What all do you plan on buying... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 08-20-2007, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and when do you plan on buying it. I really need to get on this as the only thing I've bought so far have been diapers. I know we will be buying the carseats, a new sling, some essentials like lap pads, changing table foamy thing, and whatever else I deem necessary for hte beginning. I will wait until after a shower (if I have one) to get the small things, but I think I need to go ahead and figure out the carseat thing. My OB told me to get everything ready by 28 weeks incase I need to go on bedrest or something I guess I need to get my rear in gear!
#2 of 28 Old 08-20-2007, 08:37 PM

We need carseats for the new babe and a booster for my oldest and a carseat for my youngest!! Bad timing financially but its gotta be done

A pretty wrap for the new babe.

Some newborn diapers and a cute new outfit thats brandnew otherwise we have hand me downs.

hmm, I cant think of anything else and as for when I will buy these, as soon as I get off my bum and get to a store for the carseats, and I will order the sling hopefully soon.

I dont buy the newborn outfit until I am just about to pop! It gives me something to get excited about having a baby near the end when I am huge and miserable!
Angela
#3 of 28 Old 08-20-2007, 09:11 PM

We already got our stroller, 'cause it's not made anymore and I've wanted it for two years (it's a reversable one) and I found an amazing deal on Ebay. I also found a great deal on a crib & mattress from Craigslist. Otherwise, we probably won't buy a lot. Well that's not true. I've bought all my cloth diapers and I have my slings from babysitting. We'll probably wait until after our shower to get anything else major.

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#4 of 28 Old 08-20-2007, 09:46 PM

I gave all my baby stuff that I wasn't still using away when dh and I decided to wait a few years before TTC again. I got pregnant about two months after giving away the bulk of the stuff, one month after finishing off even the clothing.

I need:

A baby carrier (right now going back and forth between a Mei Tai and a Beco, I want them both! Might get both if I can afford it)

Mini cosleeper w/at least three sheets

Diapers, I'm going to make the majority of them but I'll probably buy a few WAHM ones also.

Carseat

Crib w/mattress and sheets (used just a mattress on the floor ala Montessori with the boys but they are very active and physical and I need to know the baby has a safe place to sleep once it is in its own room)

Swing (both boys had reflux, youngest being severe and they needed to stay upright even while sleeping)

Bouncer (same as swing but also for when I shower)

Nursing pillow

Breast pump w/bottles (less of a priority as I'm not going to be working anymore)

Plus clothes and all the little baby stuff like monitors and such. Sigh. I really should've held off on giving away all my stuff.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#5 of 28 Old 08-20-2007, 09:52 PM

I probably won't be buying much....we have saved everything from DS. I am going to CD this time and so my head is : trying to decide which ones to buy. I do want to buy ahead of time so its not such a huge investment at the end. Any suggestions?

I also want to sell our stroller/infant carseat and get a sit and stand or double.

I have been asked to come up w/ some things b/c our mom's group is having a shower for 4 of us due btwn Sept-Jan. I am having a hard time. When you breast feed and CD other than clothes.....you don't need much. I am sure I will be able to come up w/ something.
#6 of 28 Old 08-20-2007, 11:06 PM

- carseat
- changing table foam thingy w/ a cover
- diapers ... i guess a pack or two of prefolds and then a few different kinds of covers to see what will work for this babe's body? we've just made the decision to do the cd laundering ourselves and not use the diaper service that we used last time, so i've got some figuring out to do...
- a boppy, but i think i can get that through a hand-me-down
- some herbs for post-partum sitz baths

between loaners from others we're set on clothes, bouncer seat, swing, some diaper covers.... i like reading these lists, it's helping me organize the budget! i had forgotten about the carseat and that will probably be the most expensive thing we buy.
#7 of 28 Old 08-21-2007, 12:02 AM

I forgot to add a birth kit and herbs and oils for labor and when recovering.I gotta remember to put that on the list.
Angela
#8 of 28 Old 08-21-2007, 02:17 AM

I need more diapers

And, the perfect blue wrap. Not because this baby is a boy, but because I LOVE blue!

