sense of smell? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-25-2007, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the past week or two, my sense of smell has been ... nil. My son's diapers used to alert me from across the room, but now I can hold him up to my nose and not smell a thing. Is this pregnancy related?

I'm not congested, but I have the most awful sinus headache today. Maybe related? But the smell thing started days ago... Anyway, is anyone else seeing something similar?
#2 of 14 Old 07-25-2007, 08:24 PM

Hmm strange lol. Im completely opposite. I can smell things I never would have before lol.. and Im completely congested in my nose..
#3 of 14 Old 07-25-2007, 08:59 PM

All morning I've been inventing smells. Like, I kept smelling McDonald's fries no matter where I was, even though it was impossible. I think my heightened sense of smell has reached new (and imaginary) heights!

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#4 of 14 Old 07-25-2007, 08:59 PM

Im completely opposite. I wish it wasnt so bad. I can smell things that have never bugged me before. The trash literally has to be taken out everyday, if not more often or I can smell it from the other side of the house.
#5 of 14 Old 07-25-2007, 09:14 PM

You know what else? No matter how many times I clean the fridge, it still retains some kind of "Fridge Smell," and I can't stand it! I have to get my guy to fetch stuff for me out of it, or else I have to hold my nose and run away from it when I have what I need. How ridiculous!

I won't miss losing this symptom when it goes, that's for sure.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#6 of 14 Old 07-25-2007, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

That's so funny! I forgot all about pregnancy nose until reading your posts, but now it sounds familiar. Hm. I guess it's not pregnancy related...
#7 of 14 Old 07-25-2007, 09:37 PM

My prego nose can be a real problem. I had to stop doing AVON w/ dc#2 because of it. To this day I can't deal w/ most avon products. This time I can't even walk into our local convience store/gas station b/c of the fried food oder!!! It's horrible! There are days when I'm dying for a fountain drink, but I can NOT bring myself to walk in there!
#8 of 14 Old 07-25-2007, 09:56 PM

yeah, I've got the overactive nose too. I was telling DH it's unfortunate that with my "powers" there aren't more GOOD things to smell around. Seems like everything smells BAD. I need to get out in the woods more and smell mountains and rivers and trees. MMMMMMM instead of dealing with automotive exhaust and trash and dog poop and any artificially scented product (I can't go down the detergent row in the grocery store.)

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#9 of 14 Old 07-25-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
You know what else? No matter how many times I clean the fridge, it still retains some kind of "Fridge Smell," and I can't stand it! I have to get my guy to fetch stuff for me out of it, or else I have to hold my nose and run away from it when I have what I need. How ridiculous!
That is me too! I have now become quite used to plugging my nose when I am looking for something in both the fridge or the freezer! It makes me laugh when I think about it!

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#10 of 14 Old 07-25-2007, 10:02 PM

I smell everything. And all food sounds utterly disgusting until I actually force myself to eat it. Of course sometimes it actually is disgusting and I still puke anyway, natch.

My nose could smell a flea fart in Alaska.
#11 of 14 Old 07-26-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post

I won't miss losing this symptom when it goes, that's for sure.

YES!! I can't stand that fridge smell. eww. the pantry stinks too- dh says it just smells like macaroni. lol. i dunno.

also? i have to change the sheets like twice a week. they smell like toddler sweat and... skin or something. blek!

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#12 of 14 Old 07-26-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dov'sMom View Post
For the past week or two, my sense of smell has been ... nil. My son's diapers used to alert me from across the room, but now I can hold him up to my nose and not smell a thing. Is this pregnancy related?

I'm not congested, but I have the most awful sinus headache today. Maybe related? But the smell thing started days ago... Anyway, is anyone else seeing something similar?
I had something similar awhile back, where I could breathe through my nose without a problem, but couldn't smell a thing and also had sinus pressure in other parts of my head. It sounds like a sinus blockage, which folks say can be common in pregnancy.

Through most of the first trimester of this pregnancy, I've either had no sense of smell and no morning sickness, but have struggled to breathe, OR the sense of smell (and the breathing) return only to have a renewed wave of m/s with my body having to adjust to all of those olfactory nuances... blech! Luckily it all seems to be fading away these days.
#13 of 14 Old 07-26-2007, 01:18 PM

While I was away visitng family for a few days, DH took out his pipe and tobacco. They are sitting in the kitchen, stinking the whole place up and making me sick to my stomach.
#14 of 14 Old 07-26-2007, 09:11 PM

I *wish* I couldn't smell stuff! Unfortunately, I smell EVERYTHING. The slightest gross smell makes me gag, anything really bad will send me running to the toilet. Oy. I wish I could stop the smell-induced-vomiting!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page