Where is the top of your fundus? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 07-23-2007, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Esp if this is NOT your first baby!

I am due with #4 sometime between the 19th and 23 (depending on charting or LMP). I have always measured small with all of my babies, but I am HUGE with this one!

The top of my fundus is right at my belly button. I actually had to go and borrow back some of my maternity clothes from my sil that just had a baby. I normal do not need them until about 6 mo. Even Dh said on Sat that I look more like 6 mo than 3 mo.

So where is yours and how "big" are you?

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
#2 of 28 Old 07-23-2007, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't checked in a few weeks, but I got a little paranoid when the OB mentioned that I was measuring a little big for dates at the last appt. All of the sudden I was foreseeing big 20 wk U/S surprises in our future, lol! So I went home and measured at just an inch under my belly button (at 14 weeks)!!! But when I pulled out my chart from dd (dc#2) I was just the same (14-16" at 14 weeks). So I've let the twin theory go, lol!

On a side note, last night our just-turned-4yo DS prayed to Jesus to give him a brother AND Jenna a sister, rofl!!!
#3 of 28 Old 07-23-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessmcg View Post
...So where is your and how "big" are you?
My fundus is about 1" below my navel. I can wear my low rider pants/shorts just fine, some natural waist jeans with a rubber band looped through the buttonhole, and some maternity shorts/slacks. My regular shirts work just fine but, as they must accommodate my 38F breasts, I can hide *a lot* of belly under them.

I'm 19 weeks (got in the club because I average 43 week pregnancies) but have measured small with every pregnancy (even with 9-10 pounders) except one. I measured average for dates with my baby that came 10 days early at 9lb 15.5oz, 23.5" long, with a 17.5" head circumference. Yup... I like measuring small.

~BV
#4 of 28 Old 07-23-2007, 02:24 PM

Well, I am having twins and one is pretty much directly under my belly button. Every morning there is a big oval there, about 8"x4" that is baby B snug up against the top of my uterus. Baby A stays more toward my back but sometimes pokes around at the bottom of my belly. I look about 6 months PG, seriously! This is PG #3,a nd babies #3 & #4. My Dr. thinks I'm measuring big even for twins? I know I measured small w/ my other 2, so I knew somthing was up and asked about twins and had an US to confirm at 12.5 weeks. I had asked fundal height questions on here several times b/c I just "knew" things were so different this time. I could clearly feel my uterus at 8 weeks, and even see the little lower mound it was making. I freaked out and checked thei nternet which basically said anything goes for second or more PG, so I tried not to freak out. By 10 weeks I was mid-line to the BB nad by 12 weeks I was about an inch below the belly button. Now I"d say at 14 weeks I am right at the BB, so I look more like 20 weeks PG than just 14. Good Luck! I know there have to be a few other sets of twins lurking on this board! I can't be the only one! I'm looking forward to the rest of you getting some suprises in the next month or two!
#5 of 28 Old 07-23-2007, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I don't know if those stories make me feel better or not .

This pregnancy is just so very different than any of my others that I really don't know what to expect. I am normally puking from the moment of conception until 5 month, then still on and off, this time I am slightly nauseous at times, but mostly starving - I am constantly hungry, esp for protein rich foods. I normally lose weight for the first 3 months (all that puking), then gain very little - 8 and 3 lbs for the last 2, I have already gained 10 this time.

I am also having lots of stretching/round ligament pain - never this bad or this early before. I actually thought I may have been having a ectopic at about 8 weeks and they did a quick ultrasound and saw A baby, but am seriously starting to wonder if they missed one, or if this is just one big boy (we have all girls)

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
#6 of 28 Old 07-23-2007, 03:07 PM

I'm 16 weeks, and my fundus has JUST popped up above my pelvic bone. I do remember i didn't "look" pregnant for the longest time with dd, but I don't remember my exact msmts. I am thinking I *should* be bigger by now...but i have lost almost 15 pounds,, so maybe that has something to do with it?

CPST
#7 of 28 Old 07-23-2007, 03:27 PM

im 13w 4d and its right at my belly button.. sorry nak.. this is #4 and my others are 1 yr, 2 yr, and 4 yr lol
#8 of 28 Old 07-23-2007, 03:28 PM

Jessmcg - I have a friend who had an early ultrasound that showed a baby, and they got the twin surprise at the 20 weeker. She said looking back at her early u/s pics, she could see the edge of another amniotic sac in the picture. Anyway, so it's not entirely out of the question!

This is my first pregnancy and my fundus seems to vary depending on the time of day. Like gravity pulls my uterus down throughout the day and it SEEMS higher to me in the morning when I first wake up, but I may just have a good imagination. I would say it's around halfway between my pubic bone and belly button.

I really think that torso length has a lot to do with this though. Someone with a shorter torso will have a higher fundal height measurement than if the exact same sized uterus were in a woman with a longer torso.

