Leaning on or Pushing on Your Belly Harmful? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-23-2007, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I brought it up at my last appt., but my midwife and the assistants just laughed, so I guess I'm just being paranoid, but just to be sure I want to talk to you ladies about it...

If I lean on a counter and press in on my belly, or if I am pushing in on my belly can I hurt the baby, will I risk rupturing the water sac? I have this urge to press on my uterus to just try to get the baby moving or kicking. I've also leaned on counters (which DH didn't like) and pressed on my belly, plus my puppy has jumped on my belly several times because he hasn't learned yet to not jump on people, plus I've let the dog lie on my belly too (something else DH didn't like). Is this bad, dangerous, or anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 07-23-2007, 01:30 PM

None of the stuff you described sound dangerous to me. DD survived DS wrestling ALL OVER Mommy and this baby has already been pummeled a few times by his siblings throwing some temper tantrums!! The OB would push surprisingly hard on my abdomen to find fundal height too.

They are really very well protected in there, although there's nothing wrong with playing it safe!!
#3 of 11 Old 07-23-2007, 02:28 PM

Think about what sort of traumatic injuries it takes to rupture a spleen. Now consider your baby's bag of water, unlike a spleen, is covered by a very tough muscular organ called the uterus wedged deeply within your pelvis. That's pretty darn protected!

FTR, I've been in two 2nd trimester car crashes (different pregnancies) and did one nasty belly smacker off a horse onto hard packed dirt and never ruptured my waters before birth was imminent. And for all you smarty pants out there I was *not* in active labor on horseback.

~BV
#4 of 11 Old 07-23-2007, 02:28 PM

Sounds safe to me! With a second pregnancy #1 is usually kneeing the stomach at least a few times, and just doesn't understand. I'd say you are fine!
#5 of 11 Old 07-23-2007, 03:22 PM

I think you are fine. My 4 yr old, 2 yr old, and 1 yr old do nothing but jump around on me (apparently, Im a jungle gym and no one told me) not so much my 4 yr old anymore but once in a while he gets crazy lol.. also I lean across a carseat every day to buckle in dd in the middle seat lol.. I lean on counters and stuff reguarly and sleep on my belly.. there is sooo much cushioning baby that you arent doing any harm.. now if you fall and land directly on your belly or something like that, its worth it to check babys heartrate and stuff.. but that still is normally nothing but its good to check
#6 of 11 Old 07-23-2007, 03:25 PM

oh and not to mention, my doppler came in the mail the other day and I used it last night and I had to be kinda rough to figure out what I was doing lol.. I pressed pretty hard to get around to the side of my uterus I think (i dunno what I was doing but it felt like I was on the side of the baby to get the heartbeat? i dunno.. i didnt do it until it hurt but i was rough) and the baby apparently didnt like it because s/he started kicking like crazy.. first TRUE kicks Ive felt lol.. but all is fine still
#7 of 11 Old 07-23-2007, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I think you could probably belly flop face first and the baby would be just fine. Not that you would want to, but your body is built to withstand a lot. And the baby is living is a tough sac of water behind a wall of stomach muscles.

Not to worry. A little counter-leaning is okay. And does that really help you feel movement? I'll have to give it a try.

Total tangent -- with my first baby, my dh and I would spend hours tapping on my belly and she would kick back. Tap, tap, tap....kick, kick, kick. I was bruised from the inside and the outside, but it was loads of fun.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#8 of 11 Old 07-23-2007, 04:25 PM
g&a

I had an external version with dd and after that have absolutely no worries about bugging the little bean with a poke or a prod. I think it would hurt you enough to make you stop before you ever came in danger of hurting your little one. Not that I'd go around trying or anything....

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#9 of 11 Old 07-23-2007, 04:32 PM

When I was preggo with my second my first used my belly as a trampoline all the time! I tried to catch him but you know how that goes. Now I have two bouncing off of me...not to mention a cat and a few dogs...I swear I am always fending off someone!

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#10 of 11 Old 07-24-2007, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, all! I kinda new it was a silly 1st time mom kinda question, but it never hurts to ask. I appreciate the reassurance.
#11 of 11 Old 07-24-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyisrrs View Post
Thanks, all! I kinda new it was a silly 1st time mom kinda question, but it never hurts to ask. I appreciate the reassurance.
I disagree about it being a silly first time mom question. In our society, while we do have sex ed (don't get pregnant or STDs) in schools, we have pathetically little in the way of normal human body functioning and sexuality education.

BV, wishing our society was such that your question would be silly

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page