I really want an Amby too, but I don't need it...

Kimber
#9 of 28 Old 08-21-2007, 08:06 AM

I need small diaper covers. I sold most off to fund larger covers. I have a huge medium and large stash already.

Also getting:

4-5 newborn outfits - having a c-section on January 3rd, but am pretty sure that's not an accurate dating. : My first was 7'05 at 41 weeks.

changing pad for on top of the dresser. We have two levels now and I'm moving the changing table/supplies downstairs.

hmmm... and that's pretty much it. I have most everything from the last babe.

Dani, wife to Cullen - 9/2002, mom to CJ 11/2004, Billy 12/2007 and Nora 7/2009
#10 of 28 Old 08-21-2007, 09:48 AM

a new britax marathon. will buy that towards the end to get the latest DOM i can, lol. my kids are tiny & fit in them until the expire (at least i hope!)....

clothes! lots of 'em! i'll start buying them next month, probably.

a couple more slings, a pouch & a wrap.... i'll buy the KKAFP towards the end. i have to buy two since i'm between sizes, and then return the ill-fitting one after s/he's born. i'll buy the wrap after i sell some thigns on ebay & have the paypal, lol.

A NEW CAR! lol. my tiny ford focus can absolutely NOT fit another carseat in it. not even a baby bucket - i tried! lol. we'll be buying that around new year's, after dh gets back from deployment.

diapers - all i need is a few more nb covers, and some smalls & we're set to go.

a swing. i thnk i'm going to get a swing this time. it may come in handy since we'll be moving and dh will be gone for a few months in training. i'll get that off craigslist. the papasan cradle swing. dd had a swing & hated it, so i never had one for ds. we'll see.

then i'll do some sewing for the baby soon. so i will need more FABRIC! i'm planning a quilt, wet bag, changing pad, a few dolls/toys, bibs, and a few outfits.

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#11 of 28 Old 08-21-2007, 10:10 AM

We're not going to buy much -- our daughter is only 14 months old, so we hadn't gotten around to getting rid of her stuff yet. We of course need a new carseat, and plenty of newborn diapers -- we don't have any of those, since we didn't start with cloth until our daughter was about 5 months old. We may need to buy another crib/toddler bed (our daughter hates to bedshare with us, so we may need another bed if the new baby is the same way), but that can wait until a couple of months after the baby is born. I have a feeling this one is going to be a boy, so we need to get some clothes that aren't girly, but we're waiting for confirmation before we get that stuff. Um... that's pretty much it. I think.
#12 of 28 Old 08-21-2007, 10:16 AM

Oh yeah, a new car. No way three carseats will fit in our tiny car. But, we needed a new car anyway, ours is a piece of crap I love the features on minivans but it makes me feel old every time I look at one. So, we'll likely go with an SUV. I don't know though... If dh is ok with a minivan we just might go that way. Man, that makes me feel OLD. My MOM drives a minivan!

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#13 of 28 Old 08-21-2007, 10:19 AM

In a fit of infertile woe (it took us a year to get pregnant with this baby, and in March I was told that both my left tube and left ovary were out of commission), I sold my son's crib, changing table, and changing pad, so I had to replace those. Luckily, I found an awesome deal on a great crib/changing table set on craigslist.

I also sold all of Nick's diapers as he outgrew them (to fund the next size up, and because I have really bad luck with elastic on my diapers going crunchy after a couple months of non-use), so I need to buy diapers. I have so far bought 1 dozen bumGenius all-in-ones, but need another dozen for the infant size.

The only other things we really need are a 2nd infant carseat and a baby monitor, though I'd also like a 2nd mei tai carrier and a space saver high chair (because our full-size chair takes up so much room in our kitchen).

