Nursing Mamas, how are you doing? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 102 Old 09-19-2007, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone else's nurslings getting those funky orange poops? mine's been nursing most of the night lately (luckily i've been able to sleep through it), and the first bowel of the day has been really loose and orange. later in the day, it's back to the normal solid poop. i'm thinking it's the colostrum he's been taking in all night. he certainly doesn't seem sick. am i gonna have to get used to these blowouts for the next 5 months?

hmmm...

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 102 Old 09-20-2007, 06:57 AM

Hey thanks BV also-- lookin bak at the posts jus now i noticed yur reply --- hadnt noticed b4 - now i feel more comfortable continuing to breastfeed thru my pregnancy and tandem.

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

#63 of 102 Old 09-20-2007, 01:42 PM

i can't say the ds has had any orange ones yet, but his have changed a lot lately. they have gotten a lot more solid since my milk disappeared. he still hasn't gone to having completely what i think of as adult poo though.

now that ds doesn't nurse as much at night he sleeping has gotten weird. he will just wake up in the middle of the night screaming. yesturday he woke up at about 5 in the morning from a sound sleep screaming that he wanted waffles. maybe he is hungry since there isn't any milk anymore. i'm not sure. i guess i should make sure he gets a snack before bed. he also wakes up very thirsty in the middle of the night. i have to keep water by the bed for him. some nights he nurses to sleep still others he falls asleep while we are doing something else and i just put him in bed. some nights he wants to keep trying to nurse all night and others he doesn't try to nurse at all.
#64 of 102 Old 09-21-2007, 06:50 PM

wait a sec , I just realized i am 23 weeks or so but I still dont have colostrum...is that normal?
anyone else not have any colostrum yet...?

i mean i tried to squeeze something out and nothing comes out at all...and i keep asking ds if he tastes anything and he says no...but who knows maybe he doesnt understand me....lol

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

#65 of 102 Old 09-22-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennah_Gole View Post
wait a sec , I just realized i am 23 weeks or so but I still dont have colostrum...is that normal?
anyone else not have any colostrum yet...?

i mean i tried to squeeze something out and nothing comes out at all...and i keep asking ds if he tastes anything and he says no...but who knows maybe he doesnt understand me....lol
I'm coming up on 25 weeks, and a week ago I had nothing either. A few days ago I was able to get some colostrum out. Ds still says there's nothing there, so maybe he just doesn't taste it or something.

He didn't nurse Thursday night or Friday morning, then last night when he went to nurse (with MUCH coaching over latch to avoid too much pain!) it just felt like he didn't know what he was doing at....ALL!! This morning, though, it felt normal again. It's so interesting seeing how this is playing out. I'm starting to think that maybe he WILL wean before the baby comes, but you never can tell. I have a friend whose daughter didn't nurse for the last 3 months of pregnancy or the first month of new baby, but the baby is almost 6 months old now, and the toddler is nursing strong still.

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#66 of 102 Old 09-22-2007, 03:03 PM

i'm totally not trying to make anyone nervous about what their individual bodies are doing, as i believe we need to trust them. and i'm not trying to be competitive, not at all. but my toddler is getting a lot of colostrum these days-- well, nothing like my regular milk production (i have always made a LOT of milk), but i can hear him swallowing again, after probably a month or so of nothing. he doesn't ask to nurse during the day anymore, only at night and over night, but when we're nursing late in the night and i'm really relaxed, i can hear him swallowing again. and sure enough, next morning... colostrum poop. that's the worst part. it's the messyness of breastmilk poop with the smell of solid foods poop. icky.

anyway, i'm happy he seems more satisfied at the breast now.

