Nursing Mamas, how are you doing? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2008, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nursing is going well...now. The first couple weeks had been scary, since baby wasn't gaining well and was really lethargic. I can't believe how much 3 weeks can affect a baby. If she had been born on her due date, I probably wouldn't have had any problems at all.
Anyway, I had the same speil from the health nurse about how it might be my supply, since I was nursing my older child also. I had to inform her that if I wasn't, I probably wouldn't have any supply at all. I have plenty of milk, just have a baby who is tired and a little lazy
I've been trying to nurse my older dd on each side first, to reduce the foremilk a bit. Its been helping, I think. We just had our first real tandem nursing sessions last night and today. Its cute, since they are head to head Kiki loves to look at her "baby sister" while nursing. She tries to help by doing breast compressions for me
My biggest problem now is that Kiki wants to nurse all the time! She was down to once or twice a day, now its every 15 minutes Well, not quite that bad, but darn close!
You know, my mom was here for 2 weeks after Rhiannon was born, and I'm really surprised at how well she took my nursing Shekinah. The first day she was here, Kiki asked for "mommy milk" which confused my mom until I explained it to her. I had to turn away before I started giggling at her slightly startled look. But she turned out to be okay with it, or at least she never said anything. If fact, after I nursed Kiki (in front of her even) she commented on how much calmer Kiki was.
I have to give props to my mom though, she probably saw more of my breasts than well, anyone besides my dh. I mean, I was nursing pretty much 24/7, and its damn hard to be discreet with a newborn. She was completely nonchalant about it .

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2008, 07:14 PM

Glad to see this thread bumped. I'm a little nervous to try tandem nursing. My dd only asks to nurse once in a while and never nurses for very long, but I know that she will want to when the baby comes and she sees her nursing.

Jennah, I'm glad to hear that it's going well for you. It gives me a little reassurance that I'll figure it out

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 01-14-2008, 07:16 PM

Glad to see this thread bumped. I'm a little nervous to try tandem nursing. My dd only asks to nurse once in a while and never nurses for very long, but I know that she will want to when the baby comes and she sees her nursing.

Jennah, I'm glad to hear that it's going well for you. It gives me a little reassurance that I'll figure it out

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 01-15-2008, 12:05 PM

Well I am telling you that the older nursling will definitely start nursing much much more...my toddler was down to two nursing sessions a day or so but now like neverdoingitagain said he wants to nurse ALL the time now.

And my newborn is also very lethargic but i figure she will be okay cuz she wets alot of diapers and does poop at least once a day. btw do u know how much weight they are supposed to gain when the first month is over?

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

Old 01-15-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplehome View Post
I'm really sad about nursing these days. If he had just stopped, that would be one thing. But he asks to nurse when he's stressed about the baby, then when I say "okay!" he cries and says, "But I want MILK! I can't remember HOW! I don't want baby have any milk---I'm drinking ALL the milk!!"

And I think he truly doesn't remember. The last time he tried latching on (a month ago) it was so VERY wrong, and he knew it, and was too embarassed to try again. I'm afraid that he isn't going to try nursing, but remembers enough to resent the baby for it. Ugh. I'm really hoping that he'll try, that having the response of milk coming out will help correct his latch, and that we'll tandem for a little while (a few weeks--months?) It just feels like the right thing for him, because he seems so stressed and anxious about the baby in general.

Any update? The image of your little boy wanting to nurse but not being able to has been bothering me for days... I want to hear that he figured it out!
Old 01-15-2008, 12:58 PM

jennah and tannis-

how is night nursing going? do your older nurslings want to nurse at night? this is probably my biggest anxiety- whether i'll get ANY sleep at night, and if my older one won't try to crowd out the baby to get at me. i wouldn't worry about co-sleeping at all, if not for the nursing situation.

anyway, just wondering. i'm so glad for your experiences to help ease my mind! this CAN work!!!

hcm

HCM- gentle, all-natural, unconditional mama to three boys (8,6,4) and new baby girl! baby.gif  goorganic.jpg bfinfant.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 01-15-2008, 03:39 PM

Well to tell u the truth that was my biggest fear -- it would be impossible to get any sleep and night nurse two children, and get up for the other kids, imo so when I was about maybe 5 months pregnant or so I night weaned my toddler..

so it did make night time much easier ... but like I said my toddler cried the first week alot after sophia was born and woke up a lot at night cuz he wanted me to hug him and cuddle him and be cheek to cheek with him all night.... now he is a better and i have cut out hi naps so that he is xtra tired at night.