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#9 of 28 Old 07-23-2007, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

So, here, are the pictures dh took on sat. I tried to find pictures from my others preg, but we did not get the digital camera until just before #3 was born, so I have a couple from 36 weeks with her, but the others have to be scanned and our scanner is broken, but I look now like I did at about 20 weeks with the others

OK, I just went and looked at the "official picture" thread and I am huge compared to everyone else! DH and I have been talking and would not be totally surprised if there are more than one in there. The first u/s was just a quicky to make sure baby was in the right place, so it is very possible she could have missed one. Not really sure if I am ready to more than one and what that will do to my birth plans - they are really up in the air right now anyway.

#10 of 28 Old 07-23-2007, 03:59 PM

I am pregnant with number 5 (roughly 16 weeks) and I have been feeling for my fundus for a while now and just within the past week or so have located it. I am plus size..so lots of padding to contend with, LOL. But I can feel it really well in the morning .. it is roughly 3/4 inch below my belly button.

Mama to my tribe
#11 of 28 Old 07-23-2007, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
This is my third and I look just like you! I have been in maternity since 6-7 weeks. I can feel a fundus line right at my navel too. And this baby seems to be pushing really high. My belly start under my braline and is tight and round to my pubic bone.

I am having twin fears too and will probably have a 20 week ultrasound just to check. We usually skip ultrasounds, but I am getting strong twin vibes. Eek, twins would be welcome, but overwhelming to think about.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#12 of 28 Old 07-23-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaLMT View Post
...This is my first pregnancy and my fundus seems to vary depending on the time of day. Like gravity pulls my uterus down throughout the day and it SEEMS higher to me in the morning when I first wake up, but I may just have a good imagination. I would say it's around halfway between my pubic bone and belly button...
This early in your pregnancy a full morning bladder can definitely increase your fundal height measurement. Between the heavier uterus compressing the bladder and the more frequent nighttime voids, during the third trimester your measurements probably won't budge at all during the day or night. Sooo, while you may also have a good imagination, you are a very good observer.

~BV
#13 of 28 Old 07-23-2007, 06:44 PM

#3 for me. right at my belly button. i'll be 14 weeks tomorrow.

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#14 of 28 Old 07-23-2007, 09:59 PM

This is only baby #2 for me. My fundus is about an inch below my belly button. I'll be 16 weeks on Wednesday.

I love feeling it, and I really don't feel worried that I am "too" big.

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#15 of 28 Old 07-24-2007, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Thinker View Post
I'm looking forward to the rest of you getting some suprises in the next month or two!
You're hoping more of us end up having twins?

My fundus is about 1/2" under my belly button, too. I'm 16 weeks. My 18 wk u/s will be happening very soon, so we'll get a good look at our kiddo (don't think there are 2 in there).

Bobbi, wife to dh love.gif and mom to dd1 (6-6-04) blahblah.gif, ds (4-1-06) nut.gif, and dd2 (1-18-08) flower.gif. Welcoming our newest ds babyboy.gif (11-24-10)!

#16 of 28 Old 07-24-2007, 01:37 AM

Okay, now you guys have me a little bit concerned. I'm 13 weeks tomorrow and I'm measuring right at my belly button. I would love twins! My sister has triplets so twins would be really cool.

I'm looking forward to the 18 week U/S : .
#17 of 28 Old 07-24-2007, 10:11 AM

I'm 16w5d and I feel my fundus about 1-2 inches below my BB. I will add that I am very long-waisted so that may factor in. I went to the MW yesterday and they didn't measure, just heard the heartbeat.

Also, I have still been losing weight so I'm not sure if that factors into the equation. I'm pretty confident this is a singleton again.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#18 of 28 Old 07-24-2007, 12:06 PM

I'm almost 14 weeks with my second, and my fundus is a couple of inches below my navel most of the time. When I first wake up, though, it's often much higher -- in fact, the first time I felt it, it was above my navel. Last pregnancy, I would have mornings where there would be a little mountain popping up somewhere on my belly and I would push and it would slide back down to where it belonged. It was the funniest feeling.
#19 of 28 Old 07-24-2007, 01:21 PM

I'm 16w with my third baby. My fundus is just below my belly button. I look like I'm 5 or 6 months too, but that's not the baby that is hanging over my waist band I've always been pretty skinny. Now I'm skinny with a big belly

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#20 of 28 Old 07-24-2007, 08:32 PM

Measured again this afternoon, at 16w2d it's right at my navel. Maybe it's not twins.. maybe I'm a month ahead of where I think I am, rofl!!! yeah right!