(again, not trying to make anyone feel bad. i won't be so thrilled about my oversupply when the new baby is gassy! i've just got fire hoses for boobs, i guess.)

later,
hcm

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

#67 of 102 Old 10-18-2007, 12:35 PM

hey nursing moms- just wanted to check in. how's it going?

it had been a couple of months since DS asked to nurse during the day, but he did yesterday. it was sweet.

the boys have been coming back to our bed usually around 1am lately, and DS nurses on and off most of the night. some nights, i don't mind, but some nights, it's pretty painful and it keeps me awake. at this point in pg, i'm really torn- i love nursing him and can't wait for my milk to be fully back, but i also don't want to be a nighttime pacifier for TWO kids, so i hope that once the milk is back, DS will feel full after only a few minutes of nursing, so that i can get more rest and dedicate the night feeds to the babe.

plus, i am really tired from all this night nursing. which makes mommy unhappy. but how i love waking all curled up together. i cherish these times, and worry that once the baby is here, i won't be able to cuddle with my nursling so much.

how's everyone else hanging in?
peace,
hcm

#68 of 102 Old 10-18-2007, 04:23 PM

Nursing is going strong still, though I have put limits on Kiki. She would nurse all day if I let her. Got colostrum about a month and a half ago, and yesterday, my dd actually had milk drip out of her mouth. Really? That much colostrum? Its clear, like sugar water almost.
I'm glad that she's not nursing at night anymore, but I can almost guarantee that she'll want to get back into the habit when the baby comes and my milk comes in

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#69 of 102 Old 10-24-2007, 01:52 AM

Arggggh - I'm starting to get the "don't touch me" feeling when ds wants to nurse before bed - it could be that tonight, it's taken over 1.5 hours to put him down, and dh is still in there with him! : He's swallowing too, though, and although he isn't nursing much (just naptime and bedtime), I think we're having the colostrum poop, too.

I hadn't planned on tandem nursing, but we're coming down to the crunch and ds isn't showing signs of giving up the boob. At this point, I'm willing to do anything to get him to fall asleep earlier! (tandem nursing, included)

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#70 of 102 Old 10-24-2007, 01:37 PM

I never reached a point where there was NO milk -- I could always get a little squirt or drip at least when I tried to express. I think my milk is becoming more copious because I haven't been pumping at work at all and now by the end of the day I have some sensation of ... well, not quite fullness, but at least of something there before I get home. DS still nurses just as much as always, but he still takes about as much formula as he's been taking for a while and is still STARVING in the morning despite nursing all night, so it could be my imagination. I'm glad he's still nursing strong, though -- I got pregnant when he was only 5 months old, and I felt really guilty when my milk supply dropped when he was 7 months, so I will be very happy if he goes back to full-time nursing without milk or formula supplements when this baby is born. He was never sick before I got pregnant and he's been sick a bunch of times since going on formula.
#71 of 102 Old 10-25-2007, 12:11 AM

ds hasn't wanted to nurse during the day at all anymore, but at night he still wants to....that is what is driving me crazy though now. i really can't stand the sensation so if he tries to i can't just sleep through it. i am desperate for him to quit but don't want to deny him. i just keep hoping that he will get over it soon. he is 31 months old. it isn't like he still needs the nutrition...which there isn't anything there anymore anyway. i would say he still needs it emotionally, but if that was the case wouldn't he want to nurse during the day? i just think it is a habit at night...i wish i could get him to go to sleep some other way. he also wakes up crying in the middle of the night and ifhe doesn't have the boob he wont go back to sleep.
#72 of 102 Old 11-19-2007, 03:14 AM

i want my milk back. ds has been waking up in the late evening and taking like 45 minutes to nurse back to sleep. laying there in the dark, thinking of everything i'm trying to get done with what little time i have left in this pregnancy, while ds suckles discontentedly at a tender, empty nipple, just makes me grumpy. this colostrum just ain't cutting it for him.

grumble, grumble....

i guess i should be thankful that we still have this wonderful relationship, and know that soon the dynamics with my nursling will change forever. i just wish that i had more milk for him now, that's all.

sigh....

hcm

#73 of 102 Old 11-20-2007, 01:52 AM

I have been talking to dd about when her big brother used to nurse with her (& weirdly, he's be asking lately?) & about how I'll be able to spray her w/milk again when the baby comes. I am sooo grateful to at least have colostrum these days though. I think this is the time when ds lost his ability to latch and it seems she's following in his foot steps. I'm always saying "open wide!" & "you can't nurse while ______" (insert= reading a book, playing with your doll, watching tv...)". Just b/c there was nothing coming out, my nipples became a chew toy or pacifier!

