 2009!
#3 of 48 Old 07-04-2007, 01:30 PM

I will be 11 weeks tomorrow and Ive actually lost about 8 lbs.. Im not worried though because I didnt gain much with my daughter (and I think this is a girl) and because Im still nursing 24/7.. I am going to try to start increasing my intake of healthy foods to see if I can gain a little. With dd, I lost weight the entire 1st trimester, and half of the 2nd trimester.. and then ended up with 9 lb gained the entire pregnancy
#4 of 48 Old 07-04-2007, 02:22 PM
SMS

I am 5'5", 116, and 12.5 weeks and have not gained anything, which is weird because my clothes are starting to feel snug and I definitely have a belly. My MW told me this was all completely normal. I looked at my journal from when I was pg with DD and I didn't show a gain until week 14 and that was just 2 lbs, so I am not worried. It will come!
#5 of 48 Old 07-04-2007, 02:25 PM

yeah, i forgot to add that even though I have lost weight.. my belly is HUGE.. I seriously look like Im 18 weeks pregnant already. and have been asked a ton of times what Im having..
#6 of 48 Old 07-04-2007, 02:27 PM

yes my belly's definitely changed as well. I guess all my weight is just redistributing itself?

here's my belly weeks 6-10

Melanie, vegan mommy to twin girls born Dec. 2007, and another little girl born Sept. 25th, 2009!
#7 of 48 Old 07-04-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany_PartyOf5 View Post
yeah, i forgot to add that even though I have lost weight.. my belly is HUGE.. I seriously look like Im 18 weeks pregnant already. and have been asked a ton of times what Im having..
maybe it's cause you've already had kids before? I heard your uterus has a "memory" and you look pregnant a lot quicker with consecutive ones!

#8 of 48 Old 07-04-2007, 02:38 PM

aww your belly is so cute its starting to grow.

Yeah, thats what I figured is because this is the 4th child lol.. but man I cant wear my clothes anymore.. and I just HATE maternity pants lmao.. so Ive been wearing my regular clothes unbuttoned with a maternity shirt on top.. I did buy a Bella Band but didnt like it.. It made my feel really HOT and it was kinda tight and itchy because of the heat (I live in FL)
#9 of 48 Old 07-04-2007, 02:39 PM

oh but i think i will love the Bella Band for nursing in January lmao.. My belly wont get cold
#10 of 48 Old 07-04-2007, 03:41 PM

My weight fluctuates. I had gained 2 lbs. at my 10 1/2 week MW appointment. Then a week later I weighed at the gym and I was my pre-pregnancy weight. I was weightlifting 4 days a week before becoming pregnant and I'm still doing some, but not as much and lighter weights. So even if I weigh the same, things are changing...because I've probably lost muscle and turned it into either fat or baby or boobs I'm 12 1/2 weeks now and haven't weighed recently, but I feel like I've gained 1 or 2 lbs at most. We'll see what happens after today's barbeque!!!

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#11 of 48 Old 07-04-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaLMT View Post
So even if I weigh the same, things are changing...because I've probably lost muscle and turned it into either fat or baby or boobs
exactly. I'm not nearly as physically active as before either so I'm sure I've lost some muscle

#12 of 48 Old 07-04-2007, 03:47 PM

Mmmm speaking of BarBQ.. Im sooo wanting some ribs today.. I just wish they were baby back ribs lmao.. but grandfather in law doesnt ever cook those lol. oh well, its been a million years since i had ribs lol.. I seriously think Im going to be 10000 lbs at the end of this pregnancy.. all i talk about, think about, and long for is food lmao.. jk.. but seriously, Im always eating or planning to eat.
#13 of 48 Old 07-04-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany_PartyOf5 View Post
Mmmm speaking of BarBQ.. Im sooo wanting some ribs today.. I just wish they were baby back ribs lmao.. but grandfather in law doesnt ever cook those lol. oh well, its been a million years since i had ribs lol.. I seriously think Im going to be 10000 lbs at the end of this pregnancy.. all i talk about, think about, and long for is food lmao.. jk.. but seriously, Im always eating or planning to eat.
I know what you mean about always thinking about food. :-p I feel like a bloodhound because i can smell it whenever someone has food out at work.
#14 of 48 Old 07-04-2007, 05:27 PM

I am 10 weeks and a few days, and so far I haven't gained anything. At this point with my son I'd already gained 5 lbs, but I have more extra weight hanging around this time. I'm really suprised that I haven't gained though, with my enormous appetite and my pants being tight around the waist. I don't remember being this hungry this early with ds either. I am hungry when I wake up to pee at night! It is ridiculous.
#15 of 48 Old 07-04-2007, 05:33 PM

11 weeks and 5 days here and so far have only gained 1 pound I am 5 8'' and was 155 when I found out I was pregnant now 156 ...I usually gain about 35 -40 pounds with my pregnancies....

