Can We Talk About Weight Gain Again? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 07-23-2007, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey all, just wondering how we're all doing in the weight department now.

I'm 15W4D, and literally overnight from Friday to Saturday I gained 3 pounds, which is apparently the tipping point for me in fitting into ANY of my pants and jeans.

At pre-pregnancy I fluctuated between 128-131 at 5'6" petite, but muscular build.

Now I'm 136, and counting that as 6 pounds of weight gain (since I rarely hit 131 pre-pregnancy), and I'm afraid I'm gaining too much weight. I feel like I now have back fat and like my thighs are thickening a little because my pants are tight in the thighs too and not just the waist. But, I CAN'T STOP EATING! And I'm not satisfied unless I get in some carbs and fat.

Just grappling with this in-between stage, since I still don't look pregnant, just like I'm plumping up (which I think I may be doing too).

I've heard that any weight gain this early is all mom's weight and not baby weight...

How are you all doing? Oh, and any mama's who get on here and complain about losing weight are risking their health! (joking, of course... kinda )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 07-23-2007, 03:09 PM

It's quite common for low body fat women to gain more weight early in pregnancy and fat and obese women to lose weight. You're right that most the early weight is not baby. Part is getting a fat pad for the pregnancy and PP period, and part is increased blood volume. As the pregnancy progresses more weight will be due to the baby and placenta.

Even if only your waist or lower belly is getting just a little thicker, your pants can still feel tighter in the butt, crotch or thighs. If your particular pants don't have much allowance through the lower abs, they'll ride up and pull more in other places. Flowing skirts are much more forgiving.

~BV
#3 of 18 Old 07-23-2007, 04:29 PM

lol I have no idea what I weigh lol.. I had lost a good bit of weight in the beginning but I *think* Ive gained it back lol.. not sure though since I havent weighed in a few days. I started at 142, went down to 134 and havent weighed since lol.. its been about 2 weeks? I dunno. Im gonna weigh tonight though
#4 of 18 Old 07-23-2007, 04:31 PM

oh and Im not sure how much I believe about gaining weight early is all moms weight because you are adding blood volume, water weight, placenta weight, amniotic fluid weight, and a little bit of baby weight.. but i think the biggest thing at this point is probably the increase in blood..
#5 of 18 Old 07-23-2007, 04:36 PM

A week ago I had only gained a pound or two...not sure what I weigh right now. I know I'm bigger since last week. I TOTALLY hear you on the puffing out in different areas though. I know I've gained more fat around my waist, but I know it will come off again too. I don't feel comfortable limiting my diet when I have insatiable hunger like I do now!

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#6 of 18 Old 07-23-2007, 04:46 PM

i keep trying to reming myself everyone gains weight differently. with ds#1 i gained thirty pounds in the first five months and stayed super stressed out the rest of the time about gaining weight. i would cry on the way to the midwifes because i knew i would have put on more weight. my midwife tried to tell me this time that i really don't need to worry about it. she gained 57 pounds in the first 20 weeks with all of hers and then never gained after that. everyone's body is different. i can be so depressing to see the scale going up and your clothes not fitting and just feeling fat not pregnant. we should all feel beautiful and pregnant but i know i sometimes i walk by the mirror and think who is that fat, nasty looking girl? (even though i'm not fat, just puffier than before.)
#7 of 18 Old 07-23-2007, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I have gained about six pounds as well. This is my third time around this track though and this just seems to be what my body does. My boobs are bigger, my blood volume is up, my belly is very swollen, my ligaments are stretching as my uterus grows -- so, it feels like both me and the baby/placenta are doing some growing and stretching.

I will say this -- I have always had a fairly easy time losing weight after giving birth. I am a pretty big woman -- I usually weigh around 160-170 when not pregnant. I usually gain 35-40 pounds when pregnant. With my previous two babies, I was back to prepregnancy weight by the time they were 6 months.

Now the last 20-30 pounds are dead tough for me to get off, but getting back to prepregnancy weight is very doable. My midwife has never, ever said anything about my weight and considers me one of her lowest-risk pregnancies.

So, I am in the 'listen to your body and eat when hungry camp'. Pregnancy is a time for nourishing foods and that includes fat good fat and good carbs.

You know, there was a time when a fat pregnant woman was idolized as a fertility goddess. That's me man, the fertility goddess of 2007.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#8 of 18 Old 07-23-2007, 07:42 PM

ruthiegirl , i couldn't agree more!

my body is pretty different going into this pregnancy than the last and it's reassuring to read your post, ruthiegirl. i've always aimed for a mostly whole foods diet, trying to minimize certain indulgences and focus on veggies and protein. i really trusted my body and weight gain during my first pregnancy (at 5'2" i started at 135 and weighed 170 when i gave birth).

this time, despite healthy eating and working out, i entered this pregnancy 15 lbs overweight. so far i've gained 3-4 lbs and i'm 16 weeks along. i feel ok about my weight as long as i'm active and eating well - it's the lethargy and horrible eating patterns of the first trimester that really worried me. now i can take walks everyday, lift some weights, swim, eat well-balanced meals again... but it is reassuring to hear that being overweight doesn't mean you can't have a healthy pregnacy/birth/post partum period - there are so many scare stories out there!

for several weeks (months) now i've felt like a chunky blob, but just lately my belly has rounded and hardened and a stranger independently noted that i am pregnant just this morning. yay!!!

