hpv? other? scared - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-02-2007, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
abnormal pap smear, they say high risk.. probabley hpv. anyone know anything? . i did some resurch on the web, just wondering if any other pregers are going through this? going in for more tests, can't remember the name. worried. wondering if it is'nt hpv, what elce it could be??!! freakin.
#2 of 14 Old 08-02-2007, 03:11 PM

I say take that information with a grain of salt. From what I understand it is not uncommon for pregnant women to show abnormal PAPS. Good luck to you whatever you find out.
#3 of 14 Old 08-02-2007, 03:18 PM

I wouldn't worry yet if it is your first abnormal pap. Usually they will check you every six months. My sister had an abnormal pap and gets checked every six months and she declined getting a colpo (sp?) done.(where they take part of your cervix to test it) Don't do it unless you have had a lot of bad paps!!!!

Don't let them scare you until there is sure evidence that you have it or you have many abnormal paps they might be trying to get you to get the hpv vaccine which has been known to cause spontaneous abortion in pregnant women.

For more information you can check out the vaccine thread here....tons on the HPV vaccine..

I wouldn't worry yet unless you have had many bad paps.

Hugs to you mama!!

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#4 of 14 Old 08-02-2007, 03:24 PM

: try not to stress. i had a friend who had 2 abnormals during pregnancy and she waited until after the birth to do anything about it and lo and behold it had spontaneously healed?! if you need piece of mind, the medicos will be pushing a cone biospy. if you feel comfortable waiting it out, just get yourself scheduled for a pap a couple of months after the birth.
#5 of 14 Old 08-02-2007, 04:04 PM

i don't know much about this just wanted to show some support and say don't stress too much. i have also heard that abnormal paps are common during pregnancy. i know that this may not make you feel completely better, but i wouldn't have a breakdown about it yet. Good luck! I hope it is nothing.
#6 of 14 Old 08-02-2007, 04:49 PM

Oh dear, how stressful for you! On the bright side, everything I've read states that having HPV while pregnant does not put you or your baby at any kind of risk, and the chances of passing on the HPV to your baby are extremely low. HPV is more common than you'd think, too--the CDC states that by the time they reach age 50, at least 80 percent of American women will acquire some sort of genital HPV infection.

You can read general HPV information here:

http://www.vaginapagina.com/index.ph...irus_%28HPV%29

And you can read about pregnancy-specific HPV here:

http://www.webmd.com/sexual-conditions/hpv-pregnancy

Finally, there are plenty of things an abnormal Pap can mean during pregnancy, which you can read about here:

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/wom...lpapsmear.html

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#7 of 14 Old 08-02-2007, 05:11 PM

Is this your first abnormal pap? I have had several ab paps prior to pg but they are all mild dysplasia (meaning that the changes on the cervix are low-grade). Have they tested you for HPV or are they assuming thats what it is? They can certainly test you for sure.

When they say high-risk are they saying high-grade? High grade is usually equal to moderate to severe dysplasia or even carcinoma in-situ which is essentially pre-cancer. If you have anything except carcinoma in-situ I wouldn't worry. Generally, the cervix does go through a lot of changes while pg even if you have HPV. Even if your cervical changes warrant some attention its truly up to you how far you go for treatment.

In all honesty, I haven't have a normal pap in years but since its never gone beyond mild dysplasia, I don't opt for any colposcopies (when they look at your cervix via a large microscope called a colposcope) or biopsies (when they actually sample a piece of your cervix) while I am pg. I did consent to a vaginal exam but because I wanted to make sure pg didn't increase the cell changes or anything. My last pap came back with no changes since the last one and unless it came back as severe I woudn't have a colpo until after my baby is born.

Also, it doesn't matter if you've never had an abnormal pap before. Because so many changes happen to the cervix in pg it is extremely plausible for your cervix to go haywire in a negative direction that is truly harmful to your body. Not to scare you, but it is definitely possible to develop pre-cancer/cancer while pg, especially if you have HPV.

If I were you, I'd ask for a thin-prep papsmear (they can tell you what strain(s) of HPV you have if you ask them) or even consent to a colposcopy (to get a better look) to determine what level you are at now. Both of these tests are essentially non-threatening to your baby. Just know that biopsies are usually what is done next to determine the exactly what the tissue on your cervix is doing. They really need to be able to justify this if this is the next step. The problem is that you won't know they need to do a biopsy until they're already looking at your cervix with a colposcope which means you're already spread eagle on the table.

Also, I should tell you that sometimes the cervix goes back to normal after birth b/c of all the stretching and work that the cervix undergoes during birth. In a sense, the birthing process is healing to cervix with regards to HPV and dysplasia.

Feel free to PM me with any additional questions.