I was really afraid that she was going to stop nursing all together when I dried up b/c there was a significant drop in the freq & duration & I wasn't ready for her to wean. So, I'm really glad she didn't even though sometimes I don't feel quite so glad
#74 of 102 Old 11-20-2007, 03:14 AM

Ds weaned himself last week. He would only nurse at naptime and bedtime (and in the night, if he woke up), but he started refusing and pushing me away when I offered the breast. I don't know if I just didn't have anything left (before, I could hear some swallowing happening) or whether he didn't like the taste of what was there, but he had enough. Part of me is sad, because he isn't my little baby anymore , but part of me is kind of relieved - the nursing was starting to get very irritating, but I didn't want to cut it off until he was ready.

Who knows? Only 2 months to go until baby comes - he might start up again...

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#75 of 102 Old 12-05-2007, 06:10 PM

just wanted to see how every nursing mama is doing... are you still hangin in there? its so close - three or four weeks left for us....

i am **** bfing ds who is now 1 year and 7mths old - of course have been dry nursing for so long -- i still cant figure out how we will all sleep in the same bed - ds is night weaned but still sleeps cheek to cheek with me - i literally have to hug him and if i move my hand within five minutes he is up - really dont know how this is going to work out...i have tried and tried to get him out of my bed with no luck...just afraid he will trample baby to get to me and be to jealous to sleep...what to do what to do?

anyway hope all the rest of us are fine.

#76 of 102 Old 12-05-2007, 07:02 PM

We are still hangin in there! Ds3 nurses in the morning when we are still in bed and then at naptime and probably one other time in the evening or late afternoon. He nurses to sleep at night but rarely wakes to nurse in the middle of the night.

I do have some colostrum now and he nurses for longer periods of time but we are both happy so far! I am quite curious to see how he will act with a new baby in his territory!
Angela
#77 of 102 Old 12-06-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaB View Post

I do have some colostrum now and he nurses for longer periods of time but we are both happy so far! I am quite curious to see how he will act with a new baby in his territory!
Angela
Me too! DS is almost 13 months and still nurses quite a bit -- no longer whenever I'm around, but all through the night and most days if I'm around during the day too. He's very possessive of my breasts -- gets mad at DH for coming near them. DH thinks he'll be so happy when the milk comes in that he won't mind sharing, but I just don't see it that way. He's entirely non-verbal, and I don't think he'll get that the milk is there because of the new baby.
#78 of 102 Old 12-06-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennah_Gole View Post
-- i still cant figure out how we will all sleep in the same bed - ds is night weaned but still sleeps cheek to cheek with me - i literally have to hug him and if i move my hand within five minutes he is up - really dont know how this is going to work out...i have tried and tried to get him out of my bed with no luck...just afraid he will trample baby to get to me and be to jealous to sleep...what to do what to do?
jennah, i'm in a similar place. while DS isn't night weaned (it's really when he does most of his nursing), he is a TREMENDOUS cuddler. i mean, like completely spooning up, tucked under my chin every night. he's started to cuddle up with daddy more, but there are some times when nothing but mommy's breath in his hair (or boob in his mouth) will help him settle back to sleep. we got the new twin bed pushed up against our old queen, and hopefully daddy can sleep with the boys on the queen, and i can have some peace with the baby on the twin, but i'm not sure that the baby and i will be alone most nights, and that does make me nervous that i'll NEVER get any sleep.

guess we'll figure it out. part of me is really sad that i won't get to cuddle with DS so much after the baby comes. we're quite a pair...

hcm

#79 of 102 Old 12-06-2007, 06:34 PM

lol hardcoremom i think we are really in for it when the new baby comes....i will really miss the cuddling but i am really worried how it will effect ds....u know he will probably extremely jealous and sad....poor baby!

