why no recliner? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-02-2007, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sitting here in my recliner with my laptop on my lap , and I've seen a couple warnings about not sitting in a recliner. Can someone please tell me what's wrong with this? Thanks!
#2 of 10 Old 08-02-2007, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know why there would be anything wrong with that... I spent the last part of my first pregnancy in a recliner and for a fact I think the dr. recommended that if I was having trouble sleeping due to heartburn or other issues. You aren't supposed to be flat on your back after 16 weeks, but a recliner should be fine...

Not in your DDC, but I saw this and wanted to answer...

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#3 of 10 Old 08-02-2007, 06:43 PM

Hrm....I've never heard of this warning. I've only heard what PP said, that it is often recommended to help you sleep later on, or to help with heartburn. I say recline away!

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#4 of 10 Old 08-02-2007, 06:44 PM

The concern is that your uterus can press on the vena cava (I believe) and bloc blood flow to your feet, you get up and your feet are asleep and you fall. I also think they feel this might hamper blood flow to the uterus.

It's the same principle as the idea of not laying flat on your back.
#5 of 10 Old 08-02-2007, 06:54 PM

not in your ddc but ... my midwifes and the birthing class instructor for the class i am in have said that slouching or leaning back in a chair is bad because it encourages the baby to be in a less than optimal position for labor. i think early in pregnancy it is fine but when you get close to 32 weeks it is better to be in positions that encourage the baby to be head down and anterior

a really good web page about baby positions is http://www.spinningbabies.com/

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#6 of 10 Old 08-02-2007, 07:39 PM

What Moonfroggy said. The best way to sit for baby position is straight up! Also wanted to add that it's not the best idea to have a laptop on your lap considering radiation concerns and heat etc.

Opinionated Mama to dd 2/23/03, ds 3/20/05 hbac, dd 1/23/08 2hbac, and baby #4 due in June 2010!
#7 of 10 Old 08-02-2007, 07:47 PM

Yes - agreeing with moonfroggy too. EVERYONE should read spinningbabies.com!! For optimal fetal positioning, using good posture, not reclining, not crossing legs, etc is advised, and it's hard (at least for me) to form new habits overnight, so I'm trying to get in the habit of doing those things NOW so that when I'm 30-some weeks it will be second nature. I've only had heartburn a few times, but I've found relief sleeping in a reclining position on my side.

Andrea...wife, SAHM to 3.5 yo DS and 1 yo DD.

#8 of 10 Old 08-02-2007, 10:18 PM

Yeah, the recliner is bad because it can cause baby to get comfy in bad positions making aches, pains, and labor more difficult.. I just get used to not sitting in a recliner during the beginning of my pregnancy. Sitting indian style is best Soo Ive been sitting indian style at the computer chair which is pretty much the only place I sit other than the kitchen table and car lol
#9 of 10 Old 08-02-2007, 11:26 PM

yes i ended up with a posterior baby last time and was told that i needed to get out of the recliner immediately and make sure the seat of my car and chairs i sat in the seat was flat or tilted down not up...so it is not just how the back of the chair is but also the seat.
#10 of 10 Old 08-02-2007, 11:38 PM

Yep, just so you get the VERY IMPORTANT message, I will second what moonfroggy said. It has to do with optimal fetal positioning. Posterior babies, for most women, are NOt FUN.
you should NEVER,EVER recline in the last trimester. No recliners. No bucket seats in cars(get a wedge). No leaning back reclining on the couch. Get a birth ball. sit on it. Get in the hands and knees position every day. etc.

CPST

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page