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#16 of 48 Old 07-04-2007, 06:28 PM

I'm 14wks tomorrow and so far have lost 10lbs (on my scale). I'm not worried though because I did have it to loose. I am 5'6" and was 155 when I got pregnant. I was trying to shed some pounds before I knew I was prego and lost about 3 lbs and then I had no appetite and was really queezy all the time. Yesterday was my low of 145lbs. However, my appetite is back and I'm just trying to eat healthfully and avoid refined sugars for the most part. Also, I am not hungry after dinner which is new for me and I think that makes a huge difference in weight gain (although I'm sure around week 20 I'll be up for a bowl of cereal at midnight! ).

I gained 55lbs with dd and was over 200lbs at delivery and it was really a lot of weight for me to carry (um, she was 7lbs ). I would love to deliver around 170lbs this time, but the next 26 weeks will decide that!

Now, off to have dinner!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#17 of 48 Old 07-04-2007, 06:41 PM

currently at negative 12 pounds. And still sick
Sigh

CPST
#18 of 48 Old 07-04-2007, 07:43 PM

My boys and I just moved and I dont have a scale , but I dont feel like I have gained any weight.
I have my first mw appt tomarrow so we shall see.
I usually loose 10-15lbs the first trimester and then gain it back plus 10 or so lbs. I still feel really icky.
Angela
#19 of 48 Old 07-05-2007, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyTheCat View Post
I am now 13+2 weeks, and I have only gained maybe 2-3 pounds. If I were large, that wouldn't worry me, but I'm very thin to begin with.
Hey Sara,

I wouldn't worry at all about it. I checked my records from pregnancy #1 the other day, and I didn't gain a thing until I was over 14 weeks pregnant. I ended up with about a 35 pound weight gain total.

It seems like in the early months the babies are really working on getting all of the systems in place, and then later on they really start to pack on the weight. I think we're starting to reach that point soon (you and I have about the same DD, if I'm looking at things correctly).

I FEEL like I've gained a ton of weight already, but I checked the other day and I've gained one pound at most.

Try not to worry----I'm sure your body is doing everything just right!

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#20 of 48 Old 07-05-2007, 11:24 AM

My last pregnancy I lost in the first trimester I was so sick, but this time around I gained 8 lbs. Started at 120 lbs, 5'7" and now I'm at 128 lbs at 14 weeks

SAM, momma to 3 beautiful babies: Tristan (5), Gabriel (4) , & Brighton (2)

#21 of 48 Old 07-05-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafwood View Post
I gained 55lbs with dd and was over 200lbs at delivery and it was really a lot of weight for me to carry (um, she was 7lbs ). I would love to deliver around 170lbs this time, but the next 26 weeks will decide that!
Yeah to that. I gained 60 pounds with ds. I weighed exactly 200 lbs the days he was born and I am 5'7". I gained a lot of weight with him in early pregnancy. 6 pounds in the first three months. then 13 the forth month, and 12 the fifth month. I am definately hoping now to do that this time. i have been pretty sick this time and some days i weigh about 1 pound more the pre-pregnancy and sometimes 1 pound less. Part of me (the vain part) is like great i'm not gaining weight! the other part is worried I should be. I just have some weight issues. I had finally lost all my weight from ds and was down to 130, but I put on like 12 lbs since winter. when i was pregnant with ds my obgyn and midwife both made a big deal about my excessive weight gain and the idea of going and getting weighed every month and then week, gives me endless stress.
#22 of 48 Old 07-05-2007, 05:30 PM

i've gone back and forth - gained five lbs right away in boobs, bloating and reduced activity. lost five or more lbs after that because food was nasty most of the time. then started to eat again and started to gain slowly. ultimately, at 14 weeks, i weigh about 3 lbs more than my pre-pregnancy weight, but i'm sure that some of my muscle has turned to fat and each boob weighs a lb or two more than it used to. (really. they are out of control.)