#80 of 102 Old 12-11-2007, 01:34 PM

has nursing become increasingly uncomfortable for anyone else? i am having a hard time again with the pain at latch-on, just like early in pregnancy. i bet it's not gonna get any better for the duration, huh?

#81 of 102 Old 12-11-2007, 02:16 PM

Yes I was wondering what was going on. I started to be sore again this week
#82 of 102 Old 12-11-2007, 04:51 PM

Its been sad to think that my little one wont be the baby anymore. I didnt nurse my older 2 boys as long, I weaned at a year and now I know to wait until he decides he is done and I feel better about having that bond with him yet at the same time he will be a big brother and is slowly being pushed aside to make room for the new baby.
Of course they will have to share but I also feel bad for my older 2 boys who are very attatched and dont get snuggled as often as any of us would want.
Its been my middle ds on one side and my youngest on the other and soon my middle ds will have to snuggle up to one of his brothers. Its sad for me.
My oldest son still wishes that he could sleep next to me.
Angela
#83 of 102 Old 01-11-2008, 12:25 AM

just thought i'd fire this old thread up again. how's it going these days, for those of us who are still baking babies? as sad as it makes me to feel this way, i just dread nursing right now. it's not as painful as it was in the first trimester, but i feel really touched out, punchy, and i just don't have *time* for nursing right now. i really, really look forward to having my milk come back in and to re-establishing a nursing rhythm with ds#2 (if he wants to keep nursing- i wonder if he won't decide he's done when there's actually milk again). of course, i look forward to nursing with the new baby, but i think that nursing a newborn is going to be a harsh reality to get used to. it's hard work to get nursing established, to get comfy and positioned, to help the baby find a good latch, etc. i think i take for granted just how easy i have it nursing a toddler who is an old pro.

anyway, i ramble... anyone out there tandem-ing these days? jennah? i really, really look forward to hearing how things are going.

yay boobies!
hcm

#84 of 102 Old 01-11-2008, 12:31 AM

I'm still pretty sore and when my son latches on I flinch everytime. I'm hoping that the pain goes away after birth. I'm a little nervous to tandem nurse since it will be my first time. My dd weaned before I gave birth to my son even though she has tried to nurse a couple times but I think she asked just to see what I would say she didn't really get any milk. I think my ds will be different and be a little jealous of the baby nursing and want to nurse more, we'll see.
#85 of 102 Old 01-11-2008, 12:00 PM

My breasts were sore for a week or two around 34 weeks, but that subsided pretty quickly. I didn't realize how important DS's continued nursing was to me until this past week when he had an awful cold and simply couldn't nurse because it sent him into fits of coughing. Instead, he'd lie next to me with his mouth around my breast or kneading the nipple in his fingers and he fell asleep that way, but I really missed being able to nurse him.

Then last night I woke up at 2 or 3 am to find him perfectly latched and going away -- at the further breast, which means he'd already had his fill of the first. Of course, his cold subsided just as mine began, and I am NOT looking forward to giving birth with this cough/cold -- so it's just as well I decided I'm not giving birth till the 24th anyway, right?
#86 of 102 Old 01-11-2008, 03:02 PM

I'm really sad about nursing these days. If he had just stopped, that would be one thing. But he asks to nurse when he's stressed about the baby, then when I say "okay!" he cries and says, "But I want MILK! I can't remember HOW! I don't want baby have any milk---I'm drinking ALL the milk!!"

And I think he truly doesn't remember. The last time he tried latching on (a month ago) it was so VERY wrong, and he knew it, and was too embarassed to try again. I'm afraid that he isn't going to try nursing, but remembers enough to resent the baby for it. Ugh. I'm really hoping that he'll try, that having the response of milk coming out will help correct his latch, and that we'll tandem for a little while (a few weeks--months?) It just feels like the right thing for him, because he seems so stressed and anxious about the baby in general.

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#87 of 102 Old 01-11-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplehome View Post
I'm really sad about nursing these days. If he had just stopped, that would be one thing. But he asks to nurse when he's stressed about the baby, then when I say "okay!" he cries and says, "But I want MILK! I can't remember HOW! I don't want baby have any milk---I'm drinking ALL the milk!!"