I've also had to re-work my guest sleeping arrangements a bit (since the baby's room used to be our guest room), and that involves having to buy a new sofa bed/futon from IKEA to go in our bedroom, and a new comforter set for our bed to match (wink) and a room divider screen to give guests SOME privacy. But you know...that's only tangentially baby-related.
#14 of 28 Old 08-21-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttix2 View Post
Oh yeah, a new car. No way three carseats will fit in our tiny car. But, we needed a new car anyway, ours is a piece of crap I love the features on minivans but it makes me feel old every time I look at one. So, we'll likely go with an SUV. I don't know though... If dh is ok with a minivan we just might go that way. Man, that makes me feel OLD. My MOM drives a minivan!
yes, dh does NOT want a minivan. lol. but i think that's what we'll end up with. we are a one car family, and plan to keep it that way for a while, so he'll have to deal.

we were looking at suv's, adn none of them fit all my criteria. i need easy access to the third row, third row side curtain air bags, a lot of crumple room (and storage!!) behind the third row, not HUGE (aka a 'burb), ect .... and the only suv that came close to fitting those was the Ford Freestyle ... adn that doesn't have the best reviews, not to mention they're changing the name to the "ford taurus x" this year as a last ditch effort to sell some before retiring it, lol.

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#15 of 28 Old 08-21-2007, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

WE went ahead w/ the Suburban b/c it was the only thing that fit all of our criteria. I need the extra cargo room b/c I haul lots of parts for DH's business and I also only go to Wal-Mart like once a month, so it's a big haul when I do go! I also buy in bulk when I can. We were looking at vans b/c they were so much cheaper, but they just didn't have the cargo room I know we will need (and have already used since we bought it a month ago!). We don't drive a lot, only to town once or twice a week, then the Wal-Mart run an hour away once amonth or so, so gas won't kill us
#16 of 28 Old 08-21-2007, 10:34 AM

oops forgot about the carseat. We're still deciding on that. The bucket will do for a while... although DS #1 outgrew it by 3 months.... geezch I hope this one doesn't grow that quick! I want to enjoy the newbornish for a while longer. The plan eventually will be to move #1 to a Britax regent and move #2 into the Marathon we already have.

Dani, wife to Cullen - 9/2002, mom to CJ 11/2004, Billy 12/2007 and Nora 7/2009
#17 of 28 Old 08-21-2007, 10:34 AM

We gave away absolutely everything so we are starting completely over. The good thing is we really don't *need* much...boobs, carseat, clothes and diapers but I want some things like a pack n play for changes and somewhere for him to safely sleep when his older brothers are on the lose.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#18 of 28 Old 08-21-2007, 11:06 AM

Free Thinker - you must live far from civilization like us! We do a Costco run once or sometimes twice a month, and there's no way I'd fit it all in my Saturn. Let alone three car seats in the back! The funny thing is how much grief my Mom gave us for getting a 'burb when our first dc was born. But we figured by the time we got it paid off (it was used) we'd have at least a few more kids, and here we are... just paid it off and on child #3

I'm definately getting the Amby!

I'll need to get another Marathon, but I've heard I can wait a few months on that, as their lowest strap height is pretty high for most newborns. And, uh... DH doesn't know that's on the list

I need diapers / wool. I have zero newborn anything, and I'm a little uncertain about what I want fit wise. It took a lot of experimenting to find out what worked for DD (who was in mediums when we started) and I'm not sure I want to plop down the dough for a couple dozen of said brand if they'll be all leaky, kwim? No diaper services in the boonies, lol!

Oh yeah, and a new baby means and excuse for a new bag : I have an AP3 bag (a lot like the ones on the bottom) that I love.

So that's my shopping list.
#19 of 28 Old 08-21-2007, 11:36 AM

what do we need? uh, everything. But what will we be buying? Probably not much! My mom's last boy was 3 years ago and last girl was 5, so she has an attic full of stuff. THANK GOD.

In fact, when I told her I was pregnant, I called and said "Hey, can I have your baby moses basket in January?"