my belly has been bigger from the start. first from bloat and lack of sit-ups and now with additional size from my protruding uterus. definitely showing more and sooner with this second child than i did with my first.
#23 of 48 Old 07-05-2007, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yay, finally I read about another mama who has gained!
I am 12.5 wks and I've gained about 4 lbs. I find my nausea is quelled either by high fat dairy (skim milk or low fat yogurt makes me heave) and unfortunately carbs (like granola bars, toast, cereal). If I eat a healthy salad, or meat/veggie spaghetti sauce with pasta sometimes I feel sooo sick from it. I am trying to eat healthy proteins (like a handful of nuts) or cook something healthy, but I have been heaving from the smell of almost any food so cooking has been rare.

Last time I gained 50 lbs with dd#1. I am hoping to gain less this time. I am 5'4.5" and started at 156 lbs. with dd#1. This time I started at about 168 lbs. Sigh. I don't want to hit 200 lbs again, that was really uncomfortable.

Happily, my midwife doesn't care about weight gain.....unless it's edema... but weighing is optional. Phew.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#24 of 48 Old 07-06-2007, 08:27 AM

my belly is pretty big, but i haven't gained any weight. which is weird because i've been EATING! lol.

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#25 of 48 Old 07-07-2007, 07:13 AM

Well i started out at 79kilos (almost 174 pounds) which of course is overweight to begin with by about 30 pounds. I usually gain like 50 pounds and gain about 10-15 pounds my first three months.

As this time around has been completely different...i have been sooo sick with throwing up that i have only gained four pounds. I am almost 13 weeks....i think it is also due to the fact that i am breastfeeding.

I am actually happy i haven't gained that much this time cuz i am starting heavier then my previous pregnancy and i will have alot to lose when i am all done.

hopefully the weight gain will be slow and steady like this and will only end up gaining 20 - 25 pounds.

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

#26 of 48 Old 07-09-2007, 12:15 AM

I don't have a scale but based on how I look, I think I've lost a few pounds. I have weight to lose anyway so it doesn't bother me. I'm eating healthier and often. I'm wearing maternity pants but my belly doesn't seem to be any bigger, but my regular pants feel a little tight... Or maybe I just like the extra room in the maternity Anyway, I thought that you aren't supposed to gain in the first trimester anyway. I did with my oldest and ended up gaining 52 pounds! So, I'm happy that I haven't gained yet

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#27 of 48 Old 07-09-2007, 12:33 PM

I've lost a total of about 15 lbs and I keep loosing weight. I had a little extra when I started, but not that much and I'm getting a bit worried about it. At 15ish weeks (I'm "due" the last day of Dec. but figure the baby might come late), I should be over the m/s. I've always been done by now in my previous pregnancies. I am constantly trying to eat, but can only take a few bites at a time or end up throwing up everything. Makes me so frustrated. With my other babies, I gained around 50 lbs each (and at a little under 5'0, that is HUGE) but I guess every pregnancy is different! I'm hoping that things will change soon because I'm really starting to look gaunt in my face.
#28 of 48 Old 07-09-2007, 01:00 PM

I have lost 6 lbs. an 12 weeks. Which is normal for me. With #1 I lost 14 lbs int he first trimester and #2 was just a few pounds. I am "fluffy" so this is totally normal for me. Works well because I only go up about 15lbs at the end of it all.
#29 of 48 Old 07-09-2007, 01:01 PM

I've lost 6lbs this month. I don't know how much I've lost total since we don't have a scale at home. I'm not throwing up and I am eating just not as much as I did prepregnancy. I have plenty to lose so I'm not worried.
#30 of 48 Old 07-09-2007, 01:29 PM

Ugh! I have no idea how much I have gained as I refuse to get on a scale I started this pregnancy weighing about 20 pounds more than I should (I tend to carry extra weight until my kids wean) and I have to eat all the time to keep the nausea at bay. I have my first OB appointment tomorrow and have decided to tell the nurse not to tell me what the scale says. I don't mind if she tells me what I have gained each month, but I don't want to the know the starting point....too depressing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page