And I think he truly doesn't remember. The last time he tried latching on (a month ago) it was so VERY wrong, and he knew it, and was too embarassed to try again. I'm afraid that he isn't going to try nursing, but remembers enough to resent the baby for it. Ugh. I'm really hoping that he'll try, that having the response of milk coming out will help correct his latch, and that we'll tandem for a little while (a few weeks--months?) It just feels like the right thing for him, because he seems so stressed and anxious about the baby in general.
Maybe if he does try it would be a good idea for you to do a subtle breast compression as soon as he's on, so that he gets something right away and that will help him remember. You could also "talk it out" with the baby -- I know when my first was a newborn, he would often latch wrong and we'd have to start over, and the way I kept my good humor was by explaining to him seriously and in great detail exactly what he was supposed to do -- open wiiiide, stick your tongue ooouuut, use your tooongue, like licking an ice-cream cone not like a straw, etc. Maybe hearing you explain it to the baby will help him remember what to do.
#88 of 102 Old 01-13-2008, 12:46 PM

Well thanks for asking HCM....

I am having a good time with my two nurslings...not half as hard as I thought…sophia is now two weeks old today and ds is now 20 months old...he loves to nurse and it was weird that he didnt even mention the difference when the milk came in but he did days later say mmmmm, milk...

Everytime he sees sophia on the breast he goes to my bedroom and brings a huge pillow (cause I told him if he wants to nurse he must bring a pillow) so that i can put the baby on it in football hold and he gets on the other breast also in a football hold...its really cool cuz he gets to see her nurse while he is nursing - its actually a beautiful sight to look at both of them nursing. I have to watch ds's fingers cuz he wants to touch sophia's eyes and her nose and her mouth while he is nursing and poke at her head and so I have been training him to keep his hand on the breast that he is on. Also cuz he tends to hold on to the breast that Sophia is on and actually yank the breast out of her mouth...

But he is not jealous at all and I think it is the tandem nursing that has helped keep ds happy and not feel like his whole life has changed after the baby has come. He loves his sister and a couple of times wanted to wake her up to nurse with him which I thought was so cute.

That has been the easiest way for me to nurse them both at the same time...I first get her latched on and then he jumps on himself. I dont have to worry about night time cuz ds is nightweaned although he did cry for the first week or so cuz he would wake up at nite (like five times) and want me to face him and hug him and do our cuddling cheek to cheek but I couldnt as I was bfing sophia so I would try to get him to lay down next to me. By the time the week was over he pretty much understood that we couldn't cuddle as much and for the most part has accepted it - but still wakes up at nite once or twice.

I haven't had any problems with the supply so far... I have been keeping ds to the left breast and letting the baby have both breasts. I just decided to keep it that way for the time being and it seems to be working out okay. I will say that ds breastfeeds much much more than even the baby does. I was worried that the baby wasn't getting up very often to feed but she has plenty of soiled diapers and I took her in just cuz she looked like she was jaundiced and what was comforting was that she had gained some grams in a short period of ten days and they tested for jaundice and her numbers were not high at all…so I guess I just have a real good baby who doesn't cry much at all.

#89 of 102 Old 01-14-2008, 02:02 AM

wow, jennah, i'm so glad to hear things are going so well for you guys. your ds sounds adorable, and i'm so happy that sophia is doing great. i wonder how i'll handle things when my turn comes, especially the boob rotation issue. guess we'll see. i hope i still have a while longer...

hcm

#90 of 102 Old 01-14-2008, 10:49 AM

You know I am sure u'll do great....and so will the other mommas who want to tandem nurse...

btw, when i took ds in to the doctrs office for his exczema which is extremely bad -- he has like splotches on his stomach and the other known areas for exczema but the doc was shocked that i was bfing him and the newborn and tried to convince me there wouldnt be enuf milk for the baby....so I promised him i would bring the baby on her 2 month checkup for him to see and hopefully be convinced that a mom can successfully breastfeed both and the younger baby will gain the weight that she needs. Hopefully sophia gains weight....lol.......!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page