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

Old 01-15-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dov'sMom View Post
Any update? The image of your little boy wanting to nurse but not being able to has been bothering me for days... I want to hear that he figured it out!
Nope, still gestating. I'll let you know what happens after the baby is born. It has been three weeks since my first bout of what I thought was real labor, so I think he's starting to wonder if the baby really IS coming out!!

I'm starting to get the feeling that he's checking my belly every morning to see if the baby is still in there. It's pretty funny. The extra time seems to be helping him to adjust, a little bit at least. He's less anxious this week, and has actually been saying "I want baby come out TODAY!!" (sometimes followed by, "I don't want us to have a baby!", but baby steps, eh?)

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
Old 01-15-2008, 08:45 PM

Lets see...
Kiki sleeps through the night, but she would sort of wake up a couple time. She wasn't sleeping with us, so that wasn't a problem. BUT she's decided to co-sleep again Apparently, she was getting scared of the dark and needed protection. She told my dh yesterday that she was sleeping with us from now on, since we'll protect her. She also decided that its her duty to protect her baby sister
She doesn't nurse at night though, so *whew* thank god for that! I almost fall asleep sitting up nursing Rhiannon, I can just imagine nursing the two of them We are starting to get the hang of sidelying (well I already got the hang of it, just trying to teach Rhiannon, is the fun part ) She's another one that could sleep at the boob all night
Jennah, my LO is still pretty sleepy too. I think after 4months that they should be gaining between 3.5 and 5 ounces per week. Before then, 5-8.5 ounces per week. I'm not counting the weight gain/loss that Rhiannon had the first three weeks. If I did, she would probably be on formula now I'm getting her weight checked tomorrow. Hopefully she's gained like she supposed to.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:53 AM

Just an update on tandem nursing - plus most of us have had our babies so....

i never imagined it would be sooo hard to nurse two while I was sick...just a cold but i was so wiped out and then on top of that to have to sit up in bed during the day when i wanted to napto have to nurse them both at the same time. It was dreadful!

but i have been having spells where i get all shaky and feel like i have to eat to make the shakiness go away but even after i eat i still feel shaky and very weak...its an awful feeling...I went to the doctor who recommended since i am tandm nursing to take a prenatal vitamin, some extra calcium, vitamin c and a iron +folic acid combination...and to try to eat better - not to skip any meals and drink lots of water...I think that has helped cuz i havent had another spell like that so far.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennah_Gole View Post
but i have been having spells where i get all shaky and feel like i have to eat to make the shakiness go away but even after i eat i still feel shaky and very weak...its an awful feeling...
I've had these too---when I was newly nursing DS and when I was newly pregnant, then I just had one last week after this one was a few days old. I finally figured it out after watching a friend who had just completed a big race and "bonked"----she just had low blood sugar. The other night DH just ran and got me something REALLY quickly digestable, and it stopped right away.

It is such a freaky feeling, though, and a bit scary before I figured out what was going on! I hope you get a handle on it and don't have anymore!

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
Old 01-29-2008, 04:04 PM

Kellymom.com has information about tandem-nursing. That includes nutrition info.
I'm taking so many vitamin pills right now, its ridiculous! I was really shaky for the first week or two, but after I started eating more regularly, it got better.
If you have smoothie mixes, or meal replacements, that can help. Using protien powder can help alot with the shakes.
So Kiki is back in her bed, but she wants to nurse all the time. And she does thing that was cute the first couple times but just annoys me now. She comes up and smells my breasts ok more like inhales deeply
We are getting better with positioning and Kiki is getting very patient, waiting for her turn.( Sometimes I can't get them in position and nurse seperately)

User Tag List