Mama to Ella (1/15/08) and Django (03/20/11) - remembering 2 angel.gif
#20 of 28 Old 08-21-2007, 11:47 AM
g&a

DH just quit his job and is starting his own company so we have NO $$ for a little while. That said there is a whole list of things that I really want, but don't necessarily need. They're all expensive because now I know what the good stuff is! We still have quite a lot of stuff from DD, thankfully.

cloth diapers - we used sposies for dd, so I am starting from scratch. I want pockets so people other than me will change them (like the dayhome lady). The theory is that this will save $$ in the long run, but I still need to do the math. Of course, I want the most expensive fluff out there. If you're gunna do it, you might as well do it right.

a new sling - my old one is... well...old. It's too big for me, and I want an un-padded one. I may try making my own to save some $$.

ergo - so dh can babywear and I can babywear longer. I have a bad back so this is an issue. Strollers are more expoensive than ergos.

dresser - somehow we have to rearrange the kids bedroom to accomodate another dresser. I wish I knew that co-sleeping was going to work and we could ditch the crib to make room for it.

king size bed! - we need a new bed anyway, so this isn't really for baby, except that it will be king sized to accomodate all of us.

I'm hoping our stroller will be ok. the plan is to sling newbaby and put dd in the stroller, and hopefully by the time newbaby is too big for slinging (or ergo-ing), dd will be big enough to walk longer distances on her own. She'll be 3yrs. 8 months when newbaby is born, so maybe 5 when I need the stroller back??

I think the carseat from DD is still ok, but have to check. It is old, so might need to be replaced.

And if somehow we manage to get everything else on this list (plus whatever I forgot), I'll splurge for a fleece pouch sling as it'll be January and COLD here when newbaby is born.

I hope some family stumbles upon this list - I would really love to be able to get it all. hint. hint.

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#21 of 28 Old 08-21-2007, 12:29 PM

We got rid of everything the last time we moved a few years ago. I've already bought 12 used KL0's, 6 newborn wraps, 24 newborn and 24 infant prefolds from GMD. I still need to get some small covers and some wool then I'll probably pick up a few fun fitteds and covers once we know the gender oh and wipes.

If it's a boy I have a few friends with baby boys who are eager to pass on their clothes, if it's a girl I'll pull out what I have left from mine and see what more we need.

We've got to get a carseat, a queen size bed to replace our worn out full, I'd like to pick up a co-sleeper off of craigslist, a moby wrap, a dresser for their things, a diaper pail and maybe a moses basket. Then I think we're set unless I've forgotten something which is likely.
#22 of 28 Old 09-08-2007, 09:55 AM

I NEED a new carseat. That's the only thing that's necessary. Other than that I MIGHT get a new diaper bag and possibly a new sling.
#23 of 28 Old 09-08-2007, 11:38 AM

Well, I wasn't planning on buying much for this baby, but since finding out that there are two babies baking, I will need to get my butt in gear and start shopping!
We need:
- two infant carseats
- another crib
- a moby D wrap
- lots of diapers! (we'll be using disposables for the first couple of months until the babies grow into smalls then we'll start cloth diapering)
- two bundle me covers by JJ Cole
- a baby scale
- a bigger diaper bag

- still undecided on if we should get a double stroller or not, might wait till after the babes arrive to decide if we need one

- maybe a double breast pump too, but that's another thing we'll be waiting to purchase until after the babies are born if I see the need.
#24 of 28 Old 09-08-2007, 12:35 PM

not much! we have a lot of baby stuff from our other two. ive leant most of it to my mom for her foster baby, but ill get it back when i need it.

we always get or are gifted a sheeps skin for each child.. its a special thing and both my kids love theirs now that they are older..

one thing that im debating is ;getting a new car seat. the one we have has been used by so many babies.. we got it new for my son (he will be 5 in december) its been used by friends for their baby, my neice, my daughter, my moms foster baby.. im not sure if its still safe after 5 years and so much use (no accidents though) ill have to look into it.

i would like to buy myself/ baby a new mattress of some kind.. preferably organic cotton or wool futon, but its $$$ that we dont have.. but maybe i can manifest it!

otherwise we need a few cloth diapers (i knit the soakers myself) and maybe a few cute baby clothes from the thrift shop..

my list is pretty short

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#25 of 28 Old 09-08-2007, 01:07 PM

Well, I'm leaving the clothes to family and friends because I'm very "particular" about the gear and furniture. That being said...