(and even though i've only gained three or four lbs it's all gone to my breasts, chin [!!], and upper arms - sexy!)
#9 of 18 Old 07-23-2007, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenma View Post
r

(and even though i've only gained three or four lbs it's all gone to my breasts, chin [!!], and upper arms - sexy!)
What is it about the upper arms? I normally feel very good about my body. Until recently, I was teaching aerobics and spinning classes and was really fit and strong. But pregnancy puts weight in weird places. My face always gets bigger, my upper back, shoulders and arms.

The one great thing about subsequent pregnancies is that I have come to expect this weird weight gain and it doesn't freak me out anymore. And I know I'll lose it. So, I'll build my healthy baby and not worry too much.

And maybe I'll try to get to the gym this week.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#10 of 18 Old 07-23-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post
So, I am in the 'listen to your body and eat when hungry camp'. Pregnancy is a time for nourishing foods and that includes fat good fat and good carbs.

You know, there was a time when a fat pregnant woman was idolized as a fertility goddess. That's me man, the fertility goddess of 2007.
I very much agree with you!

This is only my 2nd time around. With dd, I gained a good 50lbs. My mother also gained 50lbs with both my brother and I. Sure, they say in some books gaining more than 35lbs leaves you at more risk for_____.....but I don't believe it. I think each woman is different, what is healthy for each woman varies.

Listening to your body is key!

I'll be a godess with you (already 180lbs!)

Kristin

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#11 of 18 Old 07-23-2007, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here here with the Rubanesque shapes. I started this PG about 15 lbs overweight (it hung around from the last time) and I know I've gained some weight already. But I too feel it's not right to limit eating when I'm hungry during this PG. It'll come off after, as much as it can. I don't want to be obsessed with my body image (though I kinda am ).

Yes fluffy mamas WERE fertility goddesses, weren't they? I wish we were surrounded by that and bathed in that valuing, you know?

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#12 of 18 Old 07-24-2007, 05:29 PM

I'm 16 weeks and I've gained 11 lbs already. I am really not worried though. Like other posters I just know that this is what my body does when pregnant. I gain a lot of weight fast b/c I don't get too sick in the first trimester. Just hungry! I gained a lot with my first (60 lbs) and realized I had to be a little more careful so I gained, I think not quite 40 with ds2. Both times I had healthy, average sized babies and the weight came off pretty easily. All that to say, listen to your body! Eat healthy but don't deprive yourself and just concentrate on growing that baby

Mama to Boy (10) Other Boy (7) and Girl (4)   mdcblog5.gif in my profile!

#13 of 18 Old 07-25-2007, 01:39 PM

I have gained weight, I dont know how not to, I dont get sick, dont throw up - I get HUNGRY! And I have a hard time not eating just to keep the scale from changing. I do need to get back to walking, I have slacked off the last few weeks, but I refuse to obsess about the number on the scale. I am overweight to start, I am a hungry beast and I have gained weight. I will try to walk more, and make good food choices and I will be happy, because I AM HAVING A BABY!
#14 of 18 Old 07-25-2007, 02:24 PM

Well, I had gone from 142 to 134 and last night I weighed at 135.. The funny part is that I dont get sick, I eat like crazy.. healthy and not healthy.. if I want it I eat it and I think thats gonna cause problems later on lolol.. like when I just want ice cream for dinner lmao.. Im gonna be huge this pregnancy, but who cares.. its my last baby.. so long as I eat enough healthy foods for baby, the rest is just whatever lol
#15 of 18 Old 07-25-2007, 08:00 PM

Dont worry, Momma! Eat (not bags of potato chips, or other "crap" foods") Healthy carbs and fats can be found in alot of food.

For me, I find the key is keeping healthy food around. When Im running low on food and dreading the grocery store is when I get in trouble
#16 of 18 Old 07-25-2007, 10:27 PM

OK ladies, I'm 17wks tomorrow and have lost 10.5 lbs so far. I am eating when I'm hungry, and I'm eating what I want. The problem is, I'm not all that hungry and I really don't want that much to eat. I am 5'6" and was 155 pre-pregnancy (size 10-12). This morning I was down to 144.5 and I am in my old size 8's. I'm not complaining, and my MW isn't worried at all, but this is just so different from last time for me. I gained 15lbs in the first 3 months and was the same weight to start with.

The toughest part is that I have to remind myself to eat. I have been trying to snack on almonds and nuts or cheese and eat a ton of fruit, but I am usually a carb-girl (love them, eat them, couldn't do without them!) and now they don't appeal to me that much. I guess it will all work itself out and I am positive that my little one will get what they need. If I have a craving I indulge it, but the best I can usually do is a few bites of ice cream.

Dh is joking with me saying I'm saving all my appetite up for nursing If that's the case, I will welcome my appetite back with open arms!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#17 of 18 Old 07-26-2007, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Leafwood - are you still having m/s? How's the anxiety, btw?

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#18 of 18 Old 07-26-2007, 12:34 PM

I've gained 7 lbs so far- I'm 5'5 and was 125 prepreg and now I'm at 132. (16 wks)
I alternate between being starving and eating a ton to totally pukey and not eating much at all.

Don't stress about you weight too much! I gained 40 lbs with #1 and 60 with #2, just listen to your body and eat right. It'll all come off if you want it to :

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page