Ph.D. Mama to Anaiah born 10/06/07 and Mathias born 11/14/09 and Wife to my cocoa puff DH.
My Cup Runs Over Daily!

www.becomingamommy.com

#8 of 14 Old 08-02-2007, 09:17 PM

I wouldn't say HPV is something to freak out about right away. But, the truth is that when I first found out I had it, I did freak out. Several months after my Gyn saying I had it, I found out I was pregnant. (I never had any warts or any symotoms, nor did my parter). My doctor decided to do nothing the entire pregnancy, hoping that the cells would heal themselves after birth. My ob/gyn was of the opinion that giving birth actually helps heal HPV....and she assured me that in my case, there was no harm in waiting, it would not turn into cancerous cells.

After my daughter was born, the cells did not manage to heal themselves, and my ob/gyn adviced me to have the LEEP procedure done. It wasn't my favorite thing to do, but it did work. No more presence of the abnormal cells, no problems. That was 3 years ago and my PAPs have all been normal since.

HPV is very common. There is really no reason to freak out. I am not sure why they would say high-risk because of HPV. I hope you get some more information when you go in again. Try to stay calm if you can, take some Rescue Remedy (Bach Flower Essence, which is safe during pregnancy).

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

#9 of 14 Old 08-03-2007, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you lady's. It's so nice to have an extended community!
So, I started to blow off the idea of an abnormal pap,knowing that they are common and misdiagnosed often during pregnancy. but the ob stopped me and said no, this is not a mistake or because you are pre gnant. She seemed to be pretty positive that it was hpv. (i really hope so, this sounds less scary then full blown cancer) I don't believe i was tested for Hpv specificly just a normal pap. She does not want to do a biopsy but does want to do a colposcapie(sp). well i go again on the 7th, wish me luck. i feel pretty positive, just scared once in a while. thanks again for all the feedback. love light and music.
#10 of 14 Old 08-03-2007, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

INSPIRED 007
i would love to pm you, whoever, i just can't figure out how to do it. silly i know.
#11 of 14 Old 08-03-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imajika View Post
INSPIRED 007
i would love to pm you, whoever, i just can't figure out how to do it. silly i know.
Click on my name, it should say "send private message to inspired007".

Ph.D. Mama to Anaiah born 10/06/07 and Mathias born 11/14/09 and Wife to my cocoa puff DH.
My Cup Runs Over Daily!

www.becomingamommy.com

#12 of 14 Old 08-03-2007, 03:10 PM

Good luck at your next appt. I hope you get some good news soon.
#13 of 14 Old 08-05-2007, 05:07 PM

I personally wouldn't worry about it...I apparently had an abnormal pap in November that came back as HPV. Well, I didn' get the rsults back, despite the fact that I got pg in Dec and m/c at the end of Jan, and all of this happened at the same clinic. It wasn't until I went for my initial appt at 10w with this one that the NP I saw told me about the results. She said since I was pregnant there was really nothing they can do. She just said to make sure I follow up with it at my 6 week pp visit to see if the cells are still present. Apparently in most case they will go away on their own over time {according to the NP.}

My best friend's sister had an abnormal pap during pregnancy. Her OB told her it showed pre-cancerous cells and they needed to take the baby early so she could begin treatment. She had a c-section at 32 weeks at her OBs insistence, then went to begin treatment for her pre-cancerous cells and guess what, her pp pap came back completely normal! There was nothing wrong with her.

So yeah, based off those personal experiences, I refused the pap at my inital appointment and if I wasn't UPing, I'd refuse a pap at anytime during pregnancy.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#14 of 14 Old 08-07-2007, 06:28 PM

I had multiple abnormal paps(LSIL 3 times and HSIL 1 time) and had the colposcopy done and my doc said that what she saw and what the paps results were did not match up. She said my cervix didnt show as many abnormal areas as she was anticipating. I did end up doing a biopsy and cryo to freeze the abnormal cells. I was tested for hpv at anouther clinic where I had a pap done 6 months later and it came up negative for hpv. I did have abnormal cells again but we had been ummm vigorously trying to get pregnant for about a week straight before the pap and it could have irritated my cervix. There are degrees of abnormal cells. The first are just abnormal cells, the next are called LSIL and then HSIL and then dysplasia I beleive after that. I googled and got the details on each one but dont remember off the top of my head.

Anyways, even if in situations where there are cancerous cells, I have read that they are really slow growing and alot can be done to treat and get rid of the cells as well as enough time to wait and make some reading and decision making and thats the worst case scenario.

The cervix is a funny thing, very finicky! The cryo and biopsy I had were a bit like menstral cramps and mainly made my lower back sore but not unbearable. I was not pregnant when I had this done btw.
Angela

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page