I still need to buy:
  • The carseat
  • The boppy pillow
  • the crib, mattress and bedding set
  • A playard/ travel crib

Well thats all the big things I still have to buy, but their are so many little things I need to stock up on like washclothes, pacifiers: and I haven't even begun to think about diapers! I have so much to do and not enough time to get it all done:

Mama to 01/2008 and anxiously awaiting due July 2011
#26 of 28 Old 09-08-2007, 07:13 PM

I'm planning on buying cloth diapers, cloth diapers, some cloth diapers, and oh yeah, some cloth diapers. :

We have e v e r y t h i n g we need for this kid, as we have 3 sets of very enthusiastic grandparents who bought the sun, moon, and stars for ds and then some: , so we need NOTHING but cloth diapers.

My best girlfriend today saw these pink bibs in a baby store and said, "oooh, if you're having a girl I am so buying these..." I said "NOOOO!! Buy me a pink cloth diaper instead!!" She said fine, she'll buy me a pink cloth diaper....and the bibs. LOL.
#27 of 28 Old 09-09-2007, 09:40 PM

We love our Toyota Sienna 8 passenger mini van.. I cant imagine life without it now lolol

Anyways, we are going all out buying everything out there since this is our last and I know I wont use half of it but half the fun is buying it lol.. Yes, Im weird. Ive just always loved baby products.

Sooo I have left to buy:

crib bedding
room decor (lamp, wall art, paint, etc.)
hamper
some more blankets (im used to spring babies in FL)
some more clothes
diapers
bassinet (we already have 2 in the bed so I think Im going to put the baby in a bassinet until hes a little bigger to fight off the big kids)
glider seat (not the adult glider but the baby glider i think its called soothing motions glider or something?)
swings (1 upstairs, 1 downstairs)
playpen for downstairs so the big kids dont kill the baby.. lol. when my 4 yr old was 2 and my dd was a newborn (not to mention 4 lb preemie newborn), my oldest ended up jumping onto her feet first at full speed!! so yeah, a safe place to lay the baby is a must lol
oh and another double stroller for disney and a triple stroller (4 kids ages 4 and under!!)
and then i just need little things like pacifiers (didnt use them last time will this time), soap, lotion, another few pairs of nail clippers (we lose them like crazy), a few more pairs of baby legs, a few more hooded towels, and 2 new boppys (our old one got puked on and even after washing it, its still stained and I would rather just fork over another $25 lol.) Im going to get 1 for upstairs and 1 for downstairs..
oh and a miracle blanket..
#28 of 28 Old 09-10-2007, 05:46 PM

Wow, my list is pretty short compared to some people LOL
I need
- a few cloth diapers, we actually plan to do natural infant hygiene this time around.
-an infant potty, though that can wait until the baby is around 4-6 months, whenever the baby can sit up.
-a sling for my dh, he's very excited I have a wrap, so I don't need one.
-a carseat. We plan to get one that is from 5-80lbs, rather than the usual infant carseat.
-a few baby clothes, cloth wipes, and those crazy blankets that I ended up using for everything from spit up to actual blanketing, and maybe some organic soap.

What I would love to get, but not planning on:
-a quinny stroller Even my dh is swayed to the quinny after we looked at one in Sears.

I actually gave away all of my baby stuff, including my books. The only thing I wish I still had was the cloth diapers and the blankets seriously, they were invaluable!

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page