I think the PP had it right with "anything goes" with repeat pregnancies. Plus I'm short, so... I'm not betting on twins.
#21 of 28 Old 07-24-2007, 08:35 PM

I'm 14.5 weeks. I am completely in maternity now.. there's no squeezing into those old jeans
I would say my fundus is an inch or 2 below my belly button. It's so easy to feel it first thing in the morning while I'm still in bed.. it's officially uncomfortable to sleep on my stomach now

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#22 of 28 Old 07-25-2007, 09:20 AM

well, i had my midwife appt. yesterday, and they thought i looked bigger than usual when i walked in, but my fundus measured right on target. 14 cm, and right at my belly button.

the thing that did throw us off was that we found the hearbeat in three differnt spots. two sounded different, but it could have just been the positioning, ect.

she said we've got two options ... keep measuring and if they start going drastically off (like 25cm at my 18w appt) then look more into possible multiples, or just fins/schedule an ultrasound out in town.

my next appt. is aug 21st. i'll be 18 weeks. i think i'll schedule an u/s, but for the week or two after that. so if i do decided to find out the gender (although i'd feel guilty, lol), it would be good timing. lol....

Jenn, wife to John
#23 of 28 Old 07-25-2007, 09:23 AM

for all you mamas with fundus woes, if you've heard the hearbeat, where was it the first time?

i was 11 weeks the first time we heard it & it was all the way up by my belly button! that is what first started my twin paranoia (well, that & the fact they're evey other gen. on my moms side, and it's my turn, lol).

last time, i was 12 weeks, and his heartbeat was still way down in my pelvis. it really freaked me out hearing it up so high this time at a day shy of 11w.

Jenn, wife to John
#24 of 28 Old 07-25-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impromptukiss View Post
...i was 11 weeks the first time we heard it & it was all the way up by my belly button! that is what first started my twin paranoia (well, that & the fact they're evey other gen. on my moms side, and it's my turn, lol)...
Did listen for the heart tones with a full bladder? Early in pregnancy a full bladder can make a big difference. In fact when they want to do U/S on non-pregnant mothers that make them drink a quart of water first to get the uterus high enough *to see*.

The other thing is unlike fetoscopes, dopplers aren't directional. With a fetoscope you might hear the heart beat just over the baby's back. With a doppler you might hear it over an entire quadrant.

Often times with twins the fundal height numbers won't start getting seriously large (6-10 cm) until around the 20 week mark. If this isn't your first pregnancy you should always weigh your current fundal height measurements against those for your previous twin and/or singleton pregnancies. What's healthy and normal for you isn't necessarily what's average across all women.

FWIW I just did a quick google search on "fundal height" + twins and the only five sites I checked said to suspect twins at 2-4 cm large for dates. I think this is ridiculous. The smallest twin fundal height I ever measured was +6cm with a mom who'd measured 1 to 2 cm small with her 9-lb singleton. I'd palpate my abdomen attentively after a +2cm fundal height but that's only because my 9-10 pound babies always measured 3-4cm small.

~BV
#25 of 28 Old 07-25-2007, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This is a fun thread. I can't wait to find out if various posters have surprise twins or not!

At 15 wks I'm measuring about an inch below my belly button.

Health and happiness to all

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#26 of 28 Old 07-26-2007, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryonyvaughn View Post
Did listen for the heart tones with a full bladder? Early in pregnancy a full bladder can make a big difference. In fact when they want to do U/S on non-pregnant mothers that make them drink a quart of water first to get the uterus high enough *to see*.

The other thing is unlike fetoscopes, dopplers aren't directional. With a fetoscope you might hear the heart beat just over the baby's back. With a doppler you might hear it over an entire quadrant.

Often times with twins the fundal height numbers won't start getting seriously large (6-10 cm) until around the 20 week mark. If this isn't your first pregnancy you should always weigh your current fundal height measurements against those for your previous twin and/or singleton pregnancies. What's healthy and normal for you isn't necessarily what's average across all women.

FWIW I just did a quick google search on "fundal height" + twins and the only five sites I checked said to suspect twins at 2-4 cm large for dates. I think this is ridiculous. The smallest twin fundal height I ever measured was +6cm with a mom who'd measured 1 to 2 cm small with her 9-lb singleton. I'd palpate my abdomen attentively after a +2cm fundal height but that's only because my 9-10 pound babies always measured 3-4cm small.

~BV
i had an empty bladder. i'm really not too worried, but it was certainly interesting to find it up so high at 11 weeks. with my first, i always measured 2 weeks behind (she was 6lbs 4oz), and my second was always 2 weeks ahead (8lbs 12oz).... so i have a wide range of "normalcy."

i've had a day t osit on it now, lol. i'm pretty sure there is only one in there.... but it has been somethign to ponder, lol.

Jenn, wife to John
#27 of 28 Old 07-26-2007, 11:08 AM

I just had my first appt, at 13 weeks, and I measured 15 cm. The top of my fundus was right at my belly button. I'm not really thinking multiples myself, and I was looking back at my records from ds, and from about this time to about 20 weeks I measured a few weeks ahead, actually as much as 4 weeks ahead at one appt. We even had an ultrasound to rule out twins. From my observations, at different times of day, and especially with a full bladder, my uterus is really sticking out.
#28 of 28 Old 07-30-2007, 04:46 PM

At 14 weeks it was 3 finger widths below my belly button. MW said that was normal. First baby.... I've been trying to find it myself and sometimes think maybe I've figured it out, but it is tricky when I don't really know what it's supposed to feel like.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page